David Gilmour "On An Island" - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2006, 06:18 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:23 AM
David Gilmour "On An Island"

Anyone plan on buying this album?

Old 03-05-2006, 08:53 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm considering it. I've heard the title song and it's not bad. I've never been a fan of Gilmour's solo work, however, so whether I'll buy it or not remains to be seen. From what I've read about this one, it's very lovey-dovey, very family orientated, very old man-ish. That's not really my kind of thing. But you never know, it might be good.

By the way, for anyone who's interested, you can listen to the title track here (it plays in the background.)

http://columbiarecords.com/davidgilmour/

Old 03-05-2006, 09:09 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:23 AM
His other two solo albums sucked, I think, but I probably will get this. It's been so long since he's released music of any kind, so I'm thinking there's got to be a few good things on it at least, and I like the title cut.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:17 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

There's also the bonus of having Rick Wright playing the organ on the title track and singing backup on another. Polly Samson wrote most of the lyrics though, and eh...I don't care for her lyrics all that much.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:54 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:23 AM
Did anyone buy this yet? I haven't had a chance to, and was wondering what people thought of it.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:18 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

I haven't gotten it yet. I asked myself, do I really want to spend two dollars for a bus ticket, just to get a David Gilmour album? The answer was obviously no. I might check it out sometime later this week, though.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:36 PM   #7
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:23 AM
I got it today, and I'm about to tear into it. If I don't report back in tonight, it's because I've lapsed into a Pink-Floyd-solo-effort-induced coma, and I need one of you to call the paramedics.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:03 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Heaven In Alberta, Where We Got All Hell For A Basement..
Local Time: 07:23 AM
i heard of it but i don't know...i do like the cover though!!!!
Old 03-08-2006, 08:29 PM   #9
New Yorker

It's really sleepy. It reminds me of Neil Young's Prairie Wind, only not as interesting. In fact, I think I'm going to throw that on next to pick up the pace a little.

I was hoping for something more Division Bell-like (dude exerts himself more when he's recording under "Pink Floyd"), but oh well. Dave sings and plays pretty much like he always has.

Six of the songs break the five-minute mark, although even the shorter ones feel pretty long since it's such a slow record. It's pleasant, though. A few melodies stuck with me, so hopefully they'll come out more by the next time I listen to it.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:33 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Now, typhoon, the big question is, would you recommend it? Or would I be better off buying something else? I've never been all that fond of Dave's solo work because I frankly think it's drop dead boring. Is this at least slightly more exciting than his previous efforts?
Old 03-08-2006, 08:43 PM   #11
New Yorker

Well, compared to his other solo or mostly solo efforts, it's most like his self-titled. Although that one at least had a couple of stand-outs, "There's No Way Out of Here" and "Cry from the Street," the first time I listened to it.

That was easily his most boring post-Waters record up until now, so if you didn't like that one, you really wouldn't like On An Island. It's filled with droopy, "Fat Old Sun"-like vocals (only double-tracked or with accompaniment, so even droopier) and a lot of sublimely mellow soloing. The pace is sooo slow and only seems to change for one track ("Take A Breath," which is hardly balls to the wall).

But it's pleasant.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:12 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Thanks for the info. I don't care for Dave's self-titled album and I really hate everything to do with Fat Old Sun (AHM could have been so much better, I think, if that and Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast were removed). My money will definitely be better spent on something else. I might purchase the title song from iTunes, though, because that one's rather nice. And maybe I'll check out Take A Breath too.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:40 PM   #13
War Child

Local Time: 02:23 PM
i quite like this... nice in a james blunt 'i dont wanna listen 2 closely background music' way
Old 03-09-2006, 03:10 PM   #14
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
Thanks for the info. I don't care for Dave's self-titled album and I really hate everything to do with Fat Old Sun (AHM could have been so much better, I think, if that and Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast were removed). My money will definitely be better spent on something else. I might purchase the title song from iTunes, though, because that one's rather nice. And maybe I'll check out Take A Breath too.
Those two are the only ones I've heard from the album so far and I really like them
Old 03-09-2006, 08:30 PM   #15
The Fly

Local Time: 01:23 PM
I'm posting in part to counter the heavily negative slant of some of the posts on this thread (who have not heard the album).

I'm in love with the album, it is terrific. It is very slow and mellow, only one "rocker" in there (Take A Breath) and right now that might be my least fav track. It's a very CHILL album, reminiscent most in the Floyd catalogue by the MORE soundtrack and other songs from the 1969-1971 period (think Fat Old Sun, Pillow of Winds, etc). A surprising amount of piano-based or orchestra-songs, such as Pocketful of Stones which is very new territory for Gilmour. My favorite thus far is the sweet ballad Smile which is just very pleasant.

Production is top notch as is musicianship. Gilmour is in fine form vocally and the guitar solos are there as well. On first listen the album just drifts along and may underwhelm, but already I can tell this one is a grower, which I like just fine.