David Bowie: The next thread and the next thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This album was on track to get a boat load of awards on its very outstanding merits
Now every jerk off will be on the band wàgon

Last edited:
Fuck cancer, btw. But seriously. A part of music history is gone. But we have the music.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

January 10 2016 - David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer. While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family’s privacy during their time of grief.

Well, I did not know he had cancer.

30 minutes before the news spread I was texting a friend about how good Blackstar is.. And then had to text this: "uhh, David Bowie is dead?" Very surreal. A part of music history is gone, though the music carries on, we'd still like the creator to be around a bit longer. Cancer is horrible, and death is inevitable, but still. let's enjoy his legacy as fans of music and fans of David Bowie.

Also, the final videos and lyrical content of some of Blackstar's songs now take on new context and meaning.

30 minutes before the news spread I was texting a friend about how good Blackstar is.. And then had to text this: "uhh, David Bowie is dead?" Very surreal. A part of music history is gone, though the music carries on, we'd still like the creator to be around a bit longer. Cancer is horrible, and death is inevitable, but still. let's enjoy his legacy as fans of music and fans of David Bowie.

It's a strange sort of wonderful that we got this one last record.

I was happy just getting The Next Day. Another one, and one that is so wonderfully him, is such a beautiful postscript.

It's too weird
this is unsettling for us, but for him, his family and loved ones they are at a better place
I've been there at the end with cancer patients, hospice and loved ones, the last couple of weeks are grueling beyond belief I hope you never have to experience it.

I'm shocked. I woke and they were interviewing someone about Bowie and I just thought they were celebrating his new album. So sad.

If I believed in the afterlife, I'd be imagining a nice reunion like this:

Ever the showman, releasing a final grand testament two days before his death.

Not that I've ever been the world's biggest Bowie fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't think I've been that shocked about the death of anyone I don't know/celebrity death since Joe Strummer.

Last edited:
Shocked and utterly saddened. I've grown up on Bowie my whole life. I just can't believe this.

Every time I catch myself getting sad, I turn on the magic dance. It's working wonders.

I can hardly believe the same person did that, the music, the costumes, the art, the films, everything he's done in his career. What a wonderful, magic man.

I want to go back and examine Blackstar in all its apocryphal glory, but it's way too soon.

Finding Bowie albums in 2003 propelled me down the rabbit hole of record collecting. I'd end up at the David Bowie section and I knew I could go home with something worthwhile. I built up a collection of his 70s to 80s works and it also helped me understand the connection of Eno and Roxy Music and Mott the Hoople. It was like he was the DNA of 70s glam rock.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom