Desert Island Album Game III: Rules and Sign-up Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried downloading the first link in Screwtape's email of his playlist 3 separate times on my other computer, and it will not open and I get some sort of error message. :(

Lila64 said:
I've tried downloading the first link in Screwtape's email of his playlist 3 separate times on my other computer, and it will not open and I get some sort of error message. :(

hmmm his worked fine for me (though they have no artist or album tags :madwife: )

i had trouble with one of LMP's though, but it was only because for some reason the file was not a .rar, so I just changed the name so it ended in .rar and it worked fine

I do like that the tracklistings were changed from four hours in the prog island game to two hours and 40 minutes for this game. I started following prog island too late to give myself enough time to listen to the lists, so I couldn't participate.

2:40 is a much more manageable time. It gives the creator enough time to establish a mood or theme, but that's not too much for someone to listen to, either all at once or in two parts. I've listened to my own list several times over the last week straight through, and I'm going to get started today on the lists we have (LemonMelon, I closed my eyes and pointed and got yours first :wink: ).

To start, there will be 48 hours to vote on each matchup, so that should give most people enough time to listen to both lists, even if theyhaven't heard them ahead of time. Some people skip the tracks they already know, so that they're only listening to what's unfamiliar to them. Voting will get easier time-wise as you go because you'll have already listened to the lists.

I don't know what I'm going to do about the early rounds of voting, because I'm going to be away for about 2 weeks. I'm going to listen to everything we have so far, and hopefully others can send me their lists as they finish them, and then once the organizers put together a competition bracket I can fill in my votes for each round through about Aug. 15. I'll have very limited computer access while I'm away, and my parents' employer blocks many websites, so I may not be able to get on here while I'm gone.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
Some people skip the tracks they already know, so that they're only listening to what's unfamiliar to them.

Well, I hope people don't simply skip but listen in about 15 to 30 seconds at the beginning and at the end, so they don't miss the flow from track to track.

Unfortunately I think some people vote without listening at all :(

I think the flow is one of the most interesting parts of the competition. I'm always interested to see how and why others arrange their songs. In close rounds, that will often be my deciding factor.

COBL_04 said:
It's proving too hard for me because the time limit is far too long.

It doesn't HAVE to be that long. That time limit is a maximum. If you want to make a shorter playlist, go for it.

(Honestly, I'm surprised I'm the first person to say that. :uhoh: )

I was able to download and unzip both Screwtape's and LMP's links, but last night everything else was giving me an error message. Looks to be fine today, though. So far.

Last edited:
BonoIsMyMuse said:
Unfortunately I think some people vote without listening at all :(

I think the flow is one of the most interesting parts of the competition. I'm always interested to see how and why others arrange their songs. In close rounds, that will often be my deciding factor.

I think that's definitely true. It's the arrangement of a whole set of songs as well, not just one or two, and you don't get the full effect of a tracklist unless you listen to it in its entirety.

Given the length of the tracklists and the time it takes to download, rearrange tracks into the order intended etc., I don't think that too many of those outside those actively participating in the competition will have the time or patience to do that for each entry. Hopefully all 20 participants will though!

Screwtape, your Disc 1 is so beautiful and so sad. I love how gorgeous it is and the flow is amazing but don't know if I can handle all these aching strings on a sunday. lol

Bonos_Lemon playlist is baller so far :up: some great transitions, like Heavy Metal Drummer into Bliss :drool: dig that Thrice song, had never heard them before...

I've still had trouble with Screwtape's Zip Files. I downloaded the first two, and ran a 'rebuild' option, and I'm only missing songs 4 and 9 from those two zip files. I'm downloading the 3rd part now. Only heard a few songs. If I'm on a desert island and this is all I get to hear :crack: (No offense Screwtape :wink: )

ETA: It seems like one song in each batch of the Zip files is corrupt or damaged for me, so I'm missing song 1 of the 3rd file (Tori Amos). I'm getting most of it. I hope I don't have this much trouble with the rest :|

Last edited:
Lila64 said:
I've still had trouble with Screwtape's Zip Files. I downloaded the first two, and ran a 'rebuild' option, and I'm only missing songs 4 and 9 from those two zip files. I'm downloading the 3rd part now. Only heard a few songs. If I'm on a desert island and this is all I get to hear :crack: (No offense Screwtape :wink: )

ETA: It seems like one song in each batch of the Zip files is corrupt or damaged for me, so I'm missing song 1 of the 3rd file (Tori Amos). I'm getting most of it. I hope I don't have this much trouble with the rest :|

Weird. None of my zip files have done this and even these have worked for everyone else. Sorry my playlist is giving you a hard time. :(

I figure that if you are on a desert island the thing you want more than anything else is to feel human and that you are not alone in this feeling. I think that is what my playlist does. Pain and sadness always fall to one's humanity. On an island, sometimes you need to be reminded of that humanity through compassion and mercy. :)

Pumpkins' Farewell And Goodnight to Tori's Sleeps With Butterflies is simply perfect! :love:

And Mysteries of Love by Julee Cruise = :drool:

oh yay, it was so nice opening my e-mail to this :drool:

Thanks so much Screwtape, I'll start downloading right away! :hyper:

Sorry, I really have to pull out. :sigh: I just don't have the time to put together anything. Maybe I'll do something for the next one.

GibsonGirl said:
Sorry, I really have to pull out. :sigh: I just don't have the time to put together anything. Maybe I'll do something for the next one.

:( That really sucks. Thanks for trying to put something together. I hope your schedule clears up and that you have to time to listen to some of the playlists. I really hope you participate in the next game. :)

AtomicBono said:
Bonos_Lemon playlist is baller so far :up: some great transitions, like Heavy Metal Drummer into Bliss :drool: dig that Thrice song, had never heard them before...

You'll love Thrice if you like Fall of Troy, their earlier stuff is mostly screaming. My favorite album of theirs is the most recent, Vhessiu. Just let me know if you'd like a hook up :wink:

And I'm lovin your playlists as well, that RATM song is totally :rockon: . If we weren't against each other, you'd have my vote :up:

Two important peices of business:

1. Axver and I were thinking that the critic's choice should consist of 10 people who have listened to each playlist. The two of us will take spots so that leaves 8 spots for critics. Remember that you will submit your nominees before the end of the championship.

1. Axver
2. Screwtape2

I'm thinking of adding some awards so I'll get those to you later. :)

2. The open spot. AnnieVox wanted any open spot if someone left. Seeing as we only have one weekend left and this comes on such short notice, I don't want AnnieVox to be rushed and anyone else for that matter. That would also increase the newcomer count to 11 and unfairly place one in a veteran group. So I was thinking that we could save AnnieVox a spot in the next game and just keep Group 1 at four people.

We would run it like this:

Round 1-3 would be a basic round robin.
Round 4 would pit the top two against each other as well as the bottom two. Sort of a winner and losers bracket.
Round 5 would be the winners of those matches and the losers against each other. A continuation of the winner and losers bracket idea.

Some matches would happen twice but it all depends on who votes at that time. I would prefer we do this as it is fair to AnnieVox and the rest of the contestants. Any objections or questions?

Bonos_Lemon said:

You'll love Thrice if you like Fall of Troy, their earlier stuff is mostly screaming. My favorite album of theirs is the most recent, Vhessiu. Just let me know if you'd like a hook up :wink:

And I'm lovin your playlists as well, that RATM song is totally :rockon: . If we weren't against each other, you'd have my vote :up:

you know at first the screaming in The Fall of Troy threw me off but I grew to love it :lol:

yeah a hook-up on Thrice would be baller...and if you want anything of mine lemme know. and when we're not against each other you should vote for me... I think yours is my favourite so far, but I dunno, LMP's is quite amazing. so far none of the playlists ive listened to have totally sucked so, good job guys :wink:

FUCK YOU I WONT DO WHAT YOU TELL ME UNNNNGHHHH MUTHAFUCKAAAAAA

...so what exactly is this critic's choice thing about...? :wink: like what do you do if you are a critic's choice?

AtomicBono said:

...so what exactly is this critic's choice thing about...? :wink: like what do you do if you are a critic's choice?

At the end of the game, a group of critics decide who deserves did awards. You would list your top 3 or maybe top 5 this time of who you thought deserved each award. There is a point total for each place. Then whoever has the most points wins that award. It is meant to recognize different playlists at the end. :)

Bonos_Lemon said:
You've got mail AtomicBono!

Score, thanks :up: love the Editors track you chose too; I'd never heard it before! i'm quite impressed by your playlist. it flows perfectly :up:

im also in love with LMP's though... and I still have screwtape's, edge's, and cori's to listen to...

you know I think COBL has a point with this length thing... would anyone else be in favor of making playlists 80 minutes next time? I do think it'd make it easier for people to listen to all of them, though it'd make it even more difficult to narrow down songs to make the playlist.

I just think it would be kind of interesting. Personally I think it would help more people listen, and to get something at 80 mins flowing and stuff is a good effort.

I think it would completely ruin the competition. Rest assurred, I would neither run nor compete in a game designed for people below the age of 18 with no attention span.

Yes, that was rude. Sue me.

Okay well if it ever happens don't compete then, simple as that lol. And as I said it's got nothing to do with attention span. How doo you find the time to listen to 64 hours of music over and over and over when you have Uni and everything else?

carry on..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom