Desert Island Album Game II: Semi-final 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which tracklist do you prefer?

• LemonMacPhisto's tracklist

Votes: 22 59.5%
  • Lancemc's tracklist

Votes: 15 40.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Screwtape2 said:

Earlier in the thread you said that Lancemc and LMP had very B&C-esque playlists. Maybe we could have a prog/more out there playlist group, B&C group, newbie group and a group for the rest. That would make it so that in semi-finals we would have a wide variety of options and that might keep people's interest. What do you think, Axver?

Only problem was, I was using "B&C-esque" in a manner of stereotyping the playlists as standard popular fare for the usual crowd on this forum. :wink:

But if people are cool with that, then I could go with such a categorisation. My only concern is that the prog/out-there group could be essentially the same as this time around.

Axver said:

Only problem was, I was using "B&C-esque" in a manner of stereotyping the playlists as standard popular fare for the usual crowd on this forum. :wink:

But if people are cool with that, then I could go with such a categorisation. My only concern is that the prog/out-there group could be essentially the same as this time around.

We could ditch the prog group but I definitely think that each group should be distinct and not "B&C-esque." In the semi-finals, there should be four very different sounding playlists.

There is one other thing that I want to throw out there. Perhaps we could add a visual element to the playlists. I'm thinking like an album cover. That would make each playlist unique and might make more people want to listen to the playlists. It would sort of be an extension of the paragraph. Great idea or terrible idea? :reject:

Screwtape2 said:

We could ditch the prog group but I definitely think that each group should be distinct and not "B&C-esque." In the semi-finals, there should be four very different sounding playlists.

There is one other thing that I want to throw out there. Perhaps we could add a visual element to the playlists. I'm thinking like an album cover. That would make each playlist unique and might make more people want to listen to the playlists. It would sort of be an extension of the paragraph. Great idea or terrible idea? :reject:

Could it be an optional supplementary type piece of material? Sort of like the option to describe your intentions in a paragraph. That would be fun and wouldn't entail any worry on the part of those not visually inclined.

Screwtape2 said:

I agree with this. Perhaps we need to simply wait and see what sort of entries we get before we go splitting it into groups.

I'd be cool with adding that as another one of those optional things people can include. My only concern is that it may be difficult, especially for those who know little to nothing about how to edit images. I know that if I did anything, it would be very basic. Fortunately, what I have in store for the third installment of the full game lends itself to easy pictures.

Also, is there a forum policy on You Tube links? I'm not familiar with it if there is one. I was thinking that people could perhaps link to live performances or officially sanctioned music videos on You Tube, as I know that sort of stuff is allowed to be shared here. That could make it easier to introduce people to songs they don't know.

Axver said:

I'd be cool with adding that as another one of those optional things people can include. My only concern is that it may be difficult, especially for those who know little to nothing about how to edit images. I know that if I did anything, it would be very basic. Fortunately, what I have in store for the third installment of the full game lends itself to easy pictures.

Also, is there a forum policy on You Tube links? I'm not familiar with it if there is one. I was thinking that people could perhaps link to live performances or officially sanctioned music videos on You Tube, as I know that sort of stuff is allowed to be shared here. That could make it easier to introduce people to songs they don't know.

All I was thinking of was something simple made in Paint. The color and feel of alone would make that entry unique. I think it should be an option. As for the YouTube links, I'm against them because it could take away from the concept of experiencing a playlist straight through.

Screwtape2 said:

All I was thinking of was something simple made in Paint. The color and feel of alone would make that entry unique. I think it should be an option.

Right, yeah, I'd agree with adding that.

As for the YouTube links, I'm against them because it could take away from the concept of experiencing a playlist straight through.

That's true, but let's be honest. How many people are actually experiencing the playlists in their entirety as it is? A pitiful amount of people requested the links. No-one has even asked for the link to my project since March, let alone actually downloaded anything. All my files have now expired and the competition is still active.

So I'd like to do something to allow people to actually hear at least SOME of the songs they don't know. I very much doubt You Tube links will cause anyone who's willing to fully experience the playlist to decide "no, I won't do that, I'll just watch a few videos", but it may allow some vote-for-what-they-know voters to know a little bit more before they vote.

Axver said:

Right, yeah, I'd agree with adding that.

That's true, but let's be honest. How many people are actually experiencing the playlists in their entirety as it is? A pitiful amount of people requested the links. No-one has even asked for the link to my project since March, let alone actually downloaded anything. All my files have now expired and the competition is still active.

So I'd like to do something to allow people to actually hear at least SOME of the songs they don't know. I very much doubt You Tube links will cause anyone who's willing to fully experience the playlist to decide "no, I won't do that, I'll just watch a few videos", but it may allow some vote-for-what-they-know voters to know a little bit more before they vote.

I guess you're right. Hopefully, with this next one in the summer people will be more active. :shrug:

Screwtape2 said:
I guess you're right. Hopefully, with this next one in the summer people will be more active. :shrug:

Yeah, I certainly hope that too. Especially because my entry for the third round will likely be more obscure than the one I entered this round, but I feel it is much more of a cohesive artistic statement, like your entry this tournament. I hate that tracklists that truly deserve to win fail to do so not because people genuinely prefer other tracklists, but because they just haven't bothered to listen to the material they don't know.

Maybe it's the length? Maybe if we take Liam's idea and go for 80 minute tracklists, that would not only challenge us more, but also mean people will be more willing to listen as it's less of an investment of time?

Axver said:

Yeah, I certainly hope that too. Especially because my entry for the third round will likely be more obscure than the one I entered this round, but I feel it is much more of a cohesive artistic statement, like your entry this tournament. I hate that tracklists that truly deserve to win fail to do so not because people genuinely prefer other tracklists, but because they just haven't bothered to listen to the material they don't know.

Maybe it's the length? Maybe if we take Liam's idea and go for 80 minute tracklists, that would not only challenge us more, but also mean people will be more willing to listen as it's less of an investment of time?

I look forward to your entry. Frankly, I would prefer people be more creative with their lists. To me the best playlists in the competition outside of my own were you, GG, Liamcool and IMP because they created a mood and feeling that were unlike anything else in the competition. I'd rather see someone attempt to create something unique instead of a selection of songs. It almost feels like that extra effort isn't look at enough in the voting but that's just my opinion. I guess we are the "independent films" of the competition. :shrug: I really hope the problem isn't the length because 240 minutes is perfect.

Screwtape2 said:
I look forward to your entry. Frankly, I would prefer people be more creative with their lists. To me the best playlists in the competition outside of my own were you, GG, Liamcool and IMP because they created a mood and feeling that were unlike anything else in the competition. I'd rather see someone attempt to create something unique instead of a selection of songs. It almost feels like that extra effort isn't look at enough in the voting but that's just my opinion. I guess we are the "independent films" of the competition. :shrug: I really hope the problem isn't the length because 240 minutes is perfect.

GG, IMP, and you really had some awesome stuff in terms of atmosphere going, and goodness, Liam got so unfairly trashed in the voting outcomes because I thought he showcased some really quality music from genres typically overlooked by B&C.

I suppose there ultimately isn't too much we can do to actually get people to experience the tracklists. That's the nature of anonymous online voting. Perhaps we should introduce some kind of "critics' choice" to the tournament? It would have no bearing on the overall result, but in the final thread, once the public have given their winner, we could have a small panel of people who have listened to everything submit some opinions. Maybe give awards for "best atmosphere", "most diverse tracklist", etc.? I'm not sure if that's a good idea or a really silly one.

And another one, one that I'm more confident in being a good idea, is that a poll of the contestants would be really interesting, to see which tracklist the 24 contestants think is the best - with the rule that you are not allowed to vote for yourself. What do you say to that?

phanan said:
My entry for the summer is going to blow away what I did this time around.

Considering how good your tracklist this tournament was, I'm really looking forward to your next submission. :up:

Axver said:

I suppose there ultimately isn't too much we can do to actually get people to experience the tracklists. That's the nature of anonymous online voting. Perhaps we should introduce some kind of "critics' choice" to the tournament? It would have no bearing on the overall result, but in the final thread, once the public have given their winner, we could have a small panel of people who have listened to everything submit some opinions. Maybe give awards for "best atmosphere", "most diverse tracklist", etc.? I'm not sure if that's a good idea or a really silly one.

And another one, one that I'm more confident in being a good idea, is that a poll of the contestants would be really interesting, to see which tracklist the 24 contestants think is the best - with the rule that you are not allowed to vote for yourself. What do you say to that?

I really like the "critic's choice" and award idea. I also like the idea of the vote for the best one. We should do those for this edition of the game. It would be a nice little gift for the 24 contestants especially for those that won't be around next time.

Screwtape2 said:

I'd rather see someone attempt to create something unique instead of a selection of songs. It almost feels like that extra effort isn't look at enough in the voting but that's just my opinion. \

Maybe it's just me, but I thought irishteen kinda got screwed because a lot of people didn't listen to his play list, and it was so good simply BECAUSE he took the time to make it flow so well...but that's just my $.02

I'd just like to throw something out there.

I understand the criticism of playlists like mine and LMP's for being "B&C-esque" or "ordinary" mine is. But you know what? This shouldn't have been called the "Desert Island Album Game" then. If I had set out to make the most "artistic" playlist, or just the most well-rounded or impressive list I could make, it would have looked a lot different.

I guess I'm just proposing a name change to the contest. I feel like some people are unfairly judging my list based on the "common-ness" of the artists or songs. Well, isn't that sort of the point of this? I want to be trapped on a desert island with songs that represent what I love most about my favorite artists right? And in that sense, if everyone actually made their playlists that way, what I consider the right way given the contest's name and intent, there would be no way to judge the lists anyway, since they'd be so personal.

So how about we just call the next competition a "Make the most kick-ass playlist you can" Game of something along those lines. Did that make any sense at all? I just woke up.

bono_212 said:

Maybe it's just me, but I thought irishteen kinda got screwed because a lot of people didn't listen to his play list, and it was so good simply BECAUSE he took the time to make it flow so well...but that's just my $.02

And sadly, we've seen that it doesn't really pay off in the long run; the majority of semifinal playlists are lacking in flow. :( People just tend to vote for what they're comfortable with. :shrug: I could have told you from the start that lancemc and LMP were going to get pretty far with their lists and that irishteen and liamcool were not. B&C is predictable. :p

I just had an idea. I think most people would download the songs if they were readily available without having to go through email. Now I know we're not allowed to post links for officially released material, but what we could do is post a webpage that would have all the links there, if someone were able to host that. This way, people can go listen to whatever they want without having to request it via email, and at the same time, because the links wouldn't be directly posted here, Interference would not be held liable for anything.

That might get more people to listen.

Lancemc said:
I'd just like to throw something out there.

I understand the criticism of playlists like mine and LMP's for being "B&C-esque" or "ordinary" mine is. But you know what? This shouldn't have been called the "Desert Island Album Game" then. If I had set out to make the most "artistic" playlist, or just the most well-rounded or impressive list I could make, it would have looked a lot different.

I guess I'm just proposing a name change to the contest. I feel like some people are unfairly judging my list based on the "common-ness" of the artists or songs. Well, isn't that sort of the point of this? I want to be trapped on a desert island with songs that represent what I love most about my favorite artists right? And in that sense, if everyone actually made their playlists that way, what I consider the right way given the contest's name and intent, there would be no way to judge the lists anyway, since they'd be so personal.

So how about we just call the next competition a "Make the most kick-ass playlist you can" Game of something along those lines. Did that make any sense at all? I just woke up.

Axver and I are not being critical of your playlist. In fact your playlist is my sixth favorite playlist in the competition and LMP isn't far behind. The way your playlist turned out is very B&C-esque but that's not a bad thing. If this were a prog site, Axver's and mine would be considered the same thing but that doesn't take anything away from the playlists. A playlist doesn't have to be artistic or anything Axver and I said, that is just what we prefer. If you haven't noticed our musical taste is pretty out there. :wink: We don't have any negative feelings about your playlist or LMP's playlist. I'm sorry if you or LMP got that impression.

I'm not saying that you had negative feelings, but I'm just saying that well yeah...it is a very common "B&C" playlist, but I didn't ever really mean it to be. I still think a name/decription change might not be the worst idea.

This doesn't do much good, but I ultimately decided not to vote on this one because I couldn't decide which tracklist I liked more. They're two of my favorite mixes from two of my favorite boarders, and the decision was just too damn difficult.

Great jeorb to both of you.

I think I'm somewhat indicative of the non-playing observant public.

I have made something of an effort to listen to the lists as they stand. I've recreated a few of my favorites out of music I have and have tried to look at flow.

Still I didnt go out of my way to get the obscure tracks, mostly because I am alittle hesitant in using the internet for mass music sharing.

If I hadn't heard 1/2 the tracks I just didnt vote.

However it strikes me I probably was not the best consumer or judge. The point of the game is to manipulate your music in to an artistic statement right? And to introduce that statement and new music to everyone else?

I think I would have been better able to serve the polls and would have befitted from the competition more if I had put effort and emailed for those links. I would have defiantly enjoyed it more.

I guess this is just a plea for the general non-playing public, like me, to get more involved before you make judgments.

inmyplace13 said:
This doesn't do much good, but I ultimately decided not to vote on this one because I couldn't decide which tracklist I liked more. They're two of my favorite mixes from two of my favorite boarders, and the decision was just too damn difficult.

Great jeorb to both of you.

Yours was my favorite in the whole competition. Therefor you should vote for me. :wink:

Well, that's electioneering if I've ever seen it. It worked, though. My vote is yours, sir.

cowbellwd4.jpg

"I trust I can rely on your vote."

I rather like the idea of having a "critic's choice" aspect to the competetion. It would definitely be a nice addition. And I think phanan's idea for track distribution is good. It wouldn't be difficult to organise, and I could most certainly host the page(s) on my website.

Oh, and I voted for LMP. Your tracklist is just so fun. It puts me into a good mood.

I was bored this afternoon, so I put together a tracklist that is purely atmospheric / prog / semi-prog (i.e. songs by bands that are not considered prog but show occasional prog tendencies.) I have to shuffle the whole thing around a few times, but I will absolutely not remove the last two songs. Oh goodness, it is perfect. :drool: They move so naturally into one another that I almost got teary-eyed when I listened to it the first time with a 6 second crossfade.

Lance - I understood your post. This is the "Desert Island Album Game", not the make an artistic statement. And I have no input for the next round or suggestions. I did try and download all the tracks in the beginning of the competition, but it gets very tedious downloading numerous tracklistings, especially when it's one song at a time. Even a zipped file takes a while, and I just don't have tons of free space on my other computer to do so :shrug: :reject: Though I did download most of Axver's. And if I knew the track or already had it, I didn't bother downloading again. And for songs I couldn't download, I did try and search them out on a retail site to hear portions of the song. Maybe I should abstain from voting next round :reject:

And Lance, it was a tough decision this round. Sorry bud :hug:

Lila64 said:
Lance - I understood your post. This is the "Desert Island Album Game", not the make an artistic statement. And I have no input for the next round or suggestions. I did try and download all the tracks in the beginning of the competition, but it gets very tedious downloading numerous tracklistings, especially when it's one song at a time. Even a zipped file takes a while, and I just don't have tons of free space on my other computer to do so

Maybe I should abstain from voting next round :reject:

So everyone is clear, you can do whatever you want inside the the rules. You can also define a Desert Island Playlist in any way you want. It does NOT have to be artistic. You're only limited by your imagination and definition of Desert Island Playlist.

I hope you keep voting, Lila. If you feel that you don't have enough space, I suggest voting based on your initial reaction like a movie reviewer. Then you can remove the playlist and retrieve what you want to keep a little later.

I know you're not addressing me personally, but I just want to say that I know the playlists didn't HAVE to be "artistic" (still not the right word for what I'm thinking), and that's sort of my complaint. I just feel like I limited myself by the apparent definition of the rules. I made myself pretty much a list of songs that define who my favorite artists are, sacrificing anything like theme, consistancy, artistic expression, or flow (though I did my best to make the songs I chose flow). I just think maybe next time we should encourage everyone to try and make something really special with their lists, much like IMP or Axver or Liam did.

Lancemc said:
I know you're not addressing me personally, but I just want to say that I know the playlists didn't HAVE to be "artistic" (still not the right word for what I'm thinking), and that's sort of my complaint. I just feel like I limited myself by the apparent definition of the rules. I made myself pretty much a list of songs that define who my favorite artists are, sacrificing anything like theme, consistancy, artistic expression, or flow (though I did my best to make the songs I chose flow). I just think maybe next time we should encourage everyone to try and make something really special with their lists, much like IMP or Axver or Liam did.

Okay, now I understand what you mean. Perhaps you're right. We should both redefine the concept and encourage people to do something special. :hmm: That might actually solve a couple problems such as interest, voting on what you know and overall help the voters.

I've voted in almost every round, but there's still a lot of stuff I don't know, probably mainly newer material. If I were on a desert island, I'd want some of my fave bands/fave tracks. That's why LMP and Lance's list appealed to me. And Axver did have bands I liked, like Crowded House, Midnight Oil, Split Enz, Marillion, and some others. I mean several people had songs by bands I knew of, maybe just not the particular song (ie: Vangelis & Yes from I believe phanan's list). Etc. And it's hard voting against someone who has one of my fave all time songs (Costello's Peace Love & Understanding). It was a week ago today that I saw it (again) live :drool: I could be deserted on that island with just Elvis songs and be :happy:

Lancemc said:
I just think maybe next time we should encourage everyone to try and make something really special with their lists, much like IMP or Axver or Liam did.

I think that's a great idea. That's all I ever tried to do with my lists anyway. I understand the concept of a desert island but I don't necessarily think it needs to be taken absolutely literally. In lieu of the best songs by the best artists, I wanted my lists to evoke a certain feeling, theme, or mood. This, of course, means that a lot of cornerstones of the music world will be omitted, and I think that's what cost me votes, especially in this second desert island game. If we took each playlist and listened to it for its merits, textures, themes, ambiance, flow, etc., I think the results of the voting would be very, very different. Anyone can make a best of compilation, and I feel like those are the playlists that are favored in this competition. It's much more difficult (and rewarding) to piece together tracks, themes, and textures that create a moving piece of music from 00:00:01 to 01:19:59. I think of my playlists as entire pieces of music with several different movements. With my last playlist, I deliberately tried to separate it into three distinct chapters. I'm still tremendously pleased with how it turned out.

Or maybe I'm just bitter because I got knocked out so early despite having a playlist I was quite proud of and acclaim from some very esteemed members of this internets community.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom