Desert Island Album Game II: Semi-final 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which tracklist do you prefer?

• LemonMacPhisto's tracklist

Votes: 22 59.5%
  • Lancemc's tracklist

Votes: 15 40.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, where does that leave people (referring to myself especially) who didn't get to the semi's and obviously aren't new to the game, but would like a chance to try again. Will they still be able to participate? Cause seriously this was one of the funnest things I've done on interference, even if my playlist did suck pretty hard this time...I was into some weird music when I made it, and I've kinda regretted that list ever since..

bono_212 said:
So, where does that leave people (referring to myself especially) who didn't get to the semi's and obviously aren't new to the game, but would like a chance to try again. Will they still be able to participate? Cause seriously this was one of the funnest things I've done on interference, even if my playlist did suck pretty hard this time...I was into some weird music when I made it, and I've kinda regretted that list ever since..

:lol: Your list wasn't too weird.

As for who gets in, it is really up to which people prefer: semifinalists get first dibs or first come, first serve. In the end it is what the people what.

bono_212 said:

Are you kidding? You'll get in, no sweat.

And so will I. :wink: Watch out. :D

Well, either method we choice, I'm in. I call dibs on one of the spots. :wink:

Oh yeah, keep voting for me you lousy wankers! :mad:

I keed, I keed. :wink:

LMP is my favorite remaining tracklist besides my own. IMP's was my favorite in the whole tourney, but alas, there are only 4 of us left.

Axver said:
Watch as it turns from fun to torture. I'm working on reducing mine down to the time limit now.

Let's see if we can give Brau a heart attack. :wink: Currently, I have 44 songs with a length of 5 hours 40 minutes.

Oh, and Screwtape: you are going to LOVE my opening trio. I've surprised even myself with how well this works.

Neat. I can't wait to hear it. I just finished my playlist with a time of 3 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds. :faint:

Lance's playlist is the best one in the entire tourney, I hope he wins. :up:

Well, I decided to go with LMP as I feel his list is a bit more diverse. I really feel both tracklists are very B&C-esque, to the point of almost being cliche. Whoever wins this will probably win the final.

LemonMelon said:
Take 4 groups of 4. :shrug: I agree with the the repechage system, and I think it's very useful, but I've never thought the tourney was too long-winded. Heck, it's almost over already. :( I can't see shortening it helping matters. I'm just another opinion in the crowd, but I must say that I prize thoroughness above all (though I suppose agreeing with the current 160 minute system would seem contrary to that).

Yeah, it seems to have come to a conclusion all of a sudden. It felt like the qualifying rounds, repechages, and heats dragged on for-bloody-ever, but now we've only got three rounds to go. I'd really like to get rid of some of that long-winded earlier process though. I fear some people have lost interest and I think this has been manifested in the fact that early on, people were downloading the tracklists and listening before they voted, while now, people seem to be more voting on what they know. I feel Screwtape's quarter final in particular was marred by that - or maybe that was the only time people were brave enough to admit it.

Screwtape2 said:
As for who gets in, it is really up to which people prefer: semifinalists get first dibs or first come, first serve. In the end it is what the people what.

My inclination is to have first come, first served, but in case of a lot of applicants, we might have to dismiss some past contestants in favour of some new entrants. Perhaps enforce a quota of a certain amount of newbies/people who haven't yet progressed far.

Oh, and with regards to my prog tracklisting, I've managed to get it down to 4 hours, 9 minutes, 2 seconds, with 31 songs! It looks like once I'm done, I'll have 25% less songs than I had in this current tournament, despite 80 minutes more runtime!

Axver said:

I fear some people have lost interest and I think this has been manifested in the fact that early on, people were downloading the tracklists and listening before they voted, while now, people seem to be more voting on what they know. I feel Screwtape's quarter final in particular was marred by that - or maybe that was the only time people were brave enough to admit it.

My inclination is to have first come, first served, but in case of a lot of applicants, we might have to dismiss some past contestants in favour of some new entrants. Perhaps enforce a quota of a certain amount of newbies/people who haven't yet progressed far.

I first noticed the interest drop in Lara Mullen's qualifying round in which only like 18 people voted and there were only a couple replies. Hopefully, next time the interest will be be even throughout. As for the quota of newbies, I think 2 or 3 spots should be reserved to them.

I wouldn't mind joining next time but I'd like a couple of days (preferably a weekend) to make up my list. :slant:

Yeah, there should be another one set up NCAA Tourney-style. Maybe 2 different brackets and two contests can be run simultaneously (one from each side) but the voting is kept up longer (2-3 days).

Also, if you've participated in BOTH tourneys, you can use songs from your FIRST entry, but not the SECOND Entry. I think that's pretty fair.

LemonMelon said:
At this rate, LMP is going to win it all. :tsk:

:wink:

Screwtape2 said:
I first noticed the interest drop in Lara Mullen's qualifying round in which only like 18 people voted and there were only a couple replies. Hopefully, next time the interest will be be even throughout. As for the quota of newbies, I think 2 or 3 spots should be reserved to them.

Yeah, there were a few rounds with really appalling turnout, but it seems we've managed to get back to an average of about 30 votes. I'm really perplexed by my quarter final - I think that had the highest turnout of any round of the competition with 39 votes. It'll be interesting to see if this semi-final achieves a similar turnout, though it doesn't look like it at this stage as most voting tends to come on the first day.

I'm thinking that if we have 4 groups of 4, perhaps one should be a "newbie group"?

Screwtape2 said:

After you get a spot you have two to three weeks to submit and upload your playlist. That's what I mean by a couple weeks.

Oh, OK. Thank you. :yes:

LemonMelon said:
At this rate, LMP is going to win it all. :tsk:

On some forums I visit, there's a rule that the winner of one edition of a tournament cannot compete in the next edition. If LMP does take out this one, I'm wondering if he'd be willing to miss the third edition? :wink:

Also, I was thinking of doing a round after the final putting the winners of each tournament up against each other ... maybe it'll just be "which LMP tracklist do you prefer?", heh!

I'm thoroughly getting pwnt now. I'd like to see 10 more votes come in though, it really does suck that voter turnout had slowed down so much recently.

Axver said:

Yeah, there were a few rounds with really appalling turnout, but it seems we've managed to get back to an average of about 30 votes. I'm really perplexed by my quarter final - I think that had the highest turnout of any round of the competition with 39 votes. It'll be interesting to see if this semi-final achieves a similar turnout, though it doesn't look like it at this stage as most voting tends to come on the first day.

I'm thinking that if we have 4 groups of 4, perhaps one should be a "newbie group"?

The newbie group could be a good idea. I was stunned by how your quarterfinal kept getting more and more votes. You're sort of the game's Cinderella. :wink:

LemonMelon said:

Oh, you can be smug for now, but just wait until you see what I have up my sleeve. :wink:

I bet it's better than the one I have up now. There have been at least 5-6 tracklistings better than mine in the tourney, Lance's, IMP's, Gibby's, Phanan's, and another one, I forget which.

Anyway, it's cool that I'm winning right now, but I feel they are and were more deserving.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I bet it's better than the one I have up now. There have been at least 5-6 tracklistings better than mine in the tourney, Lance's, IMP's, Gibby's, Phanan's, and another one, I forget which.

Anyway, it's cool that I'm winning right now, but I feel they are and were more deserving.

I would put yours up in the top 4, easy.

Gibby
LMP
Bono's shades
Lance

I'll give you all a hint as to what mine looks like:

Watch the now playing thread...I'll be uploading my list tonight to my computer (I want to have it on CD). :whistle:

Screwtape2 said:
The newbie group could be a good idea. I was stunned by how your quarterfinal kept getting more and more votes. You're sort of the game's Cinderella. :wink:

My only concern with a newbie group is that we could end up with four very distinct, incompatible tracklistings and things will end up rather uneven. But if it's feasible, I'd like to do a newbie group.

And heh, the steady flow of votes on my quarter final over the second day did nothing good for my nerves, I can assure you. :wink:

I skipped reading all four pages :yawn: :wink: I got thru page one and gave up after that. But I just submit: Lamb Lies Down On Broadyway. I win :happy: :hi5:

Wonder if hubby would do a prog list..:hmm: But I don't know what your rules are. Lots of 70s stuff would probably be included.

Oh, and LMP got my vote :up: Tough round.

I'm working on mine and practicing my copy-paste-post skills to get one of the spots, newbie or not, to show it off.

Axver said:

My only concern with a newbie group is that we could end up with four very distinct, incompatible tracklistings and things will end up rather uneven. But if it's feasible, I'd like to do a newbie group.

Earlier in the thread you said that Lancemc and LMP had very B&C-esque playlists. Maybe we could have a prog/more out there playlist group, B&C group, newbie group and a group for the rest. That would make it so that in semi-finals we would have a wide variety of options and that might keep people's interest. What do you think, Axver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom