Desert Island Album Game: Heat 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which tracklisting do you prefer?

• Axver's tracklisting

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • yertle-the-turtle's tracklisting

Votes: 21 72.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the third round of the Interference Desert Island Album Game! The premise of this game is that the Interference forum has been stranded on a desert island and we can take only TWO CDs of up to 80 minutes of music each. The object is to see which member of the forum can fit the most musical goodness onto these two CDs.

In the last round, VertigoGal received 27 votes and pepokiss received 5, meaning that VertigoGal progresses to the quarter-finals!

In this round, tracklistings made by Axver and yertle-the-turtle face off against each other. Below, you will find their tracklistings. If you are unfamiliar with the songs included, we can help you hear them! Just leave your e-mail address. This poll will be open for TWO DAYS.

Disclaimer: This is also the first round to feature a paragraph by a contestant about their tracklisting. I realise this may seem a bit suspicious as I happen to be the one providing the tracklisting. However, paragraph submissions were opened before the competition draw was determined, and it just turned out that I happen to be the first paragraph submitter to compete. A couple of others competing in later rounds have also provided paragraphs.

THE TRACKLISTINGS!

Forum name: Axver

Axver writes: In creating this compilation, I sought a balance between excellent songs and flow, with flow a somewhat higher priority as I think it's no good having 12 fantastic songs if they sound awfully disjointed together. I gave no consideration to the obscurity/popularity of the music; rather, I picked the songs on their merits and to further the compilation's flow. This has led to my compilation containing a significant number of obscure songs and I would like to highly encourage everyone to leave their e-mail address to receive details on how to check this material out, as it's great stuff.

I tried to include a little something for everyone whilst keeping an "Axver flavour", so to speak. I tried to make one disc heavier than the other, and while Disc B is generally the heavier disc, it remarkably enough also has the softest material. I kept in mind that this is Interference, a U2 fan site, stranded on a desert island: the fans of Edge's chiming, ringing style will hopefully find music to enjoy here, especially on Disc A, and fans of U2's more experimental and rocking nineties side will hopefully also find enjoyment here, especially on Disc B. But ultimately, I chose songs that are important to me - songs with a powerful message, songs that have a strong meaning to me, or songs that remind me why I think music is such an incredible force. From the beautiful vocal harmonies between Mikael Akerfeldt and Steven Wilson on Opeth's Bleak, through to 1960's UK #1 hit, the instrumental Apache by The Shadows, I am quite satisfied with this compilation's diversity.

Disc A:
1). U2 - "Where The Streets Have No Name" - The Joshua Tree (5:35)
2). Crowded House - "Recurring Dream" - Afterglow (3:24)
3). Split Enz - "History Never Repeats" - Waiata (2:57)
4). The Chills - "Come Home" - Sunburnt (3:09)
5). The Shadows - "Apache" - The Shadows' Greatest Hits (2:55)
6). Porcupine Tree - "Lazarus" - Deadwing (4:18)
7). Agalloch - "Kneel To The Cross" - Of Stone, Wind, And Pillor EP (5:54)
8). Anathema - "Deep" - Judgement (4:53)
9). Porcupine Tree - "Piano Lessons" - Stupid Dream (4:21)
10). Split Enz - "Hermit McDermitt" - Frenzy (4:09)
11). Joy Division - "Disorder" - Heart And Soul CD1 (3:31)
12). Joy Division - "She's Lost Control" - Heart And Soul CD1 (3:56)
13). Straitjacket Fits - "She Speeds" - Life In One Chord EP (4:07)
14). Dream Theater - "Lifting Shadows Off A Dream" - Awake (6:05)
15). U2 - "Heartland" - Rattle And Hum (5:03)
16). Blackfield - "Cloudy Now" - Blackfield (3:34)
17). U2 - "One Tree Hill" - The Joshua Tree (4:43)
18). Agalloch - "...And The Great Cold Death Of The Earth" - The Mantle (7:14)

Total running time: 79:48

Disc B:
1). Dream Theater - "Pull Me Under" - Images And Words (8:11)
2). Apocalyptica - "Life Burns!" (feat. Lauri Ylönen) - Apocalyptica (3:06)
3). Sonata Arctica - "The Cage" - Winterheart's Guild (4:37)
4). Circus Maximus - "Sin" - The 1st Chapter (5:53)
5). Dream Theater - "Only A Matter Of Time" - When Dream And Day Unite [remastered] (6:37)
6). Joy Division - "They Walked In Line" - Warsaw (2:42)
7). Pink Floyd - "Have A Cigar" - Wish You Were Here (5:08)
8). Porcupine Tree - "The Sound Of Muzak" - In Absentia (4:59)
9). Pink Floyd - "Sorrow" - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason (8:48)
10). Orphaned Land - "Norra El Norra (Entering The Ark)" - Mabool: The Story Of The Three Sons Of Seven (4:24)
11). Nick Drake - "Road" - Pink Moon (2:02)
12). Passengers - "Slug" - Original Soundtracks 1 (4:41)
13). Anathema - "Judgement" - Judgement (4:20)
14). Symphony X - "Of Sins And Shadows" - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy (4:58)
15). Opeth - "Bleak" (feat. Steven Wilson) - Blackwater Park (9:15)

Forum name: yertle-the-turtle

Disc A:
1. Jay Chou – "Fearless (Huo Yuan Jia)" – OST: Fearless (4:38)
2. My Chemical Romance – "Helena" - Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge (3:22)
3. Dead Kennedys – "California Über Alles" – Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables (3:00)
4. Mission of Burma - “That's When I Reach For My Revolver” – Signals Calls and Marches (3:53)
5. The Replacements - “Left of the Dial” - Tim (3:44)
6. Elliott Smith - “Waltz #2” - XO (4:38)
7. The Cardigans - “You're the Storm” – Long Done Before Daylight (3:53)
8. Beverly Knight - “Shoulda Woulda Coulda” – Who I Am (3:35)
9. Lemonheads - “Big Gay Heart” – Come On Feel The Lemonheads (4:37)
10. Wilco – "I'm the Man Who Loves You" – Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (3:52)
11. Jens Lekman - “You Are The Light” – When I Said I Wanted To Be Your Dog (3:23)
12. Magnetic Fields – "All My Little Words" – 69 Love Songs (2:46)
13. Johnny Cash - “Cocaine Blues” – At Folsom (3:01)
14. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – "(I'll Love You) Till the End of the World" – OST: Until The End of the World (4:37)
15. Roy Orbison – "She's A Mystery To Me" - Mystery Girl (4:17)
16. Leonard Cohen - “Famous Blue Raincoat” – Songs Of Love And Hate (5:10)
17. Mazzy Star - “Fade Into You” – So Tonight That I Might See (4:55)
18. Sigur Ros - “Viðrar vel til loftárása” - Ágætis byrjun (10:17)
19. Josefine Cronholm – "Close To You" – OST: Mirrormask (2:06)

Total running time: 79:44

Disc B:
1. Pulp – “Like a Friend” – A Little Soul Pt. 1/OST: Great Expectations (4:32)
2. The Divine Comedy - “Gin Soaked Boy” – A Secret History (5:03)
3. The Jam - “A Town Called Malice (BBC version)” – The Jam at the BBC (3:17)
4. Ash - “Walking Barefoot” – Free All Angels (4.14)
5. The Clash - “Safe European Home” – Give 'Em Enough Rope (3:50)
6. Neil Young - “Rockin' In the Free World” - Freedom (4:40)
7. Bruce Springsteen - “Thunder Road” – Born To Run (4.49)
8. The Beatles - “I've Just Seen a Face” - Help! (2:07)
9. Blur - “End Of A Century” - Parklife (2.45)
10. The Libertines - “Music When The Lights Go Out” – The Libertines (3:02)
11. Beth Orton - “I Wish I Never Saw The Sunshine” – Trailer Park (4.42)
12. Elton John - “Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters” - Honky Chateau (5:02)
13. Sarah McLachlan - “Full of Grace” - Surfacing (3.41)
14. The Cure - “A Letter To Elise” - Wish (5.15)
15. Foo Fighters - “Everlong” – The Colour and the Shape (4.10)
16. Pearl Jam - '”Black” – Ten (5.43)
17. REM - “Country Feedback” – Out of Time (4.07)
18. Belle & Sebastian - “This Is Just A Modern Rock Song” – Push Barman To Open Old Wounds (7.17)

Total running time: 78:16

UP NEXT: Liamcool versus Souly

Competition master list.

See an image of the competition's format.

The competition rules.

This one is actually going to be tough for me to vote in. On one hand, I'm not familiar with the majority of Axver's list (I'll download it for sure). I also can't in good conscience vote for any list that has My Chemical Romance on it. On the other hand, yertle has two of my very favorite bands in Wilco and Sigur Ros.

This one will be tough.

inmyplace13 said:
This one is actually going to be tough for me to vote in. On one hand, I'm not familiar with the majority of Axver's list (I'll download it for sure). I also can't in good conscience vote for any list that has My Chemical Romance on it. On the other hand, yertle has two of my very favorite bands in Wilco and Sigur Ros.

This one will be tough.

I hope you've noted that I included Slug. :drool:

yertle has very good picks... so, It was easy for me

Axver tracklisting is quite good thou... it has "Slug"! :drool:

:hmm:

my hubby said if he were stuck on an island with Axver's list, he might want to kill himself with a coconut. And he's very open-minded, and yes, he's seen Opeth (so have I). And he couldn't understand 'Herman McDermitt' as a Split Enz choice with so much other material by them... and he saw them play live back in the day (lucky bastard!). But for me... you do have some U2 on that list, whereas yertle doesn't... But he does have the DKs and Neil Young, Bruce, Clash, Jam,... hmmm...

I enjoy some of the song on Ax's list after listening to them and before. :D

But yertle's is more my taste, even though it has My Chemical Tightemopants. So I vote yertle :up:

I haven't had time to upload everything but I'll try to get some semblance of a sav file thing up by tonight. Sorry about that.

And for what it's worth I think 'Helena' is really catchy.

Last edited:
yertle-the-turtle said:
I haven't had time to upload everything but I'll try to get some semblance of a sav file thing up by tonight. Sorry about that.

And for what it's worth I think 'Helena' is really catchy.

It is...I think after I heard it for the 100th time during night's out, it just kinda sticks with you and you begin to kinda like it.

inmyplace13 said:
So is 'Barbie Girl.' Doesn't mean it's a good song.

Why not?

A song doesn't have to be deep and meaningful all the time. Sure 'Helena' isn't going to be mistaken for Bob Dylan any time soon, but I think it's fairly well-crafted and I enjoy listening to it because it's catchy and has a fun chorus.

yertle-the-turtle said:

Why not?

A song doesn't have to be deep and meaningful all the time. Sure 'Helena' isn't going to be mistaken for Bob Dylan any time soon, but I think it's fairly well-crafted and I enjoy listening to it because it's catchy and has a fun chorus.

To say that Barbie Girl isn't deep and meaningful is like saying Michael Jackson isn't completely normal. An understatement of epic proportions.

I voted for yertle because over all that mix was more my style. There were a few songs I wasn't crazy about, but overall, I could live with these discs as my only ones to play in the magic no-power-needed CD player I'll have on my desert island.

That said, I enjoyed being exposed to some bands I wasn't familiar with before on Axver's mix, and I think I'll be looking at some new bands because of it.

That's what I've been enjoying most about the competition, hearing new songs by bands I marginally know, or else hearing some bands for the first time and wanting to hear more from them.

I bet it's some sort of vortex where our minds are drawing slowly together, culminating in a complete mind meld on Tuesday, 6-6-06.

I'm wearing my crash helmet tomorrow, just in case. :yikes:

Heartland:drool: ... Streets:drool: ... Porcupine Tree:drool: ....and the whipped cream at the top of the cake is Dream Theater..mmm....:rolleyes:
Axver, you are my man!

I finished uploading my thing, just emailed hippy. :) Just disc one, figured most people have heard the stuff on disc two + too lazy/tired to upload any more...might do so if I progress.

Blackberry said:
Heartland:drool: ... Streets:drool: ... Porcupine Tree:drool: ....and the whipped cream at the top of the cake is Dream Theater..mmm....:rolleyes:
Axver, you are my man!

I'm glad someone appreciates the tracklisting! :happy:

I'm getting slaughtered. Maybe I should've thrown in some Arcade Fire or Radiohead or Broken Social Scene or something else I don't like. :wink:

BonoIsMyMuse said:
That's what I've been enjoying most about the competition, hearing new songs by bands I marginally know, or else hearing some bands for the first time and wanting to hear more from them.

:up: Same here. I've been pretty silent so far, but this is helping to broaden my musical tastes, which I've been craving to do for quite some time.

That said, my vote for this round goes to Yertle, but it was very very close!! You had some pretty sweet tracks Axver!

Axver said:

I'm glad someone appreciates the tracklisting! :happy:

I'm getting slaughtered. Maybe I should've thrown in some Arcade Fire or Radiohead or Broken Social Scene or something else I don't like. :wink:

No :wink:

You did the right thing, and who cares, as long as you like it :up:

Axver said:

I hope you're not saying people include that trio just to get votes. They're three of my very favorite bands and I'm glad to have them as parts of my discs, votes or no votes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom