Desert Island Album Game II: Semi-final 1 - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Which tracklist do you prefer?
LemonMacPhisto's tracklist 22 59.46%
Lancemc's tracklist 15 40.54%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2007, 12:37 PM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:21 AM
I just had an idea. I think most people would download the songs if they were readily available without having to go through email. Now I know we're not allowed to post links for officially released material, but what we could do is post a webpage that would have all the links there, if someone were able to host that. This way, people can go listen to whatever they want without having to request it via email, and at the same time, because the links wouldn't be directly posted here, Interference would not be held liable for anything.

That might get more people to listen.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:28 PM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
I'd just like to throw something out there.

I understand the criticism of playlists like mine and LMP's for being "B&C-esque" or "ordinary" mine is. But you know what? This shouldn't have been called the "Desert Island Album Game" then. If I had set out to make the most "artistic" playlist, or just the most well-rounded or impressive list I could make, it would have looked a lot different.

I guess I'm just proposing a name change to the contest. I feel like some people are unfairly judging my list based on the "common-ness" of the artists or songs. Well, isn't that sort of the point of this? I want to be trapped on a desert island with songs that represent what I love most about my favorite artists right? And in that sense, if everyone actually made their playlists that way, what I consider the right way given the contest's name and intent, there would be no way to judge the lists anyway, since they'd be so personal.

So how about we just call the next competition a "Make the most kick-ass playlist you can" Game of something along those lines. Did that make any sense at all? I just woke up.
Axver and I are not being critical of your playlist. In fact your playlist is my sixth favorite playlist in the competition and LMP isn't far behind. The way your playlist turned out is very B&C-esque but that's not a bad thing. If this were a prog site, Axver's and mine would be considered the same thing but that doesn't take anything away from the playlists. A playlist doesn't have to be artistic or anything Axver and I said, that is just what we prefer. If you haven't noticed our musical taste is pretty out there. We don't have any negative feelings about your playlist or LMP's playlist. I'm sorry if you or LMP got that impression.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:38 PM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:21 AM
I'm not saying that you had negative feelings, but I'm just saying that well yeah...it is a very common "B&C" playlist, but I didn't ever really mean it to be. I still think a name/decription change might not be the worst idea.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:44 PM   #79
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:21 PM
This doesn't do much good, but I ultimately decided not to vote on this one because I couldn't decide which tracklist I liked more. They're two of my favorite mixes from two of my favorite boarders, and the decision was just too damn difficult.

Great jeorb to both of you.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:54 PM   #80
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:21 AM
I think I'm somewhat indicative of the non-playing observant public.

I have made something of an effort to listen to the lists as they stand. I've recreated a few of my favorites out of music I have and have tried to look at flow.

Still I didnt go out of my way to get the obscure tracks, mostly because I am alittle hesitant in using the internet for mass music sharing.

If I hadn't heard 1/2 the tracks I just didnt vote.

However it strikes me I probably was not the best consumer or judge. The point of the game is to manipulate your music in to an artistic statement right? And to introduce that statement and new music to everyone else?

I think I would have been better able to serve the polls and would have befitted from the competition more if I had put effort and emailed for those links. I would have defiantly enjoyed it more.

I guess this is just a plea for the general non-playing public, like me, to get more involved before you make judgments.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:55 PM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13
This doesn't do much good, but I ultimately decided not to vote on this one because I couldn't decide which tracklist I liked more. They're two of my favorite mixes from two of my favorite boarders, and the decision was just too damn difficult.

Great jeorb to both of you.
Yours was my favorite in the whole competition. Therefor you should vote for me.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:58 PM   #82
ONE
love, blood, life

Well, that's electioneering if I've ever seen it. It worked, though. My vote is yours, sir.

"I trust I can rely on your vote."
Old 05-09-2007, 02:08 PM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Much obliged, sire.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #84
ONE
love, blood, life

I rather like the idea of having a "critic's choice" aspect to the competetion. It would definitely be a nice addition. And I think phanan's idea for track distribution is good. It wouldn't be difficult to organise, and I could most certainly host the page(s) on my website.

Oh, and I voted for LMP. Your tracklist is just so fun. It puts me into a good mood.

I was bored this afternoon, so I put together a tracklist that is purely atmospheric / prog / semi-prog (i.e. songs by bands that are not considered prog but show occasional prog tendencies.) I have to shuffle the whole thing around a few times, but I will absolutely not remove the last two songs. Oh goodness, it is perfect. They move so naturally into one another that I almost got teary-eyed when I listened to it the first time with a 6 second crossfade.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:50 PM   #85
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:21 AM
Lance - I understood your post. This is the "Desert Island Album Game", not the make an artistic statement. And I have no input for the next round or suggestions. I did try and download all the tracks in the beginning of the competition, but it gets very tedious downloading numerous tracklistings, especially when it's one song at a time. Even a zipped file takes a while, and I just don't have tons of free space on my other computer to do so Though I did download most of Axver's. And if I knew the track or already had it, I didn't bother downloading again. And for songs I couldn't download, I did try and search them out on a retail site to hear portions of the song. Maybe I should abstain from voting next round

And Lance, it was a tough decision this round. Sorry bud
Old 05-09-2007, 03:36 PM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64
Lance - I understood your post. This is the "Desert Island Album Game", not the make an artistic statement. And I have no input for the next round or suggestions. I did try and download all the tracks in the beginning of the competition, but it gets very tedious downloading numerous tracklistings, especially when it's one song at a time. Even a zipped file takes a while, and I just don't have tons of free space on my other computer to do so

Maybe I should abstain from voting next round
So everyone is clear, you can do whatever you want inside the the rules. You can also define a Desert Island Playlist in any way you want. It does NOT have to be artistic. You're only limited by your imagination and definition of Desert Island Playlist.

I hope you keep voting, Lila. If you feel that you don't have enough space, I suggest voting based on your initial reaction like a movie reviewer. Then you can remove the playlist and retrieve what you want to keep a little later.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:49 PM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

I know you're not addressing me personally, but I just want to say that I know the playlists didn't HAVE to be "artistic" (still not the right word for what I'm thinking), and that's sort of my complaint. I just feel like I limited myself by the apparent definition of the rules. I made myself pretty much a list of songs that define who my favorite artists are, sacrificing anything like theme, consistancy, artistic expression, or flow (though I did my best to make the songs I chose flow). I just think maybe next time we should encourage everyone to try and make something really special with their lists, much like IMP or Axver or Liam did.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:58 PM   #88
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I know you're not addressing me personally, but I just want to say that I know the playlists didn't HAVE to be "artistic" (still not the right word for what I'm thinking), and that's sort of my complaint. I just feel like I limited myself by the apparent definition of the rules. I made myself pretty much a list of songs that define who my favorite artists are, sacrificing anything like theme, consistancy, artistic expression, or flow (though I did my best to make the songs I chose flow). I just think maybe next time we should encourage everyone to try and make something really special with their lists, much like IMP or Axver or Liam did.
Okay, now I understand what you mean. Perhaps you're right. We should both redefine the concept and encourage people to do something special. That might actually solve a couple problems such as interest, voting on what you know and overall help the voters.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:16 PM   #89
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:21 AM
I've voted in almost every round, but there's still a lot of stuff I don't know, probably mainly newer material. If I were on a desert island, I'd want some of my fave bands/fave tracks. That's why LMP and Lance's list appealed to me. And Axver did have bands I liked, like Crowded House, Midnight Oil, Split Enz, Marillion, and some others. I mean several people had songs by bands I knew of, maybe just not the particular song (ie: Vangelis & Yes from I believe phanan's list). Etc. And it's hard voting against someone who has one of my fave all time songs (Costello's Peace Love & Understanding). It was a week ago today that I saw it (again) live I could be deserted on that island with just Elvis songs and be
Old 05-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #90
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I just think maybe next time we should encourage everyone to try and make something really special with their lists, much like IMP or Axver or Liam did.
I think that's a great idea. That's all I ever tried to do with my lists anyway. I understand the concept of a desert island but I don't necessarily think it needs to be taken absolutely literally. In lieu of the best songs by the best artists, I wanted my lists to evoke a certain feeling, theme, or mood. This, of course, means that a lot of cornerstones of the music world will be omitted, and I think that's what cost me votes, especially in this second desert island game. If we took each playlist and listened to it for its merits, textures, themes, ambiance, flow, etc., I think the results of the voting would be very, very different. Anyone can make a best of compilation, and I feel like those are the playlists that are favored in this competition. It's much more difficult (and rewarding) to piece together tracks, themes, and textures that create a moving piece of music from 00:00:01 to 01:19:59. I think of my playlists as entire pieces of music with several different movements. With my last playlist, I deliberately tried to separate it into three distinct chapters. I'm still tremendously pleased with how it turned out.

Or maybe I'm just bitter because I got knocked out so early despite having a playlist I was quite proud of and acclaim from some very esteemed members of this internets community.

Tags
desert island