David Bowie: The next thread and the next thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1394371_10151612649977665_2006635888_n.jpg

What can people tell me about Tonight? It's not one of his more critically acclaimed efforts, I know, but it's been a long while since I bought a Bowie album (not including The Next Day) and I heard Blue Jean on the radio yesterday and loved it. Just looking it up online, I am shocked to see that it contains two tracks from Lust for Life? I always enjoyed Loving the Alien, too, from one of the best ofs I have.

What can people tell me about Tonight? It's not one of his more critically acclaimed efforts, I know, but it's been a long while since I bought a Bowie album (not including The Next Day) and I heard Blue Jean on the radio yesterday and loved it. Just looking it up online, I am shocked to see that it contains two tracks from Lust for Life? I always enjoyed Loving the Alien, too, from one of the best ofs I have.

Yeah the two best songs are his two actual solo compositions Blue Jean and Loving The Alien. The latter I think is one of his best songs ever, it's what Modern Love was to the Let's Dance album, albeit compared to Tonight? Let's Dance is like listening to Low.... 8/10 and 10/10

So, the rest...

Dancing With the Big Boys
? this is what you are in, for generally speaking. It is the mid 80s Lots of big bad spacy, crashing drums/percussion, lots of female backing vocals and Power Station horns stabs everywhere, had this one been recorded with the Next Day/Reality/Heathen bands it'd be a decentish...... bonus track. 5/10

God Only Knows
? well, Christ only know why he felt the need to record this as some slow plodding drone/croon. 1/10

Tonight
? Tina Turner, reggae and the horns appear again, a bit more restrained this time, but you couldn't move for big brass stabs and extra percussion in the mid '80s and this record has tons of it. 3/10

Tumble & Twirl
, horns! fucking horns! big plucking bass, I know it was the era but it came out the same year and month as The Unforgettable Fire. 1/10

I Keep Forgettin'?
okay, just calmly tell yourself "fack! this was the same guy who did Young Americans, Ziggy, Low and Diamond Dogs ffs!!!!!!!" 0/10

Neighbourhood Threat
? another decent tune and again if it'd been recorded by the current band, maybe. 6/10

Don't Look Down
? jazzy piano, slightly reggaeish, references to shanty towns, kinda 1988 Simply Red feat. David Bowie Impersonator. All in all like most of the album - a bit rubbish.... 1/10

Tonight is usually best summed up as; "not as woefully bad as Never Let Me Down" but really who the feck was whispering in his ear back then...

Tonight and Never Let Me Down are his absolutely worst records.

Blue Jean, Loving the Alien and Time Will Crawl are absolutely wonderful songs.

The version of Time Will Crawl from the iSelect comp, naked of 80's style production is even more wonderful. I recommend listening.

Finally got around to listening this. Hearing Bowie jammed to the back of the mix in every track broke my heart. Very happy that he put out new material; it's a shame that it's a shade of his last two records, in my opinion.

Yeaaaaah, this.

I was just putting together a playlist of random music, when I came across a stark reminder of something:

51GRiIu96mL.jpg

The man has certainly been guilty of horrible album covers before.

Wow, that's not real, is it? That's bad by the standards of fan created ms paint job from the days when people made geocities sites.

I'm not sure Best Of collections likely compiled by record company execs should have their album covers judged on artistic merit and blamed on the artist.

Maybe not the artist's, but surely a label executive could just get their 5 year old to fingerprint something less awful than that.

I'm not sure Best Of collections likely compiled by record company execs should have their album covers judged on artistic merit and blamed on the artist.

This is ChangesBowie, though. It's like the Best of 1980-90 of his career. I gotta think that he at least signed off on this at some point.

I thought those covers were rereleases and the awful cover was the original, was I incorrect?

I was just putting together a playlist of random music, when I came across a stark reminder of something: The man has certainly been guilty of horrible album covers before.

Still miles better than The Next Day. And for the record I've never seen this Changesbowie cover.

There's:

ChangesBowie
ChangesONEBowie
ChangesTWOBowie

You posted the cover to ChangesBowie

So ChangesBowie predates those other two, because the second version didn't exist yet, right? :confused:

Anyways, my cassette tape copy is the horrible collage.

And it's funny, it didn't bother me at all until I saw it yesterday and really looked at it. Then I couldn't stop laughing.

I bought ChangesBowie on CD in 1990 when it was released. It has that collage cover Ashley posted.

It didn't really bother me at the time, but that was the pre-GeoCities world.

I've got it from back then too. Hadn't really thought about how bad the cover was. Funny how that works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom