Desert Island 2.5: Prog Island Album Game Rules and Sign-up Thread - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2007, 09:21 AM   #166
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:40 PM
I could have just said "right, that's it", and been done with this tracklist, but nooo, here I am, agonising over nearly 15 minutes because I feel the song 299 796 km/s by In The Woods... could be replaced by something more prog-y, and I'm really peeved that I've omitted modern Eastern European prog bands like Riverside and Indukti. In The Woods... are really a more sprawling, atmospheric avantgarde metal kind of band, though the Omnio album does fit under the prog banner and I highly recommend it as a great work of art. It will definitely make those of you who think "Ick, Metallica? Slayer? Cannibal Corpse?" when you hear 'metal' completely reconsider every idea you have about the genre.

Also, I'd just like to say that I really think the eighth position should be taken by a combined tracklist. Come on, people, this is PROG. What is one thing prog musicians do all the time? They play in odd time signatures like 7/8, 17/16, and Pi/e; they can play more notes in 10 seconds than The Edge plays in an entire concert; and THEY FORM SUPERGROUPS. So in homage to this, we prog fans should do a "supertracklist" to take the eighth spot.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-24-2007, 02:07 PM   #167
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:40 AM
The SuperGroup tracklist?

I would have to say if we did that, it shouldn't have any songs that are on any of our lists, so it is completely different.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:59 PM   #168
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:40 AM
I like the SuperGroup idea. It would probably end up being more interesting than any of the individual lists

And it allows us to submit a few things that we couldn't find space for
Old 05-24-2007, 06:31 PM   #169
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
The SuperGroup tracklist?

I would have to say if we did that, it shouldn't have any songs that are on any of our lists, so it is completely different.
That's what we were thinking.

I wonder if Axver and I should make 45 minute parts to bring the SuperGroup playlist to 4 hours.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:40 PM   #170
Blue Crack Addict

I figured that was the case, but just wanted to be sure. We'd probably have to create the list after everyone submitted their own first so we know what songs are not used.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:01 PM   #171
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
I figured that was the case, but just wanted to be sure. We'd probably have to create the list after everyone submitted their own first so we know what songs are not used.
My idea is that everyone sends in their 30 minute part before the deadline and if there are any repeats we ask them for a different song. When you are making it try to compose it out of songs that most people don't know or wouldn't normally throw on their playlist.

Speaking of repeats, I wonder how many songs will appear multiple times.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:38 PM   #172
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
My idea is that everyone sends in their 30 minute part before the deadline and if there are any repeats we ask them for a different song. When you are making it try to compose it out of songs that most people don't know or wouldn't normally throw on their playlist.

Speaking of repeats, I wonder how many songs will appear multiple times.
Yep, that sounds good. Also, I'd like it if, when people submit their 30 minutes, they send MP3s of the songs as well so that I can fit everything together cohesively.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-25-2007, 12:01 PM   #173
Blue Crack Addict

I think I'm just about done with this. A good mix of songs that people will know with songs that most won't, plus some that are well-known but might be surprising to find on there.

Now I just have to find the time to do links.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:27 PM   #174
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

My list is almost exclusively old school because that's what I grew up with and I'm not familiar enough with newer stuff to include them. But I agree with Axver about metal, you can easily include the black metal bands like Emperor, Cradle of Filth, etc.... They have more in common with prog than they would like to admit, as do the more melodic groups like Nightwish.

Should we send Axver our list for the 30 minute supergroup so he can check for repeats, then send off the mp3's? I don't think I would have more than 3 tracks.

This has definitely been fun though, got to hear a lot of stuff I haven't heard in a long time. Some of it probably wouldn't be considered progressive now.

Now if I can just find the time for Lila to do the links
Old 05-25-2007, 01:32 PM   #175
Blue Crack Distributor

Well someone needs to put their list in order so SOMEONE can spend her days and nights uploading 4 hours of music.

...just taking some time on
Old 05-25-2007, 01:59 PM   #176
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by hardyharhar
Should we send Axver our list for the 30 minute supergroup so he can check for repeats, then send off the mp3's? I don't think I would have more than 3 tracks.

This has definitely been fun though, got to hear a lot of stuff I haven't heard in a long time. Some of it probably wouldn't be considered progressive now.

Now if I can just find the time for Lila to do the links
Send the 30 minute list to Axver and I preferably with the mp3's. In case someone sends in their main playlist right at the deadline we wouldn't have to wait for mp3's if nothing needed change in the first place.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:21 PM   #177
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Sounds like a plan. Anyone see where Lila went?
Old 05-25-2007, 02:31 PM   #178
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 05-26-2007, 01:20 AM   #179
Blue Crack Addict

I love your signature, Lila. That interview was classic.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:22 AM   #180
Blue Crack Distributor

Thanks - I stole it from a post I glanced at on a Colbert forum.

Tags
desert island