Desert Island Album Game III: Rules and Sign-up Thread - Page 30 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-12-2007, 01:00 PM   #436
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BonoIsMyMuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 5,241
Local Time: 07:54 AM
I didn't look at my list yesterday, but I'm going to listen to it later today, and if I'm pleased with it, I'll go ahead and set up the track listing and get everything else ready. I'm going to have to burn and re-rip a few tracks, since I have a few things I got from iTunes.
__________________

__________________
BonoIsMyMuse is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 05:23 PM   #437
ONE
love, blood, life
 
AtomicBono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 10,486
Local Time: 06:54 AM
Question. Am I allowed to have a friend help me with my album cover? I mean I told him what I wanted sort of but only his superior artistic vision could possibly produce a cover which encompasses the brilliant duality and perfection of my playlist ...
__________________

__________________
AtomicBono is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 05:46 PM   #438
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono
Question. Am I allowed to have a friend help me with my album cover? I mean I told him what I wanted sort of but only his superior artistic vision could possibly produce a cover which encompasses the brilliant duality and perfection of my playlist ...
Yes. The images on LMP and my playlist are not original. The cover is more of a way to make a playlist stand out and represent the experience. It is the music that it is the most important. So go ahead.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 06:05 PM   #439
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 02:54 PM
Trying to narrow it down from an 80 song playlist is not easy. I'm not sure whether to go with one theme (or a similar theme) throughout and pick the songs accordingly or simply pick the best of the best.
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 06:29 PM   #440
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Lemonchick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,647
Local Time: 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
I was really wishing that either you or Irishteen would have requested a spot. I hope you enjoy voting and listening to these playlists before creating something amazing for Desert Island 4.
It's funny you mention Irishteen...he's been here for the past two weeks on vacation and we've met up a couple of times. I'm sure he would've loved to take part in this too.

I'm really looking forward to your playlist, your submission last time was so unique and amazing.

I'll definitely be joining Desert Island 4...I'll start working on it soon so that it'll be a masterpiece by the time DI4 starts.
__________________
Lemonchick is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #441
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Trying to narrow it down from an 80 song playlist is not easy. I'm not sure whether to go with one theme (or a similar theme) throughout and pick the songs accordingly or simply pick the best of the best.
It's a toughie, but try and go for a mixture of both. It's cool to have a theme but it's more important to have those stand-out songs, you know?

Then save the songs you didn't use in another playlist for later.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 06:58 PM   #442
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonchick


It's funny you mention Irishteen...he's been here for the past two weeks on vacation and we've met up a couple of times. I'm sure he would've loved to take part in this too.

I'm really looking forward to your playlist, your submission last time was so unique and amazing.

I'll definitely be joining Desert Island 4...I'll start working on it soon so that it'll be a masterpiece by the time DI4 starts.
Thank you.

I'm sure you will make a mastepeice or at least something really special. That's why I wanted you and Irishteen to sign up. I can't wait for Desert Island 4.

I hope Irishteen is enjoying his vacation and that you are enjoying meeting up with him.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 07:20 PM   #443
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto


It's a toughie, but try and go for a mixture of both. It's cool to have a theme but it's more important to have those stand-out songs, you know?

Then save the songs you didn't use in another playlist for later.
That's what I was thinking too! Thanks for the input.
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 07:23 PM   #444
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque


That's what I was thinking too! Thanks for the input.
No prob.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 07:29 PM   #445
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,813
Local Time: 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Trying to narrow it down from an 80 song playlist is not easy. I'm not sure whether to go with one theme (or a similar theme) throughout and pick the songs accordingly or simply pick the best of the best.
I'm going to be very honest with you, Zoots.

Familiarity gets you votes. It just does. Having an absolutely drool-worthy set with fantastic flow and atmosphere may get you considered for a vote, but, ultimately, it's those one or two songs that a person absolutely loves from your playlist that gets you the vote. I can't even remember how many times I heard someone say they voted for someone based on one song...

"It was soooooo close, but wow! (insert username here)'s list has David Bowie! "

or, alternatively...

"Eww...Killers "

Go for universality if you want votes. Go for a theme and concept if you want to get praised.
__________________
LemonMelon is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 07:31 PM   #446
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 06:54 AM
This is true, but it would be hard for me to vote for a playlist with Bon Jovi on it, you know?

If I'm on a desert island for the rest of my life, I do not want to hear "Wanted Dead or Alive" as one of maybe 40 songs, my life would shitty enough.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 07:35 PM   #447
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,813
Local Time: 04:54 AM
Indeed, but Bon Jovi is a bad example because most B&C-going interferencers wouldn't be caught dead with one of their albums.

And universality is a double-edged sword. Though the majority probably like Oasis, there is a whole bunch of people that despise them and, if they were to even see them on your list, you would lose their vote. Weigh all that in.
__________________
LemonMelon is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 07:46 PM   #448
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon


I'm going to be very honest with you, Zoots.

Familiarity gets you votes. It just does. Having an absolutely drool-worthy set with fantastic flow and atmosphere may get you considered for a vote, but, ultimately, it's those one or two songs that a person absolutely loves from your playlist that gets you the vote. I can't even remember how many times I heard someone say they voted for someone based on one song...
Actually, familiarity only extends to those who don't listen to the playlists. It only comes into play on those rare matches where most of those who listened don't show up. Those one or two songs can actually be less familiar songs. I know my playlist got votes for everything from Holst to a soundtrack peice from The Mission. Even Thelonious Monk got me a vote. I think by being diverse and making something unique you put yourself in the best position. Look at Axver in the last game.

The covers should increase the number of people who listen to the playlists.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 07:51 PM   #449
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,813
Local Time: 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2


Actually, familiarity only extends to those who don't listen to the playlists.
And what percentage is that? Call me cynical, but I think it's quite high. Regardless, people will still love certain songs no matter the context. Besides, it takes several listens to get into new things, and I doubt people listen to the playlists more than once.

Quote:
Look at Axver in the last game.
Look who's won the last two times. (no offense, LMP, but your playlists have been very accessible, IMO...though I wouldn't consider that an insult; I voted for you many times myself )
__________________
LemonMelon is offline  
Old 07-12-2007, 07:52 PM   #450
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Lemonchick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,647
Local Time: 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
Indeed, but Bon Jovi is a bad example because most B&C-going interferencers wouldn't be caught dead with one of their albums.


Leave me alone, I was 11.
__________________

__________________
Lemonchick is offline  
 

Tags
desert island

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com