David Lee Roth's Radio Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I listened to about 10 minutes of it. His "special guest" is his 86 year old uncle. He is no Ben Stern.

And the bumpers are Van Halen songs. I feel like I'm in a time warp.

Will anyone listen to this show?

Btw Howard is on Larry King Thursday night and he is supposedly engaged.

1136307549_1306.jpg

someone posted this on a newspaper message board, lol

"The David Lee Roth show is 100% train wreck. I knew it would suck. I just didn't think this much. Howard must be roaring with laughter this morning.

Every Sirius radio on the east coast will be sold out by lunch time if no one puts a stop to this. "

"Dave, go back to being an EMT. I saw you live in the summer of 2002 and you were a washed up aging (and bald with comb-over) rocker that was completely pathetic on stage trying to recapture your 80's glory. Now after 1/2 a morning on the radio you're a washed up hack of a radio host.

He got a 4 year contract? I bet most of the markets dump him by June (though probably sooner)."

"Oh jeez the best part was when he was interviewing his uncle, then he began coughing up a lung. I almost vomited in my car so I switched to WBOS to hear some music and no talk."

Last edited:
I didn't listen, and I don't intend to. I don't think it will work.

although the thought of listening to this train wreck is "almost" appealing.:hmm:

I haven't heard the new show yet, but everytime I hear David Lee Roth, I wonder if he actively has drugs in his system, or if he is suffering from the residual effects of the drugs.

Regardless of what you think of him or what he has turned into, he did front the greatest rock band from the late 80's to mid 90's.

Last edited:
U2ME3 said:
Regardless of what you think of him or what he has turned into, he did front the greatest rock band from the late 80's to mid 90's.
While I won't argue the premise (have been a big =VH= fan since I heard Runnin' With the Devil as a young lad), I'll argue the timeline.
DLR left Van Halen circa 1985. So its like 1977-1985.
He was the quintessential hard rock front man of the time. Lots of 80's singers (especially in th LA scene) borrowed a lot of their act from Diamond Dave.

Van Halen > Van Hagar

DLR sounds like a fun guy, but I wouldn't want to listen to him on the radio :yikes:

heard about 10 mins of the show yesterday and today... it's bad. :sigh: i miss howard already!

and i am NOT surprised that he's engaged! he kept insisting that he never would get married again... but i knew it would happen. :wink:

Van Halen is far from being one of the best bands of the 80s. They have some good stuff, but they far too inconsistant and at times too bluesy for my liking.

Having said that...

"1984"
and
"5150"

are solid.

Hewson said:

I'll argue the timeline.
DLR left Van Halen circa 1985. So its like 1977-1985.

yeah, i don't know what the f i was thinking when i typed that?

namkcuR said:
Van Halen is far from being one of the best bands of the 80s. They have some good stuff, but they far too inconsistant and at times too bluesy for my liking.

Having said that...

"1984"
and
"5150"

are solid.
Actually I think 1984 is by far the worst album of the Roth era, possibly the worst VH of all(including VHIII, so thats saying something), and "Jump" is a piece of poppy crap.

Listen to "Women and Children First" and "Fair Warning".

Van Halen's first 4 albums contain some of the greatest hard rock songs this side of Led Zeppelin.

i listened to bits of his radio show today , it's not that bad , more like a good talk show , dave knows a lot , likes different things , speaks to younger audience , there is not too much stuff like this on am/fm talk stations , howard went too far with fart/sex jokes , to the point where it was more stupid then funny

The Hagar era transformed them into a "hair metal ballad" band

I thought of them as a lesser Journey at that point, even if they had the immortal Eddie Van Halen.

Van Halen with Diamond Dave will always be the Van Halen I remember

LemonMacPhisto said:
The Hagar era transformed them into a "hair metal ballad" band

I thought of them as a lesser Journey at that point, even if they had the immortal Eddie Van Halen.

Van Halen with Diamond Dave will always be the Van Halen I remember
The transformation to lighter stuff began pre-Sammy (again I refer to the train wreck that is "Jump").
EVH writes all the music, and the singer du jour is responsible for lyrics, so you can't blame Sammy, had DLR stayed the music would have continued to get a wee bit fluffier.
That being said, the Hagar era had some great rock tunes as well, just that radio embraces the lighter stuff (just like in Roth era the tunes with the most radio play were songs like "Jamie's Cryin'", "Dance the Night Away" and the train wreck known as "Jump").
In the Hagar era, radio embraced songs like "Dreams", "Why Can't This Be Love", "When its Love", "Runaround", "Right Now", and "Can't Stop Lovin' You"(notice the preponderence of "Love"), definitely lighter material. But there's plenty of good rockers that radio of course ignored, stuff like "5150", "Mine All Mine", "AFU", "Sucker in a 3 Piece", "Poundcake", "The Seventh Seal", "Aftershock", and "Humans Being" (for my money the top song from the Hagar era and a top 10 all time VH song).

Clearly Roth era VH rules, but I think thats more a reflection of Eddie being a young aggressive guitarist/songwriter more than a reflection on Dave(remember DLR tried his hand at lounge singing for a while). There's still some great material in the Hagar era catalog (and even a couple of good tunes with Gary Cherone off VH3), you just need to dig for them, you won't hear 'em on the radio.

Whats the deal with K-rock?
I mean they never had music in the morning anyway with Stern, so how does DLR affect the rest of the day's programming?
Have they stopped playing music altogether?
When he signs off here at 10, 'BCN goes back to regular rock format just like always.

Hewson said:
Whats the deal with K-rock?
I mean they never had music in the morning anyway with Stern, so how does DLR affect the rest of the day's programming?
Have they stopped playing music altogether?
When he signs off here at 10, 'BCN goes back to regular rock format just like always.

they've stopped playing music. they've turned to an all talk format.

why? i do not know.

as of today there is no modern rock station in new york city.

Hewson said:

In the Hagar era, radio embraced songs like "Dreams", "Why Can't This Be Love", "When its Love", "Runaround", "Right Now", and "Can't Stop Lovin' You"(notice the preponderence of "Love"), definitely lighter material. But there's plenty of good rockers that radio of course ignored, stuff like "5150", "Mine All Mine", "AFU", "Sucker in a 3 Piece", "Poundcake", "The Seventh Seal", "Aftershock", and "Humans Being" (for my money the top song from the Hagar era and a top 10 all time VH song).

"Humans Being" is a great song. It's too bad that ended up being the final thing they did before Hagar left. Perhaps they could have made an album in the same vein.

I was in high school when 5150 and OU812 came out, so perhaps that's why I've always liked those albums. I remember playing "Summer Nights" over and over.

Well that blows.
But its not Roth's fault, he replaced another talk show, in fact he signs off right at 10 whereas Howard was usually on till 10:30 and sometimes around 11:00. SO it should open up more time for music, as it does here in Boston. (Move here there are plenty of rock stations in reach on the radio, you can pick up Boston, southern NH and Providence stations)
I think New Yorkers should have issue with Tom Cheapasano. Maybe another suit beat him up and he got a concussion and figured all talk was the way to go.

Roth will get better in time, he'll never be Stern, but methinks he may be fairly amusing and entertaining.

phanan said:

"Humans Being" is a great song. It's too bad that ended up being the final thing they did before Hagar left. Perhaps they could have made an album in the same vein.

I was in high school when 5150 and OU812 came out, so perhaps that's why I've always liked those albums. I remember playing "Summer Nights" over and over.
I'm a couple of years older, was early 20's when they came out. I think OU812 is a tremendous album, best of the Hagar era by a longshot. (Plus the whole Pamela Smart/Black and Blue thing made the song that much cooler).

Back
Top Bottom