Desert Island 2.5: Prog Island Album Game Rules and Sign-up Thread - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2007, 04:32 PM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:25 AM
I don't have any pro-longed silence parts myself, I was just curious about that, given how if there is a hidden song at the end of a given track, that could be edited out.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:40 PM   #92
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:25 AM
I must say I got to hear some Marillion today while working - 'Misplaced Childhood' CD, various tracks. It's been so long

Only listened/liked the first 3 albums. Saw Marillion twice in the 80s with Fish. Once at the Roxy in Hollywood and then again at a theater in Beverly Hills. I think I had the 4th row. I remember Fish walking off the stage down an aisle in the audience (singing, not pissed off or anything).

Old 05-18-2007, 08:11 PM   #93
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:25 PM
Actually, there can be some editing. Remember, we're going by official runtimes here. Now, sometimes you've just got to deal with these imperfections because that's how it was made, but if your copy is a bit dodgy and includes a fade-out from a previous track or an extended gap of silence that actually shouldn't be there in the first place, you're allowed to edit it out. I really don't think this is ultimately a big deal anyway - I suspect most people don't know how to edit songs in the first place.

Personally, I have one song that has a bit of another song's outro at its very beginning, but my copy conforms to the official runtime so I can't do anything about it. So I just paired it with a song where it sounds natural anyway. I don't even notice the problem unless I listen very, very closely.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-18-2007, 11:18 PM   #94
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Actually, there can be some editing. Remember, we're going by official runtimes here. Now, sometimes you've just got to deal with these imperfections because that's how it was made, but if your copy is a bit dodgy and includes a fade-out from a previous track or an extended gap of silence that actually shouldn't be there in the first place, you're allowed to edit it out.
In this age of downloading, this is what I'm talking about. I know I have copies of albums that might not have exactly the same tracking as the official release, and sometimes I've had to fix it to make it conform. Usually we are only talking about a second at most, though, so in the grand scheme of things, it really isn't a big deal.

Other times, an album is officially released in different formats for different territories, and every now and then the tracking might not be exactly the same. Hell, we've got some U2 examples that fit that (One Tree Hill/Exit anyone?).

Luckily, I don't have any of those issues on my playlist, so that's good. But when GG mentioned Any Colour You Like earlier (even though she wasn't using that), it got me thinking. Dark Side Of The Moon has been reissued so many times over the years, and I'm certain there are subtle differences in where tracks begin and end on each version. I probably wasn't being very clear earlier on what I was getting at...
Old 05-19-2007, 12:00 AM   #95
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

I'm certain there are subtle differences in where tracks begin and end on each version.
Oh, definitely. I can personally attest to this when it comes to Pink Floyd albums. My father has a lot of the first Pink Floyd albums to come out in CD format. Most were made in the late 80s/early 90s before the remasters came out. I've had to replace some of them with reissues due to scratches and whatnot. They are all completely different. The biggest difference of all comes with The Final Cut. On my father's copy, the title track begins with "and still the dark stain spreads between their shoulder blades" - a fourty second section that isn't supposed to be there! My 2004 remaster has that bit tacked onto the end of Southampton Dock where it is supposed to be. There are similar issues with the old Wish You Were Here CD and the remastered version. So depending on which copy you have, the "official" time listings can differ tremendously.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:01 AM   #96
Blue Crack Addict

That's a huge screwup with The Final Cut. I don't think my old version ever did that, but it did have a split second of the ending of Southampton Dock on it, whereas on the remaster, they fixed it so The Final Cut starts nice and clean with the piano.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:02 PM   #97
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:25 AM
Whoever has The Court of the Crimson King might get my vote.

Or Roundabout.

Or One of These Days.

I'm definitely going to listen to these playlists, I've been kind of wanting an intro to listening to some good prog rock.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:55 PM   #98
Blue Crack Addict

The Court Of The Crimson King is on mine.

I have most of the big classic prog acts (Yes, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Genesis, etc.) on mine, mixed in with newer material and the occasional song from a totally different progressive tangent.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:12 PM   #99
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:25 AM
I'm not as knowledgeable about Prog Rock as I would like to be. The only bands I'm familiar with are Floyd (of course), some Genesis (mostly the pop-y Phil Collins one ), 1 song by King Crimson, 1 by Moody Blues, Dream Theater and a number of artists. So I'm definitely looking forward to downloading lots of good music and expanding my horizons.

edit: Oh.. and a few hits by Rush! And I'm probably forgetting some other bands but nothing major.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:30 PM   #100
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
I'm glad that so many people are willing to try out Prog rock.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:47 PM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

edit: Oh.. and a few hits by Rush!
Finally! I was wondering when they'd get a mention. Rush could very well have the best drummer in the universe, and one of the best bassists. Plus, they're Canadian, and Canadians are very progressive by nature.

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
I'm not as knowledgeable about Prog Rock as I would like to be.
Me, too! But I'm open to learning. Aside from PF, and two Rush albums, most of my tastes could be classified as regressive
Old 05-19-2007, 02:54 PM   #102
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil
Plus, they're Canadian, and Canadians are very progressive by nature.
Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil
most of my tastes could be classified as regressive
Old 05-19-2007, 05:11 PM   #103
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:25 PM
I can't wait for this. I've been really enjoying what I've heard so far that you guys have referred to as prog so I can't wait to hear entire lists
Old 05-19-2007, 10:18 PM   #104
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Axver, I was thinking that two weeks is a long time for people to wait for prog so what do you think about taking the first four entries and sending them out a little before the deadline? That would give listeners more time to take in the playlists and begin the conversion of B&C into a prog forum a little sooner.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:30 PM   #105
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:25 PM
That could be a good idea, though personally, I'm still tinkering with the order of my playlist.

Also, do we have a better site for uploads than save file?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
desert island