Desert Island Album Game III: Rules and Sign-up Thread - Page 53 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2007, 03:41 AM   #781
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:02 PM
I'm wondering if media fire doesn't like me or something.
I'm trying to download LMP's list, and so far I'm missing song # (Dylan) and song #17 (The Who). When I get to Section 3, he has song 23 listed as Oasis 'Guess God Thinks I'm Abel', which I own and know how it goes. But the song that is listed as Oasis is not that song, nor do I know who it is. And Wilco's song (#24) didn't come thru either. I will try to download Section 4 and listen tomorrow.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:46 AM   #782
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by fly so high!

Are you for real?
I think Axver is right that it would ruin the competition. You can't tell a story, create a location, express your musical tastes or be that creative in 80 minutes or 11-15 tracks. These are trips and journeys that can't be lived in 80 minutes. They don't have to be art but they do mean something to the people who make them. 240 minutes isn't long when you are in a somewhere that someone made.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:10 AM   #783
Blue Crack Distributor

didn't get track 34 - Nick Drake from LMP's list either. Maybe if I reboot the computer I will have better luck tomorrow

I think I got the order down on my list. Getting closer!
Old 07-23-2007, 05:16 AM   #784
Refugee

Local Time: 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

I think Axver is right that it would ruin the competition. You can't tell a story, create a location, express your musical tastes or be that creative in 80 minutes or 11-15 tracks. These are trips and journeys that can't be lived in 80 minutes. They don't have to be art but they do mean something to the people who make them. 240 minutes isn't long when you are in a somewhere that someone made.
I understand and i agree , my post was actually about the remarks of being 18 and not having enough attention span.......i was wondering if he was being sarcastic.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:43 AM   #785
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04
Okay well if it ever happens don't compete then, simple as that lol. And as I said it's got nothing to do with attention span. How doo you find the time to listen to 64 hours of music over and over and over when you have Uni and everything else?

carry on..
It won't happen as long as I'm running the show, and I certainly plan on running this through to at least Desert Island VI.

How do I find time? Well, it's really not hard. I have at least 3 hours every day to listen to music, perhaps while writing an essay or reading a book. Or I put it onto my iPod and listen to it on the way to and from university (a 25-30 minute trip each way) and while in the library. At busy times - or for playlists I'm not that keen on - I just split it up into more manageable chunks.

Quote:
Originally posted by fly so high!
I understand and i agree , my post was actually about the remarks of being 18 and not having enough attention span.......i was wondering if he was being sarcastic.
Nope. It seems the people who have a problem with the 160 minute time limit are predominantly under 18 and/or have already made negative comments about any song longer than about 5-6 minutes.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-23-2007, 08:12 AM   #786
45:33

Quote:

thank you, served much more purpose than an attack. It was only a suggestion, now it's been put to bed (for now ) I'm quite happy. I just did not think the suggestion required a reply like that.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:26 AM   #787
Vocal parasite

My apologies. My patience is just running short these days. Don't take it personally, I don't think anyone on this thread is a wanker or anything.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-23-2007, 08:28 AM   #788
45:33

Thank you, I appreciate that.

On with the comp
Old 07-23-2007, 12:39 PM   #789
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
The open spot. AnnieVox wanted any open spot if someone left. Seeing as we only have one weekend left and this comes on such short notice, I don't want AnnieVox to be rushed and anyone else for that matter. That would also increase the newcomer count to 11 and unfairly place one in a veteran group. So I was thinking that we could save AnnieVox a spot in the next game and just keep Group 1 at four people.

We would run it like this:

Round 1-3 would be a basic round robin.
Round 4 would pit the top two against each other as well as the bottom two. Sort of a winner and losers bracket.
Round 5 would be the winners of those matches and the losers against each other. A continuation of the winner and losers bracket idea.

Some matches would happen twice but it all depends on who votes at that time. I would prefer we do this as it is fair to AnnieVox and the rest of the contestants. Any objections or questions?
I guess it could work, but it does seem like it might be a bit repetitive.

If AnnieVox sees this in time and really wants to join and has no problem being placed in Group 1, then I would do that.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:17 PM   #790
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Nope. It seems the people who have a problem with the 160 minute time limit are predominantly under 18 and/or have already made negative comments about any song longer than about 5-6 minutes.
I hope you're not addressing me...I'm over 18 and have no problems with long songs as long as they're consistantly interesting. You'll notice I have a Porcupine Tree track on my list, for instance

the time thing was merely a suggestion. It has nothing to do with attention spans - like I said, it would certainly make it more difficult to make lists, as it was hard enough narrowing down to 2 hours and 40 minutes. I just thought it would make it easier for people listening - not just the people in the competiton, but the voters. Right now I've got no job and no classes so i have tons of free time, but even so I typically don't listen to more than one playlist a day, because I have other things I want to do. Once school starts and I'm working I don't know how much time I'll have...dunno about everyone else. I'm fine with the current time but I don't think the suggestion should be scoffed at as if brought up by some sort of lesser being. We could have a poll or something. If the majority think the current limit is best, then that's fine, but if a majority opt for less time, then it could at least be considered...
Old 07-23-2007, 02:50 PM   #791
Blue Crack Distributor

What? You think this is a democracy?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:53 PM   #792
The Male

Local Time: 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono

I hope you're not addressing me...
No...the whole "negative comments about any song longer than about 5-6 minutes" thing sounds more like Zoots to me.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:08 PM   #793
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 07-23-2007, 03:31 PM   #794
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:02 PM
So ... if someone submitted a list that was significantly shorter than the maximum, would they be eliminated?

I feel like I've missed some important part of the rules or something.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:47 PM   #795
Blue Crack Addict

There's no rule as to how long your playlist needs to be, as long as it doesn't exceed the maximum allowed, which is 160 minutes.

Tags
desert island