Desert Island 2.5: Prog Island Album Game Rules and Sign-up Thread - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2007, 11:00 AM   #121
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Isn't Queen a bit prog too?
For sure, at least in the early seventies. I was considering a couple of tracks from Queen II, but ultimately left them out.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-20-2007, 11:15 AM   #122
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:59 PM
Hey! I just thought of the Genesis offshoot, Mike & The Mechanics! What about them? Prog or too adult pop to be prog?

Old 05-20-2007, 11:21 AM   #123
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 04:59 PM
Quote:
I guess this page could be a decent guide to what can be included in Prog Rock.

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:374
Wow. What's Kate Bush's Kick Inside doing there.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:05 PM   #124
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

For sure, at least in the early seventies. I was considering a couple of tracks from Queen II, but ultimately left them out.
I wanted to use some Queen II tracks too. The March Of The Black Queen would have been ideal, but then I would have needed to include Funny How Love Is, which isn't progressive at all. I ended up going with Bicycle Race instead. It shouldn't be possible to fit so many tempo changes into a three minute song, but Queen managed!
Old 05-20-2007, 01:24 PM   #125
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:59 PM
Mike & The Mechanics?

Mike Rutherford's solo release 'Smallcreeps Day'
Old 05-20-2007, 01:47 PM   #126
Blue Crack Supplier

Yeah I guess Mike & the Mechanics is like adult contemporary or something. lol. Anyway, I find it funny that Phil Collins gets a lot of shit from old school Genesis fans but if you look at Peter Gabriel's solo hits... Sledgehammer, In Your Eyes, Big Time, Steam, Digging In The Dirt etc., they're all pretty pop-ish too! Granted, they're not as sugary coated as some of Collins' tunes like I Can't Stop Loving You. Can't believe he wrote such a banal chorus for that one.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:45 PM   #127
Blue Crack Supplier

Btw, I have to say I don't care what old school Genesis fans think. No Son Of Mine is a fantastic song! It had a great video too!
Old 05-20-2007, 03:35 PM   #128
Refugee

Local Time: 10:59 PM
I ain't got a clue what 'prog rock' is! So I just be standing by having a listen. I should be around a bit more to vote this time also.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:14 PM   #129
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Btw, I have to say I don't care what old school Genesis fans think. No Son Of Mine is a fantastic song! It had a great video too!
We Can't Dance has a lot of great songs. It's my 2nd favorite post-Gabriel Genesis album (their self-titled album being the 1st.)
Old 05-20-2007, 05:54 PM   #130
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
We Can't Dance has a lot of great songs.

Jesus He Knows Me
Driving The Last Spike
I Can't Dance
Dreaming While You Sleep
Living Forever
The Way Of The World
Fading Lights

I'd like to get the self titled one at some point!

Home By The Sea
Old 05-20-2007, 09:12 PM   #131
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

We Can't Dance has a lot of great songs. It's my 2nd favorite post-Gabriel Genesis album (their self-titled album being the 1st.)
I like both of those as well, although I rate Duke higher.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:31 PM   #132
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

I like both of those as well, although I rate Duke higher.
I'd rate Duke higher if the album didn't feature Misunderstanding and Turn It On Again. I can't stand that pop-ish stuff on an album with so many other great tracks.

Behind The Lines
Duchess
Man Of Our Times
Duke's Travel

Old 05-20-2007, 10:01 PM   #133
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
I wanted to use some Queen II tracks too. The March Of The Black Queen would have been ideal, but then I would have needed to include Funny How Love Is, which isn't progressive at all. I ended up going with Bicycle Race instead. It shouldn't be possible to fit so many tempo changes into a three minute song, but Queen managed!
I was considering Ogre Battle most seriously, just because it's so ridiculous and fun that I thought it would provide a good change in mood for my tracklist. But, alas, you can only fit so much into 4 hours.

And Bicycle Race! That song has so many nostalgic memories for me, as my father played it all the time when we went to visit my grandparents ... until his car's cassette player ate the cassette while we were crossing the Rimutaka Ranges and were 30 minutes from any half-decent radio reception! Funny how that era of cassettes, eaten tapes, and shitty radio reception not far from a large city feels like an entirely different time now.

Though your mention of its musical complexity is making me now wish I had Dream Theater's The Dance Of Eternity on my tracklist. 91 changes between 17 time signatures in 6.5 minutes? Oh yes!

PS WTF happened in the Super 14 final!! Holy shit!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-21-2007, 03:42 AM   #134
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:59 PM
I still need 'Duke'

And Zoots, you have to remember that Phil Collins was the drummer for Genesis first, and after Gabriel left, he took over the vocal duties. They were still "prog" (I guess you'd say) up until that S/T album. We stopped listening after that.

And Peter Gabriel had at least 3 solo albums in the 70s. 'Security' came out in the early 80s, and the big 'hit' there was 'Shock The Monkey'. Before that, you might recognize 'Solsbury Hill'. Maybe you heard 'Games Without Frontiers' from the 3rd solo. I'd name a few more, but I figure it's pointless
Old 05-21-2007, 12:55 PM   #135
Blue Crack Addict

With the exception of the Invisible Touch album and a few choice songs here and there, I'd argue that Genesis really continued in a prog-type vein for most of their career. Take We Can't Dance, for example. Sure, there are a couple of songs that definitely are more in the pop vein, but No Son Of Mine, Driving The Last Spike, Dreaming While You Sleep, and Fading Lights are some of their best moments ever.

In my opinion, of course.

And really, Peter Gabriel never went over to pop as much as Collins. Nowhere near it. His last album, Up, is as far from the mainstream as anything you'll hear.

Tags
desert island