Desert Island Album Game III: Rules and Sign-up Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Welcome to the third installment of the Desert Island Album Game! After two full installments and the trial Prog Island, this game looks set to be the best yet. I shall oversee the tournament, but as I am no longer a premium member, phanan will be doing most of the work with making polls and such. Screwtape will, as per usual, have an important role behind the scenes.

The premise of the game is to create a "desert island" tracklist, i.e. the best musical experience you can offer. Keep in mind that a great tracklist depends on more than just great songs; cohesion is essential.

THE RULES
1. Your collection may not exceed 2 hours, 40 minutes, 0 seconds in length. You may employ any medium you desire, with the two most common being two CDs of no more than 80 minutes each and unbroken "iPod tracklists". ANY ENTRY 160:01 (2 hours, 40 minutes, 1 second) OR LONGER WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY DISQUALIFIED.
2. You may only use ONE song by any particular artist. In this rule, we are concerned with one continuous song; if the song is split into separate tracks or movements (e.g. to fit on vinyl), all tracks or movements may be included. However, if you wish to do this, please clear it with the organisers first. For the sake of this tournament, Passengers will be considered to be a separate artist to U2.
3. Every selection must appear on an OFFICIAL RELEASE by that artist. It may be any form of release: album, single, official live release, rarities box set, iTunes only release, or even a free track from the artist's official site. Unreleased tracks (e.g. U2's Mercy) and live bootlegs are not allowed ("official bootlegs" by bands such as Pearl Jam are permitted).
4. Tracks may not be edited/shortened in any way, e.g. you may not cut off the fade up section at the beginning of U2's Exit. You must use the official album run time. In the case of One Tree Hill, however, you may use either version (the misprinted version without the coda or the correct version with the coda). Naturally, this rule does not apply to official edits covered by rule #3, such as radio edits. Furthermore, you may edit a track to remove a separate hidden track at the end, e.g. Transatlantic's Stranger In Your Soul.
5. If you have competed in ONE prior edition of the game, you MUST NOT REPEAT ANY SONGS from your previous entry. If you have competed in BOTH prior editions, you must not repeat any songs from your entry to Desert Island II. Although discouraged, repeats from Desert Island I are permitted. Different competition, different songs. This rule is also to encourage new participants. Songs used in the Prog Island mini-tournament may be repeated at will.
6. Any entry that violates one of these rules or pushes one of these rules is subject to being banned from the competition.

READ THE NEXT PARAGRAPH
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT

For this competition, please do NOT post your entries in this thread. Please e-mail them to both myself at amakaxver@gmail.com and Screwtape at InaKafkaTragedy@aol.com

Here's what we require from you:
1. Your tracklisting. See below for formatting.
2. Links to uploads of your tracklisting so that others may hear the music they do not know. Although optional in the past, this is now mandatory, and if you cannot do uploads, do not bother entering. We recommend uploading your tracklist in ZIP folders (usually 3, as there is a 100MB file size limit) to Media Fire.com (remove the space).
3. OPTIONAL: A paragraph with any additional details on your tracklisting, e.g. why you made the choices you made, any important facts you wish to note, why you think people should vote for your tracklistings, etc.
4. OPTIONAL: A cover for your tracklist, and any other additional materials you believe are essential to the full package. Please provide a stable link to the cover image on a picture hosting website.

FORMATTING - READ CAREFULLY
We require submissions to use the following format EXACTLY (for goodness' sake, I say this every time and I still have to edit some submissions). The format, which is very easy to follow, is:

Forum name: [Your Interference name here]

Tracklist:

TRACKLIST TITLE (if you give it one)

Track #. Band Name - "Song Title" - Album Name (Time in Minutes:Seconds)
1. Please - "Follow This Format" - Thank You (20:15)
2. It Helps A Lot - "If You Follow This" - To The Letter (10:45)
3. Life Is Easier - "When People Do" - What Is Asked In The Rules (15:00)
4. Rules - "Are Not Hard" - To Follow (15:30)
5. Grammar, Punctuation, And Order - "Should Be Just Like They Are" - In This Example (7:15)
6. Thank You Very Much - "In Advance" - For Adhering To This Style! (43:20)

Total runtime: 112:05

DEADLINE
All submissions MUST be made by 10pm, 24 July 2007, US eastern savings time, which corresponds to 2am Greenwich Mean Time, 25 July 2007 and midday Australian eastern standard time, 25 July 2007. The master list will be posted just after this deadline and the competition will begin the next Monday. You may submit items separately, e.g. you do not have to provide upload links the second you submit your tracklisting, but you must have all submissions made by that deadline.

CONTESTANTS
This tournament will have twenty contestants admitted on a first come, first served basis. Contestants will be divided into four groups of five and the top two from each group will proceed to the quarter-finals. A seeding system managed by Screwtape will be used for previous contestants, and one whole group reserved for people who have not competed before.

To register your intention to compete, add your name to the following list:

1. Axver
2. phanan
3. Screwtape2
4. GibsonGirl
5. LemonMacPhisto
6. LemonMelon

I think that's everything. Got a question? Ask away and we'll be more than happy to clarify details! :)

Good luck!

I'm bitching out until the next round. Not enough time. Will be watching on though!

Can someone please, please include a Paul Colman Trio song.

Originally posted by Axver
Also, who will the tracklists be e-mailed to? At the moment, I'm going to put myself and you, Screwtape. I'm not sure if phanan would want his e-mail address posted publicly or not. I'm very happy for phanan to do the polls and such - I was quite pleased with the threads he made after I lost premium privileges.

Phanan, if you reply before I make the sign-up thread, I would ideally like to have people e-mail their tracklists to you and Screwtape, and one of you can send me collections, e.g. five at a time.

Sorry I wasn't on here before you started the signup thread. Things can be sent my way as well if you wish - my email address is go-figure@comcast.net. Or, you and Screwtape can handle the start of it and arrange the groups, and then I can handle the polls. Whichever way is fine with me.

Put me down, but I'm still in the early stages of working on my list. Therefore, my entry may have to be redacted, so can my spot be pending until Sunday? I have a really busy week training-wise, but I'll defiantly know by then.:up:

phanan said:

Sorry I wasn't on here before you started the signup thread. Things can be sent my way as well if you wish - my email address is go-figure@comcast.net. Or, you and Screwtape can handle the start of it and arrange the groups, and then I can handle the polls. Whichever way is fine with me.

Damn, too late for me to edit the post now. We'll just go with people e-mailing Screwtape and I, and they can also e-mail you if they'd like but it's not imperative as we will pass tracklists on to you.

Sign me up again. I was just looking at my track listing from last time, and I can't believe how many bad choices I made. I need to redeem myself :wink:

What's the policy with band members' solo and/or side projects? For instance, I know I'll include a Wilco song, but I'd also like to include something from the Nels Cline Singers. Do I need to choose a pre-Nels Cline Wilco song, or is it okay for there to be a little overlapping?

I think it's alright, some people have Passengers and U2 tracks on the same playlist.

But something like have a Bruce Springsteen track and a Bruce & the E Street Band track is stretching it.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
What's the policy with band members' solo and/or side projects? For instance, I know I'll include a Wilco song, but I'd also like to include something from the Nels Cline Singers. Do I need to choose a pre-Nels Cline Wilco song, or is it okay for there to be a little overlapping?

I'm not exactly familiar with the circumstance as I don't like Wilco, but LMP's illustration is a good one. And as an example of what is very much permissible in the rules, my tracklist contains the following: Split Enz, Crowded House, Finn Brothers, and Neil Finn. As they can be considered separate, independent acts, their material is all allowed.

So, our contestants thus far:

1. Axver
2. phanan
3. Screwtape2
4. GibsonGirl
5. LemonMacPhisto
6. LemonMelon
7. Zootlesque
8. U2VertigoFly
9. Lancemc

And just to let the regulars know, liamcool's sitting out this tournament.

BonoIsMyMuse said:

Nels Cline Singers are Nels Cline Singers.
Wilco is Wilco.

They are two separate artists, thus, any song, from any part of their respective discographies would be acceptable, IMO.

LemonMelon said:

Nels Cline Singers are Nels Cline Singers.
Wilco is Wilco.

They are two separate artists, thus, any song, from any part of their respective discographies would be acceptable, IMO.

That's what I figured, especially since they're different genres. Axver's reply clarified things for me, too. I just wanted to double check, since I'll be starting my list tomorrow.

I think I'm going to have to pull out of this one. I've been so busy lately. I just don't think I'll be able to put together a quality playlist in time.

Axver said:
1. Please - "Follow This Format" - Thank You (20:15)
2. It Helps A Lot - "If You Follow This" - To The Letter (10:45)
3. Life Is Easier - "When People Do" - What Is Asked In The Rules (15:00)
4. Rules - "Are Not Hard" - To Follow (15:30)
5. Grammar, Punctuation, And Order - "Should Be Just Like They Are" - In This Example (7:15)
6. Thank You Very Much - "In Advance" - For Adhering To This Style! (43:20)

:lol:

All right, I'm in. I don't care if I'm voted out in the first round, I want in. I even promise to avoid my beloved Big, Dumb Pop Songs.

:wink:

GibsonGirl said:
I think I'm going to have to pull out of this one. I've been so busy lately. I just don't think I'll be able to put together a quality playlist in time.

Boo! A thousand times boo!

Well, I'll keep you on the list and expand it to 21 places. If you do happen to find time to make something, the 21st position will be unnecessary, but if you don't, then whoever signs up as 21st will take your place.

Current participants:

1. Axver
2. phanan
3. Screwtape2
4. GibsonGirl (unlikely)
5. LemonMacPhisto
6. LemonMelon
7. Zootlesque
8. U2VertigoFly
9. Lancemc
10. angelordevil
11. AtomicBono
12. inmyplace13
13. corianderstem

Can I put in a tentative "yes", and either I or hardyharhar will enter or combine? (or pull out at the last minute) :happy:

My list will be too mainstream I'm sure. I dont know half the songs or artists you people post :reject: Hubby could possibly remedy that :hmm:

<<<now to find the time and not pull my hair out in the process.

Lila, you and I will be the sorta-mainstreamers. :wink:

I'm going with a mood theme for mine, I think. Kinda. Flowy. Or something. :hmm:

Axver said:
Current participants:

1. Axver
2. phanan
3. Screwtape2
4. GibsonGirl (unlikely)
5. LemonMacPhisto
6. LemonMelon
7. Zootlesque
8. U2VertigoFly
9. Lancemc
10. angelordevil
11. AtomicBono
12. inmyplace13
13. corianderstem

You don't like me :sad:

Axver said:

Boo! A thousand times boo!

Well, I'll keep you on the list and expand it to 21 places. If you do happen to find time to make something, the 21st position will be unnecessary, but if you don't, then whoever signs up as 21st will take your place.

Okay, so I was thinking that we might extend the deadline. I'd like to see people like GG and U2VF have the opportunity. Also seeing as we have so many new people coming in, it might be better to give them more time to make something creative or different. Considering how well GG and U2VF have done in the past, I think it would be a shame to not see them participate. I've finished so if they need help doing anything from uploading to whatever I'd love to help make sure they can participate. U2VF is a co-champion afterall. So maybe extending it to the 30th. I could also send out some of the playlist around the 20th sort of what I did with the prog game. That way people are familiar and able to finish. So how able it? :)

corianderstem said:
Lila, you and I will be the sorta-mainstreamers. :wink:

can i be a sorta-mainstreamer?! :hyper:

I actually don't know everything that's going on my list yet...but I will probably have a lot of bands that no one else on this forum would ever dream of putting because they're too heavy or mainstream, whichever (Alien Ant Farm, The Fall of Troy... might even throw a Chevelle or Breaking Benjamin tune on there...Forget It :drool: The Clincher :rockon: )

so i probably won't win :wink: but maybe I will introduce some people to music they wouldn't have considered before? i think that's the great thing about this competition. great way to discover music :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom