Desert Island Album Game III: Rules and Sign-up Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:
Just as long as you include Split Enz and Joy Division, you'll have a good chance of getting my vote. :drool:
they're both on :) which songs i don't know yet. i dunno how everyone else does it, but i just sit down and start writing down bands i'd put on a compilation such as this and go from there.

and ooh, a pre-tournament sounds fun! :)

Axver said:

I think that Group 1 is worst. I can't possibly begin to tell who will come first or last there.

In Group 3, I think if Khan or I advance, it will be due to an upset win or two. My tracklist is more obscure than last time, and knowing both my tastes and Khan's relative to typical voting patterns here, I think we're most likely to take the bottom two spots (though I expect things to still be close). LMP is sure to advance, and imp vs LJT will be the decisive round.

Then again, last time, I said there was no way I'd get past the quarter-final at best ...

I think LMP has the best chance to advance but after that it gets foggy. It could come down to tie breakers so maybe you or Khan might stun someone to get that other spot.

In the first group, every match will be top notch until the end.

corianderstem said:

I'm up against BonoIsMyMuse? You're pitting me against my friend? :(

:shifty:

You're goin' DOWN, M. :wink:

(I kid. I know you'll have a really cool one.)

Bring it :mad:

I had a hard time choosing between several R.E.M. songs, but I didn't pick Find the River after I remembered the coriander stem part and wondered if you'd choose it. It seems especially fitting given your spiffy cover art :wink:

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I had a hard time choosing between several R.E.M. songs, but I didn't pick Find the River after I remembered the coriander stem part and wondered if you'd choose it. It seems especially fitting given your spiffy cover art :wink:

It is yours to use ... I had it on my list, but it didn't make the final cut!

KhanadaRhodes said:

they're both on :) which songs i don't know yet. i dunno how everyone else does it, but i just sit down and start writing down bands i'd put on a compilation such as this and go from there.

I just scroll through my iTunes from start to finish and put on tracks that I think are great and/or deserve some exposure. Then I fiddle with stuff to get it cohesive and into the time limit, and work from there. Themes and concepts tend to develop on the fly that way. Once I have a clear idea of what I'm achieving, I then do a bit more track swapping.

For this tournament, I started with somewhat of an idea of what I wanted to achieve thematically, so I was predisposed to picking certain bands and tracks. A few of my picks are a bit out of the ordinary, e.g. I ordinarily wouldn't have used U2's Like A Song, but it fits into what I want to achieve.

corianderstem said:

It is yours to use ... I had it on my list, but it didn't make the final cut!

I almost picked I Don't Sleep, I Dream, but Electrolite was a better fit for the mix I ended up making.

Does 2.6 hours in iTunes time come in under the limit of 2 hours and 40 minutes?

I was a music major. I can only count to 4. And sometimes 6. :wink:

Axver said:
I just scroll through my iTunes from start to finish and put on tracks that I think are great and/or deserve some exposure. Then I fiddle with stuff to get it cohesive and into the time limit, and work from there. Themes and concepts tend to develop on the fly that way. Once I have a clear idea of what I'm achieving, I then do a bit more track swapping.
ooh, that sounds like a good idea, but i've got too many songs and i'm too lazy to scroll through them all!

corianderstem said:
Does 2.6 hours in iTunes time come in under the limit of 2 hours and 40 minutes?
if you single click on the total time, it'll convert it to hh:mm:ss :)

Hmm, I usually start by getting a list of songs I really like, try and mix and match them into something listenable, trim the time and fat. and there you go, it's done. This particular list came a lot easier than the last two did, I feel the 2nd list had stronger songs, but a lack of any type of flow. This time, I think the flow has improved, but I'm still not that great at making a 100% flowtastic list like Meg'sLegs' or Axver's.

The leftover tracks go into the "Save for Later" playlist :wink:

KhanadaRhodes said:

to an extent, i suppose so. i've got some people on here only axver and lila will know :wink:

You may or may not get my vote (it's not your fault if you don't...when you only listen to a playlist once and it contains music that you're unfamiliar with, it won't have the time it needs to sink in), but I appreciate hearing new music. :drool:

corianderstem said:

I was a music major. I can only count to 4. And sometimes 6. :wink:

On my version of iTunes, I can just click where it says 2.6 hours and it converts to hours:minutes:seconds.

Thanks! 2:38:03! Talk about cutting it close! :lol:

I think I'm almost done. I need to mull it over, sleep on it, maybe tweak it. I have one song that's on the verge of being cut, but otherwise, I think I'm really pleased with the flow.

Whoo!

But damn it, my attention to the game caused me to miss Ichiro's inside-the-park home run during the All-Star Game. :mad:

KhanadaRhodes said:
well, uhhh, if it makes you feel any better, there's a song i'd love to use, but it's really a two part song (two separate songs) and thus isn't allowed :(

I really wanted to use "Brain Damage" and "Eclipse" by Floyd this time around :(

They're essentially the same song.

Axver said:

On my version of iTunes, I can just click where it says 2.6 hours and it converts to hours:minutes:seconds.

I've had iTunes for several years and never knew it would do that. I calculated all of my times :reject: At least I came up with the same number!

LemonMacPhisto said:

I really wanted to use "Brain Damage" and "Eclipse" by Floyd this time around :(

They're essentially the same song.

Well, yeah, this is a difficult point. What about Happiest Days Of Our Lives/Brick Part II?

I don't know what to say to things like that.

And FUCK, I just discovered my tracklist runs over. When I was revising it before going to NZ, I forgot to cut things down back to 2 hours 40 and ordered it based on it being 2 hours 58. This is going to be really difficult to cut down ...

Desert Island IV in progress:

picturequ3.jpg

:shifty:

Axver said:

Well, yeah, this is a difficult point. What about Happiest Days Of Our Lives/Brick Part II?

I don't know what to say to things like that.

You could even say:

The Thin Ice -> Brick pt. 1 -> Happiest Days... -> Brick pt. 2

act as one track.

I ended up being able to use most of what was on my very first brainstorming list, which is cool. Most of what got cut was added as a "hey, maybe I can squeeze this in" thought.

yeah, i'm of two minds when it comes to this:

part of me thinks no, we shouldn't allow two songs at all even in this instance because then people can say "well how come they get to..." and that's not fair.

another part of me thinks if it's a two-parter, one could look at it like it's really two parts of one big song. in most cases, if you listen to one song of a two-parter you only get half the story. so it's incomplete, and you really need both songs to help get your point of view across, thus both songs should be allowed.

i dunno :shrug:

Axver said:

Someone's not getting my vote! :happy:

I don't expect to. :shifty: Actually, I don't even expect your vote THIS time out, unless the person I'm going against has all top 40 hits or Radiohead karaoke tracks. :happy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom