Desert Island Album Game II: Semi Final 2 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Which tracklist do you prefer?
U2VertigoFly's tracklist 17 50.00%
Axver's tracklist 17 50.00%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-10-2007, 06:23 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

Just a warning that a couple of my selections will probably be considered sub-genres of the progressive movement in the 70's. After all, while progressive rock was the primary form, there were many other great pieces of work that aren't considered rock but are definitely considered progressive. You'll notice which ones they are...
That's how my playlist is too. It's funny that some people think that all Prog rock sounds like Yes and Pink Floyd.
__________________

__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 05-10-2007, 06:25 PM   #17
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,047
Local Time: 05:09 AM
Wow, I can't believe I'm actually still in the lead. 10-9 at this stage. Close rounds are fun for anyone who ISN'T actually competing in the damn thing!

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
wow, i'm gonna have to do some thinking about this one. i'm torn how to vote because these are two of my favourite playlists, along with fitzchivalry's (excluding mine, obviously).
Go on, you know you want to vote for me. After all, mine's the only one of the two with Split Enz goodness.

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
Just a warning that a couple of my selections will probably be considered sub-genres of the progressive movement in the 70's. After all, while progressive rock was the primary form, there were many other great pieces of work that aren't considered rock but are definitely considered progressive. You'll notice which ones they are...
That's cool. "Prog", not "rock", is the key word after all.

Really, as long as it fits in with the prog scene, it's permitted, even if it wouldn't be defined as "prog rock" itself. For example, I'd be willing to allow that crazy avantgarde Rock In Opposition stuff - in fact, I nearly included some really demented underground Czech material but it fell victim to the time limit - and I think stuff like psychedelia like early Pink Floyd is close enough to prog to count.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64
As for prog stuff, I'll ask hubby if he's interested. Doubtful, but you never know. Anyone have Grobschnitt on their list? Kayak? early IQ?
If he wants to compete, he'd be welcome. I don't have the first two, but I do have some IQ. I was originally going to go with one of their earlier songs, but a track from 2004's Dark Matter fit better.
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-10-2007, 06:28 PM   #18
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,047
Local Time: 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
That's how my playlist is too. It's funny that some people think that all Prog rock sounds like Yes and Pink Floyd.
I guess that's really the point of this competition, demonstrating that prog is not this bland genre of the stereotypes. The goal of my tracklist is to demonstrate that it's a diverse and beautiful genre that didn't die after the 1970s but actually still has plenty of relevance to a listener in 2007.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-10-2007, 07:09 PM   #19
Acrobat
 
Tarvark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 447
Local Time: 06:09 PM
What exactly is progressive music? What definition are you going by? Are we talking Meredith or Thelonious Monk? Henry Cowell or Yes?

I dont think I have the sea legs or inclination to compete in a prog rock sort of thing (to be honest it's just not my cup of tea) but am curious to hear your definitions.

I'm reading a book about cultural manifestations of revolution and revolt and classical musics cropping up all over the place. I could make a play list with that sort of music which is progressive both musically and socially, but would that just be out of place/ a little weird?
__________________
Tarvark is offline  
Old 05-10-2007, 07:41 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tarvark
What exactly is progressive music? What definition are you going by? Are we talking Meredith or Thelonious Monk? Henry Cowell or Yes?

I dont think I have the sea legs or inclination to compete in a prog rock sort of thing (to be honest it's just not my cup of tea) but am curious to hear your definitions.

I'm reading a book about cultural manifestations of revolution and revolt and classical musics cropping up all over the place. I could make a play list with that sort of music which is progressive both musically and socially, but would that just be out of place/ a little weird?
First off, it's progressive rock not progressive music. Progressive rock tends to use normal rock instruments. The genre has no clear characteristics other than that it expands on and uses musical elements differently than rock. In short, a prog rock artist is easy identifiable because of a difference in certain things to rock while having many elements of rock. I hope that makes sense.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 05-10-2007, 07:45 PM   #21
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,047
Local Time: 05:09 AM
Someone was going to ask "what is progressive music" sooner or later, weren't they?

Despite the ease of stereotypes, prog can be so bloody hard to pin down. Wikipedia can't seem to provide something clear, which is a shame because I was hoping to fall back on someone else's definition. I suppose we're basically looking at the movement spawned by King Crimson's In The Court Of The Crimson King and its sub-genres.

I'm actually quite interested in what you'd make, Tarvark, but by your description, it doesn't really sound as if it would fit. Though maybe it would, given that many prog bands draw strong influences from classical music and infuse their material with classical techniques largely absent from other types of rock.

Well, in any case, to try to provide some context, here's some of the more well-known songs from my provisional tracklist:

Marillion - "Assassing" - Fugazi (7:02)
Rush - "Red Barchetta" - Moving Pictures (6:10)
Pink Floyd - "Sorrow" - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason (8:49)
Camel - "Rhayader" - The Snow Goose (3:02)
Split Enz - "Time For A Change" - Second Thoughts (Remastered) (4:04)
Passengers - "Always Forever Now" - Original Soundtracks No. 1 (6:23)

Yes, I'm using Passengers. I swear, a lot of that stuff could fit on atmospheric prog albums. Always Forever Now is not out of place whatsoever on my tracklist, though it does briefly seem weird when Bono's vocals come in.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-10-2007, 07:55 PM   #22
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 12:09 PM
I like U2VertigoFly's list for the most part, but it violates the "No Bon Jovi Rule" so it loses by default

Axver's list is great, there's no question about it, but it would be hard for me to listen to it for the rest of my life on an island, you know? I'd have to be in the mood.

Axver
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 05-10-2007, 08:07 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Someone was going to ask "what is progressive music" sooner or later, weren't they?

Despite the ease of stereotypes, prog can be so bloody hard to pin down. Wikipedia can't seem to provide something clear, which is a shame because I was hoping to fall back on someone else's definition. I suppose we're basically looking at the movement spawned by King Crimson's In The Court Of The Crimson King and its sub-genres.
To me Prog can be separated into 5 major categories which sound nothing like the other:

Classical/jazz/folk inspired: Renaissance, Focus, Gentle Giant and Genesis
Metal Prog: ask Axver
Bombastic: Yes, King Crimson, Utopia and Queen
Ambience/Electronic: Brian Eno, Passengers, Alan Parsons, Kraftwerk and ELP
Soundscape: Pink Floyd, Starcastle, Moody Blues and Porcupine Tree
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 05-10-2007, 08:26 PM   #24
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,047
Local Time: 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
I like U2VertigoFly's list for the most part, but it violates the "No Bon Jovi Rule" so it loses by default
I'm surprised anyone could make the semis here with a Bon Jovi song!

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
To me Prog can be separated into 5 major categories which sound nothing like the other:

Classical/jazz/folk inspired: Renaissance, Focus, Gentle Giant and Genesis
Metal Prog: ask Axver
Bombastic: Yes, King Crimson, Utopia and Queen
Ambience/Electronic: Brian Eno, Passengers, Alan Parsons, Kraftwerk and ELP
Soundscape: Pink Floyd, Starcastle, Moody Blues and Porcupine Tree
I think that's a pretty fair division, though someone like Porcupine Tree would easily cross over into prog metal nowadays, and into ambience in the very early years (i.e. pre-Up The Downstair).
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-10-2007, 10:07 PM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Lila64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ♥Set List Lane♥
Posts: 52,710
Local Time: 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver



If he wants to compete, he'd be welcome. I don't have the first two, but I do have some IQ. I was originally going to go with one of their earlier songs, but a track from 2004's Dark Matter fit better.

Well, when you iron out all the details, parameters, etc., let me know and I'll ask him. He took out a giant stack of CDs, but said that it might be too difficult. Perhaps it depends on the timeframe, etc. It could be very time consuming, not like he doesn't have the time. Though he should be helping me with work
__________________
Lila64 is offline  
Old 05-10-2007, 10:43 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,064
Local Time: 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2


To me Prog can be separated into 5 major categories which sound nothing like the other:
Very true, and that's one of the challenges with this. Trying to make a mix that pulls those different sounds together. Obviously, today's neo-progsters have a different sound from classic prog, and in my preliminary stages of trying to sequence this thing together, I'm finding it difficult to make a good mix without it sounding too jarring from one song to the other.

But I'll make it work.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 05-11-2007, 01:24 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life
 
BonosLil'Pal94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In the Darkest Timeline
Posts: 14,504
Local Time: 11:09 AM
Kenny
__________________
BonosLil'Pal94 is offline  
Old 05-11-2007, 02:12 AM   #28
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2


To me Prog can be separated into 5 major categories which sound nothing like the other:

Classical/jazz/folk inspired: Renaissance, Focus, Gentle Giant and Genesis
Metal Prog: ask Axver
Bombastic: Yes, King Crimson, Utopia and Queen
Ambience/Electronic: Brian Eno, Passengers, Alan Parsons, Kraftwerk and ELP
Soundscape: Pink Floyd, Starcastle, Moody Blues and Porcupine Tree
Thank God, I didn't want to ask, but I was super confused because people always told me that Genesis/Peter Gabriel were prog rock but neither you or Axver has mentioned either once, so I thought maybe whoever told me that was an idiot.....
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 05-11-2007, 10:29 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64

As for prog stuff, I'll ask hubby if he's interested. Doubtful, but you never know. Anyone have Grobschnitt on their list? Kayak? early IQ?
I have Kayak on my list. "And I don't know if it's you I'm looking for, I'm only trying to find a reason for it all." Yes, they were blatant Yes ripoffs (made even funnier by the fact that I'm following their song with a Yes song), but they wrote some fantastic work.

I'm also finding it hard to bridge the gap between 70s prog and the more modern prog of today. Anyone who knows me knows that 70s prog is my thing, but there are some essential tracks from the last ten years that I simply can't ignore. I think I've found a fairly good transition song, however, that ties both sounds together. Another problem I'm finding is that I'm struggling to keep songs under ten minutes. I want to include as many artists as I can, but I often just prefer their longer songs. So far, I have six songs that breach the ten minute mark...it's enough to give some people in B&C a hernia. I might have to break up my killer ending. One song is 11:45 and the other is 10:45. It's no problem for me to listen to two long songs back to back, especially when I love them so much, but others might get bored.
__________________
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 05-11-2007, 10:58 AM   #30
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,047
Local Time: 05:09 AM
Just thinking about Screwtape's five subsections of prog, I think it would be fair to add in a sixth, as I think a number of bands in this grouping really don't fit in any of the five categories.

6. Neo-prog: While some use "neo-prog" to refer to just about anything post-seventies, I'm using it here to refer to the "second wave" of prog that arose in the eighties at the hands of groups such as Marillion, IQ, and Pendragon. It really infused prog with some structural sensibilities derived from more popular music *cough*Marillion'sKayleigh*cough* and heightened the prominence of synethesisers in a way not seen in any other style of prog.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64
Well, when you iron out all the details, parameters, etc., let me know and I'll ask him. He took out a giant stack of CDs, but said that it might be too difficult. Perhaps it depends on the timeframe, etc. It could be very time consuming, not like he doesn't have the time. Though he should be helping me with work
I'd be very interested to see what he'd submit. I'll probably start the rules/sign-up thread after the final of this tournament, so in about 5-6 days. If I were him, I'd give myself a goal or objective for the tracklist to help narrow down selections. Personally, when I realised I had 6.5 hours of songs, I decided prog metal wasn't the way I wished to go, so I cut it and focused on the development of a more sweeping atmosphere than is possible with the intensity of bands such as Dark Suns and Hammers Of Misfortune.

Quote:
Originally posted by bono_212
Thank God, I didn't want to ask, but I was super confused because people always told me that Genesis/Peter Gabriel were prog rock but neither you or Axver has mentioned either once, so I thought maybe whoever told me that was an idiot.....
Heh, no, Genesis was very much one of the big prog bands of their time. I have a couple of their albums and they've done some fine work, but nothing I've massively fallen in love with. I'm glad I have The Lamb Lies Down and Selling England By The Pound, but it's a rare day when I'll pick them over, say, Porcupine Tree or Marillion or Pure Reason Revolution.
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
 

Tags
desert island

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com