David Bowie survivor - Lodger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I'm afraid the cat's eaten it.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cobl04

45:33
Great voting last round people. Beauty and the Beast, Joe the Lion, "Heroes" and Secret Life of Arabia will be joining us in the playoffs.

Unfortunately, now we're up to Lodger.

1979-lodger_1257350746_crop_570x280.jpg

Three songs will go through from this album. so vote for yer three favs.

Despite all my protestations, this isn't a bad album. Will have to give it a spin to decide what to vote for alongside Look Back in Anger, which is easily the best track.

Listening to this now for the first time. Accidentally turned on "I Pray, Ole" as the first track. Seeing now it's not even on the album, I'm depressed as hell. I was really enjoying that.

To me, this isn't a particularly great album. Eschewing the vocal/instrumental demarcation by simply making the rock songs more adventurous is an interesting idea on paper, but the lack of interest Bowie and Eno had in working with one another by this point shows up in the form of undercooked songwriting and overzealous arrangements that need polish.

The best songs here are Fantastic Voyage and Look Back In Anger and neither of those would crack the top 4 from the previous two albums, though I do like them both. My final vote would either go to Move On, Red Sails or Boys Keep Swinging. Red Sails gets it because of its truly bizarre lyrics. Seems like Bowie barely tried on the other two.

I know this album has its staunch defenders, but it's tough to find anything here that really feels finals-worthy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom