Desert Island 3 Master List - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2007, 08:02 AM   #301
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
It's total competition suicide, as variety is prized here, but there has never been a list quite like it, and with some slow jamz thrown in, it wouldn't be static.
I look at it as more variety because not too many people have explored that genre in this game. I don't know how well you'd do in the competition, but really, it's all about the music anyway. Voting is really an afterthought, if you think about it. The most exciting part of the game is when we first get all the lists and the links to listen to them, IMO.

I usually add certain electronic elements to my list, and I've been thinking about diving into that genre a bit more, and that probably wouldn't go over well, either, but that wouldn't be the point for me, anyway.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:10 AM   #302
Blue Crack Addict

Also, a note to everyone. Later today, Round 2 starts, and we'll be having four rounds going simultaneously and lasting for only 24 hours, now that we've gone through almost all the playlists once. This will allow the game to progress faster.

Can't wait to see how the next rounds go...

Old 08-14-2007, 08:26 AM   #303
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
Motown
Deep 70's funk grooves
Indietastic dance rock
80's guilty pleasures
Funky old-school rap
Catchy, danceable Britpop
... oh dear. My tastes are scarred just thinking of that.

Maybe I should do my metal mix just as retaliation.

Proto-doom
Drone doom
Doom death
Progressive death
Tech death
Avantgarde black
Atmospheric black
Holy unblack

Now we're talking!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-14-2007, 08:55 AM   #304
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Holy unblack

I must know what this is.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:41 AM   #305
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
I must know what this is.
This gives me an excuse to prattle on about metal.

Context is important and I don't expect many Interferencers will know it. Black metal arose in Norway as a response to the perceived imposition of Christianity on Norwegian culture, hence the name: black being the opposite of white, the Christian holy and pure colour. Many people associate it with Satanism (often a very misunderstood concept in itself), but black metal's origins are more in a celebration of traditional pre-Christian Norwegian culture and an often militantly anti-Christian stance.

Now, some say that black metal is inextricably intertwined with this background. Others say that's bullshit; it is a musical sound, an aesthetic, and that you can't base a genre on ideology or lyrical content (especially a genre such as black metal, where the hoarse shrieks and wails of the vocalists are rarely even remotely comprehensible and function as another instrument). Those who say it's bullshit include Jayson Sherlocke, a Melbourne metal musician who was the sole member of Horde. In response to the anti-Christian lyrical themes common to the genre, Horde recorded an album with the black metal style that favoured the Christian God.

This album was called Hellig Usvart, "holy unblack" in Norwegian, and it caused quite a controversy - including death threats against the record label. Some Christian black metal bands already existed, most notably Norway's Antestor, but Hellig Usvart was the album, and since then, Christian black metal - often considered an oxymoronic term - has also been referred to as "holy unblack".

As an aside, I just mentioned Antestor. Euronymous, prominent member of seminal black metal band Mayhem (who was murdered by bandmate and racist fuckwit Varg Vikernes, best known for his Burzum project), said that the black metal scene would force Antestor to split up. Quite the opposite happened - Mayhem's drummer, Jan Axel "Hellhammer" Blomberg, has drummed on Antestor's last two albums!

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-14-2007, 10:09 AM   #306
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:

This gives me an excuse to prattle on about metal.

Context is important and I don't expect many Interferencers will know it. Black metal arose in Norway as a response to the perceived imposition of Christianity on Norwegian culture, hence the name: black being the opposite of white, the Christian holy and pure colour. Many people associate it with Satanism (often a very misunderstood concept in itself), but black metal's origins are more in a celebration of traditional pre-Christian Norwegian culture and an often militantly anti-Christian stance.

Now, some say that black metal is inextricably intertwined with this background. Others say that's bullshit; it is a musical sound, an aesthetic, and that you can't base a genre on ideology or lyrical content (especially a genre such as black metal, where the hoarse shrieks and wails of the vocalists are rarely even remotely comprehensible and function as another instrument). Those who say it's bullshit include Jayson Sherlocke, a Melbourne metal musician who was the sole member of Horde. In response to the anti-Christian lyrical themes common to the genre, Horde recorded an album with the black metal style that favoured the Christian God.

This album was called Hellig Usvart, "holy unblack" in Norwegian, and it caused quite a controversy - including death threats against the record label. Some Christian black metal bands already existed, most notably Norway's Antestor, but Hellig Usvart was the album, and since then, Christian black metal - often considered an oxymoronic term - has also been referred to as "holy unblack".
I see. Interesting genre. I love when music goes in those almost shady regions. I've always looked at some of those other genres as the sound of the future. It is basically Blade Runner music.

We need some tracks for a Supertracklist for the Symphonic Mini-Game. Perhaps you could include some tracks of that genre to create the most insane playlist of all time.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:36 AM   #307
Vocal parasite

Black metal is insane; more than that, it's truly fucked up. It does have its share of highly talented musicians though (most notably Hellhammer, the single best drummer I've heard in my life), and it is very devoted to a particular artistic style and aesthetic. Dedicated black metallers show some of the most intense devotion to their music of any musicians I have ever encountered.

And I hate to think how on earth you'd fit something like Horde's Invert The Inverted Cross into the Supertracklist ... but damn, you're tempting me. It'd be hilarious.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-14-2007, 10:40 AM   #308
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

And I hate to think how on earth you'd fit something like Horde's Invert The Inverted Cross into the Supertracklist ... but damn, you're tempting me. It'd be hilarious.
Do it. The Supertracklist should always be insane because no one gets the blame.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:42 AM   #309
Vocal parasite

Maybe I should just go all out and submit a black metal track (probably the aforementioned Horde track) and something by Plastic People of the Universe, an underground Czechoslovakian psychedelic/prog/jazz band from the communist era. They were part of the infamous "Jazz Section" of the musicians' union and their arrest inspired Charter 77.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-14-2007, 10:44 AM   #310
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
something by Plastic People of the Universe, an underground Czechoslovakian prog/jazz band from the communist era.
In the middle of a song should I expect subliminal readings of Marx.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:47 AM   #311
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
In the middle of a song should I expect subliminal readings of Marx.
Hah, no, they copped a lot of shit from the Dubcek regime, were arrested, and one member was even deported.

One of my university lecturers saw them live. He remarked that it was the only time he ever felt sorry for the communist secret police who sometimes infiltrated the Plastic People's secret concerts. He said the two hour concert primarily consisted of recitation of German poetry over pounding drumming.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-14-2007, 10:51 AM   #312
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Hah, no, they copped a lot of shit from the Dubcek regime, were arrested, and one member was even deported.
Wow. At least they made art they believed in.

Quote:

One of my university lecturers saw them live. He remarked that it was the only time he ever felt sorry for the communist secret police who sometimes infiltrated the Plastic People's secret concerts. He said the two hour concert primarily consisted of recitation of German poetry over pounding drumming.
Now you have to send me a track or two by them.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:00 AM   #313
Vocal parasite

I'll definitely provide you with some of their material. I think some is enjoyable, while some is just a total mess!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-14-2007, 11:02 AM   #314
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I'll definitely provide you with some of their material. I think some is enjoyable, while some is just a total mess!
Thanks.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:18 AM   #315
Vocal parasite

E-mailing now.

Might take a while though due to my slow upload speeds.

Gig pictures | Blog