Desert Island Album Game III: Rules and Sign-up Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if media fire doesn't like me or something.
I'm trying to download LMP's list, and so far I'm missing song # (Dylan) and song #17 (The Who). When I get to Section 3, he has song 23 listed as Oasis 'Guess God Thinks I'm Abel', which I own and know how it goes. But the song that is listed as Oasis is not that song, nor do I know who it is. And Wilco's song (#24) didn't come thru either. I will try to download Section 4 and listen tomorrow.

:der:

fly so high! said:

Are you for real?

I think Axver is right that it would ruin the competition. You can't tell a story, create a location, express your musical tastes or be that creative in 80 minutes or 11-15 tracks. These are trips and journeys that can't be lived in 80 minutes. They don't have to be art but they do mean something to the people who make them. 240 minutes isn't long when you are in a somewhere that someone made.

didn't get track 34 - Nick Drake from LMP's list either. Maybe if I reboot the computer I will have better luck tomorrow :shrug:

I think I got the order down on my list. Getting closer! :happy:

Screwtape2 said:

I think Axver is right that it would ruin the competition. You can't tell a story, create a location, express your musical tastes or be that creative in 80 minutes or 11-15 tracks. These are trips and journeys that can't be lived in 80 minutes. They don't have to be art but they do mean something to the people who make them. 240 minutes isn't long when you are in a somewhere that someone made.

I understand and i agree , my post was actually about the remarks of being 18 and not having enough attention span.......i was wondering if he was being sarcastic.

COBL_04 said:
Okay well if it ever happens don't compete then, simple as that lol. And as I said it's got nothing to do with attention span. How doo you find the time to listen to 64 hours of music over and over and over when you have Uni and everything else?

carry on..

It won't happen as long as I'm running the show, and I certainly plan on running this through to at least Desert Island VI.

How do I find time? Well, it's really not hard. I have at least 3 hours every day to listen to music, perhaps while writing an essay or reading a book. Or I put it onto my iPod and listen to it on the way to and from university (a 25-30 minute trip each way) and while in the library. At busy times - or for playlists I'm not that keen on - I just split it up into more manageable chunks.

fly so high! said:
I understand and i agree , my post was actually about the remarks of being 18 and not having enough attention span.......i was wondering if he was being sarcastic.

Nope. It seems the people who have a problem with the 160 minute time limit are predominantly under 18 and/or have already made negative comments about any song longer than about 5-6 minutes.

Screwtape2 said:

thank you, served much more purpose than an attack. It was only a suggestion, now it's been put to bed (for now :evil: ) I'm quite happy. I just did not think the suggestion required a reply like that.

My apologies. My patience is just running short these days. Don't take it personally, I don't think anyone on this thread is a wanker or anything.

Screwtape2 said:
The open spot. AnnieVox wanted any open spot if someone left. Seeing as we only have one weekend left and this comes on such short notice, I don't want AnnieVox to be rushed and anyone else for that matter. That would also increase the newcomer count to 11 and unfairly place one in a veteran group. So I was thinking that we could save AnnieVox a spot in the next game and just keep Group 1 at four people.

We would run it like this:

Round 1-3 would be a basic round robin.
Round 4 would pit the top two against each other as well as the bottom two. Sort of a winner and losers bracket.
Round 5 would be the winners of those matches and the losers against each other. A continuation of the winner and losers bracket idea.

Some matches would happen twice but it all depends on who votes at that time. I would prefer we do this as it is fair to AnnieVox and the rest of the contestants. Any objections or questions?

I guess it could work, but it does seem like it might be a bit repetitive.

If AnnieVox sees this in time and really wants to join and has no problem being placed in Group 1, then I would do that.

Axver said:

Nope. It seems the people who have a problem with the 160 minute time limit are predominantly under 18 and/or have already made negative comments about any song longer than about 5-6 minutes.

I hope you're not addressing me...I'm over 18 and have no problems with long songs as long as they're consistantly interesting. You'll notice I have a Porcupine Tree track on my list, for instance :wink:

the time thing was merely a suggestion. It has nothing to do with attention spans - like I said, it would certainly make it more difficult to make lists, as it was hard enough narrowing down to 2 hours and 40 minutes. I just thought it would make it easier for people listening - not just the people in the competiton, but the voters. Right now I've got no job and no classes so i have tons of free time, but even so I typically don't listen to more than one playlist a day, because I have other things I want to do. Once school starts and I'm working I don't know how much time I'll have...dunno about everyone else. I'm fine with the current time but I don't think the suggestion should be scoffed at as if brought up by some sort of lesser being. We could have a poll or something. If the majority think the current limit is best, then that's fine, but if a majority opt for less time, then it could at least be considered... :shrug:

AtomicBono said:

I hope you're not addressing me...

No...the whole "negative comments about any song longer than about 5-6 minutes" thing sounds more like Zoots to me. :hmm: :wink:

So ... if someone submitted a list that was significantly shorter than the maximum, would they be eliminated?

I feel like I've missed some important part of the rules or something.

AtomicBono said:

I hope you're not addressing me...I'm over 18 and have no problems with long songs as long as they're consistantly interesting. You'll notice I have a Porcupine Tree track on my list, for instance :wink:

the time thing was merely a suggestion. It has nothing to do with attention spans - like I said, it would certainly make it more difficult to make lists, as it was hard enough narrowing down to 2 hours and 40 minutes. I just thought it would make it easier for people listening - not just the people in the competiton, but the voters. Right now I've got no job and no classes so i have tons of free time, but even so I typically don't listen to more than one playlist a day, because I have other things I want to do. Once school starts and I'm working I don't know how much time I'll have...dunno about everyone else. I'm fine with the current time but I don't think the suggestion should be scoffed at as if brought up by some sort of lesser being. We could have a poll or something. If the majority think the current limit is best, then that's fine, but if a majority opt for less time, then it could at least be considered... :shrug:

I must say, I agree with this. The sheer scale of the whole thing is one of the reasons why I had to drop out of this competition. And I'm on holiday. Even without the pressures of paper deadlines and tests, I'm just doing so many other things every day that I simply don't have the time to dedicate myself to creating a playlist of my own and listening to 19 others. I know that by the time I get back to uni, I will have ZERO opportunity to listen to twenty different playlists. It's equivalent to listening to 40 albums. I don't know about anyone else, but in the space of a week, I'm lucky if I have the time for 20 albums.

Then again, I can see the other side of the argument as well. In order to construct a good playlist, you do sort of need to have two discs to work with.

So I really don't know...maybe there can be something else for people who just don't have the time? Something separate to Desert Island entirely? Perhaps a competition where you have to compile single disc tracklists based on a set theme, emotion or genre? Maybe even a "Best Of" competition where contestants compile a best of for a band of their choice? I don't know, just throwing out ideas.

Actually, I'll just let it out now...

Okay, this is my idea. The Desert Island Game stays the same. Between games, we have a smaller game in which you create an album between 60-80 minutes. The catch is that you have to have a title, cover, concept/story and that it HAS to be artistic. They would be like mini-movies. You'd submit them in August which would give people almost a month with them. This would also force people to put more effort and thought into them and maybe spark ideas for a Desert Island playlist. They would be like the prog game without the prog and shorter. :)

Would people be interested in that idea?

phanan said:
There's no rule as to how long your playlist needs to be, as long as it doesn't exceed the maximum allowed, which is 160 minutes.

Okay, gotcha. It just sounds like, from the organizers' perspective, that if you're going to submit something drastically less than 160 minutes, then don't bother.

I like Screwtape's new idea, but then again, I was surprised how quickly I was able to fill up 160 minutes, so I'm probably the wrong person to give my two cents on that.

I don't know what's wrong with my computer (and I rebooted), but every media fire file I download has one damaged/corrupt track. I'm on AtomicBono's list, and the one song I wanted to hear was missing (RATM) :grumpy: On file 2 it was U2's Discotheque, so luckily I have that one already :wink: Haven't done 3 or 4 yet. AND I have to have the zip file repaired before I can extract. Very weird :huh:

What program are you using to unzip? Maybe try installing it again to see if that helps. I have WinRAR and like that, and I've never had any problems with it.

Is Bono under Elvis's hat now? :giggle:

GibsonGirl said:

I must say, I agree with this. The sheer scale of the whole thing is one of the reasons why I had to drop out of this competition. And I'm on holiday. Even without the pressures of paper deadlines and tests, I'm just doing so many other things every day that I simply don't have the time to dedicate myself to creating a playlist of my own and listening to 19 others. I know that by the time I get back to uni, I will have ZERO opportunity to listen to twenty different playlists. It's equivalent to listening to 40 albums. I don't know about anyone else, but in the space of a week, I'm lucky if I have the time for 20 albums.

I know a lot of people are in this situation. I really hope you and the other people in this situation find the time to listen to a few of the playlists. Hopefully, a few of them intrigue people in this position enough to take a listen. :)

corianderstem said:

I like Screwtape's new idea, but then again, I was surprised how quickly I was able to fill up 160 minutes, so I'm probably the wrong person to give my two cents on that.

With the 60-80 minutes, people will have to work harder but the listener might be able to hear more. You would have to have a title, cover, concept/story and that it HAS to be artistic. I hope everyone realizes that in this idea.

I've never had any issues before. I believe it's the same WinZip file that opens zip files. Even tried with the .rar extension. Same problem. I hate installing/uninstalling/installing. I could try on this computer, but don't want to be downloading 19 lists of music onto this one.

And no, Bono is not under the hat :giggle:
I noticed you had Elvis on your list again. I wasn't sure which song to choose, but I do have one on my Desert Island list, of course :happy:

corianderstem said:
Okay, gotcha. It just sounds like, from the organizers' perspective, that if you're going to submit something drastically less than 160 minutes, then don't bother.

No, I don't care if people don't hit the 160 minute mark. It's merely a maximum. However, it strikes me as absurd to cut the maximum itself down to 80 minutes for the full-blown competition. That would be like deciding that rugby's just too tiring as a game of two halves, so in the World Cup, let's ditch the second half!

A mini-competition would be cool though. It'd be like the Rugby 7s. :wink:

LemonMelon said:
No...the whole "negative comments about any song longer than about 5-6 minutes" thing sounds more like Zoots to me. :hmm: :wink:

:madwife: I have several long songs in my itunes that I enjoy every second of! Just cos I was slow to warm up to Siberian Khatru doesn't mean I don't have an attention span! :grumpy: :wink:

I don't have too much time to listen to these playlists either, as I work long hours everyday and often times saturdays too! So I can see how 80 minutes will be much more manageable when it comes to listening to everyone's compilations. But I can also see how it would be very difficult to include everything that you want to. I guess the compromise is that... keep it 80 minutes so whatever you cannot include this time, you can include it in the next competition! :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom