David Bowie: The next thread and the next thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been telling my GF that if we get married, "Tis A Pity She Was A Whore" would be a great song to be played when she goes down the aisle. I love trolling and I believe my wedding should be no exception. Maybe if I'm lucky her family would never want to ever remain in contact again...

I Can't Give Everything Away would be her father's choice.

I believe Lance walked his mother down the aisle (her 4th marriage) to The Motel.

This is all well and good, but your last paragraph implies that you've heard Blackstar and you haven't said anything in here. Thoughts?

Excellent list, all of those songs are among Bowie's best. I'd take the Outside version of Strangers though. Nice writing too! Good work.

Nice writing. But The Heart's Filthy Lesson and Where Are We Now were both well-publicized singles with videos, so not sure why you included them under the "honorable mention" label in an article about deep cuts.

Also, I know you're not a fan of Lodger, but surely you could have thrown a bone to one of its tracks in place of one of the Heroes entries. Red Money is a criminally overlooked track, for one suggestion.

Glad that you drew attention to all these others, though. I heard Teenage Wildlife at a bar last night and goddamn that song is amazing.

Fuck yeah Teenage Wildlife is amazing. A-right.

Also holy shit Black Tie White Noise is really really reaaaaaally good. First listen today. I have a feeling I'm going to be filling in pretty much all my blind spots this week.

This is great.

"Heroes" is one of maybe five, maybe ten contenders for "the best song ever written".

Definitely one of the best songs candidate. I liked some Bowie songs over time while not ever delving into his catalogue, no idea where to start though - Absolute Begginers, Let's Dance, Fame, Rebel Rebel, Ashes to Ashes, Space Oddity and more recently Where are we now and Lazarus, it remains my favourite. The man who sold the world (technically only heard Nirvana's cover). Certainly one of the true originals and innovators.
He had great duets with Mick Jagger, Tina Turner, Bing Crosby, and Queen.

All the more powerful as this is the final performance before his surgery in 2004.

Here's Martin Gore.

Martin L Gore

Last edited:
Nice writing. But The Heart's Filthy Lesson and Where Are We Now were both well-publicized singles with videos, so not sure why you included them under the "honorable mention" label in an article about deep cuts.

Also, I know you're not a fan of Lodger, but surely you could have thrown a bone to one of its tracks in place of one of the Heroes entries. Red Money is a criminally overlooked track, for one suggestion.

Glad that you drew attention to all these others, though. I heard Teenage Wildlife at a bar last night and goddamn that song is amazing.

They're still deep cuts to the Bowie fans who only know Changes and Starman though. I'd argue only reasonably committed fans are going to know Heart's Filthy Lesson and a lot of people will have forgotten Where Are We Now, I reckon. You won't really find them on best ofs, you know. But I could be wrong.

I had Look Back in Anger on my shortlist. I don't hate Lodger at all (also really like Boys Keep Swinging, DJ, Red Sails), it's just well down on my list.

Glad we can all agree on Teenage Wildlife though ?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I feel like people don't have any love for DJ. But they should because that song is bad-ass.

Good shit, man. That story about Always Crashing in the Same Car is wild. I've had that song in my head for days now, and it's indicative of just how brilliant Low is. Totally idiosyncratic, disjointed album that somehow holds together through sheer force of creative will. Definitely among the greatest albums ever made IMO. There's nothing else like it.

Pretty sure that's not how the term deep cut works

Pretty sure most people aren't as pedantic as us and don't really care. The last similar article they ran was on Beiber deep cuts so this semantics game isn't that fun. I had never heard any of the songs I listed until I bought his albums.

so dropped into JB to get Blackstar and see what else was available; they only had Outside, Earthling, Reality, the Reality tour DVD/CD, Heathen, The Next Day and Blackstar haha. The rest had been thoroughly raided. So I'll have to order Scary Monsters.

Outside's booklet is intense. I look forward to getting to know it more. I wonder what Bowie and Eno would have done with it had he lived on. Now we'll never know.

Good shit, man. That story about Always Crashing in the Same Car is wild. I've had that song in my head for days now, and it's indicative of just how brilliant Low is. Totally idiosyncratic, disjointed album that somehow holds together through sheer force of creative will. Definitely among the greatest albums ever made IMO. There's nothing else like it.

Thanks man, means a lot. I actually didn't know it until I started researching a few days ago; insane. And I agree, I said as much. I still can't pick a fav Bowie album but it is very deserving of the term masterpiece.

I really enjoyed the read cobbler, good job.

Absolutely. Low is one of the perhaps two or three albums that really made me a music fan. It opened so many avenues to explore. Definitely in my top-5 of all time.

Low is great. I'm still a fairly casual fan whose only really heard half Bowie's albums. But I like Low a ton, and would thank Salome back in the testje days if I'm not mistaken, for that one.

Listened to The Man Who Sold the World this morning and realized it is a lot stronger than I remember. A lot of it points directly to Ziggy in sound and texture despite Hunky Dory sandwiched in between.

Speaking of which, anyone ever seen this alt cover from Germany?

MWSTWG1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom