David Bowie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well, [perhaps] he's referring to the fact that Brian Eno's influence is obviously rampant throughout Side 2 of said record. :up:

Last edited:
David Bowie is one of my favorites of all time. :drool:

I love to listen to Queen Bitch and so much more while I'm cleaning the house. Turn the music up and just go.

I love that man!!

SUCH a good record! Some tracks on there are very hard to beat...by anyone!

Oh, not to mention Queen Bitch, Quicksand, Rock and Roll Suicide, Starman, Ashes To Ashes, Fashion, Golden Years, Breaking Glass....

I think Breaking Glass has been in my regular playlist rotation for about...forever now.

Anyway I find I am drawn to artists who, like U2, have had long, long careers with many different phases. Bowie's great, if I'm in a punky mood I go for the earlier stuff, 80s mood I go for the later stuff, and if I'm in a BRIAN ENO MOOD I go for the late 70s stuff :drool:

EDIT: But really, isn't ANY mood a good mood to be in a Brian Eno mood? :eyebrow:

Canadiens1160 said:

Anyway I find I am drawn to artists who, like U2, have had long, long careers with many different phases.

:yes: I am the same way for the most part... U2, Beatles, REM, Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam, Radiohead. Okay, the last 2 haven't exactly had very long careers yet but they've made some fucking good experimental music! :drool:

I'm not too sure about Bowie though. I bought the Best Of (2 disc set) and listened to it a couple of times. While songs like Space Oddity, Man Who Sold, Changes, Life On Mars, Moonage Daydream, Ziggy, Rebel Rebel, Sound And Vision etc are amazing, other ones like All The Young Dudes, Young Americans, Cat People, Jean Genie, Fashion etc. seem to bore me to death! Do they grow on you or what? :huh:

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
I love the first album of Bowie.

My brother bought this one for me several years ago and I couldn't listen to it without laughing. Some of the lyrics are really quite awful (Yak butter statues melt in the sun," or "Baby, I'll slay a dragon for you, or banish wicked giants from the land", just to mention a couple) yet now it's really grown on me and I actually enjoy listening to it now and again, though I still can't listen to "There Is a Happy Land". It's definitely a very different sound from what most Bowie fans are used to.

maude said:

My brother bought this one for me several years ago and I couldn't listen to it without laughing. Some of the lyrics are really quite awful (Yak butter statues melt in the sun," or "Baby, I'll slay a dragon for you, or banish wicked giants from the land", just to mention a couple) yet now it's really grown on me and I actually enjoy listening to it now and again, though I still can't listen to "There Is a Happy Land". It's definitely a very different sound from what most Bowie fans are used to.

most Bowie Fans will be very used to the sound of There Is A Happy Land, along with Uncle Arthur, Little Bombadier, Sell Me A Coat, etc,

gareth brown said:
well, [perhaps] he's referring to the fact that Brian Eno's influence is obviously rampant throughout Side 2 of said record. :up:
Well maybe he is, but Eno's influence is nowhere to be found on classics such as Stationtostation, Diamond Dogs, Ziggy, Hunky Dory, Aladdin Sane, Scary Monsters, The Man Who Sold The World,etc. Don't over estimate Eno's contirbution to the legacy Bowie has given to the world.

jimmmm said:

most Bowie Fans will be very used to the sound of There Is A Happy Land, along with Uncle Arthur, Little Bombadier, Sell Me A Coat, etc,

Ok, let me rephrase that, most Bowie fans that I am personally acqauinted with have not been used to the sound on his first album. Happy?

maude said:

The Laughing Gnome ha ha ha hee hee hee :) I'm the Laughing Gnome and you can't catch me!

LOL Hard to believe Bowie wrote those lyrics, and that tune - the drugs were to blame....I hope! :)

David Live has just recently been re-released on CD and is well worth getting if you want to hear what the man was like live in his heyday.

I can't pick a favourite, but the albums I seem to play most these days are Low and Heathen. Hearing Heathen/The Rays live was the highlight of the 2004 tour for me.

Station to Station is pretty good too...

jimmmm said:

Well maybe he is, but Eno's influence is nowhere to be found on classics such as Stationtostation, Diamond Dogs, Ziggy, Hunky Dory, Aladdin Sane, Scary Monsters, The Man Who Sold The World,etc. Don't over estimate Eno's contirbution to the legacy Bowie has given to the world.

i'm fully aware of the fact that Eno's influence is nowhere to be found on those records :wink: hence me mentioning just 'Low'. I think you may have mis-read what we were saying.

Back
Top Bottom