David Bowie Song Survivor - "...Ziggy Stardust..." Voting - Round 2 of 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fuck you, Laz, I post when I post.

• Five Years

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Soul Love

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Starman

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It Ain't Easy

• Lady Stardust

• Star

• Hang on to Yourself

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Ziggy Stardust

• Suffragette City

• Rock 'n' Roll Suicide

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phillyfan26

Blue Crack Supplier
Vote for your favorite song!

Moonage Daydream won this album, getting 6 of the high 19 votes in the first round.

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars gets five more.

This poll will be open for twenty-four hours.

THE TOURNAMENT
1. When I Live My Dream*
2. Space Oddity*
3. Memory of a Free Festival
4. The Man Who Sold the World*
5. The Width of a Circle
6. Saviour Machine
7. Life on Mars?*
8. Queen Bitch
9. Changes
10. Oh! You Pretty Things
11. Moonage Daydream*

* - Denotes Album Champion

She's a tongue twisting storm, she'll come to the show tonight
Praying to the light machine
She's a funky-thigh collector.........

We just ball & play, move like tigers on vaseline

Well the bitter comes out better..............................
You're the blessed,
we're the spiders from mars

Hang On :rockon:

COBL_04 said:

That's better :D

It just doesn't go anywhere, Star is more exciting and has a bette outro.

Ugh...I just played Star again trying to understand the appeal, but it's not good at all. The backing OOOH WAH WAHs are painful, and the track just feels rushed in general. It Ain't Easy gets a bad rap, but at least it kicks ass. Hang On To Yourself is a bit throwaway, but it's one of the most fun tracks Bowie ever recorded. Honestly, other than Star, this album is rock-solid.

You know what, I have a bit of feeling we are destined to disagree on this topic.

In the meantime, does anyone want to give me possible explanations for the following tracks: Soul Love, Moonage Daydream, Lady Stardust, Hang on to Yourself, Suffragette City and RnR Suicide in terms of the "story"?? I'm writing a bit of piece and need a few more ideas for those songs.

OK, this I can help you with, my friend. :D

The basic story of Ziggy is that an alien with RAWK in his blood comes to earth as it's decaying and near its end. Now, in his course towards fame he does some mingling with the population, obviously. :wink: Soul Love is Ziggy trying to wrap his mind around the concept of love, particularly between young people. It's not important to the story, really, but it gives you can idea of how his mind functions.

Moonage Daydream is, in my opinion, a hit song by the Spiders From Mars, with Ziggy on vocals. Again, not important to the story in particular, but it gives you an idea of what they sound like as a band and why their sound would be so shocking to what appears to be late 50's America; the musical era that is often parodied throughout the album.

Lady Stardust is a shot of the fans drooling over Ziggy. It frames everything, and gives you an idea of how he became so popular. Who "Lady Stardust" is, I have no idea. Perhaps Ziggy himself. :lol:

Hang On To Yourself is a parody of 50's rock n' roll and, like Moonage Daydream, an original composition by the Spiders From Mars, and not so much a key plot point.

Suffragette City is about excess. It shows the band falling apart from the inside out, exhausted and oversexed. It segues well into Rock N' Roll Suicide, as it gives context to that broken track. It's unclear what "suicide" is referring to, I don't believe it's literal, but there's a sense of giving up in that track. He had grown so tired of the rock lifestyle and being on earth that he just couldn't take it anymore.

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:

The basic story of Ziggy is that an alien with RAWK in his blood comes to earth as it's decaying and near its end. Now, in his course towards fame he does some mingling with the population, obviously. :wink: Soul Love is Ziggy trying to wrap his mind around the concept love, particularly between young people. It's not important to the story, really, but it gives you can idea of how his mind functions.

Moonage Daydream is, in my opinion, a hit song by the Spiders From Mars, with Ziggy on vocals. Again, not important to the story in particular, but it gives you an idea of what they sound like as a band and why their sound would be so shocking to what appears to be late 50's America; the musical era that is often parodied throughout the album.

Lady Stardust is a shot of the fans drooling over Ziggy. It frames everything, and gives you an idea of how he became so popular. Who "Lady Stardust" is, I have no idea. Perhaps Ziggy himself. :lol:

Hang On To Yourself is a parody of 50's rock n' roll and, like Moonage Daydream, an original composition by the Spiders From Mars, and not so much a key plot point.

Suffragette City is about excess. It shows the band falling apart from the inside out, exhausted and oversexed. It segues well into Rock N' Roll Suicide, as it gives context to that broken track. It's unclear what "suicide" is referring to, I don't believe it's literal, but there's a sense of giving up in that track. He had grown so tired of the rock lifestyle and being on earth that he just couldn't take it anymore.

Thanks heaps man!! That helps my little piece. I kind of had the same idea about Moonage Daydream (this piece I'm doing is 110% subjective) I reckon when the man in Starman turns on the radio, the song he's hearing is Moonage Daydream. That's what i say anyway.

Didn't know about the whole 50s parody thing, either. I agree too, about RnR Suicide not referring literally to suicide, I think you know when poeple say things like, "oh that's musical suicide" or "business suicide" I reckon it's more in that vein.

Cheers mate!

Oh and by the way I FINALLy got me email back from epinions, and posted my Dark Side review, not before it was posted under 'The Wall' and "Paradigm speakers" first however. I'm working on a VU & N review at the mo.

COBL_04 said:

Thanks heaps man!! That helps my little piece. I kind of had the same idea about Moonage Daydream (this piece I'm doing is 110% subjective) I reckon when the man in Starman turns on the radio, the song he's hearing is Moonage Daydream. That's what i say anyway.

Didn't know about the whole 50s parody thing, either. I agree too, about RnR Suicide not referring literally to suicide, I think you know when poeple say things like, "oh that's musical suicide" or "business suicide" I reckon it's more in that vein.

Cheers mate!

Oh and by the way I FINALLy got me email back from epinions, and posted my Dark Side review, not before it was posted under 'The Wall' and "Paradigm speakers" first however. I'm working on a VU & N review at the mo.

:up: Glad you can make use of it. The 50's thing is just a guess, but it sure sounds like it to me. Aussies rarely have the same knowledge of American culture as someone entrenched in it would (and vice-versa), but all it takes is a viewing of Back To The Future to get an idea of what's being parodied here, from the musical styles, to the ice cream parlors. :wink:

What's your username on epinions? I want to check out your review.

LemonMelon said:

:up: Glad you can make use of it. The 50's thing is just a guess, but it sure sounds like it to me. Aussies rarely have the same knowledge of American culture as someone entrenched in it would (and vice-versa), but all it takes is a viewing of Back To The Future to get an idea of what's being parodied here, from the musical styles, to the ice cream parlors. :wink:

What's your username on epinions? I want to check out your review.

:lol: It's reason 99% of the jokes here go over my head. So many threads I've seen between the likes of yourself, Lemonmac, pfan, lazarus, etc etc etc etc and I have absolutely no idea what is happening.

I love music being subjective :drool:

Uhm I believe it's pappy90. Pretty sure anyway :lol:

My Dad thinks Heroin (VU&N) is the worst song he has ever heard, I just can't get enough of it, so that's why that review is next. Do you have their self-titled (minus Nico and John Cale I think??)

My Dad also thinks that music would have been so much better without drugs.

COBL_04 said:

:lol: It's reason 99% of the jokes here go over my head. So many threads I've seen between the likes of yourself, Lemonmac, pfan, lazarus, etc etc etc etc and I have absolutely no idea what is happening.

I love music being subjective :drool:

Uhm I believe it's pappy90. Pretty sure anyway :lol:

My Dad thinks Heroin (VU&N) is the worst song he has ever heard, I just can't get enough of it, so that's why that review is next. Do you have their self-titled (minus Nico and John Cale I think??)

My Dad also thinks that music would have been so much better without drugs.

And, as I said before, the same goes for some of the discussion between Ax, Coolian, and the other Aussies. My eyes just cross. :lmao:

Read your review, will leave a comment in a minute. I will try to review Coldplay's X&Y (a negative review, you can be sure :wink: ) and Tom Waits' Bone Machine next. I like to review in pairs, because I can seldom just write one review in a row. I need to do more, but then I get burned out.

Heroin is an amazing song. Truly touching and powerful. VU&N is a mixed bag but, at its best, it's really a cool record, and certainly influential. I do have their self-titled, and it's probably their most consistent album. I ADORE What Goes On and have some very personal memories attached to it.

LemonMelon said:

And, as I said before, the same goes for some of the discussion between Ax, Coolian, and the other Aussies. My eyes just cross. :lmao:

Read your review, will leave a comment in a minute. I will try to review Coldplay's X&Y (a negative review, you can be sure :wink: ) and Tom Waits' Bone Machine next. I like to review in pairs, because I can seldom just write one review in a row. I need to do more, but then I get burned out.

Heroin is an amazing song. Truly touching and powerful. VU&N is a mixed bag but, at its best, it's really a cool record, and certainly influential. I do have their self-titled, and it's probably their most consistent album. I ADORE What Goes On and have some very personal memories attached to it.

:lol: Yeah. Tomato, tomato. (not as effective when typed).

X&Y. :lol: That would be decent if I could hear anything apart from drowning synth and those vocals.

I love Heroin, from start to finish. For some reason I love songs about drugs. I am a fan of Vu&N cos I love the subject matter. I do plan to check out the rest, but later down the road.

Anyway I really need to get back to working out what alcohol and carboxylic acids were used to make ethly propanoate, so thanks again, and catchya later.

LemonMelon said:

The basic story of Ziggy is that an alien with RAWK in his blood comes to earth as it's decaying and near its end. Now, in his course towards fame he does some mingling with the population, obviously. :wink: Soul Love is Ziggy trying to wrap his mind around the concept of love, particularly between young people. It's not important to the story, really, but it gives you can idea of how his mind functions.

Very intresting out look on it.

Your quite right about Suffragette City, it does lead very well in to Rock n Roll Suicide
I've always thought it was about the next step to the end of the band and Ziggy.
The last show they played also suggest that idea as well.

But thats one way of looking at it, because Aladdin Sane which was released in the same year is said to be the "cracking up" of Ziggy.

It is all very confusing, there must be a method to his madness as Ziggy, and when someone finds this out I want to be one of the first to know, because its brillant.

Five Years, I suppose.

Beyond this point, I'm going to have to re-listen to this album to vote. Ugh. Guess I'll just wait for Station To Station to hurry up and get here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom