Desert Island Album Game: Heat 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which tracklisting do you prefer?

• inmyplace13's tracklisting

Votes: 24 55.8%
  • namkcuR's tracklisting

Votes: 19 44.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the first round of the Interference Desert Island Album Game! The premise of this game is that the Interference forum has been stranded on a desert island and we can take only TWO CDs of up to 80 minutes of music each. The object is to see which member of the forum can fit the most musical goodness onto these two CDs.

In this round, tracklistings made by inmyplace13 and namkcuR face off against each other. Below, you will find their tracklistings. If you are unfamiliar with the songs included, we can help you hear them! Just leave your e-mail address. :)

THE TRACKLISTINGS!

Forum name: inmyplace13

Disc A:
1.) The Beatles – “Tomorrow Never Knows” - Revolver (2:57)
2.) The Arcade Fire – “Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)” – Funeral (5:12)
3.) Wilco – “Jesus, Etc.” – Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (3:51)
4.) Interpol – “NYC” – Turn On The Bright Lights (4:19)
5.) Broken Social Scene – “Ibi Dreams of Pavement (A Better Day)” – Broken Social Scene (4:30)
6.) The Flaming Lips – “Fight Test” – Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (4:14)
7.) Radiohead – “Idioteque” – Kid A (5:08)
8.) Wilco – “Spiders (Kidsmoke) (Live in Chicago)” – Kicking Television: Live In Chicago (11:17)
9.) Sigur Rós – “Olsen Olsen” - Ágætis Byrjun (8:03)
10.) Pink Floyd – “Dogs” – Animals (17:06)
11.) John Lennon – “Instant Karma!” – The John Lennon Collection (3:22)
12.) The Rolling Stones – “Ruby Tuesday” – Forty Licks (3:15)
13.) R.E.M. – “Nightswimming” – Automatic For The People (4:18)
14.) The Beatles – “In My Life” – Rubber Soul (2:28)

Total Running Time: 80:00

Disc B:
1.) Coldplay – “Don’t Panic” – Parachutes (2:16)
2.) Iron & Wine – “Woman King” – Woman King EP (4:20)
3.) Broken Social Scene – “Anthems for a Seventeen Year Old Girl” – You Forgot It In People (4:35)
4.) Death Cab For Cutie – “Brothers On A Hotel Bed” – Plans (4:29)
5.) Elton John – “My Father’s Gun” – Tumbleweed Connection (6:21)
6.) Beck – “The Golden Age” – Sea Change (4:36)
7.) Radiohead - “Let Down” – OK Computer (4:59)
8.) Stars – “Elevator Love Letter” – Heart (4:04)
9.) Van Morrison – “And It Stoned Me” – Moondance (4:34)
10.) Sufjan Stevens – “Casimir Pulaski Day” - Come On Feel The Illinoise! (5:53)
11.) Bright Eyes – “Land Locked Blues” – I’m Wide Awake, It’s Morning (5:47)
12.) Wilco – “Sunken Treasure” – Being There (6:51)
13.) The Arcade Fire – “Crown Of Love” – Funeral (4:42)
14.) Radiohead – “Climbing Up The Walls” – OK Computer (4:45)
15.) Sigur Rós – “Untitled 8” – ( ) (11:45)

Total Running Time: 79:57

Forum name: namkcuR

Disc A:
1.) Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Warped" - One Hot Minute (5:04)
2.) Smashing Pumpkins - "Today" - Siamese Dream (3:22)
3.) Pearl Jam - "Jeremy" - Ten (5:19)
4.) U2 - "Until The End Of The World" - Achtung Baby (4:38)
5.) Depeche Mode - "One Caress" - Songs Of Faith And Devotion (3:32)
6.) U2 - "With Or Without You" - The Joshua Tree (4:56)
7.) Joy Division - "Love Will Tear Us Apart" - Substance (3:24)
8.) U2 - "Gone" - Pop (4:26)
9.) Smashing Pumpkins - "Ava Adore" - Adore (4:21)
10.) U2 - "The Fly" - Achtung Baby (4:29)
11.) Depeche Mode - "A Question Of Lust" - The Singles 86>98 Disc 1 (4:29)
12.) Radiohead - "Bulletproof...I Wish I Was" - The Bends (3:28)
13.) R.E.M. - "Losing My Religion" - Out Of Time (4:31)
14.) Radiohead - "Fake Plastic Trees" - The Bends (4:50)
15.) Smashing Pumpkins - "Tonight, Tonight" - Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness (4:15)
16.) Radiohead - "Exit Music (For A Film)" - OK Computer (4:24)
17.) U2 - "Love Is Blindness" - Achtung Baby (4:23)
18.) Radiohead - "Street Spirit (Fade Out)" - The Bends (4:12)

Total Running Time: 78:03

Disc B:
1.) Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - "Learning To Fly" - Into THe Great Wide Open (4:01)
2.) Johnny Cash - "Hurt (NIN Cover)" - American IV: The Man Comes Around (3:38)
3.) U2 - "Bullet The Blue Sky (Live From Dublin)" - Stay Single (5:28)
4.) U2 - "Please (Live From Mexico City)" - Hasta La Vista Baby! (6:58)
5.) U2 - "Where The Streets Have No Name (Live From Mexico City)" - Hasta La Vista Baby! (6:35)
6.) Led Zeppelin - "Stairway To Heaven (Live)" - How The West Was Won (Disc 1) (9:36)
7.) Pink Floyd - "Wish You Were Here" - Wish You Were Here (5:17)
8.) Metallica - "To Live Is To Die" - ...And Justice For All (9:51)
9.) Simon & Garfunkel - "Scarborough Fair/Canticle" - The Best Of Simon & Garfunkel (3:10)
10.) Beatles - "Hey Jude" - Past Masters Vol. II (7:08)
11.) Elton John - "Tiny Dancer" - Madman Across The Water (6:15)
12.) Simon & Garfunkel - "Bridge Over Troubled Water" - The Best Of Simon & Garfunkel (4:54)
13.) Beatles - "Let It Be" - Let It Be (4:03)

Total Running Time: 76:54

UP NEXT: LJT versus MrBrau1

Competition master list.

See an image of the competition's format.

The competition rules.

Axver said:

If you are unfamiliar with the songs included, we can help you hear them! Just leave your e-mail address. :)

Please don't hesitate to leave your email addresses! Many people have the link and we'll be happy to get it to you :)

Alternately, feel free to PM me and I'll send you the link.

namkcuR said:
Ax, How long will the polls be open for each round?

Ah, sorry, I should've put that in the original post.

Heats are 24 hours, quarter and semi finals 48 hours, and the grand final will be 72 hours.

I've been thinking of extending the heats to 48 hours though ...

Hope you don't mind me saying but I think 48 hours would be good - as there is over 5 hours worth of listening if people choose to listen to the compilations in full.

I'd personally rather not vote in some of the heats if I can't give the complilations with songs I am less familiar a listen. It seems unfair as so much thought has gone into track listings etc.

This is gonna be a tough tough competition to vote in! :crazy:

I agree that the heats should be made at least 48 hours if not more!

Anyone object to an extension to 48 hours?

I have to head in soon to university, but if there's no objections when I return, I'll send a mod a PM and ask them to extend the time on this poll, and all subsequent ones will be 48 hours.

to inmyplace13 and namkcuR:

you both did an awesome job with these mixes... I thoroughly enjoyed listening to each of these discs and I've been introduced to a lot of new sounds :) You've also brought out some old favorites that have renewed my love for bands I've already known.

Cheers! And great job to you both! :D

KhanadaRhodes said:
i'm around so if you want to extend it, i'll do it for you :wave:

Yeah, let's extend it. 2 days rather than 1 will probably be better. Thanks! :)

both are extremely good mixes, but I love the diversity and continuity of IMP's tracklisting.

Just looking at the track listings, this one is going to be a tough call for me. I'm looking forward to listening to both mixes tomorrow and casting my vote then.

Hooray for new summer mixes! :rockon:

These replies need more impressions. I think I speak for Rucky and I both when I say a little feedback would be interesting.

while i certainly applaud your effort in compiling your list namkcuR, it's a bit too classic rock for my tastes.

impy, your tracklisting is :drool:.

seriously, disc b is fantastic.

props, dude. :up:

inmyplace13 said:
These replies need more impressions. I think I speak for Rucky and I both when I say a little feedback would be interesting.

I'm going to give thoughts when I vote. I was going to download and listen tonight, but now that I have the luxury of tomorrow, I might take some extra time.

Although I'm hoping that my computer doesn't die on me first, as I seem to be having some unfortunate problems. If it does die, I give hippy permission to continue with the polls (pretty much just use the format of this thread, as that's what I intended on doing).

I voted for NamkuR tracklist. inmyplace13........sorry, you did not even have one single U2 song.......IMHO i think you are going to lose this round,but anyhoo lets see.....nice listing but:up:

Axver said:

Although I'm hoping that my computer doesn't die on me first, as I seem to be having some unfortunate problems. If it does die, I give hippy permission to continue with the polls (pretty much just use the format of this thread, as that's what I intended on doing).

:ohmy:

So the next round starts at 6:00 PM EST on June 1, right?

hippy said:

:ohmy:

So the next round starts at 6:00 PM EST on June 1, right?

That's correct. :)

I figured you'd be a good choice in case my computer dies as you're a premium member and you're well-acquianted with the competition. Hope you don't mind! I would've just PMed you but at the time, I thought my computer was about to go on me at any moment. It seems to be working at the moment ...

ok...feedback...

great tracklistings both of you. i voted for imp's though. nam's was a little too much classic rock for me, and probably a little too much U2 even for a U2 fan forum. :p

imp i just found that i loved nearly all of the songs. crown of love, untitled 8, fight test, the golden age, etc...all some of my favorites, and i liked the feel/flow of it. :drool:

both good though.

FYI-My analysis is completely literal to the desert island idea. That's how I compiled my discs, that's how I'll judge others.

I'm stuck on an island. Maybe I'm alone. Maybe we're mixed company. For some reason we have a working stereo, and 2 CDRs of music. This is the only music we'll hear for the REST OF OUR LIVES.

The thought of being stuck on an island, and never hearing a strong female voice in song again scares me. It scares me alot.

Another scarey thought is being suck on an island, and only hearing rock music recorded in the past 25 years. Only 25% of all these songs were recorded before 1981.

And 100% of these tunes are by "white" artists. I'm stuck on an island. Maybe we're a group of 4 males and 4 females. we're all naked. We're all scared. Until someone figures out how to make booze from coconut milk, or finds a ganja field. Can you say "Ultimate Beach Party?" Where's the hip shaking tunes?

That said, I don't know who to vote for. :sad:

MrBrau1 said:
FYI-My analysis is completely literal to the desert island idea. That's how I compiled my discs, that's how I'll judge others.

I'm stuck on an island. Maybe I'm alone. Maybe we're mixed company. For some reason we have a working stereo, and 2 CDRs of music. This is the only music we'll hear for the REST OF OUR LIVES.

The thought of being stuck on an island, and never hearing a strong female voice in song again scares me. It scares me alot.

Another scarey thought is being suck on an island, and only hearing rock music recorded in the past 25 years. Only 25% of all these songs were recorded before 1981.

And 100% of these tunes are by "white" artists. I'm stuck on an island. Maybe we're a group of 4 males and 4 females. we're all naked. We're all scared. Until someone figures out how to make booze from coconut milk, or finds a ganja field. Can you say "Ultimate Beach Party?" Where's the hip shaking tunes?

The music on my compilation IS what makes me want to get up dance.

hell... I thought at the beginning that every round would be like 1 week...

2 days?.. better for me.. so I can upload the things..

MrBrau1 said:

I see what you mean, I would have to sing U Can't Touch This to the rest of the beachgoers until the Others kidnap me and Walt.

WALLLLLLLLLLLLLTTTT.
lostmichaelharoldperrineau1tn9.jpg

I voted for imp's list. It was a tough decision, but the flow from song to song won me over. The first three songs and last few on the first disc worked especially well together. At first, I wasn't sure about Neighborood #3 into Jesus Etc., but I enjoyed it.

A nice mix :up:

I liked listening to both of these, plus they were both very different too. I decided to pick nam's list in the end - it came down to the fact that I knew more of the songs.

nam - I loved that you put Warped at the beginning of one the discs - I like loud opening tracks on CD's so that appealed to me. I also loved the switch from the Metallica song to the Simon & Garfunkel song - I was wondering how that was going to work but then I heard the end of the Metallica track:up:. The only downside to this is that I felt there was alot of stuff from one genre - i would like to have heard some different stuff, but that is just my personal preference.

imp13 - I really loved those first three tracks on disc 1 - I went back and listened to them several times. I liked disc 2 more overall (particularly the Van Morrison and Sufjan Stevens tracks) despite the fact that there are two or three artists on there that I am unfamiliar with (namely Iron & Wine, Broken Social Scene and Bright Eyes). I really like 'woman king' - I shall definitely be checking more of Iron & Wine out - thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom