David Gilmour "On An Island"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FYI...Gilmour's album debuts at #1 on the UK charts this week! Congrats, David!! Already certified Gold in the UK & Canada, hopefully US chart will be good as well.

Touring band is Rick Wright (PF keyboardist), Phil Manzanera (ex-Roxy Music) on guitar, Guy Pratt (Floyd bassist from 1987-present), Jon Carin (Floyd backing keyboardist 1987-present), Dick Parry (longtime Floyd tour guy) on sax, and Steve DiStansileo (sp?) (ex-Crosby, Stills & Nash) on drums.

Finally got the album today. It's okay. :up: Nothing I'd get overly excited about, but it's still okay. The only strong emotion I felt while listening to it was an intense loathing for Polly Samson's horribly cheesy lyrics. The music's not bad. Castellorizon is pretty cool. On An Island is my favourite off the album. Take A Breath (while being lyrically and vocally terrible) isn't too bad in a musical sense. A little Division Bell-ish. Love Dave's sax on Red Sky At Night. This Heaven is heaps better than I thought it would be, judging by the song title. It has such a great groove about it. A little jazzy, a little bluesy - my second favourite. Smile's nice. The thing that impresses me most about it is Dave's voice. I don't know if it's studio trickery, but he sounds like he hasn't aged one bit since 1979. If you close your eyes, you can easily picture a young Dave Gilmour singing these songs. Whereas, when you listen to Roger Waters' stuff, he sounds like a completely different person (excluding The Pros and Cons Of Hitchhiking, which makes sense considering the time period.) Roger's voice aged horribly. That said, I think I'd still take a Waters solo album over a Gilmour solo album. :wink:

But anyway, this might grow on me. A lot better than I was expecting. :up: Only big disappointment is that Rick doesn't sound as prominent as I hoped he would in The Blue. Also, I really hate cardboard cases. :grumpy:

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:
The thing that impresses me most about it is Dave's voice. I don't know if it's studio trickery, but he sounds like he hasn't aged one bit since 1979. If you close your eyes, you can easily picture a young Dave Gilmour singing these songs. Whereas, when you listen to Roger Waters' stuff, he sounds like a completely different person (excluding The Pros and Cons Of Hitchhiking, which makes sense considering the time period.) Roger's voice aged horribly. That said, I think I'd still take a Waters solo album over a Gilmour solo album. :wink:

Yea Dave's voice hasn't aged a bit....

Hawkfire said:
FYI...Gilmour's album debuts at #1 on the UK charts this week! Congrats, David!! Already certified Gold in the UK & Canada, hopefully US chart will be good as well.

Touring band is Rick Wright (PF keyboardist), Phil Manzanera (ex-Roxy Music) on guitar, Guy Pratt (Floyd bassist from 1987-present), Jon Carin (Floyd backing keyboardist 1987-present), Dick Parry (longtime Floyd tour guy) on sax, and Steve DiStansileo (sp?) (ex-Crosby, Stills & Nash) on drums.

have any bootlegs surfaced yet?:wink:

Did anyone else purchase the album at Best Buy? It came with a bonus disc with one additional song, "Island Jam", which is essentially an instrumental based on the theme to "On An Island". Not too bad, really. It fades in and fades out, which leads me to believe it's probably much longer than that...

phanan said:
Did anyone else purchase the album at Best Buy? It came with a bonus disc with one additional song, "Island Jam", which is essentially an instrumental based on the theme to "On An Island". Not too bad, really. It fades in and fades out, which leads me to believe it's probably much longer than that...

Mine didn't come with that! :( Damn you, HMV.

I'd love a copy of the MP3 for "Island Jam" if you have one available, thanks!! I heard a bit of it on DG's website when it was streaming and thought it was good stuff.

Can't WAIT for the concert, woo hoo!!!

FYI, recent additions to the Gilmour setlist:

- The Great Gig in the Sky
- Fat Old Sun (usually subbed for Dominoes)
- Coming Back to Life (swapped last night in place of Wearing the Inside Out)

Great adds!!! I have recently rediscovered what a great tune Coming Back to Life is and I hope he plays it in Chicago!!!

Great album - I would have liked it to have rocked a little more, but then again that probably wasn't where Daves head was at!
Certainly prefer it to the last 3 Floyd studio albums!

Finally got the CD today, and as much as I love David, I have to say that my expectations were maybe a little low to begin with, but as of my 3rd listen, I'm very impressed. Stand outs for me include the title track, Take a Breath, Red Sky..., This Heaven, Smile (although I already knew this one from his DVD), but I can see the rest growing on me.

Looking forward to the show even more now. :up:

NYC setlists

Both nights:

1st set - All of OAI. David Crosby and Graham Nash were special guests, who performed on On an Island, and The Blue.

1st night, 2nd set - Shine On You Crazy Diamond (w/Crosby and Nash), Wearing The Inside Out, Dominos, Fat Old Sun, Breathe/Time/Breathe (Reprise), High Hopes, Echoes.

Encore: Wish You Were Here, Find The Cost Of Freedom (an old CSN song taken from their double live album 'Four Way Street'), Comfortably Numb.

2nd night, 2nd set - Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Wot's the Deal, Breathe/Time/Reprise, Wearing the Inside Out, Coming Back to Life, High Hopes, Echoes

Encore: Wish You Were Here, Find The Cost Of Freedom, Comfortably Numb.

Have I mentioned how fucking excited I am? :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom