Desert Island Album Game IV: Rules and Sign-up Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
liamcool said:
No, General Alarm, it's fine. You can join, if I'm not mistaken.

Awesome! Captain Obvious joining in now.

Is there a minimum time that we have for this playlist? I'm currently at 1:46:33 and don't really have much else that needs to be on.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I'm thinking of doing something more conceptual this time. I need another day or two to stew over it, though.

You know what would be interesting, to me at least? If playlists were posted anonymously, so that everyone votes only by the playlist. I've wondered in past competitions how much some people have voted based on whose playlist it was rather than on the playlist itself. I have a feeling most of us would have some songs that would give us away, but it would still be interesting to see. Just a suggestion :shrug:

I have no issue trying this, although to be honest, I think most of us will have an idea as to who's playlist each one is.

And, of course, Screwtape and myself will know.

One spot left.

1. phanan
2. Screwtape2
3. Axver
4. KhanadaRhodes
5. phillyfan26
6. the tourist
7. PlaTheGreat
8. BonoIsMyMuse
9. LemonMacPhisto
10. impy13
11. LemonMelon
12. Lemonchick/Irishteen
13. liamcool
14. bono_212
15. yertle-the-turtle
16. DaveC
17. LJT
18. AtomicBono
19. major_panic

You've got the last spot. :up:

In the past, we've sometimes had a person or two fall off before the start of the competition, so if anyone missed out and wishes to be an alternate, just say so.

If I want to put a hip hop track on my playlist, and there's a skit at the end of the song on the mp3 I have, does the skit count against my time?

phanan said:
You've got the last spot. :up:

In the past, we've sometimes had a person or two fall off before the start of the competition, so if anyone missed out and wishes to be an alternate, just say so.

I'll be an alternate. :up:

Last edited:
DaveC said:
If I want to put a hip hop track on my playlist, and there's a skit at the end of the song on the mp3 I have, does the skit count against my time?

I would say that since the skit is included in the track, the time would count.

However, if it's one of those cases where it's definitely not part of the song itself, you can always edit it so it's not included.

Do you want the skit on there?

phanan said:

I would say that since the skit is included in the track, the time would count.

However, if it's one of those cases where it's definitely not part of the song itself, you can always edit it so it's not included.

Do you want the skit on there?

I'm not using the song anymore, so it doesn't really matter.

Another question: can I use a live version of a track in my uploaded playlist, if the version I use comes from an officially released live album? There is a studio version of the track, but I'd rather use the live version.

I'm really enjoying coming up with a playlist here - this is the kind of thing I want to do for a living (music production/engineering) so I'm putting a lot of effort in. :up:

DaveC said:

Another question: can I use a live version of a track in my uploaded playlist, if the version I use comes from an officially released live album? There is a studio version of the track, but I'd rather use the live version.

I'm really enjoying coming up with a playlist here - this is the kind of thing I want to do for a living (music production/engineering) so I'm putting a lot of effort in. :up:

Yes, offically released live material is fair game. In fact I'm using a live track in mine.

I would like to get into music production too. I would love to be a producer. Have you had any experience in the field?

Screwtape2 said:
I would like to get into music production too. I would love to be a producer. Have you had any experience in the field?

Not really. I mean, I made a beat once (it was terrible) in FruityLoops back in '05, but I really had no idea what I was doing and was just trying to make a backing track to loop so a guy I knew could freestyle over it. Other than that, I ran sound at the church I used to go to (mixing, keeping track of volume levels, hooking up microphones, and recording the service) on a large pro mixing board for about 6 or 7 years.

I'm going into a studio at some point this summer (I have a buddy who's an audio engineer who can get me time) to record a four-track demo to send to the music school in Vancouver that I want to go to. They only accept 12 students a year so I'm going to ask him to show me how to mix and master it myself so I can use it as production experience for admissions. :up:

Have you got any production experience? How do you plan to get into it?

Hmm, I was just thinking about when this was going to start again. Looks like I missed it this time.

Mark me down for an alternate though if you need one.

DaveC said:

Have you got any production experience? How do you plan to get into it?

I don’t have any experience yet but my dad is building a recording studio in his basement and teaching me about record production. I think he’ll let me get experience by mixing and producing the artists that play there. After some experience there, I will look for a job (hopefully mixing or working creatively with artists) at a local studio. Omaha has a big Indie scene so that is reasonable.

I think I would make a great producer. I work well with people to get the most out of them. I see myself as a Todd Rundgren or Brian Eno. I always have musical ideas that come easily to me. I have a knack for dissecting the layers of a produced song. I think I would be best at mixing from a musical standpoint.

What are some of your producing qualities?

Our sign-ups are complete as of now:

1. phanan
2. Screwtape2
3. Axver
4. KhanadaRhodes
5. phillyfan26
6. the tourist
7. PlaTheGreat/the rockin edge
8. BonoIsMyMuse
9. LemonMacPhisto
10. impy13
11. LemonMelon
12. Lemonchick/Irishteen
13. liamcool
14. bono_212
15. yertle-the-turtle
16. DaveC
17. LJT
18. AtomicBono
19. major_panic
20. Lara Mullen

1st Alternate: Cute Irish Bono
2nd Alternate: Lancemc

Last edited:
Also, remember that the rockin edge has been added to PlatheGreat as a team member.

That is a GREAT list. Competition will be fierce this time out. The only disappointment is that there aren't as many newcomers as there were last time. :slant:

Screwtape2 said:
What are some of your producing qualities?

I have no idea. Like I said, I only ran sound for a church service - and I was a teenager then, too. Not really much to develop a style, per se. :shrug:

I think I've finished my playlist - time to start writing. :yes:

What's the policy on leaked tracks that'll be officially released after the submission date?

It has to be officially released before submissions are due, so in this case, March 31st.

However, if it is something that comes out on Tuesday, April 1 for the U.S., I'll allow it, as those same releases generally come out a day earlier in Europe and other parts of the world.

I've been thinking about having the tournament run with anonymous playlists, and while I think it's an interesting idea, I'm not really certain how anonymous the playlists will be. For our new players, we obviously may not figure it out as quickly, but all the returning players tend to utilize a few artists every time (including me), while others have a distinct style for doing this that would give them away easily (like Screwtape). And as the tournament goes on, I'm sure some will be revealed anyway.

I don't mind either way - I just don't know how anonymous it will end up being. I'll put it to the masses here and go with the majority opinion. So everyone, feel free to give your take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom