Desert Island Album Game III: Rules and Sign-up Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mountain Dew Ma said:
lmp,

is it ok if mine gets there tomorrow
in the morning or afternoon

i need to tweak it
and may/may not get it out tonight

if needed
i can still get it out.™

MDM, would you like to hear my playlist? I'm sending it out to some people tonight...

Last edited:
Mountain Dew Ma said:
lmp,

is it ok if mine gets there tomorrow
in the morning or afternoon

i need to tweak it
and may/may not get it out tonight

if needed
i can still get it out.™

Whenever you can get it out to me is great. :up:

I went to bed last night thinking my mix was done, then I woke up this morning thinking the first half was out of whack.

Now? It's perfect.

Let's see how I feel about it tomorrow. :wink:

Screwtape2 said:

I was really wishing that either you or Irishteen would have requested a spot. I hope you enjoy voting and listening to these playlists before creating something amazing for Desert Island 4. :)
Yeah and maybe you losers will let me into Desert Island 4 as I, again, will have an entry ready following the rules to the letter before anyone else :| :wink:

Both my discs were 50 minutes long and way under the max limit, by the way, because I don't want to bore people with frivolous filler tracks, my pretties.

I didn't look at my list yesterday, but I'm going to listen to it later today, and if I'm pleased with it, I'll go ahead and set up the track listing and get everything else ready. I'm going to have to burn and re-rip a few tracks, since I have a few things I got from iTunes.

Question. Am I allowed to have a friend help me with my album cover? I mean I told him what I wanted sort of but only his superior artistic vision could possibly produce a cover which encompasses the brilliant duality and perfection of my playlist ... :wink:

AtomicBono said:
Question. Am I allowed to have a friend help me with my album cover? I mean I told him what I wanted sort of but only his superior artistic vision could possibly produce a cover which encompasses the brilliant duality and perfection of my playlist ... :wink:

Yes. The images on LMP and my playlist are not original. The cover is more of a way to make a playlist stand out and represent the experience. It is the music that it is the most important. So go ahead. :up:

Trying to narrow it down from an 80 song playlist is not easy. I'm not sure whether to go with one theme (or a similar theme) throughout and pick the songs accordingly or simply pick the best of the best. :crazy:

Screwtape2 said:
I was really wishing that either you or Irishteen would have requested a spot. I hope you enjoy voting and listening to these playlists before creating something amazing for Desert Island 4. :)

:lol: It's funny you mention Irishteen...he's been here for the past two weeks on vacation and we've met up a couple of times. I'm sure he would've loved to take part in this too.

I'm really looking forward to your playlist, your submission last time was so unique and amazing. :drool:

I'll definitely be joining Desert Island 4...I'll start working on it soon so that it'll be a masterpiece by the time DI4 starts.:wink:

Zootlesque said:
Trying to narrow it down from an 80 song playlist is not easy. I'm not sure whether to go with one theme (or a similar theme) throughout and pick the songs accordingly or simply pick the best of the best. :crazy:

It's a toughie, but try and go for a mixture of both. It's cool to have a theme but it's more important to have those stand-out songs, you know?

Then save the songs you didn't use in another playlist for later. :up:

Lemonchick said:

:lol: It's funny you mention Irishteen...he's been here for the past two weeks on vacation and we've met up a couple of times. I'm sure he would've loved to take part in this too.

I'm really looking forward to your playlist, your submission last time was so unique and amazing. :drool:

I'll definitely be joining Desert Island 4...I'll start working on it soon so that it'll be a masterpiece by the time DI4 starts.:wink:

Thank you. :)

I'm sure you will make a mastepeice or at least something really special. That's why I wanted you and Irishteen to sign up. I can't wait for Desert Island 4. :hyper:

I hope Irishteen is enjoying his vacation and that you are enjoying meeting up with him. :up:

LemonMacPhisto said:

It's a toughie, but try and go for a mixture of both. It's cool to have a theme but it's more important to have those stand-out songs, you know?

Then save the songs you didn't use in another playlist for later. :up:

That's what I was thinking too! Thanks for the input. :)

Zootlesque said:

I'm going to be very honest with you, Zoots.

Familiarity gets you votes. It just does. Having an absolutely drool-worthy set with fantastic flow and atmosphere may get you considered for a vote, but, ultimately, it's those one or two songs that a person absolutely loves from your playlist that gets you the vote. I can't even remember how many times I heard someone say they voted for someone based on one song...

"It was soooooo close, but wow! (insert username here)'s list has David Bowie! :love: "

or, alternatively...

"Eww...Killers :barf: "

Go for universality if you want votes. Go for a theme and concept if you want to get praised.

This is true, but it would be hard for me to vote for a playlist with Bon Jovi on it, you know?

If I'm on a desert island for the rest of my life, I do not want to hear "Wanted Dead or Alive" as one of maybe 40 songs, my life would shitty enough.

Indeed, but Bon Jovi is a bad example because most B&C-going interferencers wouldn't be caught dead with one of their albums. :wink:

And universality is a double-edged sword. Though the majority probably like Oasis, there is a whole bunch of people that despise them and, if they were to even see them on your list, you would lose their vote. Weigh all that in.

LemonMelon said:

I'm going to be very honest with you, Zoots.

Familiarity gets you votes. It just does. Having an absolutely drool-worthy set with fantastic flow and atmosphere may get you considered for a vote, but, ultimately, it's those one or two songs that a person absolutely loves from your playlist that gets you the vote. I can't even remember how many times I heard someone say they voted for someone based on one song...

Actually, familiarity only extends to those who don't listen to the playlists. It only comes into play on those rare matches where most of those who listened don't show up. Those one or two songs can actually be less familiar songs. I know my playlist got votes for everything from Holst to a soundtrack peice from The Mission. Even Thelonious Monk got me a vote. I think by being diverse and making something unique you put yourself in the best position. Look at Axver in the last game.

:shh: The covers should increase the number of people who listen to the playlists.

Screwtape2 said:

Actually, familiarity only extends to those who don't listen to the playlists.

And what percentage is that? :hmm: Call me cynical, but I think it's quite high. Regardless, people will still love certain songs no matter the context. Besides, it takes several listens to get into new things, and I doubt people listen to the playlists more than once.

Look at Axver in the last game.

Look who's won the last two times. :wink: (no offense, LMP, but your playlists have been very accessible, IMO...though I wouldn't consider that an insult; I voted for you many times myself :giggle: )

LemonMelon said:
Indeed, but Bon Jovi is a bad example because most B&C-going interferencers wouldn't be caught dead with one of their albums. :wink:

:shifty:

Leave me alone, I was 11. :reject:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom