Das Vedanya! Russia scores the 2014 Winter Olympics!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thatsnotmypuppy

War Child
So it appears that Sochi, Russia will host the 2014 Winter Olympics. This is quite a controversial choice (over Salzburg in Austria and Pyeingchang in South Korea) as the Russians have absolutely no existing venues (Salzburg had 80% built, PC has 70% built), have not relaxed visa entry requirements and are planning on spending a crazy US$12 billion on the Games.

The bigger news is that Tokyo has announced they are bidding for the 2016 Games (going up against Chicago, Rio etc). The fact they are bidding isnt big news - the fact they announced they are bidding and starting marketing their bid PRIOR to the 2014 decision is the news.

Reports are the Japanese had been lobbying aginst the Koreans - even though they wrent bidding for the same Games.

The hot rumour is that South Korea will hit back with a 2016 bid from Busan to try to derail the Japanese - making a Chicago win a bigger possibility.

the politics involved are mindboggling!

Anyhow, good luck to Russia and Sochi (its near the Black sea apparently and will be a weird venue - it's apparently minus 20 celcius in the mountains 40km away, but 20 degrees celcius in the city centre where all the ice sports will be held).

I wonder how the building contracts will work in Sochi - with the Russian mafia running the city if you believe the word on the street :)

It was only that lack of any snow (well, legal 'snow') that failed us in the end! But really, the Winter Olympics go to some obscure places - Lillehammer, Albertville, Nagano, Sochi...

We are all very sad that Salzburg didn't make it once again, it's a shame that it was out of the race at such an early point. The disappointment here is really enormous. There is a lot of politics involved, not so much Olympic spirit.

last unicorn said:
We are all very sad that Salzburg didn't make it once again, it's a shame that it was out of the race at such an early point. The disappointment here is really enormous. There is a lot of politics involved, not so much Olympic spirit.

Stop yer whinging, least you've got snow in Austria...:wink:

And y'all got the 2008 European championships to look forward to, lucky buggers

Damn, Salzburg would have been gorgeous. I loved it there (for a few weekends, could never live in such a small place.... but that's what Vienna's for!).

Last unicorn, I didn't know there were interferencers from Vienna, I lived there last fall. What district are you in? I sadly couldn't make it when Fledermaus did its all-U2 night last October - that would have been incredible!

Salzburg did get shafted. Most of the venues are there, there was a great transport and accomodation plan, and they would have been the most financially responsible Games since Lillehammer - entire cost less than a billion $US and very little environmental impact. sadly the IOC just wants big bucks splashed around and doesn't give a shit about any real legacy.

It's not just your figure skating lists - there is quite a few articles about this floating around. There is talk of bribery and vote swaps. Tokyo may get in the shit for it too.

Sochi is such a risky move. They really need to start building immediately.

Back
Top Bottom