depressing music?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
give all of beck's sea change album a go.

or nin's hurt.

or dr. blind by emily haines

or a soldier's tale by the good the bad and the queen

or cymbal rush by thom yorke

or bullet boy by massive attack

give those all a try and come back and let me know what you think.

please and thank you.

sea change is one of my favorite albums of all time.

i only know johnny cash's version of hurt.

and dr. blind is a really good song but the rest of that album was just ok, much prefer metric's stuff.

but i shall investigate the others.

wow. then i'll give you more recommendations. too much of my music is in this vein, i suppose...

el manana - gorillaz
da da da - broken social scene
skinny boy - amy milan
baby i - amy milan
i wanted to be wrong - rem
in time - zero 7
reservations - wilco
heart - stars

man my recommendations suck. i just can't think right now.

i'll get back to you. this thread was built for me, so i'll try hard yet.

Not sure how familiar you are with Nick Drake, but he's definitely one of the big names in the depressing-but-mellow category..

I'll throw out the indietastic line with Bright Eyes and Death Cab for Cutie. Also, Liars and Kings of Convenience.

Sea Change was going to be my suggestion. I have a hard time listening to that album straight through sometimes because of how depressing it is.

I love Ray LaMontagne. He's my favorite discovery of the last year or so. His songs deal with heavy emotional material but are beautiful, too. I like both of his albums. Trouble is the one I prefer (Jolene is my favorite song of his), but I think on the whole Til the Sun Turns Black is a little darker.

I have some live recordings of him on my computer; I'll upload a few songs for you to sample.

This is a duet he did with Damien Rice not too long ago on a French TV show. It's a cover of the BeeGees' To Love Somebody: http://www.send space.com/file/1ysbsm

This is a live version of an unreleased song called I Won't Be Around from a show last August in Saratoga, NY. The sound quality isn't great, but it's a pretty song and the best performance of it that I have. I'm hoping it will be on his next album:
http://www.send space.com/file/ataa2m

Both of his albums are worth a listen. I also like his Bonnaroo '05 EP on iTunes.

cdisantis83 said:
Try Floyd's "The Final Cut" or Roger Waters' "Amused to Death."

I can't really see VertigoGal listening to either of those albums, but they are lovely. :love:

Ray LaMontagne and Ryan Adams depress the shit out of me, I can't listen to them! My friend thinks they are the greatest thing since Bob Dylan, but I just want a razor!

Bob Dylan's Time Out Of Mind is wonderfully depressive. Whenever I'm feeling low and I listen to that album I feel much better afterwards. At least someone's feeling even worse than I do. :)

Another recommendation is Berlin by Lou Reed. Broken hearts, drugs, children taken away, death/suicide. That album has it all.

Bonochick said:
Ryan Adams, especially Heartbreaker and Love Is Hell.

Word. I'd throw in half of Demolition and 29 for good measure. And Jacksonville City Nights. Pretty much anything but Rock N Roll.

Bonochick said:
Ryan Adams, especially Heartbreaker

Especially Come Pick Me Up, Why Do They Leave, and My Sweet Caroline.

Also, speaking of Ryan Adams, Whiskeytown has some really depressing songs. I'm thinking especially Faithless Street and Avenues. They're both gorgeous songs, but sad as hell, too.

UnforgettableLemon said:

Pretty much anything but Rock N Roll.

The title track makes me pretty sad...the whole repitition of "I miss my best friend", not to mention the somber, subdued sound. "Does Anybody Wanna Take Me Home" ranks up there...but you can also find that on Love Is Hell. "Wish You Were Here" is kind of like sadness in disguise, the way it's presented.

Palace Music - Arise, therefore

this album basically makes everything mentioned before in this thread sound like happy music

it also makes most of what was mentioned before in this thread sound very mediocre

Back
Top Bottom