David Bowie: The next thread and the next thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thrilled to hear this in proper quality in just a few hours. First impression is that this is my favorite Bowie album since Heroes, but we'll see how it holds up.

Early reviews have been great. 8.5 BNM from P4k, nearly a full point higher than The Next Day, which seems fair to me.

Last edited:
Great album! Interesting that 'Tis a Pity She Was a Whore and Sue (Or in a Season of Crime) were reworked.

Last edited:
This new album is brilliant. What a really stunning artist Bowie is.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

been away for ages, log in to give my thoughts about new album by God, & people prattling on about coldplay, beyonce & rihanna, what the fuck is going on here, on a BOWIE thread, how in fucks name can people mention those said karaoke singers & U2 tribute bands on a fucking BOWIE thread!!!!! rant over,

Anyway, Blackstar, wow! well worth the wait, again, from the LEGEND that is DAVID BOWIE, the title track is the particular jewel in this crown, can't say I was too keen on Sue, from the Nothing Has Changed best of, much prefer this re-working, Lazarus,Dollar Days, & I Can't Give...are deliciously laid back slabs of BOWIE at his coolest, Girl Loves Me, as Samuel L. Jackson would say, "you kiss your mother with that mouth!" can't see it being released as a single, but catchy as hell, if I have any gripes about this album, there's not enough of it, should have saved Atomica, & The Informer from The Next Day Extra to put on here, but all in all, another great album from Bowie, 4.7/5

The first part of this post will make absolutely no sense whatsoever, unless you read the U2 tribute band thread, by mistake, as I did:huh:

It sounds like a mix between Peter Gabriel and TV on The Radio (and Bowie).
I had great difficulty figuring out what was going on though.
Maybe should try again with lyrics in front of me.

Peef and Cobbler need to get their shit together and listen to this.

Last edited:
I really admire what he's done here. A much less "safe" album than The Next Day, that's for sure, and has none of that album's filler. Yes, another couple songs would be nice, but I'm not retroactively complaining about Station to Station.

Highlights for me are the title track, my title track, Dollar Days, and the swoon-worthy finale. But there's nothing subpar here at all.

Having said all that, I can't call this "best Bowie album since (insert classic title)", because I still prefer Heathen, for now at least. That album suffers a bit from too many covers but those 9 originals are damn strong, and the opener and closer are phenomenal. It wasn't a safe album either, despite having a couple nods to the past like Slow Burn and Slip Away.

I agree. An absolutely fantastic album that feels uniquely Bowie, but also unlike anything he's done before. The title track is masterfully weird, Lazarus is an excellent slow burner, Sue (Or In a Season of a Crime) is wonderfully chaotic and the closer is gorgeous. It's one of those albums where you want to flip the record over and start listening again as soon as it's finished.

I enjoyed this album, but can't help feeling a bit let down. Blackstar, both the song and video, presented it as an avant conceptual piece of some sort, but really the great majority of the album is pretty straight-forward and nowhere near as daring as the title track. I vastly prefer Sue and Tis a Pity in their earlier incarnations as well.

It's one of those albums where you want to flip the record over and start listening again as soon as it's finished.

Yeah, I'm feeling myself being drawn back to this album far more than I was with The Next Day after my first couple of listens. I went back to individual tracks from TND, but the full experience wasn't as rewarding.

I enjoyed this album, but can't help feeling a bit let down. Blackstar, both the song and video, presented it as an avant conceptual piece of some sort, but really the great majority of the album is pretty straight-forward and nowhere near as daring as the title track. I vastly prefer Sue and Tis a Pity in their earlier incarnations as well.

Not surprising coming from someone who thinks Animal Collective's "experimental" music is good ?

Not surprising coming from someone who thinks Animal Collective's "experimental" music is good ?

Well I'm far from an apologist for Animal Collective. I appreciate some of their early ambient stuff like Spirit They've Gone, but something like Here Comes the Indian is unlistenable IMO.

I'm not an advocate of experimentation just for the sake of experimentation, but in Bowie's hands I was looking forward to the free-jazz dynamic that was in the earlier version of Sue. I thought you were digging those earlier versions as well?

I absolutely was. Yet to hear Blackstar so reserving judgement. Just having some fun with ya.

His official FB and Twitter pages have been hacked. Now 10 minutes and counting that they've had messages announcing his death up...

So sad. Fuck.

I will say, it's great and comforting to know that we have so much of his music to listen to and discover and rediscover.

And he has a brand new, final artistic statement. Something beautiful about that. He must have known he was close to the end and wanted a last word? I'm buying Blackstar first thing in the morning.

I've never really been a fan but this is pretty devastating. Especially so soon after his new album. I hadn't even realised he was battling cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom