David Bowie Song Survivor - "...Ziggy Stardust..." Voting - Round 2 of 6 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Fuck you, Laz, I post when I post.
Five Years 2 15.38%
Soul Love 0 0%
Starman 1 7.69%
It Ain't Easy 0 0%
Lady Stardust 1 7.69%
Star 0 0%
Hang on to Yourself 4 30.77%
Ziggy Stardust 2 15.38%
Suffragette City 2 15.38%
Rock 'n' Roll Suicide 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2008, 02:52 AM   #16
45:33

Local Time: 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
OK, this I can help you with, my friend.

The basic story of Ziggy is that an alien with RAWK in his blood comes to earth as it's decaying and near its end. Now, in his course towards fame he does some mingling with the population, obviously. Soul Love is Ziggy trying to wrap his mind around the concept love, particularly between young people. It's not important to the story, really, but it gives you can idea of how his mind functions.

Moonage Daydream is, in my opinion, a hit song by the Spiders From Mars, with Ziggy on vocals. Again, not important to the story in particular, but it gives you an idea of what they sound like as a band and why their sound would be so shocking to what appears to be late 50's America; the musical era that is often parodied throughout the album.

Lady Stardust is a shot of the fans drooling over Ziggy. It frames everything, and gives you an idea of how he became so popular. Who "Lady Stardust" is, I have no idea. Perhaps Ziggy himself.

Hang On To Yourself is a parody of 50's rock n' roll and, like Moonage Daydream, an original composition by the Spiders From Mars, and not so much a key plot point.

Suffragette City is about excess. It shows the band falling apart from the inside out, exhausted and oversexed. It segues well into Rock N' Roll Suicide, as it gives context to that broken track. It's unclear what "suicide" is referring to, I don't believe it's literal, but there's a sense of giving up in that track. He had grown so tired of the rock lifestyle and being on earth that he just couldn't take it anymore.
Thanks heaps man!! That helps my little piece. I kind of had the same idea about Moonage Daydream (this piece I'm doing is 110% subjective) I reckon when the man in Starman turns on the radio, the song he's hearing is Moonage Daydream. That's what i say anyway.

Didn't know about the whole 50s parody thing, either. I agree too, about RnR Suicide not referring literally to suicide, I think you know when poeple say things like, "oh that's musical suicide" or "business suicide" I reckon it's more in that vein.

Cheers mate!

Oh and by the way I FINALLy got me email back from epinions, and posted my Dark Side review, not before it was posted under 'The Wall' and "Paradigm speakers" first however. I'm working on a VU & N review at the mo.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:02 AM   #17
The Male

Local Time: 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04

Thanks heaps man!! That helps my little piece. I kind of had the same idea about Moonage Daydream (this piece I'm doing is 110% subjective) I reckon when the man in Starman turns on the radio, the song he's hearing is Moonage Daydream. That's what i say anyway.

Didn't know about the whole 50s parody thing, either. I agree too, about RnR Suicide not referring literally to suicide, I think you know when poeple say things like, "oh that's musical suicide" or "business suicide" I reckon it's more in that vein.

Cheers mate!

Oh and by the way I FINALLy got me email back from epinions, and posted my Dark Side review, not before it was posted under 'The Wall' and "Paradigm speakers" first however. I'm working on a VU & N review at the mo.
Glad you can make use of it. The 50's thing is just a guess, but it sure sounds like it to me. Aussies rarely have the same knowledge of American culture as someone entrenched in it would (and vice-versa), but all it takes is a viewing of Back To The Future to get an idea of what's being parodied here, from the musical styles, to the ice cream parlors.

What's your username on epinions? I want to check out your review.

Now.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:15 AM   #18

Quote:

Glad you can make use of it. The 50's thing is just a guess, but it sure sounds like it to me. Aussies rarely have the same knowledge of American culture as someone entrenched in it would (and vice-versa), but all it takes is a viewing of Back To The Future to get an idea of what's being parodied here, from the musical styles, to the ice cream parlors.

What's your username on epinions? I want to check out your review.
It's reason 99% of the jokes here go over my head. So many threads I've seen between the likes of yourself, Lemonmac, pfan, lazarus, etc etc etc etc and I have absolutely no idea what is happening.

I love music being subjective

Uhm I believe it's pappy90. Pretty sure anyway

My Dad thinks Heroin (VU&N) is the worst song he has ever heard, I just can't get enough of it, so that's why that review is next. Do you have their self-titled (minus Nico and John Cale I think??)

My Dad also thinks that music would have been so much better without drugs.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:23 AM   #19
The Male

Quote:

It's reason 99% of the jokes here go over my head. So many threads I've seen between the likes of yourself, Lemonmac, pfan, lazarus, etc etc etc etc and I have absolutely no idea what is happening.

I love music being subjective

Uhm I believe it's pappy90. Pretty sure anyway

My Dad thinks Heroin (VU&N) is the worst song he has ever heard, I just can't get enough of it, so that's why that review is next. Do you have their self-titled (minus Nico and John Cale I think??)

My Dad also thinks that music would have been so much better without drugs.
And, as I said before, the same goes for some of the discussion between Ax, Coolian, and the other Aussies. My eyes just cross.

Read your review, will leave a comment in a minute. I will try to review Coldplay's X&Y (a negative review, you can be sure ) and Tom Waits' Bone Machine next. I like to review in pairs, because I can seldom just write one review in a row. I need to do more, but then I get burned out.

Heroin is an amazing song. Truly touching and powerful. VU&N is a mixed bag but, at its best, it's really a cool record, and certainly influential. I do have their self-titled, and it's probably their most consistent album. I ADORE What Goes On and have some very personal memories attached to it.

Now.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:30 AM   #20

Quote:

And, as I said before, the same goes for some of the discussion between Ax, Coolian, and the other Aussies. My eyes just cross.

Read your review, will leave a comment in a minute. I will try to review Coldplay's X&Y (a negative review, you can be sure ) and Tom Waits' Bone Machine next. I like to review in pairs, because I can seldom just write one review in a row. I need to do more, but then I get burned out.

Heroin is an amazing song. Truly touching and powerful. VU&N is a mixed bag but, at its best, it's really a cool record, and certainly influential. I do have their self-titled, and it's probably their most consistent album. I ADORE What Goes On and have some very personal memories attached to it.
Yeah. Tomato, tomato. (not as effective when typed).

X&Y. That would be decent if I could hear anything apart from drowning synth and those vocals.

I love Heroin, from start to finish. For some reason I love songs about drugs. I am a fan of Vu&N cos I love the subject matter. I do plan to check out the rest, but later down the road.

Anyway I really need to get back to working out what alcohol and carboxylic acids were used to make ethly propanoate, so thanks again, and catchya later.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:36 AM   #21
The Male

Quote:

Yeah. Tomato, tomato. (not as effective when typed).

Glad to be of help. See ya.

Now.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:42 AM   #22
War Child

Local Time: 03:22 AM
Quote:
OK, this I can help you with, my friend.

The basic story of Ziggy is that an alien with RAWK in his blood comes to earth as it's decaying and near its end. Now, in his course towards fame he does some mingling with the population, obviously. Soul Love is Ziggy trying to wrap his mind around the concept of love, particularly between young people. It's not important to the story, really, but it gives you can idea of how his mind functions.

Moonage Daydream is, in my opinion, a hit song by the Spiders From Mars, with Ziggy on vocals. Again, not important to the story in particular, but it gives you an idea of what they sound like as a band and why their sound would be so shocking to what appears to be late 50's America; the musical era that is often parodied throughout the album.

Lady Stardust is a shot of the fans drooling over Ziggy. It frames everything, and gives you an idea of how he became so popular. Who "Lady Stardust" is, I have no idea. Perhaps Ziggy himself.

Hang On To Yourself is a parody of 50's rock n' roll and, like Moonage Daydream, an original composition by the Spiders From Mars, and not so much a key plot point.

Suffragette City is about excess. It shows the band falling apart from the inside out, exhausted and oversexed. It segues well into Rock N' Roll Suicide, as it gives context to that broken track. It's unclear what "suicide" is referring to, I don't believe it's literal, but there's a sense of giving up in that track. He had grown so tired of the rock lifestyle and being on earth that he just couldn't take it anymore.

Very intresting out look on it.

Your quite right about Suffragette City, it does lead very well in to Rock n Roll Suicide
I've always thought it was about the next step to the end of the band and Ziggy.
The last show they played also suggest that idea as well.

But thats one way of looking at it, because Aladdin Sane which was released in the same year is said to be the "cracking up" of Ziggy.

It is all very confusing, there must be a method to his madness as Ziggy, and when someone finds this out I want to be one of the first to know, because its brillant.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:54 AM   #23
Refugee

ZIGGY !!!!!
Old 05-01-2008, 06:59 AM   #24

Anyone know where I can get like Bowie bootlegs or live shows from the era???
Old 05-01-2008, 07:19 AM   #25
Vocal parasite

Five Years, I suppose.

Beyond this point, I'm going to have to re-listen to this album to vote. Ugh. Guess I'll just wait for Station To Station to hurry up and get here.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-01-2008, 07:22 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:22 AM
Lady Stardust
Old 05-01-2008, 07:28 AM   #27
Refugee

Come on Suffragette City.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 10:22 PM
Quote:
Anyone know where I can get like Bowie bootlegs or live shows from the era???
I'll send you some stuff.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:52 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:22 PM
I voted RNRS again, my second favorite Bowie song ever.

Tags
david bowie survivor, survivor