David Bowie survivor - "Heroes"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Selling?? Very good, very good!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cobl04

45:33
WELL! It appears my plea in the last thread was heard, Speed of Life will join Sound n Vision, Continuously Smashing in an Identical Motor Vehicle, New Career in a New Town and the wonderful Subterraneans in the playoffs.

Now we move onto "Heroes". I'm not a big fan of the cover, I think it was a poor decision to take away the white box and black arial text.

1david-bowie-heroes.jpg

FOUR go thru
so vote for FOUR

"Heroes" goes without saying, and might win the whole thing, so I'm going to throw my four votes at four other tracks on here that I love very dearly: Beauty and the Beast, Joe the Lion, Blackout and Secret Life of Arabia. God I love the second half of Arabia.

Beauty and the Beast
Joe the Lion
Heroes
V2 Schneider

The first 6 tracks: 10/10
The rest: 6/10

I love the instrumentals here almost as much as the ones from Low. Moss Garden is beautiful.

I greatly prefer these ones, at least to the corresponding tracks on Low - Warszawa, Art Decade, Weeping Wall. Neuköln is my favourite, those tortured horns are incredible.

As someone who greatly enjoys the instrumentals on Low and has a fondness for ambient music, I'm not sure what, if any, appeal tracks 7-9 carry. They're not particularly well integrated into the surrounding material either, unlike the Low instrumentals.

Last edited:
Bowie's entire career is haunted by Emma Watson.

"Letter to Hermione"

The "Heroes" moments in Perks of Being a Wallflower.

"Fame"

"Queen Bitch"

"I'm Afraid of Americans"

Etc.

Moss Garden is one of those songs that almost instantly brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it. I have absolutely no idea why. But my sister and I have a long-running joke about it because it came up on shuffle once while she was hanging out in my room and she just gave me the biggest, "Ashley, wtf?" look ever. So I played it up as if it was this huge arena rock song, and she just had to wait, it was gonna happen. She just kept going, "Ashley, what is this?" And I just kept saying, "It's MOSS. GARDEN. Just listen."

Probably a had to be there moment, but anyways...I'm half tempted to do what Cobbler did and not vote for Heroes so I can vote for my other favorites, but that would completely defeat the purpose of the poll, so:

Heroes
Moss Garden
Beauty and the Beast
V-2 Schneider

Very sad not to be voting for Blackout, Neuköln or Secret Life of Arabia

right, i'm in bed with a fucking splitting headache so that's my excuse sorry, BUT ... I wasn't paying attention took one look at the poll and voted for the one song i liked LEAST (secret life of arabia) like the u2 survivors

could you please ignore that one vote and add one each to

Beauty And The Beast
Joe The Lion
V-2 Schneider
Moss Garden

(also ignoring Heroes as it's just great and a dead cert so what's the point :wink: )

But if I take off that vote Secret Life of Arabia might not get through :(

Glad to see some love for it, as well as a little bit for Blackout too. The latter is insane.

This batch of instrumentals is more eclectic than that on Low. That said, I don't think any of them stand up to the more conventional tracks. I went with Beauty and the Beast, Heroes, Sons of the Silent Age, and Secret Life of Arabia (that piano!).

The "straightforward" rock tracks were so fresh and cutting edge that they haven't aged a minute. That first half is fucking awesome and I've never heard anything else quite like it.

I keep bringing these albums with me in the car for a fresh listen so I can vote, but then I forget to pay close enough attention to remember which tracks are which.

Beauty And The Beast is a great, great opening track but on Joe The Lion, once that guitar riff comes back with that pounding drumbeat after the first verse it's one of the best parts of the whole album :drool:

Fucking oath. We should give a shout out to Robert Fripp, he absolutely slays on this album. Probably my second fav track on the record. It's got great lyrics too, they're about a performance artist called Chris Burden.

Back
Top Bottom