Desert Island Album Game II: Semi Final 2 - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Which tracklist do you prefer?
U2VertigoFly's tracklist 17 50.00%
Axver's tracklist 17 50.00%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2007, 12:18 AM   #46
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:47 AM
He said there is no "II". There is a collection called "Kayak" and most of it is on there. The rest of it is on "Royal Bed Bouncer" as bonus tracks.

Hope that makes sense!

Old 05-12-2007, 01:04 AM   #47
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Go on, you know you want to vote for me. After all, mine's the only one of the two with Split Enz goodness.
actually, after much, much deliberation, i did decide to go with you.

i kept looking and comparing and couldn't decide, so i looked at both lists and wrote down the songs from each list i really liked. then, i also wrote down the songs from each list i really didn't like.

i liked u2vf's U2 song better, as well as the queen song. but i liked your police song better. your use of crowded house, neil finn, and split enz of course swayed it greatly in your direction. the fact that there were less songs on your list i didn't like sealed it.

of course, whoever loses this round i'll definitely be voting for in the next round, because like i said these are definitely two of my favourite playlists

Old 05-12-2007, 08:54 AM   #48
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:47 AM
17-17 with just under an hour to go?! Bah!!

It doesn't help that we lack a coherent policy on what happens in case of a draw.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64
And he probably wouldn't be all "this flows into that" song. He just thinks he'd have some obscure stuff that you might not have heard of. Who knows. I think it would be interesting for him to do it, since this group of competitors might actually listen to the CDs as a whole.
New prog stuff.

I'll certainly check out everything I don't already know and listen to the playlists in order.

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
actually, after much, much deliberation, i did decide to go with you.

i kept looking and comparing and couldn't decide, so i looked at both lists and wrote down the songs from each list i really liked. then, i also wrote down the songs from each list i really didn't like.

i liked u2vf's U2 song better, as well as the queen song. but i liked your police song better. your use of crowded house, neil finn, and split enz of course swayed it greatly in your direction. the fact that there were less songs on your list i didn't like sealed it.
Hooray! You know, I actually agree on the point that Bad > Treasure, but I feel Treasure worked so perfectly in that spot in the tracklist. I love the run from 6 to 10; I think all those tracks slotted together well. Though I can't agree at all that Radio Ga Ga > Long Away; sure, the former's a nice song, but Long Away is my favourite Queen song ever.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-12-2007, 09:00 AM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 09:47 AM
Quote:
17-17 with just under an hour to go?! Bah!!

It doesn't help that we lack a coherent policy on what happens in case of a draw.

A test of setlist knowledge?

Seriously, I guess we would poll the contestants either by them posting or responding to a PM in a 12 or 24 hour period.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:35 AM   #50
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

A test of setlist knowledge?

Seriously, I guess we would poll the contestants either by them posting or responding to a PM in a 12 or 24 hour period.
Hmm. Perhaps. My preference is to follow the tournament's one precedent that we set with Fitz and Amy, by running the round again. However, as we'd all like to progress to the 3rd place play-off and the final, the re-run would only be open for a day.

What do you think?

(Though preferably, a last minute voter will rock up! This is nerve-wracking.)

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-12-2007, 09:38 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
That would work but if we did that I don't think we should do the 3rd place game.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #52
Vocal parasite

Quote:
That would work but if we did that I don't think we should do the 3rd place game.
Why not? Is it your argument that such a run-off would clearly establish the loser as 3rd?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-12-2007, 09:44 AM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Why not? Is it your argument that such a run-off would clearly establish U2VertigoFly as 3rd?
No, I just think that having the loser compete for another two days after three days of this round would be overkill for the voters. Plus when we do the awards it will be clear who would have been in 3rd place.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:45 AM   #54
Vocal parasite

Aaaaand THAT'S A DRAW!

The way I see it, we have three options:

1. Both U2VF and I advance to the final and we have a three-way contest. I'm well aware that Screwtape's not a fan of this sort of option.
2. We run the round again, with the poll open for a day. This could, however, lead to the loser being declared outright 3rd and no 3rd place playoff being held. I feel a bit bad about this, as I don't want to deny Lance his shot at 3rd place. Though, that said, he'd lose that shot in the case of option #1 no matter what.
3. We poll the 24 contestants and the winner of that poll goes through. I quite dislike this system as I don't like the idea of an exclusive group determining the outcome.

I favour option #2, with further discussion on whether or not the 3rd place playoff will be held.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-12-2007, 09:47 AM   #55
Vocal parasite

Quote:

No, I just think that having the loser compete for another two days after three days of this round would be overkill for the voters. Plus when we do the awards it will be clear who would have been in 3rd place.
Damnit, you got to my post before I edited it. That old copy makes me look really bad! There was meant to be an "or I" in there, but when I edited, I figured "the loser" rather than "U2VF or I" was more clear. It just took forever for my edit to go through due to my Internet temporarily dying.

But anyway, I see your point. I'm honestly not sure what to do. I'd like further discussion and input.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-12-2007, 09:50 AM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Aaaaand THAT'S A DRAW!

The way I see it, we have three options:

1. Both U2VF and I advance to the final and we have a three-way contest. I'm well aware that Screwtape's not a fan of this sort of option.
Actually, I'd choose option #1. I'm not a fan of three-way matches but it's the simple solution plus you and U2VF had such a tight match that the both of you deserve the spot. Part of me thinks it would be a tie if we ran it another day.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:59 AM   #57
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Actually, I'd choose option #1. I'm not a fan of three-way matches but it's the simple solution plus you and U2VF had such a tight match that the both of you deserve the spot. Part of me thinks it would be a tie if we ran it another day.
Well, yeah, that's true. For this entire match, neither contestant achieved a lead of more than 2 votes, and it was generally tied or just a margin of a single vote. The more I think about it, the more I wonder what the point of running it again would be - in most cases, the same people will be voting, and it'll really be a question of "who doesn't show up?"

Plus, like you say, it's quicker. I want to just get on with things. And this brings the Prog Island and the third edition of the full game closer.

Damnit, I don't know. Give me some time to think. I want to make a new round before I go to bed, but it's midnight already here so we don't have too much time to reach a decision. I just know that no matter what we do, SOMEONE will stroll in and say "whiiine, why didn't you do blah?" From past experience, that someone is usually a person who never would have contributed while we were working out what exactly to do though, so eh.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-12-2007, 10:08 AM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Axver, when you make the final can you throw this in there too (it's the critic's corner which I'll keep score of):

With the final here we also reach the end of the year awards. The 24 contestants can fill this out to determine who deserves each award sort of a Critic’s Choice Awards. Vote for the top 3 who you feel deserve these various awards by ranking them 1-3 next to the corresponding award. Each 1st place vote equals 3 points and 2nd place 2 point and 3rd place 1 point. These will be tallied and the person with the most points receives that award. ONLY the 24 contestants can vote.

Best-
Most creative-
Most diverse-
Best songs-
Best mood-
Best flow-
Most unique-
Old 05-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #59
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Axver, when you make the final can you throw this in there too (it's the critic's corner which I'll keep score of):

With the final here we also reach the end of the year awards. The 24 contestants can fill this out to determine who deserves each award sort of a Critic’s Choice Awards. Vote for the top 3 who you feel deserve these various awards by ranking them 1-3 next to the corresponding award. Each 1st place vote equals 3 points and 2nd place 2 point and 3rd place 1 point. These will be tallied and the person with the most points receives that award. ONLY the 24 contestants can vote.

Best-
Most creative-
Most diverse-
Best songs-
Best mood-
Best flow-
Most unique-
I'm thinking I should actually make that as a separate thread, or perhaps try to personally e-mail/PM all the contestants. I don't want to add any more clutter to the final thread, especially as it may have three full tracklists - I'm currently swinging in favour of going with option #1.

Also, will we prohibit people from voting for themselves or not? Personally, I know I'll definitely vote for myself for "best songs", and I suspect most people will similarly vote for themselves in that category, if not others too.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-12-2007, 10:17 AM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I'm thinking I should actually make that as a separate thread, or perhaps try to personally e-mail/PM all the contestants. I don't want to add any more clutter to the final thread, especially as it may have three full tracklists - I'm currently swinging in favour of going with option #1.

Also, will we prohibit people from voting for themselves or not? Personally, I know I'll definitely vote for myself for "best songs", and I suspect most people will similarly vote for themselves in that category, if not others too.
The e-mail/PM would work the best and yeah you can't vote for yourself. I forgot to add that. You could send the results to me and I'll do the tallying.

Tags
desert island