Desert Island 2.5: Prog Island Album Game Rules and Sign-up Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver, I could send you one other track to replace the short ELP tracks I threw in. I had about 4 minutes open and they were already uploaded, yada yada........ I have something else that is 3 seconds longer also uploaded. I'd prefer to throw that in the superlist to avoid the repetition.

I had a feeling the combined list would be good. Variety is always nice.

Axver said:
Hey, Screwtape, have you sent me your material for the bonus 30 minutes? Because I can't seem to find it. Oh, and please, no Emerson, Lake, and Palmer! I already have three tracks by them in the Supertracklist. Might also be a good idea to avoid Roxy Music and Porcupine Tree too, as they both appear twice.

I'm trying to make the list now and we're falling short of the time limit. If I can get 30 minutes from Screwtape, we should be OK though.

It's in an e-mail called Desert Island Links alongside the links for my main tracklist.

hardyharhar said:
Axver, I could send you one other track to replace the short ELP tracks I threw in. I had about 4 minutes open and they were already uploaded, yada yada........ I have something else that is 3 seconds longer also uploaded. I'd prefer to throw that in the superlist to avoid the repetition.

You should go ahead and do that, hardyharhar.

It should be interesting to see which artists get represented the most. :hmm:

Finished Screwtapes set :yes: Got to hear some things I haven't in a while, couple of things in the upcoming Waters show I didn't know the titles of and some new bands I can now keep an eye out for possible tours (Porcupine Tree, Pure Reason...). Exactly what I was hoping for, because truth be told, radio today sucks and there are few outlets to hear something slightly different.

Having a slightly tougher time with GG's list though, going back and forth from the itunes mpeg trax to windows media mp3's. My computer doesn't seem to be enjoying that part very much :sad:

hardyharhar said:

Thanks for doing that!

I don't suppose I could ask something else of you, though? I'm having an extremely hard time fitting Roxy Music's If There Is Something into the tracklist simply due to the audience noise at the start and the finish, and if I remember correctly, that was one of your tracks. I can't get it to be cohesive. We have another Roxy Music track, Out Of The Blue, and it does fit because its crowd noise fades in and out.

Do you have anything else you'd be willing to offer instead? If it's 8:46 or shorter, that would make my life even easier.

However, if you don't have anything or would really like that song to be included, that's cool. I like it; it's just that damn crowd noise means it's the track giving me the most trouble right now. I could work around it though. :)

Screwtape2 said:
It's in an e-mail called Desert Island Links alongside the links for my main tracklist.

Oh, I feel daft. I'd even downloaded that, but to a different folder, and when I went searching Gmail last night, I was only looking for "prog island". :reject:

Screwtape2 said:
So do you know how close Liamcool is to being done, Axver?

No, but when I spoke to him last night, it seemed like he'd get something in on time. He's already given me tracks for the Supertracklist.

Compiling this Supertracklist is proving to be harder than I expected. I have some really good, cohesive sections, and some songs that just don't really want to slot into anywhere yet. I've still got a fair bit of tinkering to go.

It will be interesting to see if people can tell who contributed what. I feel like there's one section that has my name and Liam's stamped all over it.

Axver said:

Compiling this Supertracklist is proving to be harder than I expected. I have some really good, cohesive sections, and some songs that just don't really want to slot into anywhere yet. I've still got a fair bit of tinkering to go.

It will be interesting to see if people can tell who contributed what. I feel like there's one section that has my name and Liam's stamped all over it.

I think some of tracklists for this have had perfect flow, so I'm not sure that all of them should be broken up. Mine for example flows very well. Maybe you could keep two or three of the entries intact so that they weigh down the tracklist instead of having the tracklist go everywhere as I suspect it might. Just a thought.

Screwtape2 said:
I think some of tracklists for this have had perfect flow, so I'm not sure that all of them should be broken up. Mine for example flows very well. Maybe you could keep two or three of the entries intact so that they weigh down the tracklist instead of having the tracklist go everywhere as I suspect it might. Just a thought.

I'm trying a few combinations, so some contribs may remain intact. It really depends on what manages to flow best.

That said, I'm afraid I may have to split yours up, just because I really need Careful With That Axe to follow another song.

Axver said:

I'll bet that Aphrodite's Child song I put on there is giving you fits. :wink: It's really unlike anything else.

Although I think I placed it halfway decently amongst the songs I sent.

BTM, I sent that song to Axver. I don't know if I was required to send it to Screwtape too. You guys can work that out :wink:

Axver said:
I was thinking doing just 24 hours too. That'd work well.

Getting back to this, I like 24 hours as well, but I'm thinking it's not enough time if someone genuinely wants to listen to the playlists before they vote. A person would have to listen to 8 hours of music within a 24 hour time frame.

Perhaps the first time through, it should be 48 hours, giving people time to listen. Then, all subsequent polls should go to 24 hours.

phanan said:

Getting back to this, I like 24 hours as well, but I'm thinking it's not enough time if someone genuinely wants to listen to the playlists before they vote. A person would have to listen to 8 hours of music within a 24 hour time frame.

Perhaps the first time through, it should be 48 hours, giving people time to listen. Then, all subsequent polls should go to 24 hours.

I'm not exactly sure what Axver was planning but I was thinking we could do something like this:

Round One (48 hours)
Axver vs. Gibsongirl
Liamcool vs. Supertracklist
Screwtape vs. Phanan
HardyHarHar vs. notAxver

Round Two (24 hours)
Axver vs. Liamcool
Gibsongirl vs. Supertracklist
Screwtape vs. HardyHarHar
Phanan vs. notAxver

Round Three (24 hours)
Axver vs. Supertracklist
Gibsongirl vs. Liamcool
Screwtape vs. notAxver
Phanan vs. HardyHarHar

Semifinals (48 hours)
Third Place Game? (24 or 48 hours)
Final (48 hours)

Screwtape2 said:

I'm not exactly sure what Axver was planning but I was thinking we could do something like this:

Round One (48 hours)
Axver vs. Gibsongirl
Liamcool vs. Supertracklist
Screwtape vs. Phanan
HardyHarHar vs. notAxver

Round Two (24 hours)
Axver vs. Liamcool
Gibsongirl vs. Supertracklist
Screwtape vs. HardyHarHar
Phanan vs. notAxver

Round Three (24 hours)
Axver vs. Supertracklist
Gibsongirl vs. Liamcool
Screwtape vs. notAxver
Phanan vs. HardyHarHar

Semifinals (48 hours)
Third Place Game? (24 or 48 hours)
Final (48 hours)

48 hours for Round One looks good, and then moving to 24 hours. I don't think it needs to move back to 48 hours for the semifinals and finals, though. I think once you get through Round One, all subsequent rounds can be 24 hours.

Liam: Got your tracklist. Regarding Out Of The Blue, I accidentally put the live one on the Supertracklist, woops. Just corrected it to the studio one, which will hopefully fit better.

hardyharhar: Although it means we'll have three ELP tracks, I may just go with the two you included as they're nice and short and I think they fit better than Ethos's Spirit Of Music. Though, of course, this is subject to change as I'm not done yet.

To whoever put Earth & Fire's Circus in their bonus pack: blah! That song has by far been the hardest to place, hardyharhar's live Roxy Music track excluded. I'm still not happy with where I put it and I'm hoping something will come to me soon as I'd like to start the tournament tomorrow or the next day.

Screwtape: Regarding your proposed format, are you envisaging four polls running at once? I was thinking I'd run each round separately, with 48 hours for each person's first poll and then 24 hours afterwards, excluding the final which would revert to 48.

I'm fairly sure he meant that the rounds would be separate. He was just outlining the order.

48 hours for the final would work.

I'm listening to hardyharhar's set now. Lots of stuff that I haven't heard before!

Screwtape2 said:
If you've finished the track order for the Supertracklist maybe you could go ahead and post the master list. Let's not keep the people waiting. :drool:

Check your e-mails - I just sent you a draft. I'm still not that happy with it though, so I'd appreciate your input. It's really hard to make a cohesive tracklist in a very short space of time when you know all the material, and this is even harder because half the stuff is foreign, and what isn't foreign really covers the whole spectrum!

That said, it's nearly 2am here, so I'm off to bed. Maybe tomorrow will be the day for the master list.

You can go ahead and do whatever with my tracks. If something doesn't seem to fit well, just skip it. Or replace it with something else of your choosing. I'll have no problem with whatever you decide:)

I'm having fun just listening to all this stuff:wink:

Hopefully we'll get the second email soon with Axver and liamcool's lists (along with mine).

hardyharhar, I'm at work listening to yours. I'm up to track 27 out of 36. While some of the songs are out there even for me, I have really enjoyed others. For example, I never heard England before, but now I'll have to check out that album of theirs. :up:

I'm glad you heard something new you like. That's been my favorite part of this so far.

I knew my list could get difficult, but just couldn't take the easy way out. :wink: I'm glad your sticking with it though:applaud:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom