David Bowie - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2007, 02:53 PM   #16
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:56 AM
Don't forget Hunky Dory, it's softer, like Ferrari or Le Tigre, but still kickass.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:23 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
Don't forget Hunky Dory, it's softer, like Ferrari or Le Tigre, but still kickass.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #18
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 04:56 AM
Space Oddity.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:34 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
I don't really buy into the whole "starter record" theory. If an album's good, and you have at least decent taste, you'll like it.
I've never bought into that either. It's like what's the point of waiting to see if a person would like that artist's best work. You'll like it or you won't and at least you didn't spend too much trying to find out if you like them. I agree that Low is a great measuring stick for seeing if you like Bowie.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:34 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

I've never bought into that either. It's like what's the point of waiting to see if a person would like that artist's best work. You'll like it or you won't and at least you didn't spend too much trying to find out if you like them. I agree that Low is a great measuring stick for seeing if you like Bowie.
I disagree.

I know a couple of family friends in their mid-30s who are big nostalgic fans of Joshua Tree-era U2 and early 80s U2, but they completely fell off the fanwagon around Achtung Baby.

They love U2 and get a huge amount of enjoyment from part of the band's catalogue. Just they don't like Achtung Baby onwards doesn't mean that they're not allowed to like other albums from the group.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
I don't really buy into the whole "starter record" theory. If an album's good, and you have at least decent taste, you'll like it.

And Low is Bowie's best album. So if Justin has good taste, he should enjoy Low.
With someone like Bowie, who has such clearly defined segments of a career like U2, I'm quite suprised to see you guys posting crap like this.

--------------

As far as Low - it's a landmark album and the highlight of Bowie's Berlin era. That said, there is NO SONG on Low as poignant as something like Word On a Wing, and personally I think "Heroes" is a stronger and more refined effort.

Low deserves a lot of praise, but not as much as people are quick to heap on it just because they read a review on Allmusic.com

Calling Low the best Bowie has to offer is ridiculous. It ignores one of his signature qualities in his ability to begin a song with a whisper and end it wailing at anyone who will listen. There's a nostalgic, sad quality to songs like Five Years, Word on a Wing, and Five Years you get none of on Low.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:42 AM   #21
Cin
Blue Crack Addict

Location: in the gutter, looking at the stars. . .and smiling
Local Time: 07:56 PM
Is this the one you've been searching for??
Old 08-18-2007, 05:47 AM   #22
45:33

Local Time: 08:56 PM
No, but the second reply had it!

Thanks!!
Old 09-13-2007, 01:59 AM   #23
Refugee

I bought the 2-disc Greatest Hits after seeing a TV special on him 4 years ago, and I was hugely disappointed. It's alright, but I much prefer those who came after him: The Cure, U2, etc. Maybe because the style is so old, it's hard for me to appreciate few songs I've heard from regular albums like "Ziggy Stardust". I also find the production self-consciously extravagant. "The Man Who Sold the World" is much better on Nirvana's acoustic album.

In a wierd way, that black guy performing the songs on "Life Acquatic of Steve Zissou" was more interesting, but maybe it was the shock value of having Bowie songs performed like folk music or something.