Desert Island Album Game III: Rules and Sign-up Thread - Page 31 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-12-2007, 07:59 PM   #451
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 03:51 AM
I really hope people listen to all our lists in their entirety instead of voting based on only the known songs (which I myself am guilty of doing in the past). There's gonna be quite a bit of diversity on mine! As long as people give the time of day to even the songs they don't know and give them at least one listen, it's gonna be good.

As for Bon Jovi, if I recall right U2Vertigofly had not only Bon Jovi but the song many people are sick of hearing.. Livin On A Prayer and he still won that competition jointly with Axver! Different strokes for different folks. You never know what songs will win you the votes!
__________________

__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 08:01 PM   #452
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,816
Local Time: 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
I really hope people listen to all our lists in their entirety instead of voting based on only the known songs (which I myself am guilty of doing in the past). There's gonna be quite a bit of diversity on mine! As long as people give the time of day to even the songs they don't know and give them at least one listen, it's gonna be good.
I'll give you the time of day, for sure.

The whole Phil Collins-era Genesis thing you were talking about bothers me a bit though, I must admit.
__________________

__________________
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 07-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #453
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 03:51 AM

I won't choose any sappy Phil song I promise.
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 08:07 PM   #454
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,816
Local Time: 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
I won't choose any sappy Phil song I promise.
Bless you.
__________________
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 07-12-2007, 08:15 PM   #455
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

Look who's won the last two times. (no offense, LMP, but your playlists have been very accessible, IMO...though I wouldn't consider that an insult; I voted for you many times myself )
LemonMelon, you didn't make your list based on that belief did you?

My belief is that no one should make a playlist designed specifically to win with familiarity. Honestly, make something that you can be proud of and that can affect a person. If you make something amazing and unique, you can win this game. Be proud of something and you have already won.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 08:27 PM   #456
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,816
Local Time: 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2


LemonMelon, you didn't make your list based on that belief did you?
Absolutely not. My taste is just uncomfortably similar to that of inteference at large. Remember when I asked your opinion of my list? I did that because I felt it was too close to seeming a bit, I don't know...biased. Looking back, I figure it's a pretty excellent scan of my tastes, and that's good enough for me.
__________________
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 07-12-2007, 08:29 PM   #457
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2vertigofly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: dinkin' flicka
Posts: 10,792
Local Time: 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

As for Bon Jovi, if I recall right U2Vertigofly had not only Bon Jovi but the song many people are sick of hearing.. Livin On A Prayer and he still won that competition jointly with Axver! Different strokes for different folks. You never know what songs will win you the votes!
All, I can say is that He and Bruce will probably get a spot on all of my lists. That's the music I've grown up with, so it's what I'd bring on a Desert Island. Plus, I have to represent my people from Jersey.
__________________
U2vertigofly is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 08:38 PM   #458
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
Look who's won the last two times. (no offense, LMP, but your playlists have been very accessible, IMO...though I wouldn't consider that an insult; I voted for you many times myself )
None taken. The first one was very accessible, almost to a fault looking back at it, but I am really proud of my 2nd one now.

Some of the songs are considered accessible because they're so good though, this is definitely a hard thing to debate.

What else is interesting is looking back on past lists and seeing how tastes have changed over time, I know mine definitely has.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 08:39 PM   #459
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon


Absolutely not. My taste is just uncomfortably similar to that of inteference at large. Remember when I asked your opinion of my list? I did that because I felt it was too close to seeming a bit, I don't know...biased. Looking back, I figure it's a pretty excellent scan of my tastes, and that's good enough for me.
I think there are so many different musical tastes that familiarity is hard to gage. I don't think your playlist is too close to Interference. More than most playlists I can say that it is you .
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 08:42 PM   #460
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,816
Local Time: 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2


I think there are so many different musical tastes that familiarity is hard to gage. I don't think your playlist is too close to Interference. More than most playlists I can say that it is you .
Thank you very much. My job is done to my satisfaction then.
__________________
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 07-12-2007, 08:45 PM   #461
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 05:51 PM
I haven't been able to get online for a few days and I come back to this

well I guess I'll save this list for the next round
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 09:13 PM   #462
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,051
Local Time: 12:51 PM
I think that making playlists with the aim of gaining votes through familiarity doesn't work. The voting can be too unpredictable, and you never know quite what people are familiar with - or more to the point, what they're familiar with and actually LIKE. You can make a playlist of songs people know very well, but that doesn't mean they'll vote for you. And trying to pick what people will like is impossible, especially as your victory is dependent on who turns up to vote. You could make a wonderful indie playlist, but if your round's on a day when most of the indie fans aren't online, you just might lose to someone who has made a prog playlist because people such as liamcool and I are online!
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
Old 07-12-2007, 09:14 PM   #463
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,731
Local Time: 05:51 PM
Is there anyone around who would be willing to offer up five minutes with their Photoshop or similar program to slap some text on a pic?

Seriously just me sending a picture and saying "Can you write "blah blah blah in black text on it"?

I don't have any programs like that, so it's either volunteer effort or nothing for my submission.

I'm okay with nothing, I just thought it was worth asking.
__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 09:16 PM   #464
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,051
Local Time: 12:51 PM
You don't have Paint? That's what I use to the "slap text on a picture" thing.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
Old 07-12-2007, 09:20 PM   #465
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
Is there anyone around who would be willing to offer up five minutes with their Photoshop or similar program to slap some text on a pic?

Seriously just me sending a picture and saying "Can you write "blah blah blah in black text on it"?

I don't have any programs like that, so it's either volunteer effort or nothing for my submission.

I'm okay with nothing, I just thought it was worth asking.
I'll try, if you like:

islagia@aol.com
__________________

__________________
LMP is offline  
 

Tags
desert island

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com