Desert Island Album Game II: GRAND FINAL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which tracklist do you prefer?

• LemonMacPhisto's tracklist

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • U2VertigoFly's tracklist

Votes: 19 33.9%
  • Axver's tracklist

Votes: 17 30.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

If you are not familiar with the songs, leave your e-mail address and we will help you hear the songs so that you can vote for the tracklist as a whole!

It's been a long journey, and now we're finally at the end. Welcome to the GRAND FINAL of the Interference Desert Island Game II! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

The extremely close second semi-final ended in a tied result, with U2VertigoFly and Axver level on 17-17. After some discussion and consideration of past experience, we have chosen that the simplest, quickest, and fairest way to resolve the tie is for both semi-finalists to advance to the grand final, resulting in a three-way contest. I'm sure some of you will have favoured a different option, but we could have debated what to do forever and my preference is to simply get on with the tournament as it has had enough delays.

Before beginning this final round, I would like to extend commiserations to Lancemc, who was meant to progress to a third place play-off against the loser of the second semi-final. Obviously, no such loser exists and this final will resolve who comes first, second, and third. Lance thus finishes fourth. Nice going in the competition, Lance, and I'm sorry your tracklist didn't get one last outing.

And now here we are at the final. Our contestants are LemonMacPhisto, U2VertigoFly, and Axver. Who's the best of the best? That's for you to decide. Below, you will find the contestants' tracklistings. If you are unfamiliar with the songs included, we can help you hear them! Just leave your e-mail address.

THE TRACKLISTINGS!

Forum name: LemonMacPhisto

1. U2 – “Where the Streets Have No Name” – The Joshua Tree (5:40)
2. Bruce Springsteen – “Born to Run” – Born to Run (4:22)
3. The Strokes – “Juicebox” – First Impressions of Earth (3:15)
4. The White Stripes – “Girl, You Have No Faith in Medicine” – Elephant (3:17)
5. The Rolling Stones – “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” – Out of Our Heads (3:48)
6. The Police – “Roxanne” – Outlandos d’Amour (3:14)
7. Feist – “Mushaboom” – Let It Die (3:44)
8. Marvin Gaye – “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” - I Heard It Through the Grapevine (3:16)
9. Ray Charles – “You Don’t Know Me” – Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music (3:14)
10. Pearl Jam – “Better Man” – Vitalogy (4:28)
11. The Who – “Substitute” – Substitute [Single] (3:47)
12. Paul Simon – “Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard” – Paul Simon (2:43)
13. Electric Light Orchestra – “Don’t Bring Me Down” – Discovery (4:04)
14. The Flaming Lips – “It Overtakes Me / The Stars Are So Big, I Am So Small... Do I Stand a Chance?” – At War With the Mystics (6:15)
15. Bob Dylan – “Blowin’ in the Wind” – Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan (2:44)
16. Lou Reed – “Walk on the Wild Side” – Transformer (4:07)
17. R.E.M. – “Find the River” – Automatic for the People (3:49)
18. DeVotchKa – “How It Ends” – How It Ends (6:59)
19. The Beatles – “Tomorrow Never Knows” – Revolver (2:58)
20. The Jimi Hendrix Experience – “Foxey Lady” – Are You Experienced? (3:19)
21. David Bowie – “Queen Bitch” – Hunky Dory (3:19)
22. The Clash – “Should I Stay or Should I Go?” – Combat Rock (3:06)
23. The New Radicals – “You Get What You Give” – Maybe You’ve Been Brainwashed Too (5:02)
24. The Arcade Fire – “Rebellion (Lies) – Funeral (5:10)
25. Journey – “Faithfully” – Frontiers (4:26)
26. Pink Floyd – “Comfortably Numb” – The Wall (6:24)
27. The Smashing Pumpkins – “Mayonaise”
28. Sonic Youth – “Teen Age Riot” – Daydream Nation (6:55)
29. Prince – “U Got the Look (ft. Sheena Easton” – Sign o’ the Times (3:45)
30. Michael Jackson – “Beat It” – Thriller (4:17)
31. The Beastie Boys – “(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (To Party)” – License to Ill (3:27)
32. Red Hot Chili Peppers – “Otherside” – Californication (4:15)
33. Oasis – “Live Forever” – Definitely Maybe (4:38)
34. Queen – “Somebody to Love” – A Day at the Races (4:52)
35. The Shins – “New Slang” – Oh, Inverted World (3:50)
36. Radiohead – “Fake Plastic Trees” – The Bends (4:50)
37. Muse – “Knights of Cydonia” – Black Holes and Revelations (6:01)

Forum name: U2VertigoFly

U2VF writes: In my playlist I tried to reach to the furthest extents of interference. I wanted to make a playlist that would be generally consisted of well know artists and songs, but sometimes I chose a song that’s not necessarily the artists best or most famous but still well known, this way most people would recognize it but they may not be tired of it be fore they heard it. I kind of got into the theme of Desert Island taking it as not only you’re on and island and that’s the music you had with you, but I tried to convey what you would want to hear based on your feelings if say, your plane crashed on an island. It starts off pretty hard with AC/DC, then it moves on into more 80’s and classic rock that you can work to. Then it goes into some music for desert island ambiance like The Beach Boys and Jimmy Buffett. Then it picks up a little bit with the alternative and a little punk stuff, form there it slows down into more chilled songs Piano Man, Tiny Dancer, and gradually builds to the violins of Eleanor Rigby and finally leaves us off with the band that brought us all to interference, with at beautiful live rendition of Bad. So I hope you all enjoy my playlist.

01. AC/DC - "The Razor’s Edge" – The Razor’s Edge (4:22)
02. Robert Plant & The Strange Sensations - "Mighty Rearranger" – Mighty Rearranger (4:25)
03. The Who - "Baba O’Riley" – Who’s Next (5:08)
04. David Bowie - "Rebel Rebel" – Best of Bowie (4:31)
05. Survivor - "Burning Heart" – Rocky IV (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (3:50)
06. Queen - "Radio Ga Ga" - For Classic Queen (5:49)
07. Bruce Springsteen - "Born In The U.S.A." – Born In The U.S.A. (4:39)
08. Bon Jovi - "Livin’ On A Prayer" – Slippery When Wet (4:09)
09. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - "Saving Grace" – Highway Companion (3:45)
10. John Mellencamp - "Rain On The Scarecrow" - Scarecrow (3:48)
11. Cream - "Sunshine Of Your Love" – The Cream Of Clapton (4:11)
12. The Police - "Message In A Bottle" – The Police: Every Breath You Take– The Classics (4:51)
13. Yes - "Roundabout" – The Ultimate Yes – 35th Anniversary Collection (8:32)
14. The Rolling Stones - "Start Me Up" – Jump Back: The Best Of The Rolling Stones (3:34)
15. Chuck Berry - "Johnny B. Goode" – The Anthology (2:44)
16. The Beach Boys - "Good Vibrations" – The Greatest Hits Vol. 1 (3:37)
17. Jimmy Buffett - "Changes Of Latitudes, Changes Of Attitudes" – Meet Me In Margaritaville: The Ultimate Collection (3:17)
18. The Knack - "My Sharona" – My Sharona / Good Girls Don’t - Single (4:56)
19. Arcade Fire - "Rebellion(Lies)" – Funeral (5:10)
20. R.E.M. - "What’s The Frequency, Kenneth" – In Time – The Best of R.E.M. 1988-2003 (4:00)
21. The Clash - "Rock The Casbah" – The Clash: The Singles (3:43)
22. Caesars - "Jerk It Out" – 39 Minuets Of Bliss (In An Otherwise Meaningless World (3:18)
23. Arctic Monkeys - "Fake Tales Of San Francisco" – Five Minuets With The Arctic Monkeys - Single (3:00)
24. The Shins - "Phantom Limb – Wincing The Night Away (4:47)
25. Oasis - "Wonderwall” – (What’s The Story) Morning Glory? (4:18)
26. The Killers - "Read My Mind” – Sam’s Town (4:06)
27. Elton John- "Tiny Dancer” – Elton John: The Greatest Hits 1970-2002 (6:17)
28. Billy Joel - "Piano Man” – Billy Joel: Greatest Hits, Vol. 1 & 2 (5:38)
29. Led Zeppelin - "Stairway To Heaven” – The Best Of Led Zeppelin: The Early Days (8:00)
30. Bob Dylan - "Like A Rolling Stone” – Highway 61 Revisited (6:09)
31. Johnny Cash - "Folsom Prison Blues” – Johnny Cash At Folsom Prison (Live) (2:41)
32. Don McLean - "American Pie” – Rearview Mirror (8:28)
33. The Beatles - "Eleanor Rigby” – 1 (2:06)
34. U2 - "Bad (Live)” – Wide Awake In America (4:06)

Forum name: Axver

Axver wites: For this tournament, I chose to follow a different route than last time, partly due to the ban on repeating songs and partly due to my own desire not to be thematically repetitive and to look at my submission from a different angle. Accordingly, this compilation leans more towards melodic rock, with the metal element of the last submission almost entirely absent and the prog element viewed a new way, seeking to show the genre is not about soulless excess. The compilation is not designed to present a journey or work towards a specific point, but to provide a broad sampling of different moods and themes within a cohesive whole. It can accordingly be enjoyed in full or dealt with in thematic portions appropriate to the listener's mood. There are moments of hope, of politics, of tenderness, of cynicism, of joy, of regret, and a conclusion of sheer beauty in the form of Porcupine Tree's The Rest Will Flow. I feel that this is accordingly an ideal desert island compilation: the moods someone stranded on such an island would feel are diverse and can be addressed by various segments of the tracklisting, and the full effect provides masterfully crafted musical accompaniment to the experience both of the desert island and life in general.

1. Anathema - "Release" - A Fine Day To Exit (5:47)
2. Marillion - "Kayleigh" (7" edit) - Misplaced Childhood (3:33)
3. Pure Reason Revolution - "Nimos And Tambos" - The Dark Third, US edition (3:44)
4. Muse - "Hysteria" - Absolution (3:47)
5. Rush - "A Passage To Bangkok" - 2112 (3:35)
6. Spock's Beard - "Skin" - Day For Night (4:01)
7. Delays - "Wanderlust" - Faded Seaside Glamour (3:58)
8. Mew - "The Zookeeper's Boy" - And The Glass Handed Kites (4:43)
9. U2 - "Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop?)" - New Year's Day single (3:24)
10. Crowded House - "Mean To Me" - Crowded House (3:15)
11. The Chills - "Double Summer" - Soft Bomb (3:13)
12. Dave Dobbyn - "Beside You" - Overnight Success (3:43)
13. Dream Theater - "A Mind Beside Itself III: The Silent Man" - Awake (3:47)
14. Blackfield - "Christenings" - Blackfield II (4:37)
15. Neil Finn - "Last One Standing" - Try Whistling This (3:04)
16. The Go-Betweens - "Streets Of Your Town" - Bellavista Terrace: Best Of The Go-Betweens (3:38)
17. Midnight Oil - "Forgotten Years" - 20,000 Watt RSL (4:22)
18. The Police - "Invisible Sun" - Ghost In The Machine (3:44)
19. The Verve - "A New Decade" - A Northern Soul (4:12)
20. Platypus - "Oh God" - Ice Cycles (4:16)
21. Hum - "Green To Me" - Downward Is Heavenward (3:55)
22. The Devin Townsend Band - "Slow Me Down" - Accelerated Evolution (4:35)
23. Joy Division - "Transmission" - Heart And Soul (3:37)
24. The Clean - "Thumbs Off" - Anthology (2:58)
25. Television - "See No Evil" - Marquee Moon (3:49)
26. The Cure - "Fire In Cairo" - Three Imaginary Boys (3:40)
27. Split Enz - "I Got You" - True Colours (3:30)
28. The Who - "Pinball Wizard" - Tommy (3:01)
29. Pinback - "Prog" - Blue Screen Life (4:02)
30. Orphaned Land - "Building The Ark" - Mabool (5:02)
31. Transatlantic - "We All Need Some Light" - SMPT:e (5:44)
32. REM - "Driver 8" - Fables Of The Reconstruction (3:24)
33. Queen - "Long Away" - A Day At The Races (3:33)
34. Straitjacket Fits - "Sparkle That Shines" - Hail (3:57)
35. Ride - "Vapour Trail" - Nowhere (4:18)
36. The Shadows - "Wonderful Land" - The Final Collection (2:06)
37. The Wonder Stuff - "Caught In My Shadow" - Never Loved Elvis (3:48)
38. Wolverine - "Hiding" - Still (4:14)
39. Nick Drake - "From The Morning" - Pink Moon (2:30)
40. Joe Satriani - "Tears In The Rain" - The Extremist (1:18)
41. Pink Floyd - "Summer '68" - Atom Heart Mother (5:29)
42. Porcupine Tree - "The Rest Will Flow" - Lightbulb Sun (3:24)

Total runtime: 160:00

UP NEXT: The winner and the critics' choice awards

I have sent an e-mail to all contestants regarding the critics' choice awards. If you are a contestant and have not received anything, let me know! You have about 60 hours from this post before the deadline for submitting nominations.

Competition master list.

Competition rules.

Have fun!

Damn, I'm absolutely stunned that I somehow made the final. Right now is my favourite time of the rounds featuring my tracklist - I've just created it and got the first vote in, so I have 100% of the vote. :wink:

I'd write more thoughts but it's 2:30am and I just want to sleep.

Axver. Best of the remaining lists. Although my favorite lists in the whole competition were almost all voted off much earlier than the semi-finals. Shame really.

Oh well. I'm looking forward to the nest competition already. :up:

I like Axver's list but a lot of it to me is either totally unknown or strange somewhat obscure picks.. like U2's Treasure and Floyd's Summer 68. There is so much more in their discographies to choose from. That's what I don't get. But to each their own. No offence at all to Ax but I'm all the more surprised that Ax is in the final because I didn't know that many people listened to prog metal like Anathema, Agalloch and what not. :wink:

:wink: LMP once again. Besides his, the other lists aren't really that impressive to me. :shrug: If it were up to me, it would be Gibby and LMP up there right now, but it isn't. :(

Zootlesque said:
I like Axver's list but a lot of it to me is either totally unknown or strange somewhat obscure picks.. like U2's Treasure and Floyd's Summer 68. There is so much more in their discographies to choose from.

I'm kind of tired of asking this, but did you listen to them in context? Because my point was not to collect the most popular songs, the "best" songs, or even my favourite songs by a particular band, but to choose the fourth option: the songs that most adequately work together in a cohesive whole to achieve my artistic vision. If you listen to Treasure in the context of tracks 6-10, you will see that it is absolutely essential to the sonic cohesion of that passage (plus it's a damn good stream of consciousness appropriate to the context of a desert island). And I've already extensively explained my choice of Summer '68 and how it works as a musical complement and a lyrical contrast to The Rest Will Flow (and it is, in fact, my favourite Pink Floyd song).

I'm all the more surprised that Ax is in the final because I didn't know that many people listened to prog metal like Anathema, Agalloch and what not. :wink:

:lmao: Neither of the bands you named are prog metal!

Anathema began as a death doom outfit - they were one of the pioneers of the genre. However, they gradually morphed into a rock outfit - some call them atmospheric rock, some say alternative rock, some say prog rock. My selection is very much from the latter phase.

Agalloch don't even feature in this tracklist as I chose to avoid death growls or black metal hissing (their lone non-instrumental that lacks obvious growls - there are some faint ones in the background - was used in the previous tournament). They're hard to pin down, but the best I can say is that they're The Unforgettable Fire on metal. "Atmospheric folk black metal" is probably the best way to describe them.

Axver said:
If you are not familiar with the songs, leave your e-mail address and we will help you hear the songs so that you can vote for the tracklist as a whole!

We didn't upload our tracks and deal with "save file.com's" shit for nothing.

But evidently the people who could have most used the tracks never did listen to them, because almost everything I uploaded has now expired. Well, I'm still willing to e-mail tracks to anyone who'd like to hear anything before voting.

This is really the only thing that's pissed me off about this competition. All of us put great effort into making tracklists we could be proud of as a whole, and then so many people come along and just vote on the few songs they actually know despite the ease with which they could hear the rest - and get free music! Who doesn't love free music?

I'd be even more irritated about this if I were someone like Screwtape who had an amazing tracklist that got kicked out undeservedly early due to people not bothering to listen.

Some people don't want to take the time to download songs from a genre they don't particularly like or anything altogether, that's just how it is.

As long as you've made a list you feel comfortable with, then it's no big deal. I'm sure on more "open-minded" forums those kind of tracklists win out, but you have to judge based on what you like and your environment.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Some people don't want to take the time to download songs from a genre they don't particularly like or anything altogether, that's just how it is.

I'd say anyone who decides not to download tracks by bands they've never heard of because they assume it's a genre they don't like is being presumptuous and ignorant to say the least.

Now, to use my tracklist as an example, it'd be one thing to not download the Dream Theater song because you don't like prog metal (though I'm sure anyone who downloaded the song I selected discovered it's a soft acoustic song that demonstrates the falsity of cliches). But if you've never heard of Straitjacket Fits, you'd be daft to not download it just because you're all "I don't like prog". Because Straitjacket Fits are jangly proto-indie "Dunedin Sound" rock. I don't think any tracklist that made it to the quarter-finals could reasonably be pigeonholed as confined to a single narrow genre classification.

This was a tough call between LMP & U2VF, but ultimately I had to go with U2VF. Though I like LMP's Queen song MUCH better. Radio Gaga = weak for me. 'Somebody To Love' = :love:
U2VF had Eleanor Rigby, which I'm not the biggest fan of, and LMP had a great choice there (Tomorrow Never Knows). Darnit, did I make the right decision?

:secondguessingmyself:

Lila64 said:
This was a tough call between LMP & U2VF, but ultimately I had to go with U2VF. Though I like LMP's Queen song MUCH better. Radio Gaga = weak for me. 'Somebody To Love' = :love:
U2VF had Eleanor Rigby, which I'm not the biggest fan of, and LMP had a great choice there (Tomorrow Never Knows). Darnit, did I make the right decision?

:secondguessingmyself:

No, you did not :grumpy:

He has Bon Jovi, I do not, therefore I win :wink:

U2VF, other than the Jovi I love your tracklist, no bad blood at all.

Axver said:

I'd say anyone who decides not to download tracks by bands they've never heard of because they assume it's a genre they don't like is being presumptuous and ignorant to say the least.

Now, to use my tracklist as an example, it'd be one thing to not download the Dream Theater song because you don't like prog metal (though I'm sure anyone who downloaded the song I selected discovered it's a soft acoustic song that demonstrates the falsity of cliches). But if you've never heard of Straitjacket Fits, you'd be daft to not download it just because you're all "I don't like prog". Because Straitjacket Fits are jangly proto-indie "Dunedin Sound" rock. I don't think any tracklist that made it to the quarter-finals could reasonably be pigeonholed as confined to a single narrow genre classification.

I'm not sayin' I agree with what they did, but it makes sense to me if they did. But how many people know how to differentiate Dunedin Sound with anything else? I know I've never heard of it until now and I'd like to consider myself fairly knowledgeable about music genres. I'm not knockin' that music or your tracklist at all, I liked most of it.

Last edited:
Sorry there buddy. The Billy Joel song also almost cost him. It was basically a tie, but he ended with 'Bad'. What can I say?
Now, don't get bitter. :wink:
not that you remember the quote wars we had :shifty:

Last edited:
Lila64 said:
Sorry there buddy. The Billy Joel song also almost cost him. It was basically a tie, but he ended with 'Bad'. What can I say?
Now, don't get bitter. :wink:

Okay, if you say so... :p

LemonMacPhisto said:

No, you did not :grumpy:

He has Bon Jovi, I do not, therefore I win :wink:

U2VF, other than the Jovi I love your tracklist, no bad blood at all.

Thanks. And regarding the Bon Jovi, I have to represent my fellow New Jerseyans. :wink:

shocked2.gif

Oh c'mon! They're not that terrible! There's worse bands out there than Bon Jovi! And these days U2 is as cheesy as Bon Jovi. Of course, that wont fly well in EYKIW.

I broke the three-way tie of 8 votes each by voting for LemonMacPhisto, because he has the longest user name of the three.

Democracy is for champs :up:

U2vertigofly said:

Thanks. And regarding the Bon Jovi, I have to represent my fellow New Jerseyans. :wink:

I forgive you because of your location.

Bippoty boppity, give me the zoppity.

Canadiens1160 said:
I broke the three-way tie of 8 votes each by voting for LemonMacPhisto, because he has the longest user name of the three.

Democracy is for champs :up:

You're a scholar and a gentleman :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom