David Bowie: The next thread and the next thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO: Death makes us sad because something that brought joy to our lives is gone. A family member, or a friend is someone who you directly communicate with, so no one really things it's strange to feel sadness at that loss.

When a person is sad over a celebrity dying, people more have a tendency to be of the mind, "Why do you care, it's not like you knew them?" but again, that joy is gone from your life. That thing that made you happy, you realize that you won't get to experience that happiness in the same way ever again.

I feel no shame in being sad when a celebrity who acted, or sang, or did things that made me feel strong emotions is gone. I may not have known the person directly, but through their work, they had an impact on my life. And I think it's OK to be sad, to mourn a celebrities passing. Yes, they're one of many people who die on any given day. I can feel empathy for others deaths, but, ultimately, if I didn't know the person, I can't feel that same level of sadness.

Or something, akin to that, :ramble:

Fair enough and well stated. :)

Not to sound like a broken record Paul-basher, but the odds that Macca releases an album as good as Blackstar right before he dies are pretty unlikely. Especially as he's never released anything that good as a solo artist anyway.

Part of the tragedy here with Bowie is that in addition to him dying without anyone knowing he was sick, he was clearly still operating at a very high level of creativity. And so knowing that he probably had more great music ahead of him means we aren't just robbed of the person. McCartney is a musical titan who made the world a better place immeasurably, but we won't be missing much output-wise by comparison.

I will confess, after the brief moment of utter shock, I felt a great deal of anger and disappointment over his death. It's selfish to feel this way, but I had gotten my hopes up that we were entering a time when Bowie would be a consistent creative force that regularly released wonderful albums, the way he used to before I became a fan. I was extremely excited about that prospect.

The fact is that I made it 9 years without a new Bowie album (I was listening when Reality was new) and I will be able to do the same for much longer. But a world without any possibility of new Bowie music is a lesser one indeed. As it stands, he did his absolute best to make his last album very special and memorable. It's going to have to last us.

Last edited:
This and the death of James Gandolfini have hit me the hardest of any artists or celebrities. I think it's because they're both two of the most instrumental in the formative period of my life wherein I really began to discover art and its place in my personality and how it eventually shaped my future. Bowie in particular, was so crucial at that stage, it's a distinct possibility without him I wouldn't have connected to art as an idea or fixation in such a way of be driven to spend so much of my life investing in it as an interest and profession. I also might not have joined communities like this one and others like the one where I met my wife and so many other friends and people who further shaped my worldview and tastes. It goes on and on this way, but yeah, all to say it's a funny sensation seeing such enormous outpouring of emotion from such a wide array of people following this, and it brings me close to them in a weird way since my own connection to Bowie is so personal.

Anyway Blackstar is fucking astounding the more I listen to it. Definitely stands strong in the top tier.

David Bowie is the first musician I had a strong connection with that has passed. Absolutely devastating news. Spent the day listening to various songs, starting with the Heroes record. He's left us with an incredible musical legacy that is virtually unparalleled and a sense of fearlessness that we should all do our best to carry onwards.

It's tough to listen to Blackstar now, given the weight behind Bowie's words, but it's such an incredible, fitting swan song for an artist that challenged expectations to the very end.

This and the death of James Gandolfini have hit me the hardest of any artists or celebrities. I think it's because they're both two of the most instrumental in the formative period of my life wherein I really began to discover art and its place in my personality and how it eventually shaped my future. Bowie in particular, was so crucial at that stage, it's a distinct possibility without him I wouldn't have connected to art as an idea or fixation in such a way of be driven to spend so much of my life investing in it as an interest and profession. I also might not have joined communities like this one and others like the one where I met my wife and so many other friends and people who further shaped my worldview and tastes. It goes on and on this way, but yeah, all to say it's a funny sensation seeing such enormous outpouring of emotion from such a wide array of people following this, and it brings me close to them in a weird way since my own connection to Bowie is so personal.

Anyway Blackstar is fucking astounding the more I listen to it. Definitely stands strong in the top tier.

Did we already know Lance was married?

Anyone else finding that his most simple, overplayed songs are the ones sticking with you at the moment? I've had Changes and Starman stuck in my head since last night. They're both good songs of course but I'd come to tire a little of them both. But right now, they're just gripping me.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Anyone else finding that his most simple, overplayed songs are the ones sticking with you at the moment? I've had Changes and Starman stuck in my head since last night. They're both good songs of course but I'd come to tire a little of them both. But right now, they're just gripping me.

No, I'm thinking about complex stuff like Bring Me The Disco King and A Small Plot of Land.

You're an amateur.

I've had "Five Years" stuck in my head all day. It's hard for me to listen to anything other than Bowie today.

I've had "Five Years" stuck in my head all day. It's hard for me to listen to anything other than Bowie today.

I've basically only listened to Bowie today. Blackstar, Heroes, The Labyrinth Soundtrack (to cheer myself up after that duo), The Next Day and I've been listening to A Reality Tour on and off for the last few hours as work permits.

I didn't know anyone didn't know that.

Not all of us have been deemed worthy of being in Lance's inner circle.

Was in total shock this morning when I saw after listening to Blackstar all weekend! I was thinking how he's been on such a creative streak with this & Next Day and couldn't wait to see what he'd do next. Sad, cancer can take anyone. At least he went out with a hit album and a much talked about new music video.

Today I listened to Blackstar, Heathen, Lodger (suck it, Cobbler), and Leon (unreleased outtakes from Outside). Currently at a local dive bar where they're playing all Bowie all night. Decent selection, got some Labyrinth, Earthling, Heathen and other deep cuts to go along with the classic hits.

I really hope the online community he met her through wasn't At Ease.

There are no women on atease.

Whoever it is playing drums on the whole Blackstar album is a real talent. I saw that James Murphy contributed percussion to a couple of tracks (surprisingly, the shorter ones), but I can't credit him for everything this time.

Last edited:
I think it's my least favorite as well. It simply doesn't stick with me. I have yet to listen to the original recordings, so perhaps I would prefer the early take.

Tis a Pity is difficult to listen to because the vocal is so strained and weary, but the music is the exact opposite and it's absolutely thrilling. Fucking insane drums. The whole track feels like it's on the verge of hyperventilation.

Finally sitting down and listening with a bottle of wine. Man, the way he sings "I / I will be king" at the midpoint of "Heroes" ... that might be my favourite vocal moment of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom