Desert Island 2.5: Prog Island Album Game Master List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Welcome to the B&C Prog Island Album Game! This competition is essentially edition 2.5 of the Desert Island Album Game, serving as a mini-tournament bridging the gap between the second and third editions, and we are trialling some new format ideas. This tournament alters the basic premise of the game a little. Instead of being stranded on a desert island and seeking the best tracklist to enjoy while there, we're heading off to Prog Island to savour the best that the prog genre has to offer. There is a strong emphasis in this competition not just on good individual songs, but on creating a cohesive work of musical art.

Oh, and what the hell is prog? "Prog" is an abbreviation that refers to progressive rock, and more recently, progressive metal too. It is a hard genre to precisely define, but involves a rejection of basic musical norms in favour of uncommon musical styles, structures, and ideas; this is rarely music you hear on the radio. For more, see Wikipedia's article.

So, here are our tracklists, in order of their first heat. The very first clash will begin on Monday, 11 June 2007 - though that will likely be on Sunday in the US due to timezone differences. Below the tracklists is the tournament's format.

If you are not familiar with the songs, leave your e-mail address. We have links! :)

Forum name: Axver

Mycover.png

Axver writes: An announcement is being made in sound: the ties that bind music and the shackles that constrain artistic expression have fallen away. My tracklist's purpose is to demonstrate that reality. It seeks to explore music as a means of expression using progressive rock as the vehicle. It is an arrangement of moods and atmospheres that sometimes complement and sometimes contradict; it is a process to stimulate the senses and captivate the imagination with ideas fully realised; it is an overview of how times and eras are both distinct and inextricably linked. Travelling from the birth of prog with King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man to the present day's musical eloquence in Porcupine Tree's Anesthetize, An Announcement Is Being Made In Sound showcases the many faces of prog: technical proficiency of unparalleled calibre (Spiral Architect's Purpose), political awareness (Magellan's Estadium Nacional), soaring majesty (Utopia's Overture), and emotional depth and sincerity (Transatlantic's Stranger In Your Soul). It even achieves a festive touch, courtesy of Trans-Siberian Orchestra's unique approach. And beyond musical and thematic depth, there is an underlying geographic depth: New Zealand's Split Enz, Bahrain's Osiris, Norway's Spiral Architect and Circus Maximus, and the Anglo-Israeli Blackfield collaboration. If prog rock has been there, an announcement was made in sound. Listen and savour it.

My tracklist decisions are explained in more detail here for anyone interested: http://axver.livejournal.com/368156.html

An Announcement Is Being Made In Sound
1. Frost* - "Hyperventilate" - Milliontown (7:31)
2. Utopia - "Overture: Mountaintop and Sunrise/Communion With The Sun" - Ra (6:54)
3. Marillion - "Assassing" - Fugazi (7:02)
4. Opeth - "Closure" - Damnation (5:15)
5. IQ - "You Never Will" - Dark Matter (4:54)
6. Under The Sun - "Gardens Of Autumn" - Under The Sun (5:03)
7. Pineapple Thief - "Kid Chameleon" - 137 (6:56)
8. Rush - "Red Barchetta" - Moving Pictures (6:10)
9. Queen - "Ogre Battle" - Queen II (4:08)
10. Day Shift - "The Alternative Magpie" - Imaginary Menagerie (8:05)
11. Circus Maximus - "Glory Of The Empire" - The 1st Chapter (10:27)
12. Symphony X - "The Accolade" - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy (9:51)
13. Anathema - "Judgement" - Judgement (4:20)
14. Indukti - "Cold Inside... I" - S.U.S.A.R. (4:05)
15. Riverside - "The Curtain Falls" - Out Of Myself (7:59)
16. Pink Floyd - "Sorrow" - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason (8:49)
17. King Crimson - "21st Century Schizoid Man" - In The Court Of The Crimson King (7:21)
18. Spiral Architect - "Purpose" - A Gathering (6:59)
19. Pure Reason Revolution - "The Intention Craft" - The Intention Craft single (4:13)
20. Camel - "Rhayader" - The Snow Goose (3:02)
21. Magellan - "Estadium Nacional" - Impending Ascension (11:16)
22. Osiris - "Fantasy" - Osiris (6:00)
23. Spock's Beard - "Walking On The Wind" - Beware Of Darkness (9:09)
24. Blackfield - "Miss U" - Blackfield II (4:13)
25. Neal Morse - "Where The Streets Have No Name" - One (Special Edition) (5:48)
26. Trans-Siberian Orchestra - "Christmas Eve / Sarajevo 12/24" - Christmas Eve And Other Stories (3:25)
27. Subterranean Masquerade - "Kind Of A Blur" - Suspended Animation (3:12)
28. Split Enz - "Time For A Change" - Second Thoughts (Remastered) (4:04)
29. Passengers - "Always Forever Now" - Original Soundtracks No. 1 (6:23)
30. Porcupine Tree - "Anesthetize" - Fear Of A Blank Planet (17:42)
31. Dream Theater - "Trial Of Tears" - Falling Into Infinity (13:05)
32. Transatlantic - "Stranger In Your Soul" - Bridge Across Forever (26:06)
Total run time: 3 hours, 59 minutes, 27 seconds (239:27)

Forum name: GibsonGirl

GG writes: I must have gone through at least twenty different ideas and track combinations before eventually settling on this playlist. I wanted to include a few songs with progressive elements that wouldn't scare away anyone at Interference trying prog for the first time, as well as songs that would appeal to seasoned fans of the genre. As a result, my list is a bit 'mainstream' at times (if you could use that word to describe prog, ha) with one or two songs that are not strictly progressive but are certainly influenced by it. And what would a prog competition be without a concept? I started off with Pink Floyd's "Echoes" for a reason - some songs (but not all, for the sake of variety) subtly 'echo' other songs on the playlist. Some of these 'echoes' are more obvious (e.g. "Echoes" and "The Bright Ambassadors Of Morning" share a lyric in common) and others are more obscure (e.g. there is a small vocal melody in "Let It Grow" that sounds rather similar to one in "Dogs".) I did this to create an extra sense of cohesion between artists who are all very different. There were four songs that I simply had to leave off, and those have gone into my 30 minute
contribution for the Supertracklist. Check out the long Eloy suite for some fantastic music (just try to ignore the horrible German accent on the vocals)
and "It's A Long Road" from Supertramp's incredibly under-rated debut album. Hope you enjoy it. :)

1. Pink Floyd - "Echoes" - Meddle (23:28)
2. Nektar - "Let It Grow (Radio Promo)" - Remember The Future (3:51)
3. Genesis - "Firth Of Fifth" - Selling England By The Pound (9:37)
4. Kayak - "Reason For It All" - See See The Sun (6:30)
5. Yes - "Siberian Khatru" - Close To The Edge (9:00)
6. Utopia - "Hiroshima" - Ra (7:15)
7. Gentle Giant - "Three Friends" - Three Friends (5:26)
8. Änglagård - "Jordrök" - Hybris (11:11)
9. Camel - "Nimrodel/The Procession/The White Rider" (9:17)
10. Supertramp - "School - Crime Of The Century" (5:34)
11. Kayak - "Trust In The Machine" - Kayak (8:18)
12. Van Der Graaf Generator - "Man-Erg" - Pawn Hearts (10:21)
13. Pink Floyd - "Dogs" - Animals (17:08)
14. Roger Waters - "4:50 AM (Go Fishing)" - The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking (6:59)
15. David Gilmour - "Murder" - About Face (4:59)
16. King Crimson - "One More Red Nightmare" - Red (7:07)
17. Queen - "Bicycle Race" - Jazz (3:02)
18. Rush - "Beneath, Between And Behind" - Fly By Night (3:04)
19. David Sylvian & Robert Fripp - "20th Century Dreaming (A Shaman's Song)" - The First Day (11:53)
20. Passengers - "United Colours" - Original Soundtracks 1 (5:30)
21. Ozric Tentacles - "Jurassic Shift" - Jurassic Shift (11:04)
22. Richard Wright - "Along The Shoreline" - Broken China (4:36)
23. Pure Reason Revolution - "The Bright Ambassadors Of Morning" - The Dark Third (11:56)
24. Porcupine Tree - "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" - Deadwing (12:02)
25. Marillion - "Chelsea Monday" - Script For A Jester's Tear (8:17)
26. Ayreon - "Time Beyond Time" - Into The Electric Castle (6:04)
27. Porcupine Tree - "Radioactive Toy" - On The Sunday Of Life (10:00)
28. Anathema - "One Last Goodbye" - Judgement (5:23)

Total runtime: 03:58:52

Forum name: Liamcool

LP one

1) Marillion - "Psuedo Silk Kimono" - Misplaced Childhood (2:14)
2) Pink Floyd - "Any Colour You Like" - Dark Side Of The Moon (3:25)
3) Marillion - "Hooks In You" - Season's End (2:59)
4) Anathema - "Don't Look Too Far" - Judgement (4:57)
5) Opeth - "Requiem" - Orchid (1:11)
6) Mike Oldfield - "Tubular Bells Part One" - Tubular Bells (25:36)

LP two

1) Phish - "Down With Disease" - Live Phish Volume 15 (10:17)
2) Dream Theater - "The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun" - When Dream And Day Unite (8:04)
3) Pink Floyd - "Echoes" - Meddle (23:28)

LP three

1) Derek Sherinian - "God Of War" - Mythology (5:16)
2) Pink Floyd - "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast" - Atom Heart Mother (13:00)
3) Ayreon - "Day Twenty: Confrontation" - The Human Equation (7:02)
4) Iron Maiden - "Only The Good Die Young" - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (4:45)
5) Rush - "Vital Signs" - Moving Pictures (4:43)

LP four

1) Rush - "Freewill" - Permanent Waves (5:01)
2) Frank Zappa - "Plastic People" - Absolutely Free (3:42)
3) Pink Floyd - "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun" - Ummagumma (9:12)
4) Porcupine Tree - "Fear Of A Blank Planet" - Fear Of A Blank Planet (7:28)
5) Dream Theater - "Disappear" - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (6:44)
6) Marillion - "Forgotten Sons" - Script For A Jester's Tear (8:23)

Forum Supertracklist

What is one thing prog musicians do all the time? They play in odd time signatures like 7/8, 17/16, and Pi/e; they can play more notes in 10 seconds than The Edge plays in an entire concert; and THEY FORM SUPERGROUPS. So in homage to this, each contestant in the tournament has submitted tracks for a combined "Supertracklist". I wonder if anyone can tell who submitted what.

1. Spock's Beard - "Day For Night" - Day For Night (7:34)
2. Porcupine Tree - "Buying New Soul" - Recordings (10:27)
3. Marillion - "Script For A Jester's Tear" - Script For A Jester's Tear (8:42)
4. Emerson, Lake and Palmer - "Fugue" - Trilogy (1:56)
5. Emerson, Lake and Palmer - "The Endless Enigma, Part 2" - Trilogy (2:02)
6. Fairfield Parlour - "Drummer Boy Of Shiloh" - From Home To Home (3:16)
7. Supertramp - "It's A Long Road" - Supertramp (5:34)
8. Caravan - "In The Land Of Grey And Pink" - In The Land Of Grey And Pink (5:01)
9. Gravy Train - "Messenger" - A Ballad Of A Peaceful Man (5:57)
10. Formula Tre - "Rapsodia Di Radius" - La Grande Casa
11. Roxy Music - "Out Of The Blue" - Country Life
12. Aphrodite's Child - "The System/Babylon" - Supernatural Fairy Tales (3:13)
13. Dredg - "Ode To The Sun" - Catch Without Arms (4:12)
14. The Mars Volta - "Eriatarka" - De-loused In The Comatorium (6:21)
15. Wolverine - "And She Slowly Dies" - Still (7:40)
16. Pure Reason Revolution - "Victorious Cupid" - Online single (3:37)
17. Oceansize - "A Homage To A Shame" - Everyone Into Position (5:52)
18. Dream Theater - "The Glass Prison" - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (13:51)
19. Dark Suns - "The Euphoric Sense" - Existence (5:54)
20. Focus - "Hocus Pocus" - Moving Waves (6:43)
21. Procol Harum - "Repent Walpurgis" - Procol Harum (5:04)
22. Chroma Key - "Undertow" - Dead Air For Radios (4:48)
23. Genesis - "The Colony Of Slippermen" - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (8:13)
24. Pink Floyd - "Careful With That Axe, Eugene" - Careful With That Axe, Eugene single (5:44)
25. Utopia - "Caravan" - Adventures In Utopia (7:01)
26. Renaissance - "The Vultures Fly High" (3:07)
27. Earth & Fire - "Circus" - Atlantis (6:13)
28. Emerson, Lake and Palmer - "Jerusalem" - Brain Salad Surgery (2:44)
29. Focus - "Hamburger Concerto" - Hamburger Concerto (20:19)
30. Starcastle - "Lady Of The Lake" - Lady Of The Lake (10:27)
31. Queen - "Father To Son" - Queen II (6:14)
32. Eloy - "The Apocalypse" - Silent Cries And Mighty Echoes (14:58)
33. In The Woods... - "299 796 km/s" - Omnio (14:46)
34. Porcupine Tree - "Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape" - Staircase Infinities (9:36)
Total runtime: 3:57:14

Forum name: Screwtape2

blackforestbh7.png

Screwtape writes: My entry is called The Black Forest: Letters To My Son From Namibia, South Africa And The Land Of The Zulu. In short, The Black Forest. It is from the perspective of a young boy who is reading letters sent by his father who is in the military in Africa. The father is trying to explain what he is seeing in ways that his young son can understand. Unfortunately, there is no way to explain the need for suffering and pain to a child. In the end, the father realizes this and hopes his son carries this epiphany with him for the rest of his life. I wanted it to feel like a fairy tale book written by a disillusioned man in a schizophrenic world. The ability to use multiple artists allowed me to create the sense of long suites broken apart and scattered through out the playlist like broken thoughts in the father’s letters. I hope you enjoy my little playlist. In a world where we kill our heroes and our myths our last hope is that there is still a place where fairy tales exist.

The Black Forest
1. Roger Waters- “It’s A Miracle” –In The Flesh Live (8:11)
2. Pure Reason Revolution- “The Bright Ambassadors Of Morning” –The Dark Third (11:56)
3. Passengers- “Theme From Swan” –Original Soundtrack Vol. 1 (3:24)
4. Pink Floyd- “Dogs” –Animals (17:08)
5. The Alan Parsons Project- “(The System Of) Doctor Tarr And Professor Fether” - Tales Of Mystery & Imagination (4:20)
6. Utopia- “Overture: Mountaintop and Sunrise/Communion With the Sun” –Ra (6:54)
7. Yes- “Starship Trooper” –Yesstory (9:25)
8. Camel- “Earthrise” –Mirage (6:42)
9. Wishbone Ash- “Sorrel” –Wishbone 4 (5:01)
10. Renaissance- “The Black Flame” - Tales of 1001 Nights, Vol. 1 (6:26)
11. Genesis- “The Return of the Giant Hogweed” - Nursery Cryme (8:12)
12. King Crimson- “In The Court Of The King” -In The Court Of The King (9:26)
13. Focus- “Le Cathedral Strasburg” –Hamburger Concerto (5:03)
14. Queen- “The Prophet’s Song” –A Night At The Opera (8:21)
15. Porcupine Tree- “Sleep Together” - Fear Of A Blank Planet (7:28)
16. Utopia- “Windows” - Oops! Wrong Planet (4:21)
17. The Alan Parsons Project- “The Fall Of The House Of Usher: I. Prelude” - Tales Of Mystery & Imagination (7:02)
18. Todd Rundgren- “Initiation” –Initiation (7:03)
19. Utopia- “The Ikon” –Todd Rundgren’s Utopia (30:25)
20. Yes- “Heart Of The Sunrise” –Yesstory (10:34)
21. The Moody Blues- “Candle Of Life” (4:18)
22. Pink Floyd- “The Gunner’s Dream” –The Final Cut (5:03)
23. Genesis- “Supper’s Ready” –Foxtrot (22:50)
24. Focus- “Birth” –Hamburger Concerto (7:49)
25. Pink Floyd- “Sheep” –Animals (10:20)
26. Roger Waters- “Perfect Sense (Part 1 & 2)" –Flickering Flame (7:22)

Forum name: phanan

phanan writes: When I set out to do this, I briefly considered constructing it around a certain theme, but in the end, I decided that the best theme was to present an overall snapshot of how vast the progressive rock music genre is, from its early beginnings in the late 60's to now. Consequently, a majority of the artists represented here are well-known, and a good portion of the selections will be ones that are quite familiar to most people. But it's the beauty of arranging those songs in a certain way (and mixing them in with either more obscure titles or cuts that break away from the traditional progressive vein), that tend to give them a certain musical freshness when you listen again. Let's face it - you're not going to hear Anathema and Kraftwerk back-to-back very often, but it's amazing how the two songs by these artists work so well together in this sequence (due in no small part to the major presence of the vocoder on both). Same thing with King Crimson and Can. Who knew that such a well-known epic with quite the sudden ending would work well being followed by a 3 minute tour-de-force of improvisational and experimental sounds with strange vocals. But hey, that's what progressive rock is all about, isn't it?

I have several important notes to a few of the tracks listed here. The third song is by Asia. Yes, this is the supergroup from the 80's that became a brief sensation in the corporate rock world, but by the dawn of the 1990's, this group as we knew it ceased to exist, and transformed itself into more of a progressive entity. Having only one original member during this era (Geoff Downes, the keyboardist), they took on an entirely new sound that worked on some albums and misfired on others. Their crowning achievement came in 2001 with the album Aura, a beautiful piece of work that is highlighted by "Free". Take a listen for yourself and tell me they're the same group (the original members have since reformed though, which is a shame, because they'll never match what this other version came up with at times).

There will be other selections that people unfamiliar with progressive rock may raise an eyebrow at. Electric Light Orchestra? You mean ELO? They're not prog! To be fair, they did take a turn to a more conventional rock sound as their albums progressed, but in the early 70's, they were as progressive as anyone else. There certainly weren't too many bands out there combining rock with classical music. I'd say that's progressive. And Kraftwerk are the true pioneers of electronic music, creating a unique sound never heard before. Why? Because they were progressive.

Finally, when you look at my listing, I will be indicating the original albums where the selected songs come from, because people should know where to look first if interested in hearing more. However, for the purposes of this playlist, two selections will not technically be drawn from those albums due to different edits being available, or for sound quality purposes. The first is "The Cinema Show" by Genesis. You'll find this song on the classic Selling England By The Pound album, but the version on my playlist actually comes from the Platinum Collection, which has better sound quality and a nice fade out that worked well here for sequencing purposes. Also, with ELO's "Mister Kingdom", a version from the Flashback box set was used because of the use of a fade out, whereas with the original album it's on (Eldorado), it goes right into the next song. Other than those two, everything else is the original album version.

Enjoy!

1. Porcupine Tree - "Even Less" - Recordings (14:06)
2. Dream Theater - "Metropolis, Part 1: The Miracle And The Sleeper" - Images And Words (9:32)
3. Asia - "Free" - Aura (8:12)
4. Spock's Beard - "At The End Of The Day" - V (16:29)
5. Tangerine Dream - "Cloudburst Flight" - Force Majeure (7:26)
6. Genesis - "The Cinema Show" - Selling England By The Pound (10:49)
7. Kansas - "The Pinnacle" - Masque (9:37)
8. Electric Light Orchestra - "Mister Kingdom" - Eldorado (5:08)
9. King Crimson - "The Court Of The Crimson King" - In The Court Of The Crimson King (9:26)
10. Can - "Spoon" - Ege Bamyasi (3:04)
11. Crack The Sky - "Ice" - Crack The Sky (4:38)
12. Emerson, Lake & Palmer - "Knife Edge" - Emerson, Lake & Palmer (5:06)
13. Yes - "Starship Trooper" - The Yes Album (9:27)
14. Rush - "The Camera Eye" - Moving Pictures (10:59)
15. IQ - "Failsafe" - Subterranea (8:57)
16. Pure Reason Revolution - "The Twyncyn/Trembling Willows" - The Dark Third (7:16)
17. Porcupine Tree - "Anesthetize" - Fear Of A Blank Planet (17:45)
18. Anathema - "Closer" - A Natural Disaster (6:19)
19. Kraftwerk - "Europe Endless" - Trans Europe Express (9:39)
20. Vangelis - "Pulstar" - Albedo 0.39 (5:46)
21. Pink Floyd - "Echoes" - Meddle (23:31)
22. Tangerine Dream - "Sequent C'" - Phaedra (2:17)
23. Transatlantic - "Bridge Across Forever" - Bridge Across Forever (5:33)
24. The Third Ending - "Fingerprints" - The Third Ending (28:25)

Total Time: 239:21

Forum name: hardyharhar

hardyharhar writes:
At first I thought, “easy - Genesis ‘Foxtrot’ & ‘The Lamb’, Pink Floyd ‘DSOTM’, Yes ‘Close To The Edge’, first King Crimson and a couple odd tracks. That should be 4 hours”. But that would be too easy and there were many unknown bands I could give some brief exposure to. So that’s what I did. Most of these tracks are from the first wave of progressive rock, about 1970 through mid 70’s. My main years of interest in it. Though it was never embraced by the mainstream media, it was still an exciting and experimental branch of rock music. What most people forget is that the band members were still teenagers and college age when they began. I started off with King Crimson, because with all due respect to Sgt. Pepper, psychedelics, Moody Blues, early Floyd, this album probably had more influence on the direction of the early purveyors of ‘classical rock’ like Genesis, Yes and ELP, and therefore everything to follow. The first half is mainly UK bands, where prog was initially embraced. The one glaring omission is Pink Floyd, I just don’t have any on disc. The 2nd half takes us to Europe, where Genesis, Van Der Graaf Generator and others influenced a huge movement there. The groups here are from Belgium, France, Germany, Switzerland, Holland, and Italy. Most of these bands focused on longer tracks which are more along the traditional prog lines, but I wanted to get as many less known groups in as possible, so I chose tracks that were a bit shorter in duration. All in the hopes of giving a little exposure to some bands who for whatever reason fell through the cracks. An outcome all too common for many of the early prog groups. It was tough breaking up 25 minute songs and keeping some sort of flow going, so my Genesis ‘Lamb stew’ was scrapped because after each song there was a pause, ruining any continuity I was striving for. I kept a few tracks by others where it’s obvious another song had begun, but I tried to keep that to a minimum.

I’m pretty sure I’ve committed votercide with this list, but my intention here is to give a few people who enjoy this music a chance to hear some things that are obscure and soon to be forgotten. I’m not sure I’d take all these if I was to be dropped on a desert island, but I know I’d miss them if I didn’t. 4 hours isn’t very long in the realm of progressive rock.

1. KING CRIMSON – “21st Century Schizoid Man” In The Court Of The Crimson King (7:20)
2. THE STRAWBS – “Hero & Heroine” Hero & Heroine (3:20)
3. MARILLION – “Heart Of Lothian/Wide Boy/Curtain Call” Misplaced Childhood (6:06)
4. YES – “America” Fragile (10:33)
5. STEVE HACKETT – “Ace Of Wands” Voyage Of The Acolyte (5:25)
6. GREENSLADE – “Drowning Man” Greenslade (5:50)
7. PAVLOV’S DOG – “Episode” Pampered Menial (4:03)
8. CAMEL – “Separation” Camel (3:57)
9. CARAVAN – “Grandma’s Lawn” Caravan (3:25)
10. GENESIS – “Can-Utility And The Coastliners” Foxtrot (5:47)
11. ENGLAND – “Poisoned Youth” Garden Shed (16:17)
12. EMERSON LAKE & PALMER – “Knife Edge” Emerson Lake & Palmer (5:09)
13. VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR – “Man-Erg” Pawn Hearts (10:21)
14. GRACIOUS – “What’s Come To Be” Gracious!/This Is Gracious (3:32)
15. RAW MATERIAL – “Ice Queen” Time Is… (6:44)
16. ARTHUR BROWN’S KINGDOM COME – “Gypsy” Journey (9:14)
17. SECOND HAND – “Death May Be Your Santa Claus (Reprise)” Death May Be Your Santa Claus (5:21)
18. BARCLAY JAMES HARVEST – “Medicine Man” Once Again (3:55)
19. VANGELIS – “La Mort du Loup” L’Apocalypse des Animaux (3:07)
20. TANGERINE DREAM – “Mysterious Semblance At The Strand Of Nightmares” Phaedra (9:55)
21. TAI PHONG – “Circle” Windows (5:30)
22. MACHIAVEL – “Beyond The Silence” Mechanical Moonbeams (6:11)
23. GROBSCHNITT – “Otto Pankrock” Solar Music Live (7:25)
24. SAHARA – “For All The Clowns” For All The Clowns (11:01)
25. SHYLOCK – “Le Quatrieme” Gialorgues (13:11)
26. ANGE – “Exode” Au DelaDu Delire (4:59)
27. KAYAK – “Mountain Too Rough” Royal Bed Bouncer (3:56)
28. EARTH & FIRE – “Voice From Yonder” To The World Of The Future (6:58)
29. FOCUS – “Eruption” Moving Waves (23:02)
30. LATTE E MIELE – “Introduzione” Passio Secundum Mattheum (2:20)
31. LATTE E MIELE – “Getzemani” Passio Secundum Mattheum (4:16)
32. LATTE E MIELE – “Il Processo” Passio Secundum Mattheum (1:30)
33. LE ORME – “Collage” Collage (4:49)
34. MUSEO ROSENBACH – “Degli Uomini” Zarathustra (4:07)
35. SEMIRAMIS – “Frazz” Dedicata A Frazz (5:09)
36. IL VOLO – “I Primi Respiri” Il Volo/Essere O Non Essere? (3:54)

Forum name: notAxver

notAxver writes: What do most people associate with prog? Huge sprawling epics as long as a whole month. Apparently, this is actually perceived as a negative quality. Accordingly, the point of this tracklist is to show how progressive musicians can successfully overcome limitations. These limitations are both external and internal: the former are those factors that demand short compositions, and the latter are those factors that state that long compositions can become repetitive and excessive if one becomes lazy or indulgent. The songs in this tracklisting show that some ideas simply cannot be adequately realised in 5 or even 10 minutes. To create the full artistic effect, more time, care, and attention is required, and the limitations must be discarded. Subjugation Of The Limitation is made for people who believe in music as an artform.

Subjugation Of The Limitation
1. Transatlantic - "All Of The Above" - SMPT:e (30:59)
2. Porcupine Tree - "The Sky Moves Sideways (Alternate Version)" - The Sky Moves Sideways (2004 remaster) (34:34)
3. Green Carnation - "Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness" - Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness (60:06)
4. Dream Theater - "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (live)" - Score (41:30)
5. Neal Morse - "The Door" - Sola Scriptura (29:13)
6. Incredible Expanding Mindfuck - "Gospel According To The I.E.M." - I.E.M. (12:59)
7. Spock's Beard - "The Great Nothing" - V (27:03)
Total runtime: 3 hours, 56 minutes, 24 seconds

FORMAT

The eight contestants have been divided up into two groups of four. Each contestant has a heat against each other contestant within their group. 2 points are awarded for a win, 1 for a tie, and 0 for a loss. The two top pointsgetters in each group proceed to the finals. The first round of heats will have 48 hour long rounds to allow voters to listen to the entries. All subsequent rounds will be only 24 hours long except for the grand final, which will be 48 hours long.

GROUP 1
Axver
GibsonGirl
Liamcool
Supertracklist

GROUP 2
Screwtape2
phanan
hardyharhar
notAxver

Round One (48 hours)
Axver vs GibsonGirl
Liamcool vs Supertracklist
Screwtape2 vs phanan
hardyharhar vs notAxver

Round Two (24 hours)
Axver vs Liamcool
GibsonGirl vs Supertracklist
Screwtape2 vs hardyharhar
phanan vs notAxver

Round Three (24 hours)
Axver vs Supertracklist
GibsonGirl vs Liamcool
Screwtape2 vs notAxver
phanan vs hardyharhar

Semi-finals (24 hours)
Third Place Game (24 hours)
Final (48 hours)

See you at the first heat, Axver versus GibsonGirl, on Monday! Remember, if you don't know the music, leave your e-mail address and you'll be able to get copies!

Have fun! :)

GG and Screwtape's already look awesome. :drool: 4 hours of music is too much, but I still can't wait to get started. :love:

Should our emails be posted now or in the first heat? Are the links even ready yet? :slant:

LemonMelon said:
Should our emails be posted now or in the first heat? Are the links even ready yet? :slant:

Post them now. :)

The only ones without links yet are the Supertracklist, which will be done within the next 24 hours, and Liam's tracklist.

Supertracklist is uploading now, so everyone will be able to enjoy that one soon too. Curse my slow upload speeds, though!

I encourage anyone who is interested in listening to any of these superb track lists to leave your email address so links can be sent your way ASAP. There's a lot of interesting music on here that you may find intriguing.

Now I know each submission is nearly four hours long and that's asking a lot. Thankfully, there might be songs most people already know, so when you are listening to someone's playlist and you get to a song you're familiar with, feel free to zoom through it if you feel you won't have enough time to listen all the way through. However, I'd suggest going to the end of the song instead of skipping ahead, so you can at least hear how the transition works from one song to the other. Obtaining a cohesive track listing is something we pride on with progressive rock music.

Of course, if you have plenty of time on your hands, the best listening experience would be to hear each list in full. I try to listen to one submission a day, and I'm on my third one now. It's making the work day that much more enjoyable...

I downloaded GG's links last week, no problem. Just a slight problem playing them since they are in multiple formats (sorry GG!) :reject:

I probably won't be able to listen to the playlists for a couple of weeks but could someone please send me the links anyway?

johnshortt90 [at] hotmail.com

Alright, Supertracklist is now uploaded and the links have been passed on to Screwtape to distribute. :)

We're now only waiting on Liam's stuff and that will hopefully be done in a few days.

The first round - oops, forgot to mention this in the original post - will begin sometime on Monday next week, Aussie time. That'll be Sunday evening or early Monday morning in the States.

Now done with GG, Screwtape & Phanan:up: Not sure how I could choose one over another, but I'm not too worried about that. However, I think 4 hours is probably too long. It's hard to be at the computer that long and continuity suffers when listening to the lists in small chunks. Just a thought for the next game. :wink:

I have enjoyed them more though with a slight mind alteration. Who would've known that would be the case with prog :ohmy:

I downloaded 2 playlists today, and I'll download 2 more tomorrow. My iPod can only take so much Prog at a time.

After this tourney is done, how long before the next Desert Island one?

LemonMacPhisto said:

After this tourney is done, how long before the next Desert Island one?

A couple weeks at least. I know a lot of people are pretty far on their playlists but I recommend that everyone looks at these playlists for ideas on how to make their playlists stand out. My hope would be that everyone tries to go for something special in the next game.

hardyharhar said:
How many people have participated in the previous games?

The first time 16 people.
The second time 24 people.
This time 6 people but with 8 total playlists.
Next game 16 people.

I think in total 33 different people have played including you in this game.

Thanks for the tracklists, will check them out later....will the next Desert Island use the rules for the prog island or will it be the old rule set? 4 hours of regular music will be quite a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom