David Gilmour "On An Island"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm considering it. I've heard the title song and it's not bad. I've never been a fan of Gilmour's solo work, however, so whether I'll buy it or not remains to be seen. From what I've read about this one, it's very lovey-dovey, very family orientated, very old man-ish. That's not really my kind of thing. But you never know, it might be good.

By the way, for anyone who's interested, you can listen to the title track here (it plays in the background.)

http://columbiarecords.com/davidgilmour/

His other two solo albums sucked, I think, but I probably will get this. It's been so long since he's released music of any kind, so I'm thinking there's got to be a few good things on it at least, and I like the title cut.

There's also the bonus of having Rick Wright playing the organ on the title track and singing backup on another. Polly Samson wrote most of the lyrics though, and eh...I don't care for her lyrics all that much.

I haven't gotten it yet. I asked myself, do I really want to spend two dollars for a bus ticket, just to get a David Gilmour album? The answer was obviously no. :lol: I might check it out sometime later this week, though.

I got it today, and I'm about to tear into it. If I don't report back in tonight, it's because I've lapsed into a Pink-Floyd-solo-effort-induced coma, and I need one of you to call the paramedics.

It's really sleepy. It reminds me of Neil Young's Prairie Wind, only not as interesting. In fact, I think I'm going to throw that on next to pick up the pace a little.

I was hoping for something more Division Bell-like (dude exerts himself more when he's recording under "Pink Floyd"), but oh well. Dave sings and plays pretty much like he always has.

Six of the songs break the five-minute mark, although even the shorter ones feel pretty long since it's such a slow record. It's pleasant, though. A few melodies stuck with me, so hopefully they'll come out more by the next time I listen to it.

Last edited:
Now, typhoon, the big question is, would you recommend it? Or would I be better off buying something else? I've never been all that fond of Dave's solo work because I frankly think it's drop dead boring. Is this at least slightly more exciting than his previous efforts?

Well, compared to his other solo or mostly solo efforts, it's most like his self-titled. Although that one at least had a couple of stand-outs, "There's No Way Out of Here" and "Cry from the Street," the first time I listened to it.

That was easily his most boring post-Waters record up until now, so if you didn't like that one, you really wouldn't like On An Island. It's filled with droopy, "Fat Old Sun"-like vocals (only double-tracked or with accompaniment, so even droopier) and a lot of sublimely mellow soloing. The pace is sooo slow and only seems to change for one track ("Take A Breath," which is hardly balls to the wall).

But it's pleasant.

Thanks for the info. :up: I don't care for Dave's self-titled album and I really hate everything to do with Fat Old Sun (AHM could have been so much better, I think, if that and Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast were removed). My money will definitely be better spent on something else. I might purchase the title song from iTunes, though, because that one's rather nice. And maybe I'll check out Take A Breath too.

i quite like this... nice in a james blunt 'i dont wanna listen 2 closely background music' way

GibsonGirl said:
Thanks for the info. :up: I don't care for Dave's self-titled album and I really hate everything to do with Fat Old Sun (AHM could have been so much better, I think, if that and Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast were removed). My money will definitely be better spent on something else. I might purchase the title song from iTunes, though, because that one's rather nice. And maybe I'll check out Take A Breath too.

Those two are the only ones I've heard from the album so far and I really like them :up:

I'm posting in part to counter the heavily negative slant of some of the posts on this thread (who have not heard the album).

I'm in love with the album, it is terrific. It is very slow and mellow, only one "rocker" in there (Take A Breath) and right now that might be my least fav track. It's a very CHILL album, reminiscent most in the Floyd catalogue by the MORE soundtrack and other songs from the 1969-1971 period (think Fat Old Sun, Pillow of Winds, etc). A surprising amount of piano-based or orchestra-songs, such as Pocketful of Stones which is very new territory for Gilmour. My favorite thus far is the sweet ballad Smile which is just very pleasant.

Production is top notch as is musicianship. Gilmour is in fine form vocally and the guitar solos are there as well. On first listen the album just drifts along and may underwhelm, but already I can tell this one is a grower, which I like just fine.

just got the album, I'm very impressed with it:up:

it's relaxing, melodic, and still has "Grower" potential

current favorite song: "A Pocketful of Stones"

First night of the tour was tonight in Germany, below is the setlist

**************SPOILERS***************

First half:
All of 'On An Island'

Second half:
Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Wot's... Uh The Deal
Wearing The Inside Out
Breathe
Time
Breathe Reprise
Dominoes
High Hopes
Echoes

Encores:
Wish You Were Here
Comfortably Numb

WOW!!!!! First Echoes since 1987, First Wots...Uh The Deal since ~1973ish. That one is a terrific add. And High Hopes is still there thank goodness. Can't wait to see DG (+ Rick Wright, Guy Pratt, Jon Carin, and Dick Parry) live!!!

Here's some news for US based Floyd fans: I met Roger Waters on Sunday when he was here in L.A. for a few days going to Oscar parties (you can see photos on www.wireimage.com by typing in his name).

He signed a couple albums for me that I had Nick Mason already on and he confirmed to me that he will be touring the US this fall, to go along with his summer tour of Europe! If you've never seen Waters live, you're in for a fantastic treat.

That's an awesome set. Pretty much the same band that was touring as Pink Floyd for the last twenty years too, heh.

"Wot's..." is a favorite, so that's cool too.

Have they ever done "Wearing the Inside Out" before?

Yeah, great set. :up: Awesome that he played Wots...Uh The Deal as well. That's one of my top songs off OBC. And great news on Roger Waters' tour. Hope it's not just limited to the US.

GibsonGirl said:
Yeah, great set. :up: Awesome that he played Wots...Uh The Deal as well. That's one of my top songs off OBC. And great news on Roger Waters' tour. Hope it's not just limited to the US.

Waters is touring throughout Europe in June and July with a show also happening in Israel. He has close to 20 dates already announced. At his shows, he will perform The Dark Side Of The Moon in its entirety, along with many other songs. At a show in France, he will be joined by Nick Mason.

Halup said:

Waters is touring throughout Europe in June and July with a show also happening in Israel. He has close to 20 dates already announced. At his shows, he will perform The Dark Side Of The Moon in its entirety, along with many other songs. At a show in France, he will be joined by Nick Mason.

Yeah, I know. :) I check up on Pink Floyd/Roger Waters sites on a rather regular basis. What I meant was the fall dates he confirmed with you. I'd like to see him come to Canada as well, not just the US.

I hope either one of them comes to Florida this year :drool:

I'd die if I saw Roger or David live

Hawkfire said:

First half:
All of 'On An Island'

Second half:
Wot's... Uh The Deal
Wearing The Inside Out
Breathe
Time
Breathe Reprise
Dominoes
High Hopes
Echoes

Encores:
Wish You Were Here
Comfortably Numb

WOW!!!!! First Echoes since 1987, First Wots...Uh The Deal since ~1973ish. That one is a terrific add. And High Hopes is still there thank goodness. Can't wait to see DG (+ Rick Wright, Guy Pratt, Jon Carin, and Dick Parry) live!!!

Fuck me what a setlist!!!:drool:

Did Wright still sing WTIO?!:drool:

I cant wait til the Albert Hall gig in May - THEN Waters in Hyde Park in July!:rockon:

Wright sings Wearing the Inside Out, does harmony on Echoes, and does the verses on Comf. Numb. So Rick is well-represented this tour! The Echoes was a full 20+ min version, too! WOW!!

In response to an above poster, yes, last week's performances were the first ever for Wearing the Inside Out. One of only a couple of Division Bell songs that did not get played on the 1994 world tour.

Hawkfire said:

First half:
All of 'On An Island'

Second half:
Wot's... Uh The Deal
Wearing The Inside Out
Breathe
Time
Breathe Reprise
Dominoes
High Hopes
Echoes

Encores:
Wish You Were Here
Comfortably Numb

:hyper: :hyper: :combust:

I was really excited about David's upcoming show, now I'm crazy-excited. Holy shit. It's just under a month away.

I haven't gotten the new CD yet, but I plan on picking it up in the next few days. Looking forward to it.

ETA - Dick Parry's touring with him?? My daughter the sax player is going to go absolutely ape-shit crazy when she hears this!! :hyper:

Last edited:
I wish he was coming closer to me than New York. I'd love to see that setlist.

As for the album, I got it the other day. I wouldn't consider it awesome or anything, but there are several songs on there that I really like.

Gilmour actually plays sax on one song - Red Sky At Night. I never knew he could play the sax before. I thought that was interesting. Usually with Pink Floyd, they had Dick Parry. Has Gilmour ever been credited with playing the sax previously? Because I don't recall ever seeing it before.

Back
Top Bottom