Desert Island 2.5: Prog Island Album Game Rules and Sign-up Thread - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2007, 02:00 AM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

I have only heard of Utopia up to this point, including from my own father who saw them live (he commented that Rundgren's guitar playing was stellar). I agree that Zen Archer is pretty prog, as is Breathless. (I'm starting to see how broad prog actually is...I think even Funkadelic could qualify [another artist I adore] ) Rundgren made it on to my list for the next Desert Island game, but due to lack of time I could only fit I Saw The Light.

On the Focus front, I'm just skipping around. I loved the shredding guitar in Hocus Pocus, Harem has a great vibe, but I especially loved Janis; the bass line is killer and the flute compliments it surprisingly well.
Wait until you hear my playlist. Todd Rundgren's guitar playing with Utopia will blow you away. His work on Wizard and Todd are only the tip of the iceberg.

As for Focus, you should download the live album too. They were one of the best live acts from a musical stand point back then.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:20 AM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Maybe it would be neat to compile bonus tracks from the contestants and send them out with the entries. Great idea or terrible idea, Axver?

Old 05-18-2007, 02:26 AM   #63
The Male

Local Time: 04:23 AM
I found out something very sad the other day.

My copy of Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is all screwed up. Time to shell out $22 for a new copy.

Oh well, I hope the liner notes are killer at least.

Now.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:32 AM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Genesis cover art and liner notes are some of the hidden gems of prog rock.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:34 AM   #65
The Male

I just want to hear Carpet Crawlers again soon.

Now.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:35 AM   #66
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
Maybe it would be neat to compile bonus tracks from the contestants and send them out with the entries. Great idea or terrible idea, Axver?
Isn't that just flouting the time limit rule?

But yeah, that could be cool.

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
I found out something very sad the other day.

My copy of Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is all screwed up. Time to shell out $22 for a new copy.

Oh well, I hope the liner notes are killer at least.
Aren't there a whole set of Genesis remasters coming out sometime this year? If the remastered Lamb isn't out yet, I'd wait until it does come out before buying a new copy if I were you.

Though I'm not really up with the play on what Genesis albums have and haven't been remastered yet. I just recall reading a couple of months ago that all the albums are being remastered in conjunction with the band's reunion or something along those lines.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-18-2007, 02:37 AM   #67
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Aren't there a whole set of Genesis remasters coming out sometime this year? If the remastered Lamb isn't out yet, I'd wait until it does come out before buying a new copy if I were you.

Though I'm not really up with the play on what Genesis albums have and haven't been remastered yet. I just recall reading a couple of months ago that all the albums are being remastered in conjunction with the band's reunion or something along those lines.
(!) Ah, yes, you would be correct. I read earlier this evening on wikipedia about a Foxtrot remaster, so I suppose it's only logical that there would be one for LLDOB as well. I think it could be an SACD hybrid.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:44 AM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Isn't that just flouting the time limit rule?

But yeah, that could be cool.

With the bonus tracks, maybe you wouldn't know who submitted them?

Or...the sub-genres of Prog could each be represented by some bonus tracks. Sort of a Prog rock road map.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:51 AM   #69
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:23 AM
Hubby (who needs to register ) asked if he used Supper's Ready, could he break it up and just use part of it?

\hates being a secretary relaying questions
Old 05-18-2007, 02:55 AM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64
Hubby (who needs to register ) asked if he used Supper's Ready, could he break it up and just use part of it?

\hates being a secretary relaying questions
Unfortunately, no. It has always been released as a single track.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:56 AM   #71
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:23 PM
Quote:

With the bonus tracks, maybe you wouldn't know who submitted them?

Or...the sub-genres of Prog could each be represented by some bonus tracks. Sort of a Prog rock road map.
Hmm. We could do something like that. Or if we don't get an eighth contestant, maybe we can tell notAxver to go to hell and make an eighth playlist where each contestant submits some "bonus tracks" and we make them into a full playlist?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-18-2007, 02:59 AM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Hmm. We could do something like that. Or if we don't get an eighth contestant, maybe we can tell notAxver to go to hell and make an eighth playlist where each contestant submits some "bonus tracks" and we make them into a full playlist?
Well, only if notAxver agrees. It would interesting to see if what we discard ends up beating us.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:00 AM   #73
The Fly

Local Time: 12:23 PM
Quote:
Or if we don't get an eighth contestant, maybe we can tell notAxver to go to hell
I'm coming to poison your dinner.

I've got an amazing playlist of 10 songs that runs for 6 hours 10 minutes. It will win.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:03 AM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by notAxver

I'm coming to poison your dinner.

I've got an amazing playlist of 10 songs that runs for 6 hours 10 minutes. It will win.
Aww...so you're our Larry.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:04 AM   #75
The Fly

Local Time: 12:23 PM
Quote:

Aww...so you're our Larry.
Anti-Larry. If Larry had made a 6 hour 10 minute playlist, it would have 70 songs, 40 by Westlife.

Tags
desert island