Desert Island Album Game III: Rules and Sign-up Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

Here's what I think. The master list is posted on 31 July. The tournament begins the next Monday, which gives people nearly a week to begin listening. The first few heats will run independently, so that people have time to listen to each, and then we ease into running multiple heats at once.

I think the heats for round one should be 48 hours long, and by the end of that, we should be running at least two at a time. From round two until the finals stage, a heat is only 24 hours and every heat for a single group goes live at the same time. Quarter finals are held at the same time but for 48 hours. Same for semi finals and for third place/grand final.

But that's just my opinion. Phanan's the one who will make the polls, so it's ultimately his call, whatever works best for him.

I think it would be better if we had two matches at a time in the first round. I just don't want to have this last too long. By the way, I was planning to send out whatever links we have out on the weekend before the deadline before sending out the rest on the 21st. So I think we could start it on that Thursday. :shrug:

Screwtape2 said:
Maybe you could make a trilogy yourself?

Mine is essentially a quadrilogy in eight parts. Two parts to a desert island tracklist.

AOTEAROA: RUGGED INDIVIDUAL

Part I
Kapiti Island: Glistening Like A Pearl

Part II
Stewart Island: The Bottom Of The World

Part III
The Catlins: Tyranny Of Distance

Part IV
The Wairarapa: Lust Of A Pioneer

Part V
Southern Alps: Ramparts On The Sea

Part VI
Marlborough Sounds: Thunderclap In The Sky

Part VII
Kapiti Coast: A World To Explore

Part VIII
Papatuanuku: Fooled By Her Kind

It's very much a story of atmospheres and soundscapes, of isolation and experiences. Quite by accident, a more specific conceptual story was created in Parts I and II, and while I'm not making much of a deliberate effort, Parts III-VIII should continue it. It's based around Egon and Rowena Verlaine. I will be very impressed if anyone can figure out where I got those names from before seeing my tracklist for this round. Clue: it's got nothing to do with Tom.

This Egon?

egon.jpg

Axver said:

Mine is essentially a quadrilogy in eight parts. Two parts to a desert island tracklist.

Part I

Part II

Part III

Part IV

Part V

Part VI

Part VII

Part VIII

It's very much a story of atmospheres and soundscapes, of isolation and experiences. Quite by accident, a more specific conceptual story was created in Parts I and II, and while I'm not making much of a deliberate effort, Parts III-VIII should continue it. It's based around Egon and Rowena Verlaine. I will be very impressed if anyone can figure out where I got those names from before seeing my tracklist for this round. Clue: it's got nothing to do with Tom.

:bow: Did you lost your mind in New Zealand? :wink:

Axver said:

Part I

Part II

Part III

Part IV

Part V

Part VI

Part VII

Part VIII

mines about bitches and hoes
:shrug:

only part of it.
mine is about a man who finds himself repeating past mistakes and looking for redemption anywhere he can find it

only to fail again

Screwtape2 said:

:bow: Did you lost your mind in New Zealand? :wink:

:lol: Actually, I spotted the potential for the Egon and Rowena Verlaine story just before I left. Yesterday, I began work on a tracklist for Desert Island IV, and quite by accident, it slotted perfectly in as a continuation of III. The rest of the basic outline came today.

However, I haven't chosen many tracks, especially not for the last four parts, so this could really go anywhere.

Re: Re: Desert Island Album Game III: Rules and Sign-up Thread

AtomicBono said:

Do I have to type the title in caps? cuz like...it's just not a caps kind of title.

Nah, I don't give a shit about that. I'm just sick of having to ask people for things like track and overall runtimes or having to go through and fix confusing/inconsistent punctuation.

Axver said:

:lol: Actually, I spotted the potential for the Egon and Rowena Verlaine story just before I left. Yesterday, I began work on a tracklist for Desert Island IV, and quite by accident, it slotted perfectly in as a continuation of III. The rest of the basic outline came today.

However, I haven't chosen many tracks, especially not for the last four parts, so this could really go anywhere.

How you can think that far ahead is beyond me. I have only one idea about the next playlist but it is so absurdly off the wall that people may think I too have lost my mind. :wink:

By Egon do you mean: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egon_(fictional_country)

That would be so cool. :)

Screwtape2 said:

How you can think that far ahead is beyond me. I have only one idea about the next playlist but it is so absurdly off the wall that people may think I too have lost my mind. :wink:

By Egon do you mean: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egon_(fictional_country)

That would be so cool. :)

Heh, it's less a case of thinking ahead and more a case of telling all parts of a story. When you have the whole thing and know the overall themes and stories, you'll see why four tracklists were imperative.

And no, afraid it's not that either. Clue: Egon doesn't have the last name Verlaine for no reason.

(It's a shame Screendoor isn't on Interference these days, because he would get this one in an instant.)

Re: Re: Re: Desert Island Album Game III: Rules and Sign-up Thread

Axver said:

Nah, I don't give a shit about that. I'm just sick of having to ask people for things like track and overall runtimes or having to go through and fix confusing/inconsistent punctuation.

Alright cool

I'll be sending mine shortly; just gotta do my write-up

Axver said:

Heh, it's less a case of thinking ahead and more a case of telling all parts of a story. When you have the whole thing and know the overall themes and stories, you'll see why four tracklists were imperative.

And no, afraid it's not that either. Clue: Egon doesn't have the last name Verlaine for no reason.

(It's a shame Screendoor isn't on Interference these days, because he would get this one in an instant.)

Okay is it a reference to the song Death and the Maiden by the Verlaines which features a reference to a painting by Egon Schiele? That painting depicts a woman hugging a dead man. :wink:

Screwtape2 said:

Okay is it a reference to the song Death and the Maiden by the Verlaines which features a reference to a painting by Egon Schiele? That painting depicts a woman hugging a dead man. :wink:

WIN. I'm impressed. :up:

I'm using The Verlaines' Death And The Maiden. My motivation for the name is based on what you said, plus another lyric in the song that relates directly to the story of Egon and Rowena.

Rowena's name is a bit more obvious; Rowena's Theme by The Edge. In the context of the story, it's a very appropriate song for her as well.

The thing I love most about this tracklist is that you don't even need to be aware of all - or even any - of the stories/themes for it to work. Pretty much everything succeeded the music rather than preceding it. U2's Exit is the sole topical inclusion, and that only because I had to change the original ending due to running overtime.

Axver said:

WIN. I'm impressed. :up:

I'm using The Verlaines' Death And The Maiden. My motivation for the name is based on what you said, plus another lyric in the song that relates directly to the story of Egon and Rowena.

Rowena's name is a bit more obvious; Rowena's Theme by The Edge. In the context of the story, it's a very appropriate song for her as well.

The thing I love most about this tracklist is that you don't even need to be aware of all - or even any - of the stories/themes for it to work. Pretty much everything succeeded the music rather than preceding it. U2's Exit is the sole topical inclusion, and that only because I had to change the original ending due to running overtime.

Neat. I look forward to the start of this epic journey. :wink:

The Schiele painting is quite beautiful by the way. Have you thought of what you're going to do in the way of cover art?

Screwtape2 said:
The Schiele painting is quite beautiful by the way. Have you thought of what you're going to do in the way of cover art?

Yep. I've got photos in mind for both parts. I'm doing covers for each individual part, as I think that's the best way to illustrate things.

Axver said:

Yep. I've got photos in mind for both parts. I'm doing covers for each individual part, as I think that's the best way to illustrate things.

You really are pretty far on that epic. With so much focus on Desert Island 4, I wonder if anyone even remembers the playlists they made for this one. :wink:

I've come up with a great idea while thinking about how to overcome your 8 part epic. It is a love story of a sort. Everyone will see my romantic side. :shifty:

Screwtape2 said:
You really are pretty far on that epic. With so much focus on Desert Island 4, I wonder if anyone even remembers the playlists they made for this one. :wink:

I've come up with a great idea while thinking about how to overcome your 8 part epic. It is a love story of a sort. Everyone will see my romantic side. :shifty:

:lol: Hopefully this bodes well for Desert Island IV! My tracklist for Desert Island V has a very real chance of thoroughly crashing and burning, though ...

Heh, the Egon and Rowena Verlaine story starts out as a love story. It ends as something very, very sinister. A comparison of Part II: Stewart Island to Porcupine Tree's In Absentia would not be unjustified.

I think I'm happy with it as it is, so I'll get onto uploading it soon. It will also require a fairly lengthy LJ post to explain at least some of the themes, stories, and concepts that are at play. I definitely think this is one of the deepest tracklists I could have made.

And I wonder what people will make of my final track, which is sung in Swedish.

Axver said:

Here's what I think. The master list is posted on 31 July. The tournament begins the next Monday, which gives people nearly a week to begin listening. The first few heats will run independently, so that people have time to listen to each, and then we ease into running multiple heats at once.

I think the heats for round one should be 48 hours long, and by the end of that, we should be running at least two at a time. From round two until the finals stage, a heat is only 24 hours and every heat for a single group goes live at the same time. Quarter finals are held at the same time but for 48 hours. Same for semi finals and for third place/grand final.

But that's just my opinion. Phanan's the one who will make the polls, so it's ultimately his call, whatever works best for him.

I prefer running more than one heat at a time, even at the start, so this doesn't go for that long. So perhaps two heats at a time for Round 1, as Screwtape mentioned, then all heats for each group running simultaneously for subsequent rounds.

phanan said:
You guys have WAY too much time on your hands. I'm still finalizing my list for this one.

More to the point, I'm procrastinating.

But yes, I am a lazy Arts student. :wink:

phanan said:
I prefer running more than one heat at a time, even at the start, so this doesn't go for that long. So perhaps two heats at a time for Round 1, as Screwtape mentioned, then all heats for each group running simultaneously for subsequent rounds.

Righto, that's cool. How long do you think the heats should be? Should round one be 48 hours and subsequent ones 24, or all 24?

I've been debating the length of them. At first I thought 24 hours would be sufficient for the initial rounds, but in past editions there would be quite a few votes on the second day. So then I thought that they should be all 48 hours. If we run heats simultaneously, we could probably get away with that.

I don't know, I'm still thinking that over.

Starting with the quarterfinals, we'd be at 48 hours through the end.

Hmm, yeah. The second day has often been the day that has made a round. Second days failed for the Prog Island, but I think that was mainly due to the fact all of us who were interested voted straight away. The second day has always worked fine at the Desert Island level.

Just how many heats do we plan to run simultaneously, though? I don't think we should overload the forum with too many. I tend to view 4 at once as quite enough.

I concur. Based on Screwtape's schedule, the first round will be done two heats at a time. After that, we'll do four at a time. I think that will work.

I also agree about the second days having an impact previously. Based on that, I think we should make every poll 48 hours, from the beginning to the end.

Is everyone ok with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom