Depressed Man Diagnosed as British - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2005, 08:30 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:47 PM
Depressed Man Diagnosed as British

http://www.thebrainstrust.co.uk/article.25.2137.html

George Farthing, an expatriate British man living in America, was recently diagnosed as clinically depressed, tanked up on anti-depressants and scheduled for controversial Shock Therapy when doctors realised he wasn't depressed at all - only British.

Mr Farthing, a British man whose characteristic pessimism and gloomy perspective were interpreted as serious clinical depression, was led on a nightmare journey through the American psychiatric system. Doctors described Farthing as suffering with Pervasive Negative Anticipation - a belief that everything will turn out for the worst, whether it's trains arriving late, England's chances at winning any international sports event or even his own prospects to get ahead in life and achieve his dreams. "The satisfaction Mr Farthing seemed to get from his pessimism seemed particularly pathological," reported the doctors.

"They put me on everything - Lithium, Prozac, St John's Wort," said Mr Farthing. "They even told me to sit in front of a big light for an hour a day or I'd become suicidal. I kept telling them this was all pointless and they said that it was exactly that sort of attitude that got me here in the first place."

Running out of ideas, his doctors finally resorted to a course of "weapons grade MDMA", the only noticable effect of which was six hours of speedy repetitions of the phrases "mustn't grumble" and "not too bad, really". It was then that Mr Farthing was referred to a psychotherapist.

Dr Isaac Horney explored Mr Farthing's family history and couldn't believe his ears. "His story of a childhood growing up in a gray little town where it rained every day, treeless streets of identical houses and passionately backing a football team who never won seemed to be typical depressive ideation or false memory. Mr Farthing had six months of therapy but seemed to mainly want to talk about the weather - how miserable and cold it was in winter and later how difficult and hot it was in summer. I felt he wasn't responding to therapy at all and so I recommended drastic action - namely ECT or shock treatment".

"I was all strapped down on the table and were about to put the rubber bit in my mouth when the psychiatric nurse picked up on my accent," said Mr Farthing. "I remember her saying 'Oh my God, I think we're making a terrible mistake'." Nurse Alice Sheen was a big fan of British comedy giving her an understanding of the British psyche. "Classic comedy characters like Tony Hancock, Albert Steptoe and Frank Spencer are all hopeless cases with no chance of ever doing well or escaping their circumstances," she explained to the baffled US medics. "That's funny in Britain and is not seen as pathological at all."

Identifying Mr Farthing as British changed his diagnosis from 'clinical depression' to 'rather quaint and charming' and he was immediately discharged from hospital, with a selection of brightly coloured leaflets and an "I love New York" T-shirt.

Old 02-06-2005, 08:49 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 08:47 AM
The "I Love New York" T-shirt's gotta brighten anyone up, even the Brits.

Old 02-06-2005, 09:01 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:47 AM
Old 02-06-2005, 10:02 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 12:47 AM
thats racist
Old 02-06-2005, 11:04 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Local Time: 02:47 PM

and that is so not racist. The ablity to laugh at ourselves is what makes us great
Old 02-06-2005, 11:18 AM   #6
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:47 AM
Old 02-06-2005, 12:43 PM   #7
New Yorker

this IS my problem...I clearly spend too much around brits..
Old 02-06-2005, 12:59 PM   #8
New Yorker

Old 02-06-2005, 02:03 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bammo2

and that is so not racist. The ablity to laugh at ourselves is what makes us great
No, it's not racist at all. The ability to laugh at oneself and the characteristics of one's nationality is a fantastic trait to have. I was born and raised in South Africa, and I couldn't care less when I see things that make fun of the fact that we eat partially dried meat, or that we speak improper English (honestly, who in their right mind would say something like "Ag too, man?"), or that our cricket team bloody sucks, or whatever.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:29 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:47 PM
Old 02-06-2005, 06:51 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Being half English and having lived many years in London, this is absolutely spot on and hilarious!
Old 02-07-2005, 03:43 AM   #12
Refugee

baa humbug.Bloody foreigners , i hate em'
Old 02-07-2005, 03:44 AM   #13
Refugee

Old 02-07-2005, 03:46 AM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead

Being half English and having lived many years in London, this is absolutely spot on and hilarious!
Which half of you is English,the best half?
Old 02-07-2005, 06:04 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
I pride myself on being a whinging pom. I love to moan and generally be like eeyore