Desert Island Album Game II: Semi-final 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which tracklist do you prefer?

• LemonMacPhisto's tracklist

Votes: 22 59.5%
  • Lancemc's tracklist

Votes: 15 40.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
inmyplace13 said:

Anyone can make a best of compilation, and I feel like those are the playlists that are favored in this competition. It's much more difficult (and rewarding) to piece together tracks, themes, and textures that create a moving piece of music from 00:00:01 to 01:19:59. I think of my playlists as entire pieces of music with several different movements. With my last playlist, I deliberately tried to separate it into three distinct chapters. I'm still tremendously pleased with how it turned out.

Or maybe I'm just bitter because I got knocked out so early despite having a playlist I was quite proud of and acclaim from some very esteemed members of this internets community.

Well said. I'd really like to see the critic's corner and some of the awards make an appearance in the final to reward playlists like yours even if it is just people filling out something like this:

Top 5 playlists-
Most creative-
Most diverse-
Best songs-
Best mood-
Best flow-
Most unique-

Your playlist really was something special.

inmyplace13 said:

Or maybe I'm just bitter because I got knocked out so early despite having a playlist I was quite proud of and acclaim from some very esteemed members of this internets community.

You should be bitter. :wink: You had a fantastic list and got knocked out way too early.

Originally posted by Screwtape2
Well said. I'd really like to see the critic's corner and some of the awards make an appearance in the final to reward playlists like yours even if it is just people filling out something like this:

Top 5 playlists-
Most creative-
Most diverse-
Best songs-
Best mood-
Best flow-
Most unique-

Your playlist really was something special.

If you're going to do this, I encourage having multiple lists, because it's impossible to have a fair shake at all of those with just one list. I like the idea though.

Screwtape2 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by multiple lists.

Ah, yes, sorry. I glanced over this without reading it very closely:

Axver said:

Also, I was thinking of doing a round after the final putting the winners of each tournament up against each other ... maybe it'll just be "which LMP tracklist do you prefer?", heh!

Here's an idea if we want to do these post-tourney awards:

Each participant and vote could get three votes per category. You could assign different numerical values to your three votes.

Hypothetically, I'm voting for most creative here:

1. Lance
2. LemonMelon
3. Screwtape

Each person could submit something like that for each category, but you can't vote for yourself. Then each person/playlist gets a certain amount of points for the amount of 1, 2, or 3 votes they receive.

A vote for #1 gets you three points. Lance gets 3 points to his tally.
A vote for #2 gets you two points. LemonMelon gets two points.
A vote for #3 gets you one point. Screwtape... you get the idea.

Tally up how many points each playlist receives and there's your winner. Just like sports awards voting (for the most part).

inmyplace13 said:

Each participant and vote could get three votes per category. You could assign different numerical values to your three votes.

1. Lance
2. LemonMelon
3. Screwtape

Each person could submit something like that for each category, but you can't vote for yourself. Then each person/playlist gets a certain amount of points for the amount of 1, 2, or 3 votes they receive.

A vote for #1 gets you three points
A vote for #2 gets you two points
A vote for #3 gets you one point.

Tally up how many points each playlist receives and there's your winner. Just like sports awards voting (for the most part).

Yes, that is a very good idea. If we could do that, I reckon it would spice things up.

inmyplace13 said:

1. Lance
2. LemonMelon
3. Screwtape

A vote for #1 gets you three points. Lance gets 3 points to his tally.
A vote for #2 gets you two points. LemonMelon gets two points.
A vote for #3 gets you one point. Screwtape... you get the idea.

That sounds perfect.

Lance, by a nose.

I would be up for participating in another round of this. I missed the sign-ups this time around.

8 more votes to overthrow the lead! :hyper:

:(Ha, totally not going to happen. Oh well, It's a well-deserved win LMP.

Lots of good thoughts since I left last night, and I'm glad the critics' choice idea wasn't so stupid after all. Just one question: how will we determine who the critics are? Will they be contestants - perhaps all 24 - or will they be non-competing observers?

I won't reply to everything, but I would like to address this:

phanan said:
I just had an idea. I think most people would download the songs if they were readily available without having to go through email. Now I know we're not allowed to post links for officially released material, but what we could do is post a webpage that would have all the links there, if someone were able to host that. This way, people can go listen to whatever they want without having to request it via email, and at the same time, because the links wouldn't be directly posted here, Interference would not be held liable for anything.

That might get more people to listen.

I'm concerned that such an idea would still break the rules. In the first tournament, one member created a page that listed all of the downloads, but we still distributed the link to that site via e-mail. I'm just concerned that we would still have that link taken down.

Of course, we could do a live/demos desert island and then links would be permitted as they're not to officially released material. :wink:

You could always use a broken link, although that probably wouldn't get too far.

Or just say something like, "Please go to my LiveJournal page for more information" and then people would just happen to see it in your sig. :wink:

I just wish there was a legit way for people to hear the songs and experience the tracklists, rather than trying to find loopholes in the forum rules.

And let me just say that my Prog Island tracklist is really coming together nicely. 24 seconds short of a full four hours of music, with the Brau-heartattack-inducing figure of just 30 tracks. I've got everything from what I consider to be the first prog song ever made (King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man) to the very latest in prog brilliance (Porcupine Tree's Anesthetize). :drool:

Oh, and Screwtape, what's your e-mail address? I think I might actually have a couple for you, so I'm not sure what you use most.

Last edited:
Axver said:

And let me just say that my Prog Island tracklist is really coming together nicely. 24 seconds short of a full four hours of music, with the Brau-heartattack-inducing figure of just 30 tracks. I've got everything from what I consider to be the first prog song ever made (King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man) to the very latest in prog brilliance (Porcupine Tree's Anesthetize). :drool:

Oh, and Screwtape, what's your e-mail address? I think I might actually have a couple for you, so I'm not sure what you use most.

:hyper: I really like mine too and can't wait to see what everyone
else has done. By the way, who do we know for sure is participating?

My current e-mail address is InaKafkaTragedy@aol.com. My Yahoo account seems like it holds a 1/4 of the world's spam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom