Desert Island Album Game II: Heat 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which tracklist do you prefer?

• Lancemc's tracklist

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • bono_man2002's tracklist

Votes: 14 45.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the third heat of the Interference Desert Island Game II! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

Despite expectations that the second heat would be close, LemonMacPhisto defeated inmyplace13 by a ratio of 2:1, or 20 votes to 10. LMP now advances to a quarter final against GibsonGirl.

In this heat, Lancemc and bono_man2002 are competing for the first spot in the second quarter final. Below, you will find their tracklistings. If you are unfamiliar with the songs included, we can help you hear them! Just leave your e-mail address. :)

THE TRACKLISTINGS!

Forum name: Lancemc

Lancemc wrote: My playlist was originally envisioned as a showcase for the beauty of music. It included the entirety of Beethoven's 5th Symphony spread out throughout the playlist. It opened with Beck's Sexx Laws, and followed with the first two movements. It was funny. The third movement divided the playlist in half, and the final movement closed the playlist, with R.E.M.'s "Find the River" as a sort of Coda at the very end. I thought it was beautiful, and probably a more cohesive playlist than what I'm currently offering. It worked well as a solid unit. But the problem was that I could only fit in like 25 other songs. I needed more. That and the fact that a lot of people probably wouldn't appreciate 50 minutes of classical music, and that would probably hurt my chances in the competition. So I scratched the idea, and started anew. This time I just tried to fit in as many songs I could from my favorite artists. The songs I selected aren't necessarily my favorite song from each individual artist, but I feel they represent everything I love about each artist as a whole (also keeping in mind the time constraints, which limited my choices a bit). Then I did my best to make a listenable 160 minute playlist out of all this junk. Not a whole lot changed as far order goes once I had my artists in line. Specific songs continued to switch in and out during the whole process though. And a few quick deadline decisions were made just hours before I finalized the playlist (including swapping R.E.M's "I Believe" for "Electrolite", Bob Dylan's "Simple Twist of Fate" for "Shelter From the Storm", Pink Floyd's "Sheep" for "Time", and the very late addition of a Wilco track). Overall, I think this current incarnation is the best my playlist has ever sounded, though I could probably continue to tweak it forever. Why is my playlist the best? Well, I tried to keep it accessible, with some of the most beautiful song's I've ever known. I let a few odd balls in, like the Sugarcubes and Brian Eno tracks, but they're good for depth. And I couldn't possibly think of a better way to end such an epic musical journey than with The Boss's most beautiful song, "New York City Serenade". So sit back, relax, enjoy the rockers when they come, and enjoy my music.

1. Beck - "The Golden Age" - Sea Change (4:38)
2. The Who - "5:15" - Quadrophenia (4:59)
3. Led Zeppelin - "When The Levee Breaks" - IV (7:07)
4. Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Get on Top" - Californication (3:18)
5. Rilo Kiley - "I Never" - More Adventurous (4:33)
6. George Harrison - "Wah-Wah" - All Things Must Pass (5:39)
7. Bob Dylan - "Shelter From the Storm" - Blood on the Tracks (5:02)
8. Daniel Lanois - "The Maker" - Arcadie (4:13)
9. Elvis Costello - "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding" - Armed Forces (3:46)
10. The Decemberists - "July, July!" - Castaways and Cutouts (2:53)
11. The Pixies - "Debaser" - Doolittle (2:52)
12. David Bowie - "Teenage Wildlife" - Scary Monsters (6:56)
13. Radiohead - "No Surprises" - OK Computer (3:48)
14. Modest Mouse - "Gravity Ride Everything" - The Moon and Antarctica (4:19)
15. The Beatles - "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)" - Rubber Soul (2:05)
16. The Flaming Lips - "Do You Realize?" - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (3:32)
17. Brian Eno - "Everything Merges With The Night" - Another Green World (3:59)
18. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - "Nature Boy" - Abattoir Blues (4:54)
19. Talking Heads - "Life During Wartime" - Fear of Music (3:41)
20. The Rolling Stones - "Sympathy for the Devil" - Beggar's Banquet (6:18)
21. Bjork - "Human Behavior" - Debut (4:12)
22. The Arcade Fire - "Headlights Look Like Diamonds" - Us Kids Know (EP) (4:25)
23. Bright Eyes - "At The Bottom Of Everything" - I'm Wide Awake It's Morning (4:34)
24. Interpol - "Say Hello to the Angels" - Turn On The Bright Lights (4:28)
25. Wilco - "Jesus, Etc." - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (3:51)
26. The White Stripes - "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself" - Elephant (2:48)
27. PJ Harvey - "Angelene" - Is This Desire? (3:34)
28. Coldplay - "Shiver" - Parachutes (4:59)
29. Sugarcubes - "Birthday" - The Great Crossover Potential (4:00)
30. R.E.M. - "Electrolite" - New Adventures in Hi-Fi (4:05)
31. Sufjan Stevens - "Casimir Pulaski Day" - Illinoise (5:54)
32. Pink Floyd - "Time" - Dark Side of the Moon (7:06)
33. U2 - "Bad" - Live From the Point Depot (7:31)
34. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - "New York City Serenade" - The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle (9:55)

Total Runtime: 2:39:54

Forum name: bono_man2002

SIDE A:

1.The White Stripes - Dead Leaves & The Dirty Ground - White Blood Cells (3:04)
2.Crowded House - Chocolate Cake - Woodface (4:02)
3.PJ Harvey - Oh My Lover - Dry (4:02)
4.Pearl Jam - Even Flow - Rearview Mirror (Best Of CD) (5:03)
5.Metric - Patriach On A Vespa - Live It OUt (4:32)
6.Eskimo Joe - New York - Blackfingernails Red Wine (3:52)
7.Elvis Costello - No Action - This Years Model (1:59)
8.David Gilmour - Love On The Air - About Face (4:17)
9.The Arcade Fire - Rebelion (Lies) - Funeral (5:10)
10.Sarah Blasko - Always On This Line - What The Sea Wants, The Sea Will Have (4:11)
11.The Rolling Stones - The Last Time - Forty Licks (3:42)
12.INXS - Elegantly Wasted - The Years '79-97 (4:34)
13.Green Day - Castaway - Warning (3:50)
14.The Clash - Garageland - The Clash (3:12)
15.R.E.M - Man On The Moon - Best Of REM (5:14)
16.The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Solider - Broken Boy Soliders (3:02)
17.Robbie Williams - A Place To Crash - Intensive Care (4:34)
18.Queen - Tie Your Mother Down - A Day AT The Races (4:48)
19.Wolfmother - Where Eagles Have Been - Wolfmother (5:32)

Total Time : 78:40

SIDE B:

1.Muse - Knights Of Cydonia - Black Holes And Revelations (6:06)
2.Little Birdy - Come On Come Come On - Hollywood (3:52)
3.Joy Divison - She's Lost Control - Substance (4:54)
4.Franz Ferdinand - I'm Your Villain - You Could Have Had It So Much Better (4:03)
5.Evanescence - Snow White Queen - The Open DOor (4:52)
6.Garbage - Bleed Like Me - Bleed Like Me (4:01)
7.Lou Reed - Vicious - Transformer (3:00)
8.Pink Floyd - WiSh You Were Here - Wish You Were Here (5:40)
9.Dream Theater - Another Day - Images And Words (4:32)
10.The Killers - This River Is Wild - Sam's Town (4:38)
11.U2 - Bad - The Unforgetable Fire (6:09)
12.The Living End - Nothing Lasts Forever - State Of Emergency (4:52)
13.Porcupine Tree - Collapse The Light Into Earth - In Absentia (5:52)
14.Roger Waters - 5:11AM (The Moment Of Clarity) - Pros & Con's Of Hitch Hiking (1:28)
15.Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees - The Bends (4:50)

Total Time: 68:10

UP NEXT: Bono's shades vs phanan

Competition master list.

Competition rules.

Slightly outdated diagram of competition format.

Have fun!

There's some serious crap on Daniel's list, but there are also some seriously awesome picks that really set his tracklist apart from Lance's. Pink Floyd? Dream Theater? Porcupine Tree? Joy Division? Crowded House? And excellent picks in all five cases? I can go for that.

Lance's list is alright, but very little stands out as great to me. I would have preferred it if he had stuck with his original tracklisting; that would have made this round a tough choice, but I probably still would have voted for Daniel as his list has some of my favourite bands and songs even if it is blighted by such inclusions as Green Day, The White Stripes, and The Killers.

Yeah, if we were just starting this competition again today, my list would looks almost completely 100% different, and better in every way. I almost am beginning to hate my current list because of the changes I would make now.

That said, it's still pretty nice, and I voted for myself this round. :wink:

Axver said:
even if it is blighted by such inclusions as Green Day, The White Stripes, and The Killers.

If you had included Sarah Blasko in that list, you may have lost that Pack of Tim Tam's I Owe you :wink:

bono_man2002 said:
If you had included Sarah Blasko in that list, you may have lost that Pack of Tim Tam's I Owe you :wink:

No worries there, I'm not familiar with Sarah Blasko's material.

Now, when will you next be in Melbourne? I'm hungry. :wink:

30. R.E.M. - "Electrolite" - New Adventures in Hi-Fi (4:05)
31. Sufjan Stevens - "Casimir Pulaski Day" - Illinoise (5:54)
32. Pink Floyd - "Time" - Dark Side of the Moon (7:06)
33. U2 - "Bad" - Live From the Point Depot (7:31)

:drool:

Both of these are very good mixes, but Lance won me over with that, plus his choices of Dylan and Wilco.

Both lists are good, but Lance's list borders with flawless as far as I'm concerned, so my vote's got to go to him.

Ah, the first close match of the round :drool:

Lance's is my favorite in the whole tourney :up:

Axver said:
Lance's list is alright, but very little stands out as great to me. I would have preferred it if he had stuck with his original tracklisting; that would have made this round a tough choice, but I probably still would have voted for Daniel as his list has some of my favourite bands and songs even if it is blighted by such inclusions as Green Day, The White Stripes, and The Killers.

Axver, you have no faith in medicine.

I picked Lance. Both lists are excellent and had about the same amount of songs that I really like.

But Lance's list got the edge with New York City Serenade at the end. You just can't beat that.

Lance's is one of my favourites of this game. :drool:

That being said, bono_man2002's side B is also great. :up:

Ah, cheers for that. :)

New round coming up very soon.

I'm disappointed Daniel didn't make it through. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom