David Bowie survivor - extraneous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Alright so FOUR songs from The Next Day will join us in the next round.

The Title Track
The Stars (Are Out Tonight)
Love is Lost
Where are We Now?

Now we've gotta put through some b-sides etc.

I like Ashley's idea - nominate which TWO songs you'd like to see through. After say three days I'll tally it up and see if we have a consensus. His discography is overwhelming so I don't have any idea where to start for this round. If people want to post youtube clips and stuff that would be sweet.

My votes are for "John, I'm Only Dancing" (the original that was a post-Ziggy standalone single, not the (Again) version) and the James Murphy remix of Love is Lost.

Hope we can chat about John, I'm Only Dancing a bit. Honestly one of my favourite Bowie songs. Better than several actual album tracks. The chorus, which takes a brilliant subversively dark sort of turn after a stock-standard glam Bowie verse, is just to die for.

All Saints
Sweet Head

Was going to vote for John, I'm Only Dancing, but since it's going to get through I vote for Sweet Head. The original version of Candidate is great, too.

John, I'm Only Dancing, Velvet Goldmine (great song!) and Love is Lost (Hello Steve Reich Mix by James Murphy for the DFA) all going through.

Will start the playoffs tonight.

And before you know it, "Heroes" will be crowned the winner :lol:

You really think Heroes is the favorite? I don't think it would crack my top ten Bowie songs, honestly, but maybe I'm in the minority there.

I just struggle to see what will beat it. Should be entertaining. Maybe Station to Station? What I forsee: I think in his glam era there will be too many songs of a similar sound that will split votes, and I think the love will be spread across the tracks from Low. Nothing from then onwards is likely to have a chance. "Heroes" will be a song that will peeps will be loathe to vote out and it will end up hanging on.

^Young Americans your fav Bowie track? Wow. Unexpected, but cool. This is totally unfair but I don't dig that track all that much because it reminds me of so many Brian Cadd songs that my parents used to play before I ever heard Young Americans as I became a Bowie fan.

Young Americans is up there for me as well. My favorite, though, is Lady Grinning Soul.

Always Crashing in the Same Car and Lady Stardust would also be in the top ten.

John, I'm Only Dancing, Velvet Goldmine (great song!) and Love is Lost (Hello Steve Reich Mix by James Murphy for the DFA) all going through.

Will start the playoffs tonight.

And before you know it, "Heroes" will be crowned the winner :lol:

Hey, buddy, All the Young Dudes also had two votes :p

"All the Young Dudes" is a song written by David Bowie,
Track listings

All tracks written by David Bowie except as noted.
Track listings note: The first unique track reference contains all information pertaining to that song and version, including song writing credits, source and length. Subsequent references only mention song and version.
CD: Virgin-EMI / 7243 5 41930 2 (US) // EMI 7243 5 42244 2 3 (Canada)

CD 1

1. "Space Oddity"
  2. "The Man Who Sold the World"
  3. "Changes"
  4. "Life on Mars?"
  5. "Moonage Daydream" (from Ziggy Stardust, 1972) – 4:37
  6. "Suffragette City"
  7. "Ziggy Stardust"
  8. "All the Young Dudes" (from The Best of David Bowie 1969/1974, 1997) – 4:11
  9. "The Jean Genie"
  10. "Panic in Detroit" (from Aladdin Sane, 1973) – 4:25
  11. "Rebel Rebel"
  12. "Diamond Dogs"
  13. "Young Americans" (US single version) – 3:15
  14. "Fame"
  15. "Golden Years" (single version, 1975) – 3:22
  16. "TVC 15" (single version, 1976) – 3:43
  17. "Sound and Vision"
  18. "Heroes" (single version)
  19. "DJ" (Bowie, Eno, Alomar) (from Lodger, 1979) – 3:59

CD 2

1. "Ashes to Ashes" (single version)
  2. "Fashion" (single version)
  3. "Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)" (single version)
  4. "Under Pressure" (with Queen)
  5. "Cat People (Putting Out Fire)" (Bowie, Giorgio Moroder) (single version, 1982) – 4:08
  6. "Let's Dance" (single version)
  7. "China Girl" (single version)
  8. "Modern Love"
  9. "Blue Jean"
  10. "This Is Not America" (with The Pat Metheny Group)
  11. "Dancing in the Street" (with Mick Jagger, instrumental)
  12. "Absolute Beginners" (single version)
  13. "Time Will Crawl" (from Never Let Me Down, 1987) – 4:18
  14. Tin Machine: "Under the God" (from Tin Machine, 1989) – 4:06
  15. "Jump They Say" (radio edit)
  16. "The Heart's Filthy Lesson" (Bowie, Sterling Campbell, Eno, Reeves Gabrels, Mike Garson, Erdal Kizilcay) (radio edit, 1995) – 3:34
  17. "I'm Afraid of Americans" (V1 radio edit)
  18. "Thursday's Child" (Bowie, Gabrels) (radio edit, 1999) – 4:25
  19. "Slow Burn" (radio edit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rajof9Qigos

It's also not a "pick your favorite James Murphy remix" survivor :p

His remixes probably have more original material in them than his actual songs.

Back
Top Bottom