Desert Island Album Game II: Semi-final 1 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Which tracklist do you prefer?
LemonMacPhisto's tracklist 22 59.46%
Lancemc's tracklist 15 40.54%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2007, 10:00 AM   #16
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:33 PM
Oh yeah, and I suppose those of us who'll do prog tracklists should keep in mind the 101 rules of prog metal!

Especially the following:

1. Insist that your definition of prog metal is sacred and that the only progressive bands are the one you deem to be so.
2. Accuse anyone who disagrees with you regarding rule 1 of lacking musical intelligence and not being a true prog fan.
18. A song under four minutes is NOT prog. If you are stuck with a song under four minutes, insert a phrygian solo trade-off between the guitarist and keyboardist as long as needed.
27. Riffs in 4/4 are not progressive. If you happen to come up with a cool riff in 4/4, alternate between 4/4 and progressive time signatures like 7/8 every other measure to ensure the musical complexity synonymous with prog metal.
56. The best songs are those that are over 15 minutes, have multiple named sections, and have solos by everyone in the band INCLUDING the drummer.
77. Remember, faster=more progressive. Slow songs cannot be progressive, best example would be Pink Floyd.
81. Write epics.
82. In case you didn't know, epics must be about adolescency, concerning a legend, or a deep dystopian tale where a cheesy fictional city/world/pizza shop serves as a metaphor for this world.
96. In case you wondered, Dream Theater is and will always be the benchmark for prog metal. The more something sounds like Images and Words, the more progressive it is.
97. Proclaim Rule 96 to people with a straight face in all seriousness. This is not optional.

Holy shit, this stuff is amazing.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-08-2007, 10:01 AM   #17
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

Brau is going to pass out when he sees this.

The best part? I omitted some of the longest stuff because I knew I'd need the time (e.g. my Dream Theater song is 13 minutes long rather than 23 or 42).

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-08-2007, 10:03 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
This one's a tough call. Neither tracklist really makes me leap with excitement, but I'm leaning towards LMP. For the moment, I'll hold back and consider my vote further.

However, what I would like to discuss now are possibilities for the next tournament. Here are some discussion points:

1. Tracklist length. Keep it at 160 minutes (2 hours 40 minutes, 2 CDs) or extend it to 240 minutes (4 hours, 3 CDs)? I personally favour an extension.

2. The reduction of contestants from 24 to 12, or at most, 16. Preferential entry to those who haven't competed? To past semi-finalists? First come, first served?

Or at my discretion?
Introducing: Axver's Desert Island Prog Album Game!

3. A new format to quicken the tournament. As long as I am running the show, everyone will get to compete in two rounds. We could stick with the current system featuring a repechage, or we could switch to a grouping format like the World Cup where contestants play all other members of their group once and the two overall highest scorers progress to the quarter finals. I personally would like to try some form of the latter.

4. Whether the "no repeated songs" rule will be waived for those who have competed in both tournaments. Should it be waived at all? If so, maybe only limit it to, say, five repeated songs, or only repeat songs from the first tournament? My preference is to keep this rule, simply because it will make it easier to thin down potential entrants to 12.
I favor the reduction of contestants, but I'm not sold on extending the tracklist length. I think 160 minutes is a good snapshot.

I also find the World Cup format idea intriguing and think it would go quicker that way.

I would also keep the "no repeated songs" rule, as I think it creates more diversity in track listings.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:07 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
So true.

35. Don't worry about if your band name makes any sense or not. Since 90% of your fanbase is from Brazil and Japan, you can safely ignore conventional English grammar and instead focus on what´s really important: The lyrics (see rule 36).

40. Release a live-album called "Live in Tokyo".
Old 05-08-2007, 10:07 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I completely agree. I'm concerned that following this game with the third installment straight away would be overkill, so a Prog Album mini-tournament could be quite a good idea.

Also, we could probably rope in some other people. My guess is that both phanan and AcrobatMan would be able to compile something too.
Oh, I could do this....

And if you did a prog tournament, than 240 minutes works!
Old 05-08-2007, 10:17 AM   #21
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

I favor the reduction of contestants, but I'm not sold on extending the tracklist length. I think 160 minutes is a good snapshot.

I also find the World Cup format idea intriguing and think it would go quicker that way.

I would also keep the "no repeated songs" rule, as I think it creates more diversity in track listings.
I was talking to Liam off Interference earlier this evening and he actually suggested that we do the opposite of an extension: reduce the limit to just 80 minutes. That would make it a really bloody tough challenge, but his opinion was that it would compress the goodness and could foster some even better tracklists.

I agree on the "no repeats" stance.

And I'm glad you're in! The 240 minute limit for the prog mini-tournament is already proving to be hell for me. I'm at the letter S right now and have 47 songs with a total runtime of just over 5.5 hours. How the hell am I going to cut out 1.5 hours?!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-08-2007, 10:20 AM   #22
Vocal parasite

Oh hell, now I'm really screwed. No prog tracklist is complete without Jesus's favourite song, Stranger In Your Soul by Transatlantic. Only problem is, it clocks in at 26:06.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-08-2007, 10:43 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

I'm going to have fun with this when I get home. I'm already putting a list together in my mind...
Old 05-08-2007, 10:52 AM   #24
Vocal parasite

Watch as it turns from fun to torture. I'm working on reducing mine down to the time limit now.

Let's see if we can give Brau a heart attack. Currently, I have 44 songs with a length of 5 hours 40 minutes.

Oh, and Screwtape: you are going to LOVE my opening trio. I've surprised even myself with how well this works.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-08-2007, 11:14 AM   #25
The Male

Local Time: 11:33 PM
I am perfectly happy with the current 160 minute length. It's very simple and is indeed a good snapshot. Also, why would you want to use a 12 contestant format when a much, much easier 16 format is also a possibility? Personally, I think your system now is way too complicated. Seriously, any imbecile could put together a functioning 16 contestant bracket.

Now.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:24 AM   #26
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
Also, why would you want to use a 12 contestant format when a much, much easier 16 format is also a possibility? Personally, I think your system now is way too complicated. Seriously, any imbecile could put together a functioning 16 contestant bracket.
Go yourself. The original tournament had 16 contestants and proceeded 16 --> 8 --> 4 --> 2. Only two problems with that. The first was demand, which was addressed with the expansion of this edition of the tournament to 24 contestants, but as we've seen, that has made it too long-winded.

The second was that after putting lots of time and effort into tracklists, people were getting kicked out in difficult match-ups right at the start, so we introduced the repechage format. I think this tournament has demonstrated just how useful it is in avoiding the elimination of finalists. The new group system with either 12 (4 groups of 3) or 16 (4 groups of 4) contestants will hopefully address that even further. Tracklists have a better chance of being competitive and the strongest go through - not just those with lucky draws or lucky wins.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-08-2007, 11:32 AM   #27
The Male

Local Time: 11:33 PM
Quote:

Go yourself. The original tournament had 16 contestants and proceeded 16 --> 8 --> 4 --> 2. Only two problems with that. The first was demand, which was addressed with the expansion of this edition of the tournament to 24 contestants, but as we've seen, that has made it too long-winded.

The second was that after putting lots of time and effort into tracklists, people were getting kicked out in difficult match-ups right at the start, so we introduced the repechage format. I think this tournament has demonstrated just how useful it is in avoiding the elimination of finalists. The new group system with either 12 (4 groups of 3) or 16 (4 groups of 4) contestants will hopefully address that even further. Tracklists have a better chance of being competitive and the strongest go through - not just those with lucky draws or lucky wins.
Take 4 groups of 4. I agree with the the repechage system, and I think it's very useful, but I've never thought the tourney was too long-winded. Heck, it's almost over already. I can't see shortening it helping matters. I'm just another opinion in the crowd, but I must say that I prize thoroughness above all (though I suppose agreeing with the current 160 minute system would seem contrary to that).
Old 05-08-2007, 11:33 AM   #28
Refugee

Local Time: 12:33 PM
LanceMC.

Both playlists have tons of songs that I like, but Journey and Michael Jackson turned me off to LemonMacPhisto's playlist.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:50 PM   #29
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:33 AM
Will there still be a regular one? I was looking forward to participating. Although if it got extended I'd have to really rethink my track list. Plus it would be hell to upload.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:02 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally posted by Tarvark
Will there still be a regular one? I was looking forward to participating. Although if it got extended I'd have to really rethink my track list. Plus it would be hell to upload.
There will still be a regular one. Axver is going to put some space between the end of this one and the start of the next regular one. The prog game is small version during the wait.

Tags
desert island