Desert Island Album Game III: Rules and Sign-up Thread - Page 54 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2007, 04:47 PM   #796
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:59 PM
interesting signature there phanan

Old 07-23-2007, 04:53 PM   #797
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:59 PM
Bruce at his best.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:50 PM   #798
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono

I hope you're not addressing me...I'm over 18 and have no problems with long songs as long as they're consistantly interesting. You'll notice I have a Porcupine Tree track on my list, for instance

the time thing was merely a suggestion. It has nothing to do with attention spans - like I said, it would certainly make it more difficult to make lists, as it was hard enough narrowing down to 2 hours and 40 minutes. I just thought it would make it easier for people listening - not just the people in the competiton, but the voters. Right now I've got no job and no classes so i have tons of free time, but even so I typically don't listen to more than one playlist a day, because I have other things I want to do. Once school starts and I'm working I don't know how much time I'll have...dunno about everyone else. I'm fine with the current time but I don't think the suggestion should be scoffed at as if brought up by some sort of lesser being. We could have a poll or something. If the majority think the current limit is best, then that's fine, but if a majority opt for less time, then it could at least be considered...
I must say, I agree with this. The sheer scale of the whole thing is one of the reasons why I had to drop out of this competition. And I'm on holiday. Even without the pressures of paper deadlines and tests, I'm just doing so many other things every day that I simply don't have the time to dedicate myself to creating a playlist of my own and listening to 19 others. I know that by the time I get back to uni, I will have ZERO opportunity to listen to twenty different playlists. It's equivalent to listening to 40 albums. I don't know about anyone else, but in the space of a week, I'm lucky if I have the time for 20 albums.

Then again, I can see the other side of the argument as well. In order to construct a good playlist, you do sort of need to have two discs to work with.

So I really don't know...maybe there can be something else for people who just don't have the time? Something separate to Desert Island entirely? Perhaps a competition where you have to compile single disc tracklists based on a set theme, emotion or genre? Maybe even a "Best Of" competition where contestants compile a best of for a band of their choice? I don't know, just throwing out ideas.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:12 PM   #799
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
I think I have an idea/plan that could sit well with everyone. I want to discuss it with Axver first.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:31 PM   #800
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Actually, I'll just let it out now...

Okay, this is my idea. The Desert Island Game stays the same. Between games, we have a smaller game in which you create an album between 60-80 minutes. The catch is that you have to have a title, cover, concept/story and that it HAS to be artistic. They would be like mini-movies. You'd submit them in August which would give people almost a month with them. This would also force people to put more effort and thought into them and maybe spark ideas for a Desert Island playlist. They would be like the prog game without the prog and shorter.

Would people be interested in that idea?
Old 07-23-2007, 06:33 PM   #801
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
There's no rule as to how long your playlist needs to be, as long as it doesn't exceed the maximum allowed, which is 160 minutes.
Okay, gotcha. It just sounds like, from the organizers' perspective, that if you're going to submit something drastically less than 160 minutes, then don't bother.

I like Screwtape's new idea, but then again, I was surprised how quickly I was able to fill up 160 minutes, so I'm probably the wrong person to give my two cents on that.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:34 PM   #802
Blue Crack Distributor

I don't know what's wrong with my computer (and I rebooted), but every media fire file I download has one damaged/corrupt track. I'm on AtomicBono's list, and the one song I wanted to hear was missing (RATM) On file 2 it was U2's Discotheque, so luckily I have that one already Haven't done 3 or 4 yet. AND I have to have the zip file repaired before I can extract. Very weird
Old 07-23-2007, 06:44 PM   #803
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

What program are you using to unzip? Maybe try installing it again to see if that helps. I have WinRAR and like that, and I've never had any problems with it.

Is Bono under Elvis's hat now?
Old 07-23-2007, 07:01 PM   #804
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

I must say, I agree with this. The sheer scale of the whole thing is one of the reasons why I had to drop out of this competition. And I'm on holiday. Even without the pressures of paper deadlines and tests, I'm just doing so many other things every day that I simply don't have the time to dedicate myself to creating a playlist of my own and listening to 19 others. I know that by the time I get back to uni, I will have ZERO opportunity to listen to twenty different playlists. It's equivalent to listening to 40 albums. I don't know about anyone else, but in the space of a week, I'm lucky if I have the time for 20 albums.
I know a lot of people are in this situation. I really hope you and the other people in this situation find the time to listen to a few of the playlists. Hopefully, a few of them intrigue people in this position enough to take a listen.

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem

I like Screwtape's new idea, but then again, I was surprised how quickly I was able to fill up 160 minutes, so I'm probably the wrong person to give my two cents on that.
With the 60-80 minutes, people will have to work harder but the listener might be able to hear more. You would have to have a title, cover, concept/story and that it HAS to be artistic. I hope everyone realizes that in this idea.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:01 PM   #805
Blue Crack Distributor

I've never had any issues before. I believe it's the same WinZip file that opens zip files. Even tried with the .rar extension. Same problem. I hate installing/uninstalling/installing. I could try on this computer, but don't want to be downloading 19 lists of music onto this one.

And no, Bono is not under the hat
I noticed you had Elvis on your list again. I wasn't sure which song to choose, but I do have one on my Desert Island list, of course
Old 07-23-2007, 07:05 PM   #806
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
Okay, gotcha. It just sounds like, from the organizers' perspective, that if you're going to submit something drastically less than 160 minutes, then don't bother.
No, I don't care if people don't hit the 160 minute mark. It's merely a maximum. However, it strikes me as absurd to cut the maximum itself down to 80 minutes for the full-blown competition. That would be like deciding that rugby's just too tiring as a game of two halves, so in the World Cup, let's ditch the second half!

A mini-competition would be cool though. It'd be like the Rugby 7s.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #807
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
No...the whole "negative comments about any song longer than about 5-6 minutes" thing sounds more like Zoots to me.
I have several long songs in my itunes that I enjoy every second of! Just cos I was slow to warm up to Siberian Khatru doesn't mean I don't have an attention span!
Old 07-23-2007, 07:09 PM   #808
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

A mini-competition would be cool though.
Alright. I'll come up with something for it in the next couple days.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:16 PM   #809
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:59 AM
I don't have too much time to listen to these playlists either, as I work long hours everyday and often times saturdays too! So I can see how 80 minutes will be much more manageable when it comes to listening to everyone's compilations. But I can also see how it would be very difficult to include everything that you want to. I guess the compromise is that... keep it 80 minutes so whatever you cannot include this time, you can include it in the next competition!
Old 07-23-2007, 07:48 PM   #810
Blue Crack Addict

Never mind. I misread.

The mini-tournament between Desert Island games is a good idea.

Tags
desert island