David Bowie Song Survivor - "Low" Voting - Round 2 of 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duh duh duh duh nuh nah nuh ... nuh.

• Speed of Life

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Breaking Glass

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What in the World

• Sound and Vision

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Always Crashing in the Same Car

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Be My Wife

• Warszawa

• Art Decade

• Weeping Wall

• Subterraneans

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phillyfan26

Blue Crack Supplier
Vote for your favorite song!

A New Career in a New Town won Low, surprising for an instrumental.

Low has five to go.

This poll will be open for twenty-four hours.

THE TOURNAMENT
1. When I Live My Dream*
2. Space Oddity*
3. Memory of a Free Festival
4. The Man Who Sold the World*
5. The Width of a Circle
6. Saviour Machine
7. Life on Mars?*
8. Queen Bitch
9. Changes
10. Oh! You Pretty Things
11. Moonage Daydream*
12. Hang on to Yourself
13. Five Years
14. Suffragette City
15. Starman
16. Rock 'n' Roll Suicide
17. Panic in Detroit*
18. Cracked Actor
19. Watch That Man
20. Drive-In Saturday
21. The Jean Genie
22. See Emily Play*
23. Rebel Rebel*
24. Diamond Dogs
25. 1984
26. Young Americans*
27. Fame
28. Station to Station*
29. Golden Years
30. TVC 15
31. Stay
32. Wild Is the Wind
33. A New Career in a New Town*

* - Denotes Album Champion

Sound and Vision.

Always Crashing, Be My Wife, Subterraneans, and Speed of Life are my other picks.

Listening to Low now... and I'll give the Best Of another spin too. Btw, Bowie fans! Got a question! At the risk of sounding silly... is Ziggy Stardust like his Joshua Tree and Low like his Achtung Baby? I have a feeling if I get Ziggy as the next album, I will like it. I already do like some songs from it.

Ziggy is considered the premiere glam rock album. Not sure how the U2 comparison works considering the genres. U2 has more or less been steady in being an alternative rock band, whereas Bowie's moved from folk/pop to glam to funk to art rock to dance to industrial to electronic and back to just rock.

Zootlesque said:
Listening to Low now... and I'll give the Best Of another spin too. Btw, Bowie fans! Got a question! At the risk of sounding silly... is Ziggy Stardust like his Joshua Tree and Low like his Achtung Baby? I have a feeling if I get Ziggy as the next album, I will like it. I already do like some songs from it.

Like Philly said, Bowie's tread so many genres that the comparison isn't too apt. It's hard to compare Ziggy and Low, but it's also hard to compare Ziggy to Scary Monsters or Outside or Space Oddity or Young Americans, you know?

He's got a wide selection of material that you're bound to like. You may really like his poppy '80s stuff, too. :up:

How about this? Popularity and Accessibility wise, aren't Ziggy and Low the most popular of Bowie's albums like JT & AB are for U2? Maybe I'm wrong.

This may sound funny but I love his song called Jump They Say from 1993's Black Tie White Noise. It may be one of my top favs of his.

Yeah, that's probably an accurate way of putting it.

I'd say Bowie in the 70s was more consistent than U2 ever was. From Space Oddity to Scary Monsters, the only two albums worth skipping are The Man Who Sold the World and Young Americans.

LemonMacPhisto said:
He's got a wide selection of material that you're bound to like. You may really like his poppy '80s stuff, too. :up:

Yeah, there's a lot to go for. What songs from the Best Of do you like/not like?

Zootlesque said:
How about this? Popularity and Accessibility wise, aren't Ziggy and Low the most popular of Bowie's albums like JT & AB are for U2? Maybe I'm wrong.

This may sound funny but I love his song called Jump They Say from 1993's Black Tie White Noise. It may be one of my top favs of his.

Jump They Say's awesome. Tin Machine -> Outside gets pretty overlooked amongst the rest of his catalogue.

LemonMelon said:
Everyone must hear Ziggy Stardust at least once. Don't even attempt to overthink this.

If you ask me, Ziggy, Station to Station, and Low are all must-haves. I also highly recommend Aladdin Sane and Space Oddity.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Jump They Say's awesome. Tin Machine -> Outside gets pretty overlooked amongst the rest of his catalogue.

I've not heard most of it, but Outside is a quality album. Not as good as his 70s stuff, but still an interesting piece.

Outside definitely brings the goods, but the concept behind it is ridiculous. Kind of reminds me of other things.

I think the whole segue thing was absurd, but I thought the concept was unique. I don't like that it's non-linear, though, makes the whole thing too aimless.

phillyfan26 said:
What songs from the Best Of do you like/not like?

Are you asking me? If so, I cannot stand All The Young Dudes, Diamond Dogs and sometimes Young Americans. Also, Fame is kinda boring. And this is only disc 1. :uhoh:

That's what doesn't work for me: the non-linear storyline.

How the fuck can you do that well in music form? ...Even if you are David Bowie.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Outside definitely brings the goods, but the concept behind it is ridiculous. Kind of reminds me of other things.

Did Outside have Little Wonder? I remember enjoying that song in the 90s.

Zootlesque said:

Are you asking me? If so, I cannot stand All The Young Dudes, Diamond Dogs and sometimes Young Americans. Also, Fame is kinda boring. And this is only disc 1. :uhoh:

Yeah, you.

All the Young Dudes is non-album, Diamond Dogs is from Diamond Dogs, and both Young Americans and Fame are from Young Americans.

Young Americans is classic, though, and Laz most likely thinks you're from hell or something.

LemonMacPhisto said:
That's what doesn't work for me: the non-linear storyline.

How the fuck can you do that well in music form? ...Even if you are David Bowie.

It's pretty freaky, man.

But yeah, that just confirms that you wouldn't like Young Americans too much. Really not too much of his material you're disliking there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom