Desert Island 2.5: Prog Island Album Game Rules and Sign-up Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly and most importantly: I'm extending the deadline to 7pm, 4 June 2007 Aussie eastern time (that's 9am GMT, 5am US eastern time). I have to do this because I can't guarantee at all that I'll be around the next few days due to family visiting and lengthy essays to write, and I don't want to be absent like I was at the start of the last tournament. I'm sure we'd all still be OK with the current deadline, but I don't want a few days to lapse before I get things underway. This also means those of you not quite ready needn't rush so much.

Regarding the 30 minute contribution, I'm cool if you go slightly over. Our six contributions will only get us to three hours as it is. But PLEASE GET THESE IN BY THE ORIGINAL DEADLINE if at all possible! I need time to put the tracklisting together. I may put out a request for more material if I find myself at a loose end.

Axver said:
Firstly and most importantly: I'm extending the deadline to 7pm, 4 June 2007 Aussie eastern time (that's 9am GMT, 5am US eastern time). I have to do this because I can't guarantee at all that I'll be around the next few days due to family visiting and lengthy essays to write, and I don't want to be absent like I was at the start of the last tournament. I'm sure we'd all still be OK with the current deadline, but I don't want a few days to lapse before I get things underway. This also means those of you not quite ready needn't rush so much.

Regarding the 30 minute contribution, I'm cool if you go slightly over. Our six contributions will only get us to three hours as it is. But PLEASE GET THESE IN BY THE ORIGINAL DEADLINE if at all possible! I need time to put the tracklisting together. I may put out a request for more material if I find myself at a loose end.

With the deadline being pushed back can I send out the playlists/links that we have now? We were originally going to do that if had a couple earlier in the week but with a delay of a couple days why not do that now?

Also we really need to work out how voting will go. I decided to make this a separate post to keep it distinct from what's in the last one.

I've made our groups and hope Screwtape doesn't object - I feel these are fair, and I am completely unwilling to alter where I, notAxver, and the Supertracklist are (for, I think, obvious reasons). I assume Canadiens was pulling our leg, especially going by his comments on other threads, but if he does get a genuine submission in, he'll take notAxver's place. The groups are:

GROUP 1
Axver
GibsonGirl
Liamcool
Supertracklist

GROUP 2
Screwtape
phanan
hardyharhar
notAxver

As for the threads, how will they work? Each person faces every other person in their group, and I wanted to have all of their matches in one thread, so that each group had only three threads and things were done quickly. For example, in Group 1, thread one would have been me vs GG, Liam, and the Supertracklist; thread two would have been GG vs Liam and the Supertracklist; thread three would have been Liam vs the Supertracklist; thus all possible match-ups would have been done. However, I feel that would create overly lengthy threads, especially the first one. So shall each match-up be done separately? That will require six threads per group, twelve overall. For example, group 2:

Thread 1: Screwtape vs phanan
Thread 2: Screwtape vs hardyharhar
Thread 3: Screwtape vs notAxver
Thread 4: phanan vs hardyharhar
Thread 5: phanan vs notAxver
Thread 6: hardyharhar vs notAxver

How does that sound?

Screwtape2 said:
With the deadline being pushed back can I send out the playlists/links that we have now? We were originally going to do that if had a couple earlier in the week but with a delay of a couple days why not do that now?

Go for it. :)

Axver said:
Also we really need to work out how voting will go. I decided to make this a separate post to keep it distinct from what's in the last one.

I've made our groups and hope Screwtape doesn't object - I feel these are fair, and I am completely unwilling to alter where I, notAxver, and the Supertracklist are (for, I think, obvious reasons). I assume Canadiens was pulling our leg, especially going by his comments on other threads, but if he does get a genuine submission in, he'll take notAxver's place. The groups are:

GROUP 1
Axver
GibsonGirl
Liamcool
Supertracklist

GROUP 2
Screwtape
phanan
hardyharhar
notAxver

How does that sound?

I really like the groupings. I probably would have come up with the same thing. I wouldn't mind one match-up per thread if they were 24 hour polls (which is when the most people vote.) Then we could take the top two from each group and make the semi's and the final 48 hours.

I'd just like to issue a disclaimer that notAxver and I have reached an agreement whereby notAxver will only vote in rounds actually featuring notAxver, while I will not vote in said rounds.

Haven't started listening yet, but a :up: to the playlists I've seen. Looking forward to the newer stuff I'm not familiar with and older tunes I haven't heard in many years because I only have them on LP. (Those big round black things with grooves):confused:

Screwtape - The Hogweed made it's way to Pennsylvania somehow, and evidently has become a big problem there :ohmy: I've got a cool video somewhere of this song live, I could check around for it if you'd be interested in seeing it........I recall you mentioning it. Gabriel poiunding the tambourine at the end.

GibsonGirl - A female who listens to Van der Graaf Generator? :shocked: :bow: :rockon:

hardyharhar said:

Screwtape - The Hogweed made it's way to Pennsylvania somehow, and evidently has become a big problem there :ohmy: I've got a cool video somewhere of this song live, I could check around for it if you'd be interested in seeing it........I recall you mentioning it. Gabriel poiunding the tambourine at the end.

It is a really big problem in the northeast and northwest. What makes it so dangerous is that in forested areas you can't tell it's dangerous unless you know exactly what to look for.

The live versions were amazing. Steve Hackett's intro is amazing. :drool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGMrKRT7Hu4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDwyBWjfFaM

hardyharhar said:

GibsonGirl - A female who listens to Van der Graaf Generator? :shocked: :bow: :rockon:

Indeed. :wink: I don't listen to them half as much as I used to, though. Practically wore out my father's copy of Pawn Hearts in my early teens.

I can't wait to start listening to everyone's playlists. :up: Have to wait until I get my laptop back.

Screwtape - Thought about youtube after I posted. That's the one I have. Thanks.

It's amazing how much trivial stuff we came up with back in the day, pouring through Genesis lyrics. Suppers Ready had a bunch of agnostic dopes :drunk: reading the bible for clues. :hmm:

Axver said:

Will the next Desert Island game have 3 CDs (be 4 hours) like this game or will be the same length?

LemonMacPhisto said:
Will the next Desert Island game have 3 CDs (be 4 hours) like this game or will be the same length?

I personally favour the extension and this competition is partly intended to trial the format, but from past discussions, I expect that we will probably stick with the 160 minute time limit in the 3rd Desert Island game.

Axver said:

I personally favour the extension and this competition is partly intended to trial the format, but from past discussions, I expect that we will probably stick with the 160 minute time limit in the 3rd Desert Island game.

I'll have to get rid of 1 hour and 20 minutes of music then. Awesome.

Axver said:

You need to require MP3 uploads.

If someone can't upload and share, they can't enter.

Otherwise, lists get cursory view and a vote. Dog shit.

MrBrau1 said:

Agreed 100%. I even got a head start; my playlist is actually available elsewhere on teh internets already. :shifty:

We'll discuss the 160 vs 240 minute time limit a bit more before making a firm decision. I already have a (very provisional) 240 minute tracklist for the 3rd full installment too - precisely 240:00! I really like it too so I'd rather not change it.

It just seemed that past discussion revealed most favoured 160 minutes.

MrBrau1 said:

I actually agree. :ohmy:

I kinda agree as well. It's difficult going from player to player, especially when the tracks aren't, um, put together in order (in the download) {no offense to someone here!}. I renumbered hubby's list a hundred times. So far only heard most of the first half of Screwtapes. Part two is downloading. Downloaded GG's but haven't played it yet.

I must say, it seems to me that this tournament has some of the best constructed and most interesting playlists we've seen. I can't wait to hear all of this stuff. Looking at the tracklists is enough to make me drool. :drool:

I just started uploading mine. Send space says it'll take 7 hours. :|

Axver said:
I must say, it seems to me that this tournament has some of the best constructed and most interesting playlists we've seen. I can't wait to hear all of this stuff. Looking at the tracklists is enough to make me drool. :drool:

:up: I agree. If anything will turn Interference onto prog it's these playlists. Hopefully with all the creative ideas being thrown around on the playlists, a spark with go off in some people's heads as to what they might do with their playlist for the next game.

phanan said:

Were you trying to upload the entire list at once?

Either that, or you have a really slow computer...

293MB file at once.

I do have slow uploads though, because Australian Internet sucks and you have to pay through the nose to have good upload speeds. My downloads are normally 55KB/sec, but I can only achieve 12KB/sec uploads. If I want 55KB/sec up, I think I'll have to fork out another $20 a month, and I don't value fast uploads that much.

Hey, Screwtape, have you sent me your material for the bonus 30 minutes? Because I can't seem to find it. Oh, and please, no Emerson, Lake, and Palmer! I already have three tracks by them in the Supertracklist. Might also be a good idea to avoid Roxy Music and Porcupine Tree too, as they both appear twice.

I'm trying to make the list now and we're falling short of the time limit. If I can get 30 minutes from Screwtape, we should be OK though. I won't be able to start the game until we have a complete Supertracklist, though, I'm afraid it may be a touch rushed in its order. That said, despite a few multiple appearances, it may just end up being the most sonically diverse tracklist of the lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom