Desert Island 2.5: Prog Island Album Game Rules and Sign-up Thread - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2007, 04:24 AM   #211
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:57 PM
Firstly and most importantly: I'm extending the deadline to 7pm, 4 June 2007 Aussie eastern time (that's 9am GMT, 5am US eastern time). I have to do this because I can't guarantee at all that I'll be around the next few days due to family visiting and lengthy essays to write, and I don't want to be absent like I was at the start of the last tournament. I'm sure we'd all still be OK with the current deadline, but I don't want a few days to lapse before I get things underway. This also means those of you not quite ready needn't rush so much.

Regarding the 30 minute contribution, I'm cool if you go slightly over. Our six contributions will only get us to three hours as it is. But PLEASE GET THESE IN BY THE ORIGINAL DEADLINE if at all possible! I need time to put the tracklisting together. I may put out a request for more material if I find myself at a loose end.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-31-2007, 04:30 AM   #212
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Firstly and most importantly: I'm extending the deadline to 7pm, 4 June 2007 Aussie eastern time (that's 9am GMT, 5am US eastern time). I have to do this because I can't guarantee at all that I'll be around the next few days due to family visiting and lengthy essays to write, and I don't want to be absent like I was at the start of the last tournament. I'm sure we'd all still be OK with the current deadline, but I don't want a few days to lapse before I get things underway. This also means those of you not quite ready needn't rush so much.

Regarding the 30 minute contribution, I'm cool if you go slightly over. Our six contributions will only get us to three hours as it is. But PLEASE GET THESE IN BY THE ORIGINAL DEADLINE if at all possible! I need time to put the tracklisting together. I may put out a request for more material if I find myself at a loose end.
With the deadline being pushed back can I send out the playlists/links that we have now? We were originally going to do that if had a couple earlier in the week but with a delay of a couple days why not do that now?

Old 05-31-2007, 04:38 AM   #213
Vocal parasite

Also we really need to work out how voting will go. I decided to make this a separate post to keep it distinct from what's in the last one.

I've made our groups and hope Screwtape doesn't object - I feel these are fair, and I am completely unwilling to alter where I, notAxver, and the Supertracklist are (for, I think, obvious reasons). I assume Canadiens was pulling our leg, especially going by his comments on other threads, but if he does get a genuine submission in, he'll take notAxver's place. The groups are:

GROUP 1
Axver
GibsonGirl
Liamcool
Supertracklist

GROUP 2
Screwtape
phanan
hardyharhar
notAxver

As for the threads, how will they work? Each person faces every other person in their group, and I wanted to have all of their matches in one thread, so that each group had only three threads and things were done quickly. For example, in Group 1, thread one would have been me vs GG, Liam, and the Supertracklist; thread two would have been GG vs Liam and the Supertracklist; thread three would have been Liam vs the Supertracklist; thus all possible match-ups would have been done. However, I feel that would create overly lengthy threads, especially the first one. So shall each match-up be done separately? That will require six threads per group, twelve overall. For example, group 2:

Thread 1: Screwtape vs phanan
Thread 2: Screwtape vs hardyharhar
Thread 3: Screwtape vs notAxver
Thread 4: phanan vs hardyharhar
Thread 5: phanan vs notAxver
Thread 6: hardyharhar vs notAxver

How does that sound?

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-31-2007, 04:39 AM   #214
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
With the deadline being pushed back can I send out the playlists/links that we have now? We were originally going to do that if had a couple earlier in the week but with a delay of a couple days why not do that now?
Go for it.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-31-2007, 04:49 AM   #215
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Also we really need to work out how voting will go. I decided to make this a separate post to keep it distinct from what's in the last one.

I've made our groups and hope Screwtape doesn't object - I feel these are fair, and I am completely unwilling to alter where I, notAxver, and the Supertracklist are (for, I think, obvious reasons). I assume Canadiens was pulling our leg, especially going by his comments on other threads, but if he does get a genuine submission in, he'll take notAxver's place. The groups are:

GROUP 1
Axver
GibsonGirl
Liamcool
Supertracklist

GROUP 2
Screwtape
phanan
hardyharhar
notAxver

How does that sound?
I really like the groupings. I probably would have come up with the same thing. I wouldn't mind one match-up per thread if they were 24 hour polls (which is when the most people vote.) Then we could take the top two from each group and make the semi's and the final 48 hours.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:07 AM   #216
Vocal parasite

I was thinking doing just 24 hours too. That'd work well.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-31-2007, 06:10 AM   #217
The Fly

Local Time: 10:57 AM
Fuck, I win. 236 minutes, 24 seconds ... SEVEN TRACKS.

Oh yeah.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:13 AM   #218
Vocal parasite

I'd just like to issue a disclaimer that notAxver and I have reached an agreement whereby notAxver will only vote in rounds actually featuring notAxver, while I will not vote in said rounds.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-31-2007, 11:17 AM   #219
Blue Crack Addict

I'm done. I just have to upload now.

Oh, and I have to do the 30 minute thing.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:26 AM   #220
Blue Crack Addict

I've begun this wonderful musical journey today. I'm listening to Screwtape's playlist.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:07 PM   #221
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:57 AM
Haven't started listening yet, but a to the playlists I've seen. Looking forward to the newer stuff I'm not familiar with and older tunes I haven't heard in many years because I only have them on LP. (Those big round black things with grooves)

Screwtape - The Hogweed made it's way to Pennsylvania somehow, and evidently has become a big problem there I've got a cool video somewhere of this song live, I could check around for it if you'd be interested in seeing it........I recall you mentioning it. Gabriel poiunding the tambourine at the end.

GibsonGirl - A female who listens to Van der Graaf Generator?
Old 06-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #222
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by hardyharhar

Screwtape - The Hogweed made it's way to Pennsylvania somehow, and evidently has become a big problem there I've got a cool video somewhere of this song live, I could check around for it if you'd be interested in seeing it........I recall you mentioning it. Gabriel poiunding the tambourine at the end.
It is a really big problem in the northeast and northwest. What makes it so dangerous is that in forested areas you can't tell it's dangerous unless you know exactly what to look for.

The live versions were amazing. Steve Hackett's intro is amazing.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:41 PM   #223
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by hardyharhar

GibsonGirl - A female who listens to Van der Graaf Generator?
Indeed. I don't listen to them half as much as I used to, though. Practically wore out my father's copy of Pawn Hearts in my early teens.

I can't wait to start listening to everyone's playlists. Have to wait until I get my laptop back.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:50 PM   #224
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:57 AM
Screwtape - Thought about youtube after I posted. That's the one I have. Thanks.

It's amazing how much trivial stuff we came up with back in the day, pouring through Genesis lyrics. Suppers Ready had a bunch of agnostic dopes reading the bible for clues.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:37 AM   #225
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:57 AM
Quote:

Will the next Desert Island game have 3 CDs (be 4 hours) like this game or will be the same length?

Tags
desert island