Desert Island Album Game III: Rules and Sign-up Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope people listen to all our lists in their entirety instead of voting based on only the known songs (which I myself am guilty of doing in the past). There's gonna be quite a bit of diversity on mine! As long as people give the time of day to even the songs they don't know and give them at least one listen, it's gonna be good.

As for Bon Jovi, if I recall right U2Vertigofly had not only Bon Jovi but the song many people are sick of hearing.. Livin On A Prayer and he still won that competition jointly with Axver! Different strokes for different folks. You never know what songs will win you the votes!

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:
I really hope people listen to all our lists in their entirety instead of voting based on only the known songs (which I myself am guilty of doing in the past). There's gonna be quite a bit of diversity on mine! As long as people give the time of day to even the songs they don't know and give them at least one listen, it's gonna be good.

I'll give you the time of day, for sure. :sexywink:

The whole Phil Collins-era Genesis thing you were talking about bothers me a bit though, I must admit. :| :wink:

LemonMelon said:

Look who's won the last two times. :wink: (no offense, LMP, but your playlists have been very accessible, IMO...though I wouldn't consider that an insult; I voted for you many times myself :giggle: )

LemonMelon, you didn't make your list based on that belief did you?

My belief is that no one should make a playlist designed specifically to win with familiarity. Honestly, make something that you can be proud of and that can affect a person. If you make something amazing and unique, you can win this game. Be proud of something and you have already won. :up:

Screwtape2 said:

LemonMelon, you didn't make your list based on that belief did you?

Absolutely not. My taste is just uncomfortably similar to that of inteference at large. Remember when I asked your opinion of my list? I did that because I felt it was too close to seeming a bit, I don't know...biased. Looking back, I figure it's a pretty excellent scan of my tastes, and that's good enough for me.

Zootlesque said:

As for Bon Jovi, if I recall right U2Vertigofly had not only Bon Jovi but the song many people are sick of hearing.. Livin On A Prayer and he still won that competition jointly with Axver! Different strokes for different folks. You never know what songs will win you the votes!

:yes: All, I can say is that He and Bruce will probably get a spot on all of my lists. That's the music I've grown up with, so it's what I'd bring on a Desert Island. Plus, I have to represent my people from Jersey. :wink:

LemonMelon said:
Look who's won the last two times. :wink: (no offense, LMP, but your playlists have been very accessible, IMO...though I wouldn't consider that an insult; I voted for you many times myself :giggle: )

None taken. The first one was very accessible, almost to a fault looking back at it, but I am really proud of my 2nd one now.

Some of the songs are considered accessible because they're so good though, this is definitely a hard thing to debate.

What else is interesting is looking back on past lists and seeing how tastes have changed over time, I know mine definitely has.

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:

Absolutely not. My taste is just uncomfortably similar to that of inteference at large. Remember when I asked your opinion of my list? I did that because I felt it was too close to seeming a bit, I don't know...biased. Looking back, I figure it's a pretty excellent scan of my tastes, and that's good enough for me.

I think there are so many different musical tastes that familiarity is hard to gage. I don't think your playlist is too close to Interference. More than most playlists I can say that it is you . :)

Screwtape2 said:

I think there are so many different musical tastes that familiarity is hard to gage. I don't think your playlist is too close to Interference. More than most playlists I can say that it is you . :)

Thank you very much. My job is done to my satisfaction then.

:ohmy: I haven't been able to get online for a few days and I come back to this

:sigh: well I guess I'll save this list for the next round :wink:

I think that making playlists with the aim of gaining votes through familiarity doesn't work. The voting can be too unpredictable, and you never know quite what people are familiar with - or more to the point, what they're familiar with and actually LIKE. You can make a playlist of songs people know very well, but that doesn't mean they'll vote for you. And trying to pick what people will like is impossible, especially as your victory is dependent on who turns up to vote. You could make a wonderful indie playlist, but if your round's on a day when most of the indie fans aren't online, you just might lose to someone who has made a prog playlist because people such as liamcool and I are online!

Is there anyone around who would be willing to offer up five minutes with their Photoshop or similar program to slap some text on a pic?

Seriously just me sending a picture and saying "Can you write "blah blah blah in black text on it"?

I don't have any programs like that, so it's either volunteer effort or nothing for my submission.

I'm okay with nothing, I just thought it was worth asking. :wink:

You don't have Paint? That's what I use to the "slap text on a picture" thing.

corianderstem said:
Is there anyone around who would be willing to offer up five minutes with their Photoshop or similar program to slap some text on a pic?

Seriously just me sending a picture and saying "Can you write "blah blah blah in black text on it"?

I don't have any programs like that, so it's either volunteer effort or nothing for my submission.

I'm okay with nothing, I just thought it was worth asking. :wink:

I'll try, if you like:

islagia@aol.com

Nope, not even Paint. Sad, right?

LMP, thank you. I haven't really started thinking about it yet, but I will shoot you an email. If it doesn't work out, I'll live.

:wink:

Careful who you say that to. You say that to the wrong (or the right?) girl, she'll be all over you like white on rice.

:wink:

Zootlesque said:

agreed (I'm looking forward to yours zoot!! I'm gonna send you mine right now!!!!!!)

that's what I'm looking forward to, actually. Hearing new stuff :up: people will definitely need to do that with mine... please don't judge based on names like Alien Ant Farm and Chevelle, it's good I swear :sad: :wink:

i will do my best to listen to everyone's playlists. How long does voting last? just one day? cuz I mean, to listen to a playlist in its entirety that means you have to have a lot of free time...which I do for now but when school starts who knows

I, uh, have the outline of my tracklists for my next three Desert Island entries. :reject:

All three are loosely tied together and also linked to my entry for this competition. Now if this isn't prog, I don't know what is. :drool:

AtomicBono said:

agreed (I'm looking forward to yours zoot!! I'm gonna send you mine right now!!!!!!)

that's what I'm looking forward to, actually. Hearing new stuff :up: people will definitely need to do that with mine... please don't judge based on names like Alien Ant Farm and Chevelle, it's good I swear :sad: :wink:

i will do my best to listen to everyone's playlists. How long does voting last? just one day? cuz I mean, to listen to a playlist in its entirety that means you have to have a lot of free time...which I do for now but when school starts who knows

I was thinking two days with one half of a round played at the same time. I'm not sure what Axver or Phanan were thinking of doing.

Screwtape2 said:

I was thinking two days with one half of a round played at the same time. I'm not sure what Axver or Phanan were thinking of doing.

Here's what I think. The master list is posted on 31 July. The tournament begins the next Monday, which gives people nearly a week to begin listening. The first few heats will run independently, so that people have time to listen to each, and then we ease into running multiple heats at once.

I think the heats for round one should be 48 hours long, and by the end of that, we should be running at least two at a time. From round two until the finals stage, a heat is only 24 hours and every heat for a single group goes live at the same time. Quarter finals are held at the same time but for 48 hours. Same for semi finals and for third place/grand final.

But that's just my opinion. Phanan's the one who will make the polls, so it's ultimately his call, whatever works best for him.

Axver said:
I, uh, have the outline of my tracklists for my next three Desert Island entries. :reject:

All three are loosely tied together and also linked to my entry for this competition. Now if this isn't prog, I don't know what is. :drool:

I sort of view mine as a trilogy.

To The Stars, A Fire Cried No Hiding Place (Rebirth)
The Black Forest (Life)
A Little Chopin & Nightflight (Death)

Maybe you could make a trilogy yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom