Desert Island Album Game IV: Rules and Sign-up Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Welcome to the fourth installment of the Desert Island Album Game! We're ready for another round after a nice break. I will be overseeing this edition of the tournament, with support from Screwtape behind the scenes.

The premise of the game is to create a "desert island" tracklist, i.e. the best musical experience you can offer. Keep in mind that a great tracklist depends on more than just great songs; cohesion is essential.

THE RULES
1. Your collection may not exceed 2 hours, 40 minutes, 0 seconds in length. You may employ any medium you desire, with the two most common being two CDs of no more than 80 minutes each and unbroken "iPod tracklists". ANY ENTRY 160:01 (2 hours, 40 minutes, 1 second) OR LONGER WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY DISQUALIFIED.
2. You may only use ONE song by any particular artist. In this rule, we are concerned with one continuous song; if the song is split into separate tracks or movements (e.g. to fit on vinyl), all tracks or movements may be included. For example, if you wanted to have both parts of the song "Perfect Sense" by Roger Waters, this would be acceptable even though they are split over two tracks, as it is basically one song. However, if you wish to do this, please clear it with the organisers first. For the sake of this tournament, Passengers will be considered to be a separate artist to U2.
3. Every selection must appear on an OFFICIAL RELEASE by that artist. It may be any form of release: album, single, official live release, rarities box set, iTunes only release, or even a free track from the artist's official site. Unreleased tracks (e.g. U2's Mercy) and live bootlegs are not allowed ("official bootlegs" by bands such as Pearl Jam are permitted).
4. Tracks may not be edited/shortened in any way, e.g. you may not cut off the fade up section at the beginning of U2's Exit. You must use the official album run time. In the case of One Tree Hill, however, you may use either version (the misprinted version without the coda or the correct version with the coda). Naturally, this rule does not apply to official edits covered by rule #3, such as radio edits. Furthermore, you may edit a track to remove a separate hidden track at the end, e.g. Transatlantic's Stranger In Your Soul or Nirvana's Something In The Way.
5. If you have competed in ONE or TWO prior editions of the game, you MUST NOT REPEAT ANY SONGS from your previous entries. If you have competed in ALL prior editions, you must not repeat any songs from your entries to Desert Island II or III; however, although discouraged, repeats from Desert Island I will be permitted. Songs used in the Prog Island and Symphonic mini-tournaments may be repeated at will.
6. Any entry that violates one of these rules or pushes one of these rules is subject to being banned from the competition.

READ THE NEXT PARAGRAPH
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT

For this competition, please do NOT post your entries in this thread. Please e-mail them to both myself at go-figure@comcast.net and Screwtape at InaKafkaTragedy@aol.com

Here's what we require from you:
1. Your tracklisting. See below for formatting.
2. Links to uploads of your tracklisting so that others may hear the music they do not know. Although optional in the past, this is now mandatory, and if you cannot do uploads, do not bother entering. We recommend uploading your tracklist in ZIP folders (usually 3, as there is a 100MB file size limit) to Media Fire.com (remove the space).
3. OPTIONAL: A paragraph with any additional details on your tracklisting, e.g. why you made the choices you made, any important facts you wish to note, why you think people should vote for your tracklistings, etc.
4. OPTIONAL: A cover for your tracklist, and any other additional materials you believe are essential to the full package. Please provide a stable link to the cover image on a picture hosting website.

FORMATTING - READ CAREFULLY
We require submissions to use the following format EXACTLY:

Forum name: [Your Interference name here]

Tracklist:

TRACKLIST TITLE (if you give it one)

Track #. Band Name - "Song Title" - Album Name (Time in Minutes:Seconds)
1. Please - "Follow This Format" - Thank You (20:15)
2. It Helps A Lot - "If You Follow This" - To The Letter (10:45)
3. Life Is Easier - "When People Do" - What Is Asked In The Rules (15:00)
4. Rules - "Are Not Hard" - To Follow (15:30)
5. Grammar, Punctuation, And Order - "Should Be Just Like They Are" - In This Example (7:15)
6. Thank You Very Much - "In Advance" - For Adhering To This Style! (43:20)

Total runtime: 112:05

DEADLINE
All submissions MUST be made by 10pm, 31 March 2008, US eastern savings time, which corresponds to 2am Greenwich Mean Time, 1 April 2008 and midday Australian eastern standard time, 1 April 2008. The master list will be posted just after this deadline and the competition will begin the following Monday. You may submit items separately, e.g. you do not have to provide upload links the second you submit your tracklisting, but you must have all submissions made by that deadline.

CONTESTANTS
This tournament will have twenty contestants admitted on a first come, first served basis. Contestants will be divided into four groups of five and the top two from each group will proceed to the quarter-finals. A seeding system managed by myself and Screwtape will be used for previous contestants, and one whole group reserved for people who have not competed before.

To register your intention to compete, add your name to the following list:

1. phanan
2. Screwtape2
3. Axver
4. KhanadaRhodes
5. phillyfan26
6. the tourist

If you have a question, feel free to ask away and I'll be more than happy to assist.

Good luck!

:)

Can links to these mixes be made available to those who aren't competing? The entries last time looked interesting and I hadn't heard of a lot of the songs used.

monkeyskin said:
Can links to these mixes be made available to those who aren't competing? The entries last time looked interesting and I hadn't heard of a lot of the songs used.

As it's a public poll, I don't think it would be fair to exclude anyone from link access.

monkeyskin said:

If you do get them, would you also participate in the voting? It would really help to have a few more voters. :up:

Coolies, didn't realise it was an open vote.

monkeyskin@hotmail.com

And yeah I'll vote. Seeing as how my online DVD rental runs out at the start of April I'll have some more time to fill :wink:

Last edited:
When uploading them, do they have to be in order in the zip file? Or will it be assumed that, once downloaded, people will put them into their proper playlist order on their media player?

Hahaha, tell that to someone who spent 6 hours making the best playlist he could with the songs he chose. :lol:

Some people, like myself, retag the songs so that when others download them, they are automatically in order.

Of course, if they decide to keep the song afterwards, they'll have to tag it back to the correct album.

phanan said:

3. Every selection must appear on an OFFICIAL RELEASE by that artist. It may be any form of release: album, single, official live release, rarities box set, iTunes only release, or even a free track from the artist's official site. Unreleased tracks (e.g. U2's Mercy) and live bootlegs are not allowed ("official bootlegs" by bands such as Pearl Jam are permitted).

So, if I have my own song, can I not included it since it's not an "official release"? Two of the songs I chose (one being my own) were available for download by the artist via myspace. Is that allowed?

Re: Re: Desert Island Album Game IV: Rules and Sign-up Thread

the tourist said:

So, if I have my own song, can I not included it since it's not an "official release"? Two of the songs I chose (one being my own) were available for download by the artist via myspace. Is that allowed?

I think if the artist's page releases the songs than it is an offical release but I would like Phanan's opinion on it. :)

Re: Re: Re: Desert Island Album Game IV: Rules and Sign-up Thread

Screwtape2 said:

I think if the artist's page releases the songs than it is an offical release but I would like Phanan's opinion on it. :)

Okay. Sounds good.

Screwtape2 said:
In the past I don't think we have allowed that but I think it might allow more people to participate so I'm going to say it is okay. I think Phanan would agree. So yes. :)

All right, awesome. :)

In that case Irishteen and I will be doing an entry together.

Re: Re: Desert Island Album Game IV: Rules and Sign-up Thread

the tourist said:

An artist who has made a recording available online would be considered an official release by that artist, and therefore acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom